Historical changes in genotypic frequencies at the Pantophysin locus in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) in Icelandic waters: evidence of fisheries-induced selection?
Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 4, pages 562–573, July 2011
How to Cite
Jakobsdóttir, K. B., Pardoe, H., Magnússon, Á., Björnsson, H., Pampoulie, C., Ruzzante, D. E. and Marteinsdóttir, G. (2011), Historical changes in genotypic frequencies at the Pantophysin locus in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) in Icelandic waters: evidence of fisheries-induced selection?. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 562–573. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00176.x
- Issue online: 10 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2011
- Received: 14 November 2010 Accepted: 18 November 2010 First published online: 5 January 2011
- 2009. Human-induced evolution caused by unnatural selection through harvest of wild animals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106:9987–9994. , and .
- 2008. Genetic effects of harvest on wild animal populations. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:327–337. , , , , and .
- 2010. Detecting population structure in a high gene-flow species, Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus): direct, simultaneous evaluation of neutral vs putatively selected loci. Heredity 1–11; doi: 10.1038/hdy.2010.71. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Intense habitat-specific fisheries-induced selection at the molecular Pan I locus predicts imminent collapse of a major cod fishery. PLoS ONE 4:e5529. , , and .
- 2007. Climate variability and the Icelandic marine ecosystem. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography 54:2456–2477. , , and .
- 2004. Long-term trend in the maturation reaction norm of two cod stocks. Ecological Applications 14:1257–1271. , , , and .
- 2002. Multiple stock structure of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) off Newfoundland and Labrador determined from genetic variation. ICES Journal of Marine Science 59:650–665. , , , , and .
- 1999. GENETIX: logiciel sous Windows pour la génétique des populations, Version 4.03. Laboratoire Génome & Population, CNRS-UPR, Université de Montpellier II, Montpellier, France. , , , and .
- Biosystems. 2000. GeneScan, Version 3.1.2. Applied Biosystems, Foster City, CA.
- Biosystems. 2004. GeneMapper, Version 3.7. Applied Biosystems, Foster City, CA.
- 2010. Parallel adaptive evolution of Atlantic cod on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean in response to temperature. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 277:3725–3734. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Organization of microsatellites differs between mammals and cold-water teleost fishes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 51:1959–1966. , , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic differentiation in walleye pollock (Theragra chalcogramma) in response to selection at the Pantophysin (Pan I) locus. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:2519–2529. , , , and .
- 2006. Association between growth and Pan I genotype within Atlantic cod full-sibling families. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 135:241–250. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Darwinian fishery science. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208:299–313.
- 2009. The role of experiments in understanding fishery-induced evolution. Evolutionary Applications 2:276–290. , and .
- 2007. Faith, evolution, and the burden of proof. Fisheries 32:90–91. , and .
- 2006. Spatial and temporal scales of adaptive divergence in marine fishes and the implications for conservation. Journal of Fish Biology 69:21–47. , , , and .
- 1988. The ‘‘great salinity anomaly’’ in the northern North Atlantic 1968–1982. Progress in Oceanography 20:103–151. , , , and .
- 2007. Trait changes in a harvested population are driven by a dynamic tug-of-war between natural and harvest selection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:15799–15804. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Rapid one-tube DNA extraction for reliable PCR detection of fish polymorphic markers and transgenes. Molecular Marine Biology and Biotechnology 5:295–298. , , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver.3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 1995. FSTAT (Version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486.
- 2006. Icelandic coastal sea surface temperature records constructed: putting the pulse on air-sea-climate interactions in the northern north Atlantic. Part I: comparison with hadisst1 open-ocean surface temperatures and preliminary analysis of long-term patterns and anomalies of SSTs around Iceland. Journal of Climate 19:5652–5666. , , , and .
- 2009. Sixty years of anthropogenic pressure: a spatio-temporal genetic analysis of brown trout populations subject to stocking and population declines. Molecular Ecology 18:2549–2562. , , , and .
- 2006. Genetic polymorphism in heterogeneous environments: the age of genomics. Annual Review of Ecology. Evolution and Systematics 37:67–93.
- 2008. Detecting fisheries-induced life-history evolution: an overview of the reaction-norm approach. Bulletin of Marine Science 83:69–93. , and .
- 2002. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 1980. The north Icelandic herring fishery and environmental conditions, 1960–1968. Rapport et Procesverbau Réunion Conseil International Exploration de la Mer 177:460–465.
- 1998. Rational harvesting of the cod-capelin-shrimp complex in the Icelandic marine ecosystem. Fisheries Research 37:7–21. , and .
- 1999. Genetic differentiation among Atlantic cod in south and south-east Icelandic waters: synaptophysin (Syp I) and haemoglobin (HBI) variation. Journal of Fish Biology 54:1259–1274. , , , , and .
- 2001. Genetic differentiation among Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.) in Icelandic waters: temporal stability. ICES Journal of Marine Science 58:114–122. , , and .
