Present address: Aimee Lee S. Houde, Department of Biology, University of Western Ontario, London, ON N6A 5B7, Canada.
Relative risks of inbreeding and outbreeding depression in the wild in endangered salmon
Version of Record online: 5 APR 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 5, pages 634–647, September 2011
How to Cite
Houde, A. L. S., Fraser, D. J., O’Reilly, P. and Hutchings, J. A. (2011), Relative risks of inbreeding and outbreeding depression in the wild in endangered salmon. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 634–647. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00186.x
- Issue online: 8 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 5 APR 2011
- Received: 22 February 2011 Accepted: 23 February 2011
- 2007. Conservation and the Genetics of Populations. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford. , and .
- 2010. The transcriptional landscape of cross-specific hybrids and its possible link with growth in brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis Mitchill). Genetics 186:97–107. , , , and .
- 1988. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. Lawrence Erlbaum Hillsdale, New Jersey.
- [COSEWIC] Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada. 2006. COSEWIC assessment and update status report on the Atlantic salmon Salmo salar (Inner Bay of Fundy populations) in Canada. Available from http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca (accessed on 1 November 2010).
- 2005. Statistics: An Introduction Using R. John Wiley & Sons, London.
- [DFO] Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. 2008. Recovery potential assessment for Inner Bay of Fundy Atlantic salmon. Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Science Advisory Report 2008/050, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
- 1950. Genetics of natural populations. XIX. Origin of heterosis through natural selection in populations of Drosophila-pseudoobscura. Genetics 35:288–302.
- 2007. Between a rock and a hard place: evaluating the relative risks of inbreeding and outbreeding for conservation and management. Molecular Ecology 16:463–475.
- 2003. Modeling factors affecting the severity of outbreeding depression. Conservation Biology 17:883–892. , and .
- 1999. Maternal effects of egg size in brown trout (Salmo trutta): norms of reaction to environmental quality. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 266:2095–2100. , and .
- 1989. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman Scientific, and Technical, London.
- 2005. Stress and adaptation in conservation genetics. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 18:750–755.
- 2008. How well can captive breeding programs conserve biodiversity? A review of salmonids. Evolutionary Applications 1:535–586.
- 2007. Loss of historical immigration and the unsuccessful rehabilitation of extirpated salmon populations. Conservation Genetics 8:527–546. , , , and .
- 2010. Consequences of farmed-wild hybridization across divergent wild populations and multiple traits in salmon. Ecological Applications 20:935–953. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Extent and scale of local adaptation in salmonid fishes: review and meta-analysis. Heredity 106:404–420. , , , , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Outbreeding depression in hybrids between spatially separated pink salmon, Oncorhynchus gorbuscha, populations: marine survival, homing ability, and variability in family size. Environmental Biology of Fishes 69:287–297. , , , , , , and .
- 1983. Effects of inbreeding on survival and growth in rainbow trout. Aquaculture 34:327–332. , , and .
- 2005. Increased infectious disease susceptibility resulting from outbreeding depression. Conservation Biology 19:455–462. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Genetic rescue guidelines with examples from Mexican wolves and Florida panthers. Conservation Genetics 11:615–626. , and .
- 2009. The Relative Risks of Inbreeding and Outbreeding Endangered Populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Master of Science thesis, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- 2011. Maternal and paternal effects on fitness correlates in outbred and inbred Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 68:534–549. , , , and .
- 1991. The threat of extinction to native populations experiencing spawning intrusions by cultured Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:119–132.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecology Letters 7:1225–1241. , and .
- 2002. Inbreeding effects in wild populations. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:230–241. , and .
- 1983. Inbreeding in fish populations used for aquaculture. Aquaculture 33:215–227.
- 2000. The limits to knowledge in quantitative genetics. Evolutionary Biology 32:225–237.
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts. , and .
- 2007. What is the fitness outcome of crossing unrelated fish populations? A meta-analysis and an evaluation of future research directions. Conservation Genetics 8:397–416. , and .
- 2009. Conservation of genetic variation in the inner Bay of Fundy Atlantic salmon captive breeding and rearing program. Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Research Document 2009/095, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. , and .
- 2001. Effect of inbreeding on body weight at harvest in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Aquaculture 192:201–211. , , and .
- 2007. Conservation genetics in a globally changing environment: present problems, paradoxes and future challenges. Biodiversity and Conservation 16:4147–4163. , , and .
- 2005. Simultaneous confidence intervals for two estimable functions and their ratio under a linear model. American Statistician 59:292–300. , and .
- 2006. The genetic rescue of the Florida panther. Animal Conservation 9:115–122. , , and .
- 1970. A genetic analysis of recapture frequencies of released young of salmon (Salmo salar L.). Hereditas 65:159–160.
- 2007. FAP: an exclusion-based parental assignment program with enhanced predictive functions. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:412–415.
- 1991. A review of local adaptation in Salmonidae, with particular reference to Pacific and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:185–207.
- 1986. Coadaptation and outbreeding depression. In M. E. Soule, ed. Conservation Biology: The Science of Scarcity and Diversity, pp. 105–116. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 1984. Factors eliminating inbreeding depression in a captive herd of Speke’s gazelle. Zoo Biology 3:177–199. , and .
- 2009. Effects of a single event of close inbreeding on growth and survival in steelhead. Conservation Genetics 10:1299–1307. , and .
- 2010. Conservation genomics of Atlantic salmon: variation in gene expression between and within regions of the Bay of Fundy. Molecular Ecology 19:1842–1859. , , , , and .
- 2004. Introduction strategies put to the test: local adaptation versus heterosis. Conservation Biology 18:812–821. , , and .
- 1984. An investigation of the consequences of egg size for the culture of Artic charr, Salvelinus alpinus (L.). Journal of Fish Biology 24:427–435. , and .
- 2002. Salmonid inbreeding: a review. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 11:301–319. , , and .
- 1998. Tracking the long-term decline and recovery of an isolated population. Science 282:1695–1698. , , , , , , et al.