Mapping evolutionary process: a multi-taxa approach to conservation prioritization
Article first published online: 17 FEB 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: In the light of evolution: interdisciplinary challenges in food, health, and the environment
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 397–413, March 2011
Total views since publication: 1422
How to Cite
Thomassen, H. A., Fuller, T., Buermann, W., Milá, B., Kieswetter, C. M., Jarrín-V., P., Cameron, S. E., Mason, E., Schweizer, R., Schlunegger, J., Chan, J., Wang, O., Peralvo, M., Schneider, C. J., Graham, C. H., Pollinger, J. P., Saatchi, S., Wayne, R. K. and Smith, T. B. (2011), Mapping evolutionary process: a multi-taxa approach to conservation prioritization. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 397–413. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00172.x
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 17 FEB 2011
- Received: 7 October 2010 Accepted: 26 October 2010
- 2002. Geographical distributions of spiny pocket mice in South America: insights from predictive models. Global Ecology and Biogeography 11:131–141. , , and .
- 1984. On the measurement of natural and sexual selection: applications. Evolution 38:720–734. , and .
- 2001. Adaptive geographic variation in western scrub-jays. Ecology 82:2617–2627. , , and .
- 2010. Global conservation significance of Ecuador’s Yasuni National Park. PLoS ONE 5:e8767. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0008767. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Divergent selection drives the adaptive radiation of crossbills. Evolution 57:1176–1181.
- 2008. Predicting species distributions across the Amazonian and Andean regions using remote sensing data. Journal of Biogeography 35:1160–1176. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. The role of geography and ecology in shaping the phylogeography of the speckled hummingbird (Adelomyia melanogenys) in Ecuador. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 43:795–807. , , , and .
- 2001. Rapid plant diversification: planning for an evolutionary future. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 98:5452–5457. , and .
- 2000. Considering evolutionary processes in conservation biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15:290–295. , , , and .
- 2009. Conservation significance of America’s newest system of protected areas: national landscape conservation system. Natural Areas Journal 29:224–254. , , and .
- 2000. Mammals of the Neotropics, Volume 3: Ecuador, Bolivia, Brazil. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , and .
- 1992. Conservation evaluation and phylogenetic diversity. Biological Conservation 61:1–10.
- 2007. Using generalized dissimilarity modelling to analyse and predict patterns of beta diversity in regional biodiversity assessment. Diversity and Distributions 13:252–264. , , , and .
- 2010. Leaving the oil under the Amazon: Ecuador’s Yasuni-ITT Initiative. Biotropica 42:63–66. , , and .
- 2007. Ecosystems, their properties, goods, and services. In M. L.Parry, O. F.Canziani, J. P.Palutikof, P. J.van der Linden, and C. E.Hanson, eds. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, pp. 211–272. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Preserving the evolutionary potential of floras in biodiversity hotspots. Nature 445:757–760. , , , , , , et al.
- 1974. Genetic conservation: our evolutionary responsibility. Genetics 78:53–65.
- 2004. Integrating phylogenetics and environmental niche models to explore speciation mechanisms in dendrobatid frogs. Evolution 58:1781–1793. , , , , and .
- 1976. Darwin’s finches: population variation and natural selection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 73:257–261. , , , , and .
- 2006. The Conservation of Genetic Diversity: Science and Policy Needs in a Changing World. JNCC report, No. 383. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Towards an operational MODIS continuous field of percent tree cover algorithm: examples using AVHRR and MODIS data. Remote Sensing of the Environment 83:303–319. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Antipredator behaviors of newly metamorphosed green frogs (Rana clamitans) and leopard frogs (R. pipiens) in encounters with eastern garter snakes (Thamnophis s-sirtalis). American Midland Naturalist 137:136–144. , and .
- 2006. Effectiveness of biodiversity indicators varies with extent, grain, and region. Biological Conservation 132:448–457. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. International Journal of Climatology 25:1965–1978. , , , , and .
- IUCN, Conservation International, and NatureServe. 2008. An analysis of amphibians on the 2008 IUCN Red List. http://www.iucnredlist.org/amphibians (accessed on 12 November 2008).
- 2010. Morphological variation in the Short-tailed Fruit Bat (Carollia) in Ecuador, with comments on the practical and philosophical aspects of boundaries among species. Integrative Zoology 5:226–240. , , and .
- 2004. Lifetime reproductive success in relation to morphology in the house sparrow Passer domesticus. Journal of Animal Ecology 73:599–611. , , , , , and .
- 1998. The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS): land remote sensing for global change research. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 36:1228–1249. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Influence of representation targets on the total area of conservation-area networks. Conservation Biology 22:673–682. , , and .
- 2002. Place prioritization for biodiversity reserve network design: a comparison of the SITES and ResNet software packages for coverage and efficiency. Diversity and Distributions 8:297–306. , , , and .
- 2009. Incorporating ecological and evolutionary processes into continental-scale conservation planning. Ecological Applications 19:206–217. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Global ice and land climate studies using scatterometer image data. EOS Transactions AGU 82:503. , , , , and .
- 2000. Analysis of an evolutionary species–area relationship. Nature 408:847–850. , and .
- 1979. A new frog species of the Eleutherodactylus fitzingeri group from the Pacific Andean versant in Ecuador. Herpetologica 35:228–233.
- 2006. Isolation by resistance. Evolution 60:1551–1561.
- 2008. Ecomorphology of migratory and sedentary populations of the yellow-rumped warblers (Dendroica coronata). Condor 110:335–344. , , and .