- 1996. Tagging of cod (Gadus morhua) in Icelandic waters 1948–1986 and Tagging of haddock (Gadus aeglefinus) in Icelandic waters 1953–1965. Rit Fiskideildar –Journal of the Marine Research Institute, Reykjavík.
- 2007. Ecology: managing evolving fish stocks. Science 318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Selection-induced variation at the Pantophysin locus (Pan I) in a Norwegian fjord population of cod (Gadus morhua L.). Molecular Ecology 12:3265–3274. , and .
- 2009. Quantifying six decades of fishery selection for size and age at maturity in sockeye salmon. Evolutionary Applications 2:523–536. , , and .
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22:652–659. , and .
- 2008. The role of fisheries-induced evolution. Science 320:47–48. , and .
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:271–277.
- 1986. The ecological impact of the East Greenland Current on the North Icelandic waters. In S.Skreslet, ed. The Role of Freshwater Outflow in Coastal Marine Ecosystems. NATO ASI Series, vol. G7, pp. 389–404. Springer, Berlin.
- Marine Research Institute. 2007. State of Marine Stocks in Icelandic Waters 2006/2007. Prospects for the Quota Year 2006/2007. Marine Research Technical Report. Marine Research Institute, Reykjavik.
- Marine Research Institute. 2009. State of Marine Stocks in Icelandic Waters 2008/2009. Prospects for the Quota Year 2009/2010. Marine Research Technical Report. Marine Research Institute, Reykjavik.
- 2007. Disentangling the causes of maturation trends in exploited fish populations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:249–251. , and .
- 2002. Essential relationships incorporating the influence of age, size and condition on variables required for estimation of reproductive potential in Atlantic cod Gadus morhua. Marine Ecology Progress Series 235:235–256. , and .
- 2008. Effects of fishing on inter- and intra-stock diversity of marine resources. In K.Tsukamoto, T.Kawamura, T.Takeuchi, D. B.Beard, and M. J.Kaiser, eds. Fisheries for Global Welfare and Environment, 5th World Fisheries Congress, pp. 27–43. Terrapub, Tokyo, Japan. , and .
- 1998. Improving the stock-recruitment relationship in Icelandic cod (Gadus morhua L.) by including age diversity of spawners. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1372–1377. , and .
- 2000. Development of tri- and tetranucleotide repeat microsatellite loci in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Molecular Ecology 9:238–239. , , and .
- Ministry of Fisheries. 2004. Áfangaskýrsla nefndar um líffræðilega fiskveiðistjórnun til sjávarútvegsráðherra (Status report from the Commission of biological fishery management for the Ministry of Fisheries). Sjávarútvegsráðuneytið (Ministry of Fisheries Iceland). pp. 64.
- 2008. Waking the dead: the value of population genetic analyses of historical samples. Fish and Fisheries 9:450–461. , and .
- 2007. Historical analysis of Pan I in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua): temporal stability of allele frequencies in the southeastern part of the species distribution. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64:1448–1455. , , , and .
- 2000. Isolation of twenty low stutter di- and tetranucleotide microsatellites for population analyses of walleye pollock and other gadoids. Journal of Fish Biology 56:1074–1086. , , , and .
- 2003. Migration patterns, ambient temperature, and growth of Icelandic cod (Gadus morhua): evidence from storage tag data. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:1409–1423. , and .
- 2010. A temporal perspective on population structure and gene flow in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in Newfoundland, Canada. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 67:225–242. , and .
- 2009. Age structure, changing demography and effective population size in Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar). Genetics 182:1233–1249. , , and .
- 2006. The genetic structure of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) around Iceland: insight from microsatellites, the Pan I locus, and tagging experiments. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:2660–2674. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Are vertical behaviour patterns related to the Pantophysin locus in the Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.)? Behavior Genetics 38:76–81. , , , and .
- 2009. Temporal trends in probabilistic maturation reaction norms and growth of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) on the Icelandic shelf. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 66:1719–1733. , , , , and .
- 2001. Nucleotide polymorphism and natural selection at the Pantophysin (Pan I) locus in the Atlantic Cod, Gadus morhua (L.). Genetics 157:317–330.
- 2004. Positive darwinian selection at the Pantophysin (Pan I) locus in marine gadid fishes. Molecular Biology and Evolution 21:65–75. , and .
- 1995. Genetic population structure and gene flow in the Atlantic cod Gadus morhua: a comparison of allozyme and nuclear RFLP loci. Genetics 139:375–385. , , and .
- 1995. Genepop (version 1.2): population-genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 1994. Fluctuations in the cod stock off Iceland during the twentieth century in relation to changes in the fisheries and environment. ICES Marine Science Symposia reports 198:175–193.
- 2007. Comparing microsatellite variation in north-east Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.) to genetic structuring as revealed by the pantophysin (Pan I) locus. Journal of Fish Biology 70:271–290. , , and .
- 2005. Nýsköpunaröld. Saga sjávarútvegs áÍslandi III. Bindi 1939–1973. Saga Sjávarútvegs áÍslandi, Bókaútgáfan Hólar.
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2002. Modern applied statistics with S, 4th edn. New York, Springer. , and .
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-Statistics for the analysis of population-structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .