Genetic correlations between adults and larvae in a marine fish: potential effects of fishery selection on population replenishment
Version of Record online: 2 APR 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 5, pages 621–633, September 2011
How to Cite
Johnson, D. W., Christie, M. R., Moye, J. and Hixon, M. A. (2011), Genetic correlations between adults and larvae in a marine fish: potential effects of fishery selection on population replenishment. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 621–633. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00185.x
- Issue online: 8 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 2 APR 2011
- Received: 04 February 2011 Accepted: 08 February 2011
- 2009. Human-induced evolution caused by unnatural selection through harvest of wild animals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106:9987–9994. , and .
- 2008. Why fishing magnifies fluctuations in fish abundance. Nature 452:835–839. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Predation on eggs and larvae of marine fishes and the recruitment problem. Advances in Marine Biology 25:1–83. , and .
- 2005. Marine reserve design and the evolution of size at maturation in harvested fish. Ecological Applications 15:882–901. , , , and .
- 2004a. Maternal age as a determinant of larval growth and survival in a marine fish, Sebastes melanops. Ecology 85:1258–1264. , , and .
- 2004b. Fisheries sustainability via protection of age structure and spatial distribution of fish populations. Fisheries 29:23–32. , , , and .
- 2000. ‘Evolution’ of fisheries science. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208:299–313. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Recruitment and the local dynamics of open marine populations. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 27:477–500. , , , , , and .
- 2008. A review of quantitative genetic components of fitness in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications 1:222–238. , and .
- 1996. Maternal influences on variation in egg sizes in temperate marine fishes. American Zoologist 36:180–196. , and .
- 1983. Quantitative genetics of development: genetic correlations among age-specific trait values and the evolution of ontogeny. Evolution 37:895–905. , , and .
- 2010. Parentage in natural populations: novel methods to detect parent-offspring pairs in large data sets. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:115–128.
- 2010. Self-recruitment and sweepstakes reproduction amid extensive gene flow in a coral-reef fish. Molecular Ecology 19:1042–1057. , , , and .
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 2006. Putting evolutionary biology back in the ecological theatre: a demographic framework mapping genes to communities. Evolutionary Ecology Research 8:1155–1171. , , , , and .
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Highly fecund mothers sacrifice offspring survival to maximize fitness. Nature 405:565–567. , and .
- 2003. Behavior and recruitment success in fish larvae: repeatability and covariation of survival skills. Ecology 84:53–67. , and .
- 1992. Contextual analysis of models of group selection, soft selection, hard selection, and the evolution of altruism. American Naturalist 140:743–761. , , and .
- 2005. Rapid evolution and the convergence of ecological and evolutionary time. Ecology Letters 8:1114–1127. , , , , and .
- 1998. Are maternal effects in fish adaptive or merely physiological side-effects? In T. A. Mousseau, and C. W. Fox, eds. Maternal Effects as Adaptations, pp. 178–201. Oxford press, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 1999. Maternal effects on offspring size: variation through early development of chinook salmon. Evolution 53:1605–1611. , , and .
- 2003. Rapid evolution of egg size in captive salmon. Science 299:1738–1740. , , , , and .
- 2006. Fishing elevates variability in the abundance of exploited species. Nature 443:859–862. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Habitat complexity modifies post-settlement mortality and recruitment dynamics of a marine fish. Ecology 88:1716–1725.
- 2010. Ontogenetic and spatial variation in size-selective mortality of a marine fish. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23:724–737. , and .
- 2010. Quantifying evolutionary potential of marine fish larvae: heritability, selection, and evolutionary constraints. Evolution 64:2614–2628. , , and .
- 1993. Evolution of size and growth in harvested natural populations. In , , and , eds. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources. Lecture Notes in Biomathematics 99, pp. 145–154. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1989. The evolution of maternal characters. Evolution 43:485–503. , and .
- 1990. Analysis of the inheritance, selection and evolution of growth trajectories. Genetics 124:979–993. , , and .
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain-body size allometry. Evolution 33:402–416.
- 1989. Genetic correlations and maternal effect coefficients obtained from offspring-parent regression. Genetics 122:915–922. , and .
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:271–277.
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA, USA. , and .
- 2005. Settlement patterns and post-settlement survival in two Mediterranean littoral fishes: influences of early-life traits and environmental variables. Marine Biology 148:167–177. , and .