- 2009. Divergence with gene flow and fine-scale phylogeographic structure in the wedge-billed woodcreeper Glyphorynchus spirurus, a Neotropical rainforest bird. Molecular Ecology 18:2879–2995. , , , and .
- 2006. Integrating biodiversity representation with multiple criteria in North-Central Namibia using non-dominated alternatives and a modified Analytic Hierarchy Process. Biological Conservation 129:181–191. , , and .
- 1994. Defining ‘evolutionarily significant units’ for conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9:373–375.
- 2002. Strategies to protect biological diversity and the evolutionary processes that sustain it. Systematic Biology 51:238–254.
- 1998. Comparative phylogeography and the identification of genetically divergent areas for conservation. Molecular Ecology 7:419–429. , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403:853–858. , , , , and .
- 2002. Global products of vegetation leaf area and fraction absorbed PAR from year one of MODIS data. Remote Sensing of the Environment 83:214–231. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Morphological correlates of bite force and diet in the skull and mandible of phyllostomid bats. Functional Ecology 23:715–723. , , and .
- 1994. Wing design, flight performance and habitat use in bats. In P. C.Wainwright, and S. M.Reilly, ed. Ecological Morphology: Integrative Organismal Biology, pp. 205–239. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2005. Global hotspots of species richness are not congruent with endemism or threat. Nature 436:1016–1019. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Digital Distribution Maps of the Mammals of the Western Hemisphere, version 3.0. NatureServe, Arlington, VA, USA. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Identification of biodiversity conservation priorities using predictive modeling: an application for the equatorial pacific region of South America. Biodiversity Conservation 16:2649–2675. , , , and .
- 1998. Alternate species concepts as bases for determining priority conservation areas. Conservation Biology 13:427–431. , and .
- 2006. Maximum entropy modeling of species geographic distributions. Ecological Modelling 190:231–259. , , and .
- 1994. The cost of ad hoc conservation: a case study in western New South Wales. Australian Journal of Ecology 19:375–384. , and .
- 1994. Shades of irreplaceability: towards a measure of the contribution of sites to a reservation goal. Biodiversity Conservation 3:242–262. , , and .
- 2005. PATHMATRIX: a geographical information system tool to compute effective distances among samples. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:177–180.
- 2001. The Birds of Ecuador. Volume II: A Field Guide. Christopher Helm, London. , and .
- 2007. Digital Distribution Maps of the Birds of the Western Hemisphere, version 3.0. NatureServe, Arlington, VA, USA. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Phylogeographic lineages and species comparisons in conservation analysis: a case study of California herpetofauna. American Naturalist 167:655–666. , , , , and .
- 2006. Designing large-scale conservation corridors for pattern and process. Conservation Biology 20:549–561. , , , , and .
- 2004. Place prioritization for biodiversity conservation using probabilistic surrogate distribution data. Diversity and Distributions 10:125–133. , , , , and .
- 2006. Biodiversity conservation planning tools: present status and challenges for the future. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 31:123–159. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The ConsNet software platform for systematic conservation planning. In A.Moilanen, K. A.Wilson, and H. P.Possingham, eds. Spatial Conservation Prioritization: Quantitative Methods and Computational Tools, pp. 235–248. Oxford University Press, New York. , , , , and .
- 1995. Environmental influence on life-history traits – growth, survival, and fecundity in Black Brant (Branta bernicla). Ecology 76:2404–2414. , , and .
- 2011. Building evolutionary resilience for conserving biodiversity under climate change. Evolutionary Applications 4:326–337. , , and .
- 2002. Assessing biodiversity conservation priorities: ecosystem risk and representativeness in continental Ecuador. Landscape and Urban Planning 59:95–110. , , and .
- 2010. Erosion of lizard diversity by climate change and altered thermal niches. Science 328:894–899. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Resource use by bill morphs of an African finch: evidence for intraspecific competition. Ecology 71:1246–1257.
- 2008. The importance of conserving evolutionary processes. In S. P.Carroll, and C. W.Fox, eds. Conservation Biology: Evolution in Action, pp. 85–98. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 1993. The preservation of process: the missing element of conservation programs. Biodiversity Letters 1:164–167. , , and .
- 2001. Biodiversity hotspots and beyond: the need for preserving environmental transitions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16:431. , , , and .
- 2005. Putting process on the map: why ecotones are important for conserving biodiversity. In A.Purvis, J.Gittleman, and T.Brooks, eds. Phylogeny and Conservation, pp. 166–197. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , , , , and .
- 2008. Artificial selection, naturalization, and fitness: Darwin’s pigeons revisited. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 93:657–665.
- 2010. Modeling environmentally associated morphological and genetic variation in a rainforest bird, and its application to conservation prioritization. Evolutionary Applications 3:1–16. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Climate change and habitat destruction: a deadly anthropogenic cocktail. Proceedings of Biological Sciences 270:467–473.
- 2010. Conservation genomics of Atlantic salmon: variation in gene expression between and within regions of the Bay of Fundy. Molecular Ecology 19:1842–1859. , , , , and .
- 2008. Are hotspots of evolutionary potential adequately protected in southern California? Biological Conservation 141:1648–1664. , , , , and .
- 1991. What to protect? Systematics and the agony of choice. Biological Conservation 55:235–254. , , and .
- 2001. Characterizing diversity in salmon from the Pacific Northwest. Journal of Fish Biology 59(Suppl. A):1–41. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Sensitivity of systematic reserve selection to decision about scale, biological data, and targets: case study from Southern British Columbia. Conservation Biology 18:655–666. , , , , and .
- 1977. The relationships of locomotion to differential predation on Pseudacris triseriata (Anura: Hylidae). Ecology 58:830–839. , and .