Competitive seedlings and inherited traits: a test of rapid evolution of Elymus multisetus (big squirreltail) in response to cheatgrass invasion
Article first published online: 29 OCT 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 485–498, May 2011
How to Cite
Rowe, C. L. J. and Leger, E. A. (2011), Competitive seedlings and inherited traits: a test of rapid evolution of Elymus multisetus (big squirreltail) in response to cheatgrass invasion. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 485–498. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00162.x
- Issue published online: 18 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 29 OCT 2010
- Received: 29 August 2010 Accepted: 2 September 2010
- 2003. Contribution of relative growth rate to root foraging by annual and perennial grasses from California Oak Woodlands. Oecologia 136:424–430. , , and .
- 2006. Why are there so many small plants? Implications for species coexistence Journal of Ecology 94:569–580. , , and .
- 1999. Interspecific competition in natural plant communities: mechanisms, trade-offs and plant-soil feedbacks. Journal of Experimental Botany 50:29–37.
- 2000. The mineral nutrition of wild plants revisited: a re-evaluation of processes and patterns. Advances in Ecological Research 30:1–67. , and .
- 1991. The relation between aboveground and belowground biomass allocation patterns and competitive ability. Oecologia 87:551–559. , , and .
- 1991. Influence of temperature and cheatgrass competition on seedling development of 2 bunchgrasses. Journal of Range Management 44:347–354. , and .
- 1986. Water relations of xeric grasses in the field – interactions of mycorrhizas and competition. New Phytologist 104:559–571. , and .
- 1998. Seedling growth of Intermountain perennial and weedy annual grasses. Journal of Range Management 51:584–589. , , and .
- 1997. Exploitation of springtime ephemeral N pulses by six Great Basin plant species. Ecology 78:231–243. , and .
- 2003. Overlapping resource use in three Great Basin species: implications for community invasibility and vegetation dynamics. Journal of Ecology 91:36–48. , , and .
- 2005. Identifying land cover variability distinct from land cover change: cheatgrass in the Great Basin. Remote Sensing of Environment 94:204–213. , and .
- 1990. Effects of burning and clipping on 5 bunchgrasses in eastern Oregon. Great Basin Naturalist 50:115–120. , , and .
- 2008. Seed supply for broad scale restoration: maximizing evolutionary potential. Evolutionary Applications 1:587–597. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Facilitation in plant communities: the past, the present, and the future. Journal of Ecology 96:18–34. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Effects of invasive alien plants on fire regimes. BioScience 54:677–688. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Natural selection for resistance to the allelopathic effects of invasive plants. Journal of Ecology 93:576–583. , , , , and .
- 2005. And the beak shall inherit – evolution in response to invasion. Ecology Letters 8:944–951. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Plant competition underground. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 28:545–570. , and .
- 2007. What makes Great Basin sagebrush ecosystems invasible by Bromus tectorum? Ecological Monographs 77:117–145. , , , , and .
- 2008. Variation in resistance of experienced and naive seedlings of jewelweed (Impatiens capensis) to invasive garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata). Ohio Journal of Science 108:47–49. , and .
- 1992. Biological invasions by exotic grasses, the grass fire cycle, and global change. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 23:63–87. , and .
- 1973. Nutrient supply and growth of seminal root system in barley: effect of nitrate concentration on growth of axes and laterals. Journal of Experimental Botany 24:1189–1202. , , and .
- 1958. The Ecology of Invasions by Animals and Plants. Methuen, London.
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2001. Exotic plant invasion alters nitrogen dynamics in an arid grassland. Ecological Applications 11:1301–1310. , , , and .
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Pearson Education Limited, Essex, UK. , and .
- 2010. Can invasive species enhance competitive ability and restoration potential in native grass populations? Restoration Ecology. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2009.00611.x , , and .
- 1994. Architecture and biomass allocation as components of the plastic response of root systems to soil heterogeneity. In M.Caldwell, and R.Pearcy, eds. Exploitation of Environmental Heterogeneity by Plants, pp. 305–323. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- 1974. Genetic conservation – our evolutionary responsibility. Genetics 78:53–65.
- 1999. Disentangling the effects of root foraging and inherent growth rate on plant biomass accumulation in heterogeneous environments: a disentangling the effects of root foraging and inherent growth rate on plant biomass accumulation in heterogeneous environments: modeling study. Annals of Botany 84:305–311. , , , and .
- 1988. A comparative approach to predicting competitive ability from plant traits. Nature 334:242–243. , and .
- 2006. Ecological restoration and global climate change. Restoration Ecology 14:170–176. , , , and .
- 1991. Are seedlings from small seeds always inferior to seedling from large seeds? Effects of seed biomass on seedling growth in Pastinaca sativa L. New Phytologist 119:99–305. , , , and .
- 1975. Growth-characteristics of squirreltail seedlings in competition with medusahead. Journal of Range Management 28:283–285. , and .
- 1963. Secondary succession in annual vegetation in Southern Idaho. Ecology 44:810–812. , and .
- 2003. Plant ecotypes: genetic differentiation in the age of ecological restoration. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18:147–155. , and .
- 2002. Seedling survival from locally and commercially obtained seeds on two semiarid sites. Restoration Ecology 10:88–95. , and .
- 2004. Competition as a barrier to establishment of a native perennial grass (Elymus elymoides) in alien annual grass (Bromus tectorum) communities. Journal of Arid Environments 58:405–422. , and .
- 2008. Genotypic variation for root trait morphology in a white clover mapping population grown in sand. Crop Science 48:487–494. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Leaf nitrogen productivity as a mechanism driving the success of invasive annual grasses under low and high nitrogen supply. Journal of Arid Environments 72:1775–1784.
- 2009. Root plasticity of native and invasive Great Basin species in response to soil nitrogen heterogeneity. Plant Ecology 202:211–220. , , , and .
- 1998. Viewpoint: the present status and future prospects of squirreltail research. Journal of Range Management 51:326–331.
- 2005. Status and use of important native grasses adapted to sagebrush communities. Pages 49–55. In N. L.Shaw, M.Pellant, and S. B.Monsen, eds. Sagegrouse habitat restoration symposium proceedings: 2001 June 4–7; Boise, ID. Proceedings RMRS-P-38. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fort Collins, Colorado, and USA. , and .
- 2003. Characterization of diversity among 3 squirreltail taxa. Journal of Range Management 56:474–482. , , , and .
- 1998. A comparative approach to examine competitive response of 48 wetland plant species. Journal of Vegetation Science 9:777–786. , , and .
- 2002. Relative competitive performance of 63 species of terrestrial herbaceous plants. Journal of Vegetation Science 13:5–16. , , , and .
- 2007. Seed and seedling ecology. In F. I.Pugnaire, and F.Valladares, eds. Functional Plant Ecology, pp. 549–580. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- 1998. When do genetic considerations require special approaches to ecological restoration? In , and , eds. Conservation Biology for the Coming Decade, pp. 345–363. Chapman and Hall, New York. , and .
- 2003. Amplified fragment length polymorphism in Elymus elymoides, Elymus multisetus, and other Elymus taxa. Canadian Journal of Botany-Revue Canadienne De Botanique 81:789–804. , , , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary responses of native plants to novel community members. Evolution 60:56–63.
- 2008. The adaptive value of remnant native plants in invaded communities: an example from the Great Basin. Ecological Applications 18:1226–1235.
- 2004. Effects of temporal variability on rare plant persistence in annual systems. American Naturalist 164:350–363. , and .
- 1993. Biological invasions – lessons for ecology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 8:133–137.
- 1981. Invasion of Bromus-tectorum into western North America – an ecological chronicle. Agro-Ecosystems 7:145–165.
- 2000. Biotic invasions: causes, epidemiology, global consequences, and control. Ecological Applications 10:689–710. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Coexistence among native and introduced freshwater amphipods (Crustacea): habitat utilization patterns in littoral habitats. Archiv Fur Hydrobiologie 151:591–607. , , , and .
