SC and CGL contributed equally to this work.
Winning the invasion roulette: escapes from fish farms increase admixture and facilitate establishment of non-native rainbow trout
Article first published online: 24 MAY 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 5, pages 660–671, September 2011
How to Cite
Consuegra, S., Phillips, N., Gajardo, G. and de Leaniz, C. G. (2011), Winning the invasion roulette: escapes from fish farms increase admixture and facilitate establishment of non-native rainbow trout. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 660–671. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00189.x
- Issue published online: 8 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 24 MAY 2011
- Received: 27 November 2010 Accepted: 19 April 2011
- 2006. The advantages and disadvantages of being introduced. Biological Invasions 8:1523–1534.
- 2002. A model-based method for identifying species hybrids using multilocus genetic data. Genetics 160:1217–1229. , and .
- 2009, The success of non-native salmon and trout in Southern Chile: human, environmental and invader dimensions in a conceptual model of biological invasion processes. Universidad Austral de Chile, Department of Forest Sciences. PhD Dissertation. 173.
- 2009. Aquaculture, non-native salmonid invasions and associated declines of native fishes in Northern Patagonian lakes. Freshwater Biology 54:1135–1147. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Glossary of Genetic Terms. Handbook of Statistical Genetics, Volume 1, 3rd Edn. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, UK. , , and (Eds).
- 2003. El largo viaje de los salmones: una crónica olvidada. Propagación y cultivo de especies acuáticas en Chile. Maval Limitada Editores, Santiago, Chile, 102 p. .
- 2001. Genetic diversity and introgression in the Scottish wildcat. Molecular Ecology 10:319–336. Direct Link:, , , , , , and .
- 2000. GENETIX 4.02 Laboratoire Génome, Populations, Interactions, CNRS UMR 5171, Université de Montpellier II, Montpellier (France). , , , , and .
- 2008. Rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) invasion and the spread of hybridization with native westslope cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii lewisi). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65:658–669. , , and .
- 2006. A review of the impacts of salmonid farming on marine coastal ecosystems in the southeast Pacific. ICES Journal of Marine Science 63:1338–1345. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Salmon aquaculture and coastal ecosystem health in Chile: analysis of regulations, environmental impacts and bioremediation systems. Ocean and Coastal Management 52:243–249. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Impact on indigenous species biodiversity caused by the globalisation of alien recreational freshwater fisheries. Hydrobiologia 500:217–230.
- 2006. Global documentation of fish introductions: the growing crisis and recommendations for action. Biological Invasions 8:3–11.
- 2007. Bayesian clustering algorithms ascertaining spatial population structure: a new computer program and a comparison study. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:747–756. , , , and .
- 2008. Trophic relationships of exotic anadromous salmonids in the southern Patagonian Shelf as inferred from stable isotopes. Limnology and Oceanography. 53:788–798. , , , , and .
- 1999. Genetic divergence and units for conservation in the Komodo dragon Varanus komodoensis. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B. Biological Sciences 266:2269–2274. , , , and .
- 2005. Characterization and comparison of microsatellites derived from repeat-enriched libraries and expressed sequence tags. Animal Genetics 36:309–315. , , , , and .
- 2010. SMOGD: software for the measurement of genetic diversity. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:556–557.
- 2008. Weak founder effect signal in a recent introduction of Caribbean Anolis. Molecular Ecology 17:1416–1426. , , and .
- 2004. Reproductive performance of cultured brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) in Chile. Aquaculture Research 35:447–452. , , , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 2008. A paradox of trout invasions in North America. Biological Invasions 10:685–701.
- 2005. Resolving the genetic paradox in invasive species. Heredity 94:385.
- 2003. Chilean Aquaculture boom Is based on exotic salmon resources: a conservation paradox. Conservation Biology 17:1173–1174. , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. From best to pest: changing perspectives on the impact of exotic salmonids in the Southern Hemisphere. Systematics and Biodiversity 8:447–459. , , and .
- 1995. FSTAT (Version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486.
- 1998. One species with two biologies: Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in the wild and in aquaculture. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:131–144.
- ISSG. 2008. Invasive Species Specialist Group. http://www.issig.org/database/welcome/. Accessed 15 Jan 2009.
- 2008. Suggestive association of Major Histocompatibility IB genetic markers with resistance to bacterial cold water disease in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Marine Biotechnology 10:429–437. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. COLONY: a program for parentage and sibship inference from multilocus genotype data. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:551–555. , and .
- 2008. GST and its relatives do not measure differentiation. Molecular Ecology 17:4015–4026.
- 2007. Detecting population structure using STRUCTURE software: effect of background linkage disequilibrium. Heredity 99:374–380. , , , and .
- 2010. Genomic admixture increases fitness during a biological invasion. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23:1720–1731. , and .
- 2004. Genetic variation increases during biological invasion by a Cuban lizard. Nature 431:177–181. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Multiple sources, admixture, and genetic variation in introduced Anolis lizard populations. Conservation Biology 21:1612–1625. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Admixture determines genetic diversity and population differentiation in the biological invasion of a lizard species. Biology Letters 4:434–437. , , , and .
- 2007. Salmon farming in the Lakes of Southern Chile - Valdivian Ecoregion: history, tendencies and environmental impacts. WWF Chile, 44 p. , , , and .
