Genetic structure, behaviour and invasion history of the Argentine ant supercolony in Australia
Article first published online: 6 DEC 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 471–484, May 2011
How to Cite
Suhr, E. L., O’Dowd, D. J., McKechnie, S. W. and Mackay, D. A. (2011), Genetic structure, behaviour and invasion history of the Argentine ant supercolony in Australia. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 471–484. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00161.x
- Issue published online: 18 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 6 DEC 2010
- Received: 24 July 2010 Accepted: 31 August 2010
- ABS. 2007. Catalogue 5368.0 – International Trade in Good and Services, Australia, December 2007. Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra, ACT.
- 2008. Absence of aggression but not nestmate recognition in an Australian population of the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile. Insectes Sociaux 55:207–212. , , , , and .
- 2009. Global-scale analyses of chemical ecology and population genetics in the invasive Argentine ant. Molecular Ecology 18:997–1005. , , and .
- 2004. The diminutive supercolony: the Argentine ants of the southeastern United States. Molecular Ecology 13:2235–2242. , , and .
- 1967. Phylogenetic analysis: models and estimation procedures. American Journal of Human Genetics 19:233–257. , and .
- 2003. Bayesian analysis of genetic differentiation between populations. Genetics 163:367–374. , , and .
- 2004. BAPS 2: enhanced possibilities for the analysis of genetic population structure. Bioinformatics 20:2363–2369. , , , and .
- 2007a. Large-scale unicoloniality: the population and colony structure of the invasive Argentine ant (Linepithema humile) in New Zealand. Insectes Sociaux 54:275–282. , , , and .
- 2007b. Inferring historical introduction pathways with mitochondrial DNA: the case of introduced Argentine ants (Linepithema humile) into New Zealand. Diversity and Distributions 13:510–518. , , , and .
- DOTARS. 2007. Perth-Adelaide Corridor Strategy. Department of Transport and Regional Services, Canberra, ACT.
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2008. PHYLIP (Phylogeny Inference Package), Version 3.68. Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- 2002. Evolution of supercolonies: the Argentine ants of southern Europe. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 99:6075–6079. , , and .
- 2009. Unicolonial ants: where do they come from, what are they and where are they going? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 24:341–349. , , , and .
- 2004. Colony structure in introduced and native populations of the invasive Argentine ant, Linepithema humile. Insectes Sociaux 51:378–386.
- 2008. Nest connectivity and colony structure in unicolonial Argentine ants. Insectes Sociaux 55:397–403. , , and .
- 2000. Influence of Argentine ant and coastal brown ant (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) invasions on ant communities in Perth gardens, Western Australia. Urban Ecosystems 4:277–292. , , and .
- 1999. Animal behavior: an essential component of invasion biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14:328–331. , and .
- 1998. Loss of intraspecific aggression in the success of a widespread invasive social insect. Science 282:949–952. , , and .
- 2002a. The causes and consequences of ant invasions. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33:181–233. , , , , and .
- 2002b. The role of abiotic factors in governing susceptibility to invasion: a test with a widespread invasive social insect. Ecology 83:1610–1619. , , and .
- 2009. Trade, transport and trouble: managing invasive species pathways in an era of globalization. The Journal of Applied Ecology 46:10–18.
- 2003. Genetic analysis of dispersal dynamics in an invading population of Argentine ants. Ecology 84:2832–2842. , and .
- 2002. Characterization of microsatellite loci for the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile, and their potential for analysis of colony structure in invading Hawaiin populations. Molecular Ecology Notes 2:94–95. , and .
- 1973. Chemicals for Argentine ant control. Journal of Agriculture Western Australia 14:195–196. , and .
- 2005. HP-RARE 1.0: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic richness. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:187–189.
- 1999. Low polymorphism at 19 microsatellite loci in a French population of Argentine ants (Linepithema humile). Molecular Ecology 8:1078–1080. , and .
- 2010. Consequences of ant invasions. In L.Lach, C. L.Parr, and K. L.Abbott, eds. Ant Ecology, pp. 261–286. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2002. Evolutionary genetics of invasive species. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:386–391.
- 1979. Argentine ant. South Australia Department of Agriculture Fact Sheet AGDEX 612.
