Gene flow between wheat and wild relatives: empirical evidence from Aegilops geniculata, Ae. neglecta and Ae. triuncialis
Article first published online: 25 MAY 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 5, pages 685–695, September 2011
How to Cite
Arrigo, N., Guadagnuolo, R., Lappe, S., Pasche, S., Parisod, C. and Felber, F. (2011), Gene flow between wheat and wild relatives: empirical evidence from Aegilops geniculata, Ae. neglecta and Ae. triuncialis. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 685–695. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00191.x
- Issue published online: 8 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 25 MAY 2011
- Received: 13 October 2010 Accepted: 21 March 2011
- 2009. Evaluating the impact of scoring parameters on the structure of intra-specific genetic variation using RawGeno, an R package for automating AFLP scoring. BMC Bioinformatics 10:33. , , , , and .
- 2010. Origin and expansion of the allotetraploid Aegilops geniculata, a wild relative of wheat. New Phytologist 187:1170–1180. , , , , , , and .
- 1981. Pattern Recognition with Fuzzy Objective Function Algoritms. Plenum Press, New York.
- 2007. Statistical analysis of amplified fragment length polymorphism data: a toolbox for molecular ecologists and evolutionists. Molecular Ecology 16:3737–3758. , , and .
- 2009. Genetic structure and evolution of Alpine polyploid complexes: Ranunculus kuepferi (Ranunculaceae) as a case study. Molecular Ecology 18:3730–3744. , , , , and .
- 2005. Molecular basis of evolutionary events that shaped the hardness locus in diploid and polyploid wheat species (Triticum and Aegilops). Plant Cell 17:1033–1045. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Dynamics and differential proliferation of transposable elements during the evolution of the B and A genomes of wheat. Genetics 180:1071–1086. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. A rapid DNA minipreparation method suitable for AFLP and other PCR applications. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 17:53–57. , and .
- 2006. A cytomolecular approach to assess the potential of gene transfer from a crop (Triticum turgidum L.) to a wide relative (Aegilops geniculata Roth.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 112:657–664. , , and .
- 2004. Are neopolyploids a likely route for a transgene walk to the wild? The Aegilops ovata × Triticum turgidum durum case Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 82:503–510. , , , , and .
- 1971. Flowering biology of wheat, particularly in view of hybrid seed production - a review. Euphytica 20:152–170.
- 2005. Tempos of gene locus deletions and duplications and their relationship to recombination rate during diploid and polyploid evolution in the Aegilops-Triticum alliance. Genetics 171:323–332. , and .
- 1999. Gene flow and introgression from domesticated plants into their wild relatives. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 30:539–563. , , and .
- 2007. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: dominant markers and null alleles. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:574–578. , , and .
- 2007. Genetic and ecological consequences of transgene flow to the wild flora. In A. Fiechter, and C. Suatter, eds. Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, pp. 173–205. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , , , and .
- 1992. Relationship between pairing frequencies and genome affinity estimations in Aegilops ovata ×Triticum aestivum hybrid plants. Heredity 68:165–172. , and .
- 2007. An MCMC approach for joint inference of population structure and inbreeding rates from multi-locus genotype data. Genetics 176:1635–1651. , , and .
- 2010. Secondary contact between Lycaeides idas and L. melissa in the Rocky Mountains: extensive admixture and a patchy hybrid zone. Molecular Ecology 19:3171–3192. , , , , and .
- 2001. Gene flow from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) to jointed goatgrass (Aegilops cylindrica Host.), as revealed by RAPD and microsatellite markers. Theoretical And Applied Genetics 103:1–8. , , and .
- 2008. Relationships among levels of biodiversity and the relevance of intraspecific diversity in conservation - a project synopsis. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 10:259–281. , , , , , , et al.
- 1980. Vorarbeiten zur Monographischen Darstellung von Wildpflanzensortimenten: Aegilops L. Kulturpflanze 28:33–180.
- 2005. Pollen-mediated gene flow from blue aleurone wheat to other wheat cultivars. Crop Science 45:1610–1617. , , , , and .
- 2006. Hybridization in Turkish Aegilops L. species. Pakistan Journal of Biological Science 9:2243–2248.
- 2004. Genetic Roots of the Red Deer (Cervus elaphus) Population in Eastern Switzerland. Journal of Heredity 95:136–143. , , , and .
