Mapping evolutionary process: a multi-taxa approach to conservation prioritization
Article first published online: 17 FEB 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: In the light of evolution: interdisciplinary challenges in food, health, and the environment
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 397–413, March 2011
How to Cite
Thomassen, H. A., Fuller, T., Buermann, W., Milá, B., Kieswetter, C. M., Jarrín-V., P., Cameron, S. E., Mason, E., Schweizer, R., Schlunegger, J., Chan, J., Wang, O., Peralvo, M., Schneider, C. J., Graham, C. H., Pollinger, J. P., Saatchi, S., Wayne, R. K. and Smith, T. B. (2011), Mapping evolutionary process: a multi-taxa approach to conservation prioritization. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 397–413. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00172.x
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 17 FEB 2011
- Received: 7 October 2010 Accepted: 26 October 2010
- 2002. Geographical distributions of spiny pocket mice in South America: insights from predictive models. Global Ecology and Biogeography 11:131–141. , , and .
- 1984. On the measurement of natural and sexual selection: applications. Evolution 38:720–734. , and .
- 2001. Adaptive geographic variation in western scrub-jays. Ecology 82:2617–2627. , , and .
- 2010. Global conservation significance of Ecuador’s Yasuni National Park. PLoS ONE 5:e8767. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0008767. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Divergent selection drives the adaptive radiation of crossbills. Evolution 57:1176–1181.
- 2008. Predicting species distributions across the Amazonian and Andean regions using remote sensing data. Journal of Biogeography 35:1160–1176. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. The role of geography and ecology in shaping the phylogeography of the speckled hummingbird (Adelomyia melanogenys) in Ecuador. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 43:795–807. , , , and .
- 2001. Rapid plant diversification: planning for an evolutionary future. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 98:5452–5457. , and .
- 2000. Considering evolutionary processes in conservation biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15:290–295. , , , and .
- 2009. Conservation significance of America’s newest system of protected areas: national landscape conservation system. Natural Areas Journal 29:224–254. , , and .
- 2000. Mammals of the Neotropics, Volume 3: Ecuador, Bolivia, Brazil. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , and .
- 1992. Conservation evaluation and phylogenetic diversity. Biological Conservation 61:1–10.
- 2007. Using generalized dissimilarity modelling to analyse and predict patterns of beta diversity in regional biodiversity assessment. Diversity and Distributions 13:252–264. , , , and .
- 2010. Leaving the oil under the Amazon: Ecuador’s Yasuni-ITT Initiative. Biotropica 42:63–66. , , and .
- 2007. Ecosystems, their properties, goods, and services. In M. L.Parry, O. F.Canziani, J. P.Palutikof, P. J.van der Linden, and C. E.Hanson, eds. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, pp. 211–272. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Preserving the evolutionary potential of floras in biodiversity hotspots. Nature 445:757–760. , , , , , , et al.
- 1974. Genetic conservation: our evolutionary responsibility. Genetics 78:53–65.
- 2004. Integrating phylogenetics and environmental niche models to explore speciation mechanisms in dendrobatid frogs. Evolution 58:1781–1793. , , , , and .
- 1976. Darwin’s finches: population variation and natural selection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 73:257–261. , , , , and .
- 2006. The Conservation of Genetic Diversity: Science and Policy Needs in a Changing World. JNCC report, No. 383. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Towards an operational MODIS continuous field of percent tree cover algorithm: examples using AVHRR and MODIS data. Remote Sensing of the Environment 83:303–319. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Antipredator behaviors of newly metamorphosed green frogs (Rana clamitans) and leopard frogs (R. pipiens) in encounters with eastern garter snakes (Thamnophis s-sirtalis). American Midland Naturalist 137:136–144. , and .
- 2006. Effectiveness of biodiversity indicators varies with extent, grain, and region. Biological Conservation 132:448–457. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. International Journal of Climatology 25:1965–1978. , , , , and .
- IUCN, Conservation International, and NatureServe. 2008. An analysis of amphibians on the 2008 IUCN Red List. http://www.iucnredlist.org/amphibians (accessed on 12 November 2008).
- 2010. Morphological variation in the Short-tailed Fruit Bat (Carollia) in Ecuador, with comments on the practical and philosophical aspects of boundaries among species. Integrative Zoology 5:226–240. , , and .
- 2004. Lifetime reproductive success in relation to morphology in the house sparrow Passer domesticus. Journal of Animal Ecology 73:599–611. , , , , , and .
- 1998. The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS): land remote sensing for global change research. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 36:1228–1249. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Influence of representation targets on the total area of conservation-area networks. Conservation Biology 22:673–682. , , and .
- 2002. Place prioritization for biodiversity reserve network design: a comparison of the SITES and ResNet software packages for coverage and efficiency. Diversity and Distributions 8:297–306. , , , and .
- 2009. Incorporating ecological and evolutionary processes into continental-scale conservation planning. Ecological Applications 19:206–217. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Global ice and land climate studies using scatterometer image data. EOS Transactions AGU 82:503. , , , , and .
- 2000. Analysis of an evolutionary species–area relationship. Nature 408:847–850. , and .
- 1979. A new frog species of the Eleutherodactylus fitzingeri group from the Pacific Andean versant in Ecuador. Herpetologica 35:228–233.
- 2006. Isolation by resistance. Evolution 60:1551–1561.
- 2008. Ecomorphology of migratory and sedentary populations of the yellow-rumped warblers (Dendroica coronata). Condor 110:335–344. , , and .