- 1992. Root communication mechanisms and intracommunity distributions of 2 Mojave Desert shrubs. Ecology 73:2145–2151. , and .
- 1989. Competitive ability and adaptation to fertile and infertile soils in 2 Eriophorum species. Ecology 70:736–749. , and .
- 2005. “How local is local?”– a review of practical and conceptual issues in the genetics of restoration. Restoration Ecology 13:432–440. , , , and .
- 2007. Post-invasion evolution of native plant populations: a test of biological resilience. Oikos 116:1493–1500. , and .
- 2004. Native plant community composition and genetic diversity associated with long-term weed invasions. Western North American Naturalist 64:503–513. , , and .
- 1990. Soil water exploitation after fire: competition between Bromus tectorum (cheatgrass) and two native species. Oecologia 83:7–13. , , and .
- 2003. Mapping the cheatgrass-caused departure from historical natural fire regimes in the Great Basin, USA. In , and , eds. Fire, Fuel Treatments, and Ecological Restoration Proceedings, 2002 April 16–18, Fort Collins, CO, pp. 281–287. Proceedings RMRS-P-29. USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fort Collins, CO. , , and .
- 2001. Nonlocal transplantation and outbreeding depression in the subshrub Lotus scoparius (Fabaceae). American Journal of Botany 88:258–269. , and .
- 1997. Restoration biology: a population biology perspective. Restoration Ecology 5:277–290. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Effect of competition by cheatgrass on shoot growth of Idaho fescue. Journal of Range Management 48:402–405. , and .
- Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS). 2008. Natural Soil Survey Geographic (SSURGO) Database. http://soildatamart.nrcs.usda.gov (accessed on October 30 2008).
- 2008. More plant biomass results in more offspring production in annuals, or does it? Oikos 117:1298–1307. , and .
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72:293–309. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Cheatgrass competition and establishment of desert needlegrass seedlings. Journal of Range Management 55:70–72. , and .
- 2003. Managing microevolution: restoration in the face of global change. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 1:469–478. , and .
- 1998. Use of native plants on federal lands: policy and practice. Journal of Range Management 51:625–632. , , and .
- 1987. Maternal effects in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 18:209–235. , and .
- 1999. Plant root proliferation in nitrogen-rich patches confers competitive advantage. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 266:431–435. , , , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity – global biodiversity scenarios for the year 2100 Science 287:1770–1774. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Introduced species as evolutionary traps. Ecology Letters 8:241–246. , , , and .
- 2005. Increasing native forb seed supplies for the Great Basin. In R. K.Dumroese, L. E.Riley, and T. D.Landis, eds. Forest and Conservation Nursery Associations Proceedings, 2004 July 1215, Charleston, NC, pp. 94–102. Proceedings RMRS-P-35. USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fort Collins, CO. , , , and .
- 1984. Seed variation in wild radish – effect of seed size on components of seedling and adult fitness. Ecology 65:1105–1112.
- 2000. Precious Heritage: The Status of Biodiversity in the United States. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , , and .
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18:94–101. , , and .
- 2006. Scale and plant invasions: a theory of biotic acceptance. Preslia 78:405–426. , , , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary responses of natives to introduced species: what do introductions tell us about natural communities? Ecology Letters 9:354–371. , , and .
- 1991. Plant traits and resource reduction for 5 grasses growing on a nitrogen gradient. Ecology 72:685–700. , and .
- 2000. Outbreeding depression varies among cohorts of Ipomopsis aggregata planted in nature. Evolution 54:485–491. , , and .
- 1996. Biological Invasions. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- 1977. Squirreltail seed germination. Journal of Range Management 30:33–36. , and .
- 1972. Alien plants in great basin. Journal of Range Management 25:194–201. , , and .
- 2003. Germination of seeds of big and bottlebrush squirreltail. Journal of Range Management 56:277–281. , , and .