- 2008. MEGA: a biologist-centric software for evolutionary analysis of DNA and protein sequences. Briefings in Bioinformatics 9:299–306. , , , and .
- 2006. Evidence of natural hybridization between Aegilops geniculata and wheat under field conditions in central Spain. Environmental Biosafety Research 5:105–109. , , , and .
- 2007a. Hybridization between wheat (Triticum aestivum) and the wild species Aegilops geniculata and A. biuncialis under experimental field conditions. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 120:384–390. , , , and .
- 2007b. Wheat pollen dispersal under semiarid field conditions: potential outcrossing with Triticum aestivum and Triticum turgidum. Euphytica 156:25–37. , , , , and .
- 2009. Hybridization, fertility and herbicide resistance of hybrids between wheat and Ae. biuncialis. Agronomy for Sustainable Development 29:237–245. , , , and .
- 2004. Gene flow in wheat at the field scale. Crop Science 44:718–727. , , , and .
- 2007. Pollen-mediated gene flow in wheat at the commercial scale. Crop Science 47:573–581. , , and .
- 1987. Systematics and Evolution. In E. G. H. Lupton, ed. Wheat breeding – its scientific basis, pp. 1–28. Chapman & Hall Ltd, London, New York.
- 2001. AFLP-based analysis to study genetic variability and relationships in the Spanish species of the genus Aegilops. Hereditas 135:233–238. , , and .
- 2002. Jointed goatgrass (Aegilops cylindrica host) × wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) hybrids: hybridization dynamics in Oregon wheat fields. Crop Science 42:1863–1872. , , , and .
- 1999. Amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) reveals introgression in weedy Onopordum thistles: hybridization and invasion. Molecular Ecology 8:1239–1246. , , and .
- 2010. Impact of transposable elements on the organization and function of allopolyploid genomes. New Phytologist 186:37–45. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Genetic diversity of jointed goatgrass (Aegilops cylindrica) determined with RAPD and AFLP markers. Weed Science 51:287–293. , , , , and .
- 2008. New insights into the origin of the B genome of hexaploid wheat: evolutionary relationships at the SPA genomic region with the S genome of the diploid relative Aegilops speltoides. BMC Genomics 9:555. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Nested retrotransposons in the intergenic regions of the maize genome. Science 274:765–768. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Utilisation of Aegilops (goatgrass) species to widen the genetic diversity of cultivated wheat. Euphytica 163:1–19. , , and .
- 2005. Introgression of wheat DNA markers from A, B and D genomes in early generation progeny of Aegilops cylindrica Host x Triticum aestivum L. hybrids. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 111:1338–1346. , , , and .
- 2006. Molecular analysis, cytogenetics and fertility of introgression lines from transgenic wheat to Aegilops cylindrica host. Genetics 174:2061–2070. , , , , and .
- 1976. Genetic-control of chromosome-pairing in wheat. Annual Review of Genetics 10:31–51.
- 1994. Wild wheats: A monograph of Aegilops L. and Ambylopyrum (Jaub and Spach) Eig (Poaceae). Agricultural Univ., Wageningen, The Netherlands and Int. Cent. for Agric. Res. in Dry Areas, Aleppo, Syria. Wageningen.
- 2009. Out of the swamp: unidirectional hybridization with weedy species may explain the prevalence of Amaranthus tuberculatus as a weed. New Phytologist 184:819–827. , , , and .
- 2002. Data from amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) markers show indication of size homoplasy and of a relationship between degree of homoplasy and fragment size. Molecular Ecology 11:139–151. , , , and .
- 1992. Biosystematic research in Aegilops and Triticum. Hereditas 116:207–212. , and .
- 2000. Visualization of A- and B-genome chromosomes in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) x jointed goatgrass (Aegilops cylindrica Host) backcross progenies. Genome 43:1038–1044. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Sequence evidence for sporadic intergeneric DNA introgression from wheat to a wild Aegilops species. Molecular Biology and Evolution 22:2055–2062. , , and .
- 2008. The biology and ecology of hexaploid wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and its implications for trait confinement. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 88:997–1013. , and .
- 2006. Spontaneous hybridization between bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and its wild relatives in Europe. Crop Science 46:512–527. , and .