- 1998. Statistical confidence for likelihood-based paternity inference in natural populations. Molecular Ecology 7:639–655. , , , and .
- 1998. Maternal influence on the size and viability of Iceland cod Gadusmorhua eggs and larvae. Journal of Fish Biology 52:1241–1258. , and .
- 1998. Improving the stock-recruitment relationship in Icelandic cod (Gadusmorhua) by including age diversity of spawners. Canadian Jounal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1372–1377. , and .
- 2006. Mothers matter: crowding leads to stressed mothers and smaller offspring in marine fish. Ecology 87:1104–1109.
- 1986. Genetic parameters of growth in rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri, prior to maturation. Canadian Journal of Genetics and Cytology 28:306–312. , , and .
- 1988. Larval size and recruitment mechanisms in fishes: toward a conceptual framework. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 45:1657–1670. , , , and .
- 1989. Catchability, growth, and mortality of larval fish. Fishery Bulletin 87:417–446.
- 2005. Harvest selection, genetic correlations, and evolutionary changes in recruitment: one less thing to worry about? Canadian Jounal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:802–810. , , and .
- 1993. Density-dependent juvenile mortality in marine demersal fish. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 50:1576–1590. , and .
- 1993. An appraisal of the size-dependent mortality hypothesis for larval fish: comparison of a multispecies study with an empirical review. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 50:2166–2174.
- 2010. Extreme selection on size in the early lives of fish. Evolution 64:2450–2457. , and .
- 2005. Effect of pelagic larval duration and size-at-hatching on post-settlement survivorship in two temperate labrid fish of genus Symphodus. Marine Ecology Progress Series 285:205–211. , and .
- 1993. Fisheries as a large-scale experiment on life-history evolution: disentangling phenotypic and genetic effects in changes in maturation and reproduction of North Sea plaice, Pleuronectes platessa L. Oecologa 96:391–401.
- 2007. Early growth and recruitment in Atlantic mackerel Scomber scombrus: discriminating the effects of fast growth and selection for fast growth. Marine Ecology Progress Series 337:209–219. , , and .
- 2006. Natural selection and population dynamics. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:341–347. , and .
- 1981. Sexual selection and reproductive success in males of the bicolor damselfish, Eupomacentrus partitus (Pices: pomacentridae). Animal Behavior 29:1172–1184.
- 1999. Quantifying the effects of multiple processes on local abundance: a cohort approach for open populations. Ecology Letters 2:294–303. , , and .
- 1999. Variability in relative importance of determinants of reef fish recruitment. Ecology Letters 2:304–310.
- 2006) Implication of changing coral communities: do larval traits or habitat features drive variaiton in density-dependent mortality and recruitment of juvenile reef fish? In Proceedings of the 10th International Coral Reef Symposium, Okinawa, pp. 226–231. , , , and (
- 1974. Optimal balance between size and number of offspring. American Naturalist 108:499–506. , and .
- 1997. Size-selective mortality in the juvenile stage of teleost fishes: a review. Bulletin of Marine Science 60:1129–1157.
- 1993. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceeding of the Royal Society B 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 2000. Can marine protected areas restore and conserve stock attributes of reef fishes? Bulletin of Marine Science 66:853–873. , and .
- 2005. Growth and size-selective mortality of vendace (Coregonus albula(L.)) and whitefish (C. lavaretus (L.)) larvae. Boreal Environment Research 10:225–238. , , , and .
- 2009. Evidence for harvest-induced maternal influences on the reproductive rates of fish populations. Proceeding of the Royal Society B 276:919–924.
- 2002. Size at hatching and planktonic growth determine post-settlement survivorship of a coral reef fish. Oecologia 131:89–93. , and .
- 2007. Genetic identity determines risk of post-settlement mortality of a marine fish. Ecology 88:1263–1277. , , , , , and .
- 1985. Soft selection, hard selection, kin selection, and group selection. American Naturalist 125:61–73.
- 1975. Hard and soft selection revisited. Evolution 29:465–473.
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .
- 2003. Polymorphic microsatellite loci for population studies of the bicolor damselfish, Stegastes partitus (Pomacentridae). Molecular Ecology Notes 3:547–549. , , , and .