A crucial step toward realism: responses to climate change from an evolving metacommunity perspective
Article first published online: 7 OCT 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: The evolutionary basis of biodiversity and its potential for adaptation to global change
Volume 5, Issue 2, pages 154–167, February 2012
How to Cite
Urban, M. C., De Meester, L., Vellend, M., Stoks, R. and Vanoverbeke, J. (2012), A crucial step toward realism: responses to climate change from an evolving metacommunity perspective. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 154–167. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00208.x
- Issue published online: 29 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 7 OCT 2011
- Received: 6 May 2011 Accepted: 22 August 2011 First published online: 7 October 2011
- 2003. Community assembly, niche conservatims, and adaptive evolution in changing environments. International Journal of Plant Science164:S165–S184.
- 2008. Climate change affects colonization dynamics in a metacommunity of three Daphnia species. Global Change Biology14:1209–1220. , , and .
- 2010. Local adaptation and the volution of species’ ranges under climate change. Journal of Theoretical Biology266:449–457. , and .
- 2006. Global genetic change tracks global climate warming in Drosophila subobscura. Science313:1773–1775. , , , , and .
- 2001. Adaptation at the edge of a species’ range. In J. Silvertown, and J. Antonovics, eds. Integrating Ecology and Evolution in a Spatial Context, pp. 365–392. Blackwell, Oxford.
- 2006. The role of environmental and spatial processes in structuring lake communities from bacteria to fish. Ecology87:2985–2991. , , , , and .
- 2010. Trait plasticity in species interactions: a driving force of community dynamics. Evolutionary Ecology24:617–629. , and .
- 2010. Adapt or disperse: understanding species persistence in a changing world. Global Change Biology16:587–598. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Natural selection in populations subject to a migration load. Evolution61:2229–2243. , and .
- 2010. Ecological convergence in a rocky intertidal shore metacommunity despite high spatial variability in recruitment regimes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA107:18528–18532. , , and .
- 2000. Interspecific competition, environmental gradients, gene flow, and the coevolution of species’ borders. American Naturalist155:583–605. , and .
- 2005. Integrating environmental and spatial processes in ecological community dynamics. Ecology Letters8:1175–1182.
- 2000. The evolution of maladaptation. Heredity84:623–629.
- 2008. Intraspecific diversity and dominant genotypes resist plant invasions. Ecology Letters11:16–23. , , and .
- 2001. Range shifts and adaptive responses to quaternary climate change. Science292:673–679. , and .
- 1998. Making mistakes when predicting shifts in species range in response to global warming. Nature391:783–786. , , , , and .
- 2002. The monopolization hypothesis and the dispersal-gene flow paradox in aquatic organisms. Acta Oecologica23:121–135. , , , and .
- 2007. Genetic composition of resident populations influences establishment success of immigrant species. Oecologia153:431–440. , , , , and .
- 2008. Phylogenetic analysis of community assembly and structure over space and time. Trends in Ecology & Evolution23:619–630. , and .
- 2001. Constraint to adaptive evolution in response to global warming. Science294:151–154. , and .
- 2007. Rapid evolution of flowering time by an annual plant in response to a climate fluctuation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA104:1278–1282. , , and .
- 2007. Immigration history controls diversification in experimental adaptive radiation. Nature446:436–439. , , , and .
- 2005. Experimental studies of adaptation in Clarkia xantiana. II. Fitness variation across a subspecies border. Evolution59:521–531. , and .
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology17:167–178. , , , , and .
- 2004. Community assembly through adaptive radiation in Hawaiian spiders. Science303:356–359.
- 2010. A framework for community interactions under climate change. Trends in Ecology & Evolution25:325–331. , , , , and .
- 2007. Species’ borders and dispersal barriers. American Naturalist170:297–304. , and .
- 2005. Rapid evolution and the convergence of ecological and evolutionary time. Ecology Letters8:1114–1127. , , , , and .
- 2009a. Species response to environmental change: impacts of food web interactions and evolution. Science323:1347–1350. , , and .
- 2009b. Evolutionary diversification in stickleback affects ecosystem functioning. Nature458:1167–1170. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Whither adaptation?Biology and philosophy23:673–699. , and .
- 2006. The distributions of a wide range of taxonomic groups are expanding polewards. Global Change Biology12:450–455. , , , , and .
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptations at species’ range margins. Annual Review of Entomology56:143–159. , , and .
- 1993. Evolutionary genetics and climate change: will animals adapt to global warming? In P. M. Kareiva, J. G. Kingsolver, and R. B. Huey, eds. Biotic Interactions and Global Change, pp. 165–178. Sinauer Associates, Inc., underland. , and .