- 1987. Technical Report number 111: Argentine ant, Department of Agriculture South Australia. , and .
- 1999. Australia in the Global Economy: Continuity and Change. Cambridge University Press, Oakleigh. , and .
- 1975. The bottleneck effect and genetic variability in populations. Evolution 29:1–10. , , and .
- 1968. Argentine ants. Australian Natural History 16:12–15.
- 2006. Native supercolonies of unrelated individuals in the invasive Argentine ant. Evolution 60:782–791. , , , , and .
- 2004. GeneClass2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migration detection. Journal of Heredity 95:536–539. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Studying invasion: have we missed the boat. Ecology Letters 8:715–721. , and .
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 94:9197–9201. , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (Version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 2007. Interference competition by Argentine ants displaces native ants: implications for biotic resistance to invasion. Biological Invasions 9:73–85. , and .
- 2009a. Impacts of the invasive Argentine ant on native ants and other invertebrates in coastal scrub in southeastern Australia. Austral Ecology 34:239–248. , and .
- 2009b. New mutualism for old: indirect disruption and direct facilitation of seed dispersal following Argentine ant invasion. Oecologia 158:709–716. , and .
- 2001. The population biology of invasive species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32:305–332. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Behavioral and genetic differentiation between native and introduced populations of the Argentine ant. Biological Invasions 1:43–53. , , , and .
- 2001. Patterns of spread in biological invasions dominated by long-distance jump dispersal: insights from Argentine ants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 98:1095–1100. , , and .
- 2002. Spatiotemporal patterns of intraspecific aggression in the invasive Argentine ant. Animal Behaviour 64:697–708. , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetics and behavior of a colonizing species: the invasive Argentine ant. The American Naturalist 172:S72–S84. , , and .
- 2000. Invasion of Argentine ant, Linepithema humile, into Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan. Japanese Journal of Applied Entomology and Zoology 44:127–129.
- 2009. Genetic and behavioural evidence for a city-wide supercolony of the invasive Argentine ant Linepithema humile (Mayr) (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in southeastern Australia. Australian Journal of Entomology 48:78–82. , , and .
- 2009a. Intercontinental union of Argentine ants: behavioral relationships among introduced populations in Europe, North America, and Asia. Insectes Sociaux 56:143–147. , , , , , and .
- 2009b. Four mutually incompatible Argentine ant supercolonies in Japan: inferring invasion history of introduced Argentine ants from their social structure. Biological Invasions 11:2329–2339. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Condition-specific competition between invasive Argentine ants and Australian Iridomyrmex. Journal of Animal Ecology 74:532–542. , and .
- 2001. Population genetics and colony structure of the Argentine ant (Linepithema humile) in its native and introduced ranges. Evolution 55:976–985. , and .
- 2000. Reduced genetic variation and the success of an invasive species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 97:5948–5953. , , , and .
- 1997. Introduced species: a significant component of human-casued global change. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 21:1–16. , , , , and .
- 2009. Dynamics and genetic structure of Argentine ant supercolonies in their native range. Evolution 63:1627–1639. , , , , and .
- 2010. The worldwide expansion of the Argentine ant. Diversity and Distributions 16:170–186. , , , , and .
- 2006. Invasion of Argentine ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in South Australia: impacts on community composition and abundance of invertebrates in urban parklands. Austral Ecology 31:567–576.
- 2003. An experimental study of the relative humidity preference and survival of the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile (Hymenoptera: Formicidae): comparisons with a native Iridomyrmex species in South Australia. Insectes Sociaux 50:355–360. , and .
- 2004. Comparisons of upper thermal tolerances between the invasive Argentine ant (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) and two native Australian ant species. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 97:971–975. , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 2006. A disjunct Argentine ant metacolony in Macaronesia and southwestern Europe. Biological Invasions 8:1123–1129. , and .
- 2009. Worldwide spread of the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Myrmecological News 12:187–194. , , , , and .
- 2004. Taxonomy and distribution of the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 97:1204–1215.
- 2010. The global expansion of a single ant supercolony. Evolutionary Applications 3:136–143. , , and .
- 1965. The interpretation of population structure by F-statistics with special regards to systems of mating. Evolution 19:393–420.