Reproductive performance of alternative male phenotypes of growth hormone transgenic Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
Article first published online: 4 JUL 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 6, pages 736–748, November 2011
How to Cite
Moreau, D. T. R., Conway, C. and Fleming, I. A. (2011), Reproductive performance of alternative male phenotypes of growth hormone transgenic Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Evolutionary Applications, 4: 736–748. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00196.x
- Issue published online: 14 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 4 JUL 2011
- Received: 2 May 2011 Accepted: 26 May 2011
- 1999. The foraging and antipredator behaviour of growth-enhanced transgenic Atlantic salmon. Animal Behaviour 58:933–952. , and .
- 2010. Standing genetic variation and compensatory evolution in transgenic organisms: a growth-enhanced salmon simulation. Transgenic Research 20:583–597. , and .
- 2008. Mating preference in the invasion of growth enhanced fish. Oikos 117:406–414. , , and .
- 2007. Conservation and the Genetics of Populations. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 2001. A method for tracking the behaviour of mature and immature salmon parr around nests during spawning. Journal of Fish Biology 59:1023–1032. , , , and .
- 1997. Reproductive behavioral interactions between wild and captively reared coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Ices Journal of Marine Science 54:1040–1050. , , , , and .
- 2001a. Male competition and breeding success in captively reared and wild coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:804–810. , , , , , and .
- 2001b. Reproductive behavior and breeding success of captively reared chinook salmon. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 21:255–260. , , and .
- 2003. Current velocity and injection of GnRHa affect reproductive behavior and body composition of captively reared offspring of wild chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:690–699. , , , and .
- 2004. Reproductive performance of growth-enhanced transgenic Coho Salmon. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 133:1205–1220. , , , and .
- 2002. Growth hormone endocrinology of salmonids: regulatory mechanisms and mode of action. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry 27:227–242. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. A review of fitness and its quantitative genetic components in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications 1:222–238. , and .
- 2006. Cardiorespiratory modifications, and limitations, in post-smolt growth hormone transgenic Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. Journal of Experimental Biology 209:1310–1325. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Interface of biotechnology and ecology for environmental risk assessments of transgenic fish. Trends in Biotechnology 24:89–97. , , and .
- 1992. Growth enhancement in transgenic Atlantic salmon by the use of an all fish chimeric growth-hormone gene construct. Bio-Technology 10:176–181. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Cultured growth hormone transgenic salmon are reproductively out-competed by wild-reared salmon in semi-natural mating arenas. Aquaculture 312:185–191. , , , , , and
- 1996. Reproductive strategies of Atlantic salmon: ecology and evolution. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 6:379–416.
- 1998. Pattern and variability in the breeding system of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), with comparisons to other salmonids. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:59–76.
- 1993. Breeding success of hatchery and wild coho salmon (Oncorhynchus-kisutch) in competition. Ecological Applications 3:230–245. , and .
- 2004. Salmonid breeding systems. In A. P. Hendry, and S. C. Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated, Salmon and Their Relatives, pp. 264–294. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1997. Effects of early experience on the reproductive performance of Atlantic salmon. Behavioral Ecology 8:470–480. , , and .
- 2000. Lifetime success and interactions of farm salmon invading a native population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 267:1517–1523. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , , and .
- 2008. Mixed evidence for reduced local adaptation in wild salmon resulting from interbreeding with escaped farmed salmon: complexities in hybrid fitness. Evolutionary Applications 1:501–512. , , , , and .
- 2010. Consequences of farmed-wild hybridization across divergent wild populations and multiple traits in salmon. Ecological Applications 20:935–953. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Alternative male life-history tactics as potential vehicles for speeding introgression of farm salmon traits into wild populations. Ecology Letters 6:541–549. , , , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Invasion of transgenes from salmon or other genetically modified organisms into natural populations. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:841–844.
- 2006. Genetic and ecological effects of salmon farming on wild salmon: modelling from experimental results. Ices Journal of Marine Science 63:1234–1247. , , , and .
- 1997a. Effects of N-methyl-D,L-aspartate (NMA) on growth hormone and thyroid hormone levels in steroid-primed immature rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Journal of Experimental Zoology 279:126–132. , and .
- 1997b. The effects of N-methyl-D,L-aspartate and gonadotropin-releasing hormone on in vitro growth-hormone release in steroid-primed immature rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. General and Comparative Endocrinology 107:32–43. , and .
- 2004. Transgenic male mating advantage provides opportunity for Trojan gene effect in a fish. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:2934–2938. , , and .
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 1994. The evolution of alternative mating strategies in variable environments. Evolutionary Ecology 8:256–268. , and .
