The origin and evolution of a recent agricultural weed: population genetic diversity of weedy populations of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) in Spain and France
Version of Record online: 26 OCT 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 499–514, May 2011
How to Cite
Muller, M.-H., Latreille, M. and Tollon, C. (2011), The origin and evolution of a recent agricultural weed: population genetic diversity of weedy populations of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) in Spain and France. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 499–514. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00163.x
- Issue online: 18 APR 2011
- Version of Record online: 26 OCT 2010
- Received: 16 August 2010 Accepted: 19 September 2010
- 1994. Gene flow between cultivated and wild sunflowers. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 89:655–660. , and .
- 2009. Fine-scale geographical structure of genetic diversity in inland wild beet populations. Molecular Ecology 18:3201–3215. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Natural hybridization and the evolution of domesticated, pest and disease organisms. Molecular Ecology 13:997–1007.
- 2009. A weed-crop complex in sorghum: the dynamics of genetic diversity in a traditional farming system. American Journal of Botany 96:1869–1879. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Weed genomics: new tools to understand weed biology. Trends in Plant Science 9:391–398. , , , and .
- 2001. GENETIX 4.02, logiciel sous WindowsTM pour la génétique des populations. Laboratoire Génome, Populations, Interactions. CNRS UMR 5000, Université de Montpellier II, Montpellier, France. , , , , and .
- 1993. The origin and evolution of weed beets: consequences for the breeding and release of herbicide-resistant transgenic sugar beets. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 87:471–478. , , , , and .
- 2002. Genetic analysis of sunflower domestication. Genetics 161:1257–1267. , , , and .
- 2006. Weed evolution after crop gene introgression: greater survival and fecundity of hybrids in a new environment. Ecology Letters 9:1198–1209. , , and .
- 1967. Phylogenetic analysis: models and estimation procedures. American Journal of Human Genetics 19:233–257. , and .
- 2006. Letting the gene out of the bottle: the population genetics of genetically modified crops. New Phytologist 170:429–443. , and .
- 2003. Current knowledge of gene flow in plants: implications for transgene flow. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, Series B 358:1163–1170.
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 2002. Potential gene flow from cultivated sunflower to volunteer, wild Helianthus species in Europe. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 89:183–190. , , and .
- 2005. PHYLIP (Phylogeny inference package) version 3.6. Distributed by the author. Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle.
- 2001. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). http://www.unil.ch/izea/softwares/fstat.html (accessed on 6 April 2006).
- 2004. Origin of extant domesticated sunflowers in eastern North America. Nature 430:201–205. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Common sunflower (Helianthus annuus var. annuus) – potential threat to coexistence of sunflower crops in Central Europe. Proceedings of the 2nd European Conference on Co-Existence between GM and non-GM based agricultural supply chain. pp. 271–272. Montpellier, France. , , , and .
- 2002. Molecular diversity of male sterility inducing and male-fertile cytoplasms in the genus Helianthus. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 104:562–570.
- 2009. Inferring weak population structure with the assistance of sample group information. Molecular Ecology Resources 9:1322–1332. , , , and .
- 2008. Genetics and evolution of weedy Helianthus annuus populations: adaptation of an agricultural weed. Molecular Ecology 17:384–394. , and .
- 2007. Origins and population genetics of weedy rice in the USA. Molecular Ecology 16:4523–4535. , and .
- 2007. Hybrids between cultivated and wild carrots in natural populations in Denmark. Heredity 99:185–192. , and .
- 2003. Gene flow from imidazolinone-resistant domesticated sunflower to wild relatives. Weed Science 51:854–862. , , , and .
- 2009. Occurrence, distribution and distinctive morphological traits of weedy Helianthus annuus L. populations in Spain and France. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 56:869–877. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Molecular Evolutionary Genetics. New York, Columbia Univeristy Press.
- 2010. Using linked markers to estimate the genetic age of a volunteer population: a theoretical and empirical approach. Heredity 105:384–393. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Identifying populations for conservation on the basis of genetic markers. Conservation Biology 12:844–855. , , and .
- R Development Core Team (2008). R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria ISBN 3-900051-07-0. http://www.R-project.org.
- 2008. Disentangling interactions between adaptive divergence and gene flow when ecology drives diversification. Ecology Letters 11:624–636. , and .
- 1995. Population genetics software for exact test and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 2006. Cultivated Helianthus annuus (Asteraceae) volunteers as a genetic “bridge” to weedy sunflower populations in North America. American Journal of Botany 93:127–133. , and .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 1994. Cytoplasmic male sterility in sunflower: origin, inheritance, and frequency in natural populations. Journal of Heredity 85:233–238. , , , and .
- 2008. Molecular mapping of an apical branching gene of cultivated sunflower (Helianthus annuus). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 117:19–28. , , and .
- 2004. DISTRUCT: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:137–138.
- 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenic trees. Molecular Biology and Evolution 4:406–425. , and .
- 2008. Molecular and biochemical characterization of an induced mutation conferring imidazolinone resistance in sunflower. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 118:105–112. , , , , and .
- 1998. Fecundity, phenology, and seed dormancy of F1 wild-crop hybrids in sunflower (Helianthus annuus, Asteraceae). American Journal of Botany 85:794–801. , , , , and .
- 2003. Microsatellites uncover extraordinary diversity in native American landraces and wild populations of cultivated sunflower. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 106:990–1003. , and .
- 2002. Simple sequence repeat map of the sunflower genome. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 105:1124–1136. , , , , and .
- 2003. PCR-multiplexes for a genome-wide framework of simple sequence repeat marker loci in cultivated sunflower. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 107:6–19. , , and .
- 1996. Crop-weed complexes: the complex relationship between crop plants and their wild relatives. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 45:135–155. , and .
- 2005. Asian rice and weedy rice – evolutionary perspectives. In J.Gressel, ed. Crop Ferality and Volunteerism, pp. 257–277. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, Boca Raton, Florida, USA. , , , , and .
- 2006. Dispersal of wild sunflower by seed and persistant basal stalks in some areas of central Italy. Helia 45:89–94. , , , , and .
- 2006. Documenting domestication: the intersection of genetics and archaeology. Trends in Genetics 22:139–155. , , , and .
- 2005. Establishment of an effective set of simple sequence repeat markers for sunflower variety identification and diversity assessment. Canadian Journal of Botany 83:66–72. , , , and .