Human-induced morphological shifts in an island lizard
Article first published online: 17 FEB 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: In the light of evolution: interdisciplinary challenges in food, health, and the environment
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 388–396, March 2011
How to Cite
Marnocha, E., Pollinger, J. and Smith, T. B. (2011), Human-induced morphological shifts in an island lizard. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 388–396. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00170.x
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 17 FEB 2011
- Received: 22 July 2010 Accepted: 11 August 2010
- 2001. Genetic shift in photoperiodic response correlated with global warming. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 98:14509–14511. , and .
- 2009a. Sex-specific dispersal and its selective consequences in the brown anole, Anolis sagrei. Journal of Animal Ecology 78:617–624.
- 2009b. Experimental evidence that competition and habitat use shape the individual fitness surface. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:97–108.
- 2008. Postcopulatory fertilization bias as a form of cryptic sexual selection. Evolution 62:1137–1148. , and .
- 2007. The quick and the dead: correlational selection on morphology, performance, and habitat use in island lizards. Evolution 61:2493–2503. , and .
- 2007. Experimentally replicated disruptive selection on performance traits in a Caribbean lizard. Evolution 62:478–484. , and .
- 2007. Intraspecific variation in Anolis sagrei mirrors the adaptive radiation of Greater Antillean anoles. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 90:189–199. , , and .
- 1992. Host race radiation in the soapberry bug: natural history with the history. Evolution 46:1052–1069. , and .
- 2007. A–Z of Bahamas Heritage. MacMillan, Oxford.
- 2005. Interactive effects of episodic hypoxia and cannibalism on juvenile blue crab mortality. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 325:18–26. , , and .
- ESRI. 2004. ArcGIS Version 9.3. ESRI, Redlands, CA.
- 2000. Natural selection and sympatric divergence in the apply maggot Rhagoletis pomonella. Nature 407:739–742. , , and .
- 2005. Global consequences of land use. Science 309:570–574. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. FSTAT, version 1.2a: a computer program to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486.
- 2006. Contrasting hybridization rates between sympatric three-spined sticklebacks highlight the fragility of reproductive barriers between evolutionary young species. Molecular Ecology 15:739–752. , , and .
- 2002. Towards an operational MODIS continuous field of percent tree cover algorithm: examples using AVHRR and MODIS data. Remote Sensing of the Environment 83:303–319. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Perspective: highly variable loci and their interpretation in evolution and conservation. Evolution 53:313–318.
- 2006. Possible human impacts on adaptive radiation: beak size bimodality in Darwin’s finches. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 273:1887–1894. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Evolutionary principles and their practical application. Evolutionary Applications 4:159–183. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. A comparative analysis of the ecological significance of maximal locomotor performance in Caribbean Anolis lizards. Evolution 52:219–226. , and .
- 1999. Phylogenetic relationships and tempo of early diversification in Anolis lizards. Systematic Biology 48:254–285. , , , and .
- 1993. Estimation of genetic distance and coefficient of gene diversity from single-probe multilocus DNA fingerprinting data. Molecular Biology and Evolution 11:120–127. , and .
- 1989. Effects of forest fragmentation on dung and carrion communities in central Amazonia. Ecology 70:1715–1725.
- 2005. Riparian vegetation loss, stream channelization, and web-weaving spiders in northern Japan. Ecological Research 20:646–651. , , and .
- 1999. POPULATIONS: Population genetic software (individuals or populations distances, phylogenetic trees). http://bioinformatics.org/~tryphon/populations
- 2006. Shared and unique features of diversification in greater Antillean Anolis ecomorphs. Evolution 60:362–369. , , and .
- 1990. The evolution of form and function: morphology and locomotor performance in West Indian Anolis lizards. Evolution 44:1189–1203.
- 1994. Integrative approaches to evolutionary ecology: Caribbean Anolis lizards as model systems. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 25:467–493.
- 1989. The effects of morphology and perch diameter on sprint performance of Anolis lizards. Journal of Experimental Biology 145:23–30. , and .
- 1994. Adaptation and constraint in the evolution of specialization of Bahamas Anolis lizards. Evolution 48:1786–1798. , , and .
- 1998. Contingency and determinism in replicated adaptive radiations of island lizards. Science 279:2115–2118. , , , , and .
- 2001. Experimental studies of adaptive differentiation in Bahamian Anolis lizards. Genetica 112:399–415. , , , and .
- 2006. Rapid temporal reversal in predator-driven natural selection. Science 314:1111–1112. , , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary change in human-altered habitats: morphological shifts, differential selection, and environmental drivers of phenotypic plasticity in the lizard Anolis sagrei. PhD dissertation, University of California, Los Angeles.
- Millenium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005. Ecosystem and Human Well-Being: Biodiversity Synthesis. World Resources Institute, Washington, DC.
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37:637–669.
- 1995. GENEPOP Version 3.1: population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- SAS. 2006. JMP Version 6.0.3. SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1997. Cichlid fish diversity threatened by eutrophication that curbs sexual selection. Science 277:1808–1811. , , and .
- 2008. Speciation reversal and biodiversity dynamics with hybridization in changing environments. Molecular Ecology 17:30–44. , , , and .
- 2011. Evolution and behavioural responses to human-induced rapid environmental change. Evolutionary Applications 4:367–387. , , and .
- 1993. Rapid human-induced evolution of insect host associations. Nature 366:681–683. , , and .
- 2008. Birdsong and anthropogenic noise: implications and applications for conservation. Molecular Ecology 17:72–83. , and .
- 2008. Preface to the special issue. Evolutionary change in human-altered environments. Molecular Ecology 17:1–8. , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of human disturbance in a rainforest bird species from Central Africa. Molecular Ecology 17:58–71. , , , , , , et al.
- StataCorp. 2007. Stata Statistical Software: Release 10. StataCorp, College Station, TX.
- 1999. Shrinking forest shrinks skink: morphological change in response to rainforest fragmentation in the prickly forest skink (Gnypetoscincus queenslandiae). Biological Conservation 91:159–167. , , and .
- 2006. Speciation in reverse: morphological and genetic evidence of the collape of a three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteud aculeatus) species pair. Molecular Ecology 15:343–355. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary responses by native species to major anthropogenic changes to their ecosystems: Pacific salmon in the Columbia River hydropower system. Molecular Ecology 17:252–274. , , , and .
- 2003. Developmental Plasticity and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1972. The origin of faunas. Evolution of lizard congeners in a complex island fauna: a trial analysis. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 6:47–89.
- 1983. Ecomorphs, faunas, island size, and diverse endpoints in island radiations of Anolis. In R. B.Huey, E. R.Pianka, and T. W.Schoener, eds. Lizard Ecology: Studies of a Model Organism, pp. 326–370. Harvard University Press, Cambridge.