- 2007. Rat RFamide-related peptide-3 stimulates GH secretion, inhibits LH secretion, and has variable effects on sex behavior in the adult male rat. Hormones and Behavior 51:171–180. , , and .
- 2001. The influence of male parr body size and mate competition on fertilization success and effective population size in Atlantic salmon. Heredity 86:675–684. , and .
- 2002. Individual variation in Atlantic salmon fertilization success: implications for effective population size. Ecological Applications 12:184–193. , and .
- 1991. Implications of introduction of transgenic fish into natural ecosystems. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 48:99–107. , and .
- 2007.Environmental Risk Assessment of Genetically Modified Organisms, Volume 3: Methodologies for Transgenic Fish. CABI Publishing, Oxfordshire, UK. , , , and (eds).
- 2000. Sexual selection on mature male parr of masu salmon (Oncorhynchus masou): does sneaking behavior favor small body size and less-developed sexual characters? Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 48:211–217. , and .
- 2010. Genotype-temperature interaction in the regulation of development, growth, and morphometrics in wild-type, and growth-hormone transgenic Coho Salmon. PLoS ONE 5:1–11. , , , and .
- 1997. Central administration of chicken gonadotropin-releasing hormone-II enhances courtship behavior in a female sparrow. Hormones and Behavior 32:11–18. , , and .
- 2003. Fitness reduction and potential extinction of wild populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, as a result of interactions with escaped farm salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 270:2443–2450. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Influence of plasma lipid changes in response to 17 beta-oestradiol stimulation on plasma growth hormone, somatostatin, and thyroid hormone levels in immature rainbow trout. Journal of Fish Biology 59:605–615. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Growth hormone transgenesis does not influence territorial dominance or growth and survival of first-feeding Atlantic salmon Salmo salar L. in food-limited stream microcosms. Journal of Fish Biology 78:726–740. , , , and .
- 1999. Possible ecological risks of transgenic organism release when transgenes affect mating success: sexual selection and the Trojan gene hypothesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 96:13853–13856. , and .
- 2001. Fitness components and ecological risk of transgenic release: a model using Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes). American Naturalist 158:1–16. , and .
- 2002. Assessment of possible ecological risks and hazards of transgenic fish with implications for other sexually reproducing organisms. Transgenic Research 11:101–114. , and .
- 2010. Endocrine control of sexual behavior in teleost fish. General and Comparative Endocrinology 165:456–468. , and .
- 1996. Rapid analysis of genetic variation in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) by PCR multiplexing of dinucleotide and tetranucleotide microsatellites. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 53:2292–2298. , , , and .
- 1998. Analysis of parentage determination in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) using microsatellites. Animal Genetics 29:363–370. , , and .
- 2004. Characterization and PCR multiplexing of novel highly variable tetranucleotide Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) microsatellites. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:160–162. , , , , and .
- 2010. Full life-cycle assessment of gene flow consistent with fitness differences in transgenic and wild-type Japanese medaka fish (Oryzias latipes). Environmental Biosafety Research 9:41–57. , , , , and .
- 2000. Field test of a new method for tracking small fishes in shallow rivers using passive integrated transponder (PIT) technology. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:1326–1329. , , and .
- 1992. Gene transfer in salmonids by injection through the micropyle. In C. L. Hew, and G. L. Fletcher, eds. Transgenic Fish, pp. 44–60. World Scientific, Singapore. , , , and .
- 2003. Vertical position reflects increased feeding motivation in growth hormone transgenic coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Ethology 109:701–712. , , , and .
- 2004. Growth hormone transgenic salmon pay for growth potential with increased predation mortality. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 271:S350–S352. , , , and .
- 2005. Selection on increased intrinsic growth rates in coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch. Evolution 59:1560–1569. , , and .
- 1997. Alternative reproductive tactics in Atlantic salmon: factors affecting mature parr success. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 264:219–226. , , and .
- 2007. Growth and survival trade-offs and outbreeding depression in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Evolution 61:1225–1237. , , and .
- 2008. Male mating strategy and the introgression of a growth hormone transgene. Evolutionary Applications 1:608–619. , , and .
- 2004. Dominance relationships and behavioural correlates of individual spawning success in farmed and wild male Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Journal of Animal Ecology 73:1069–1079. , , , and .
- 2005. Spawning behaviour and success of mature male atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) parr of farmed and wild origin. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:1153–1160. , , , and .
- 1997. Lesions of gonadotropin-releasing hormone-immunoreactive terminal nerve cells: effects on the reproductive behavior of male dwarf gouramis. Neuroendocrinology 65:403–412. , , and .
- 2006. Characterization and multi-generational stability of the growth hormone transgene (EO-1 alpha) responsible for enhanced growth rates in Atlantic salmon. Transgenic Research 15:465–480. , , , and .