- 2009. Divergence with gene flow and fine-scale phylogeographic structure in the wedge-billed woodcreeper Glyphorynchus spirurus, a Neotropical rainforest bird. Molecular Ecology 18:2879–2995. , , , and .
- 2006. Integrating biodiversity representation with multiple criteria in North-Central Namibia using non-dominated alternatives and a modified Analytic Hierarchy Process. Biological Conservation 129:181–191. , , and .
- 1994. Defining ‘evolutionarily significant units’ for conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9:373–375.
- 2002. Strategies to protect biological diversity and the evolutionary processes that sustain it. Systematic Biology 51:238–254.
- 1998. Comparative phylogeography and the identification of genetically divergent areas for conservation. Molecular Ecology 7:419–429. , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403:853–858. , , , , and .
- 2002. Global products of vegetation leaf area and fraction absorbed PAR from year one of MODIS data. Remote Sensing of the Environment 83:214–231. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Morphological correlates of bite force and diet in the skull and mandible of phyllostomid bats. Functional Ecology 23:715–723. , , and .
- 1994. Wing design, flight performance and habitat use in bats. In P. C.Wainwright, and S. M.Reilly, ed. Ecological Morphology: Integrative Organismal Biology, pp. 205–239. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2005. Global hotspots of species richness are not congruent with endemism or threat. Nature 436:1016–1019. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Digital Distribution Maps of the Mammals of the Western Hemisphere, version 3.0. NatureServe, Arlington, VA, USA. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Identification of biodiversity conservation priorities using predictive modeling: an application for the equatorial pacific region of South America. Biodiversity Conservation 16:2649–2675. , , , and .
- 1998. Alternate species concepts as bases for determining priority conservation areas. Conservation Biology 13:427–431. , and .
- 2006. Maximum entropy modeling of species geographic distributions. Ecological Modelling 190:231–259. , , and .
- 1994. The cost of ad hoc conservation: a case study in western New South Wales. Australian Journal of Ecology 19:375–384. , and .
- 1994. Shades of irreplaceability: towards a measure of the contribution of sites to a reservation goal. Biodiversity Conservation 3:242–262. , , and .
- 2005. PATHMATRIX: a geographical information system tool to compute effective distances among samples. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:177–180.
- 2001. The Birds of Ecuador. Volume II: A Field Guide. Christopher Helm, London. , and .
- 2007. Digital Distribution Maps of the Birds of the Western Hemisphere, version 3.0. NatureServe, Arlington, VA, USA. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Phylogeographic lineages and species comparisons in conservation analysis: a case study of California herpetofauna. American Naturalist 167:655–666. , , , , and .
- 2006. Designing large-scale conservation corridors for pattern and process. Conservation Biology 20:549–561. , , , , and .
- 2004. Place prioritization for biodiversity conservation using probabilistic surrogate distribution data. Diversity and Distributions 10:125–133. , , , , and .
- 2006. Biodiversity conservation planning tools: present status and challenges for the future. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 31:123–159. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The ConsNet software platform for systematic conservation planning. In A.Moilanen, K. A.Wilson, and H. P.Possingham, eds. Spatial Conservation Prioritization: Quantitative Methods and Computational Tools, pp. 235–248. Oxford University Press, New York. , , , , and .
- 1995. Environmental influence on life-history traits – growth, survival, and fecundity in Black Brant (Branta bernicla). Ecology 76:2404–2414. , , and .
- 2011. Building evolutionary resilience for conserving biodiversity under climate change. Evolutionary Applications 4:326–337. , , and .
- 2002. Assessing biodiversity conservation priorities: ecosystem risk and representativeness in continental Ecuador. Landscape and Urban Planning 59:95–110. , , and .
- 2010. Erosion of lizard diversity by climate change and altered thermal niches. Science 328:894–899. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Resource use by bill morphs of an African finch: evidence for intraspecific competition. Ecology 71:1246–1257.
- 2008. The importance of conserving evolutionary processes. In S. P.Carroll, and C. W.Fox, eds. Conservation Biology: Evolution in Action, pp. 85–98. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 1993. The preservation of process: the missing element of conservation programs. Biodiversity Letters 1:164–167. , , and .
- 2001. Biodiversity hotspots and beyond: the need for preserving environmental transitions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16:431. , , , and .
- 2005. Putting process on the map: why ecotones are important for conserving biodiversity. In A.Purvis, J.Gittleman, and T.Brooks, eds. Phylogeny and Conservation, pp. 166–197. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , , , , and .
- 2008. Artificial selection, naturalization, and fitness: Darwin’s pigeons revisited. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 93:657–665.
- 2010. Modeling environmentally associated morphological and genetic variation in a rainforest bird, and its application to conservation prioritization. Evolutionary Applications 3:1–16. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Climate change and habitat destruction: a deadly anthropogenic cocktail. Proceedings of Biological Sciences 270:467–473.
- 2010. Conservation genomics of Atlantic salmon: variation in gene expression between and within regions of the Bay of Fundy. Molecular Ecology 19:1842–1859. , , , , and .
- 2008. Are hotspots of evolutionary potential adequately protected in southern California? Biological Conservation 141:1648–1664. , , , , and .
- 1991. What to protect? Systematics and the agony of choice. Biological Conservation 55:235–254. , , and .
- 2001. Characterizing diversity in salmon from the Pacific Northwest. Journal of Fish Biology 59(Suppl. A):1–41. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Sensitivity of systematic reserve selection to decision about scale, biological data, and targets: case study from Southern British Columbia. Conservation Biology 18:655–666. , , , , and .
- 1977. The relationships of locomotion to differential predation on Pseudacris triseriata (Anura: Hylidae). Ecology 58:830–839. , and .