- 2008. Fish invasions in the world’s river systems: when natural processes are blurred by human activities. PLos Biology 6:404–410. , , , , and .
- 1995. Polymorphic microsatellite loci from Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): genetic differentiation of North American and European populations. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 52:1863–1872. , , , , and .
- 2003. Impacts of introduced salmonids on native galaxiids in New Zealand upland streams: a new look at an old problem. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 132:229–238.
- 2006. Crying wolf, crying foul, or crying shame: alien salmonids and a biodiversity crisis in the southern cool-temperate galaxioid fishes? Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 16:233–422.
- 2003. Fitness reduction and potential extinction of wild populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, as a result of interactions with escaped farm salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B. Biological Sciences 270:2443–2450. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The impact of trout on galaxiid fishes in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 34:195–206. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Fugitive salmon: assessing the risks of escaped fish from net-pen aquaculture. BioScience 55:427–437. , , , , , , et al.
- 1975. The bottleneck effect and genetic variability in populations. Evolution 29:1–10. , , and .
- 2006. Hybridlab (version 1.0): a program for generating simulated hybrids from population samples. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:971–973. , , and .
- 2007. Freshwater fishes of Patagonia in the 21st century after a hundred years of human settlement, species introductions, and environmental change. Aquatic Ecosystems Health and Management 10:212–227. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Scale, connectivity, and incentives in the introduction and management of non-native species: the case of exotic salmonids in Patagonia. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 7:533–540. , , , , , and .
- 1966. The measurement of diversity in different types of biological collections. Journal of Theoretical Biology 13:131–144. .
- 1999. BOTTLENECK: a computer program for detecting recent reductions in the effective population size using allele frequency data. Journal of Heredity 90:502–503. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version-1.2). Population-genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 2008. Saving camels from straws: how propagule pressure-based prevention policies can reduce the risk of biological invasion. Biological Invasions 10:1085–1098. , , and .
- 2003. Correlation between fitness and genetic diversity. Conservation Biology 17:230–237. , and .
- 2002a. Thirty-eight polymorphic microsatellite markers for mapping in rainbow trout. Journal of Animal Science 80:541–542. , , , and .
- 2002b. Development of rainbow trout microsatellite markers from repeat enriched libraries. Marine Biotechnology 4:12–16. , , , , and .
- 1997. Evaluation of the rate of evolution in natural populations of guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Science 275:1934–1937. , , , and .
- 1996. Extinction by hybridization and introgression. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 27:83–109. , and .
- 2004. The origin of introduced rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in the Santa Cruz River, Patagonia, Argentina, as inferred from mitochondrial DNA. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61:1095–1101. , , and .
- 2007. Intra-population variation in anadromy and reproductive life span in rainbow trout introduced in the Santa Cruz River, Argentina. Journal of Fish Biology 70:1780–1797. , , , , and .
- 2011. Discrimination between farmed and free-living invasive salmonids in Chilean Patagonia using stable isotope analysis. Biological Invasions 13:203–213. , and .
- 2009. Invasion success depends on invader body size in a size-structured mixed predation-competition community. Journal of Animal Ecology 78:1152–1162. , , , , and .
- 2002. Plasticity and genetic diversity may allow saltcedar to invade cold climates in North America. Ecological Applications 12:1652–1660. , , and .
- 2006. The use of catch statistics to monitor the abundance of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon and rainbow trout in the sea. ICES Journal of Marine Science 63:1190–1200. , and .
- 2001. Escaped salmon in the inner seas, southern Chile: facing ecological and social conflicts. Ecological Applications 11:1750–1762. , , and .
- 2006. Southern Chile, trout and salmon country: invasion patterns and threats for native species. Revista Chilena de Historia Natural 79:97–117. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B 64:583–639. , , , and .
- 2009. Population density fluctuations change the selection gradient in Eurasian perch. American Naturalist 173:507–516. , and .
- SYSTAT. 2000. Systat Version 10. SPSS Inc, Chicago.
- 2008. Incidence and impacts of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon Salmo salar in nature. NINA Special Report 36:1–110 , , , , , and .
- 2006. Efficiency of model-based Bayesian methods for detecting hybrid individuals under different hybridization scenarios and with different numbers of loci. Molecular Ecology 15:63–72. , and .
- 2010. Not all lineages are equally invasive: genetic origin and life history in Atlantic salmon and brown trout acclimated to the Southern Hemisphere. Biological Invasions. 12:3485–3495. , , , , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2011. Population admixture, biological invasions and the balance between local adaptation and inbreeding depression. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B. Biological Sciences. 278:2–8. , , , and .
- 2008. LDNe: a program for estimating effective population size from data on linkage disequilibrium. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:753–756. , and .
- 2005. Mechanisms that drive evolutionary change. Insights from species introductions and invasions. In: D. Sax, J. Stachowicz, and S. Gaines eds. Species Invasions Insights Into Ecology, Evolution and Biogeography, pp. 230–257, Sinauer & Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts , , and .
- 2009. Something in the way you move: dispersal pathways affect invasion success. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 24:136–144. , , , , and .
- 2009. The diversity of juvenile salmonids does not affect their competitive impact on a native galaxiid. Biological Invasions 11:1955–1961. , , , , , and .
- 2010. A trial of two trouts: comparing the impacts of rainbow and brown trout on a native galaxiid. Animal Conservation 13:399–410. , , , , , , and .