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptation. Nature470:479–485. , and .
- 2003. Low potential for climatic stress adaptation in a rainforest Drosophila species. Science301:100–102. , , , and .
- 2009. Bringing the Hutchinsonian niche into the 21st century: ecological and evolutionary perspectives. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America106:19659–19665.
- 2005. Metacommunities: Spatial Dynamics and Ecological Communities. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. , , and .
- 2000. Rapid evolution of a geographic cline in size in an introduced fly. Science287:308–309. , , , , and .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis, edited by U. WMO.
- 2000. Responses of plant populations and communities to environmental changes of the late Quaternary. Paleobiology26:194–220. , and .
- 2010. Interaction of climate change and eutrophication. In M. Kernan, R. W. Battarbee, and B. R. Moss, eds. Climate Change Impacts on Freshwater Ecosystems, pp. 119–151. Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Evolutionary responses to environmental changes: how does competition affect adaptation?Evolution62:421–435. .
- 2009. A role for assisted evolution in designing native plant materials for domesticated landscapes. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment7:541–547. , and .
- 2005. Running to stand still: adaptation and the response of plants to rapid climate change. Ecology Letters8:1010–1020. , and .
- 2001. The pace of modern life II: from rates of contemporary microevolution to pattern and process. Genetica112–113:145–164. , and .
- 1997. Evolution of a species’ range. American Naturalist150:1–23. , and .
- 2010. Biodiversity and climate change: integrating evolutionary and ecological responses of species and communities. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics41:321–350. , , , and .
- 2004. The metacommunity concept: a framework for multi-scale community ecology. Ecology Letters7:601–613. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The velocity of climate change. Nature462:1052–1055. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Consequences of adaptive foraging in diverse communities. Functional Ecology24:18–27.
- 2008a. Ecological consequences of evolution in plant defenses in a metacommunity. Theoretical Population Biology74:34–45. , and .
- 2008b. Evolution in metacommunities: on the relative importance of species sorting and monopolization in structuring communities. American Naturalist171:788–799. , and .
- 1970. Species-packing and competitive equilibrium for many species. Theoretical population biology1:1–11.
- 2008. Biodiversity inhibits species’ evolutionary responses to changing environments. Ecology Letters11:380–388. , , and .
- 2007. A framework for debate of assisted migration in an era of climate change. Conservation Biology21:297–302. , , and .
- 2006. Species richness changes lag behind climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B. Biological Sciences273:1465–1470. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Quantifying the constraining influence of gene flow on adaptive divergence in the lake-stream threespine stickleback system. Evolution61:2015–2026. , , , and .
- 2008. Impact of a century of climate change in small-mammal communities in Yosemite National Park USA. Science322:261–264. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Neutral metacommunity models predict fish diversity patterns in Mississippi-Missouri basin. Nature453:220–222. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Experimental evaluation of evolution and coevolution as agents of ecosystem change in Trinidadian streams. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences364:1617–1628. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature421:37–42. , and .
- 2009. Eco-evolutionary dynamics. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences364:1483–1489. , , and .
- 1999. Conservatism of ecological niches in evolutionary time. Science285:1265–1267. , , and .
- 2009. Species’ range: adaptation in space and time. American Naturalist174:E186–E204. , , and .
- 2009. Evolutionarily stable range limits set by interspecific competition. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B. Biological Sciences276:1429–1434. , and .
- 2005. Spartina alterniflora genotype influences facilitation and suppression of high marsh species colonizing an early successional salt marsh. Journal of Ecology93:404–416. , , , , and .
- 2007. Molecular ecology of global change. Molecular Ecology16:3973–3992. , and .
- 2001. When sources become sinks: migrational meltdown in heterogeneous habitats. Evolution55:1520–1531. , and .
- 2008. The top-down mechanism for body mass-abundance scaling. Ecology89:567–580. , , , and .
- 1972. Evolution of niche width. American Naturalist106:683–718.
- 2009. Evolution and ecology of species range limits. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics40:415–436. , , , and .
- 1983. Priority effects in the recruitment of juvenile coral fishes. Ecology64:1508–1513. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary responses to climate change. Conservation Biology21:1353–1355. , , , , , , and .
- 1985. Gene flow in natural populations. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics16:393–430.
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution18:94–101. , , and .
- 2005. Local coexistence of tree species and the dynamics of global distribution pattern along an environmental gradient: a simulation study. Ecological Research20:297–304.
- 1990. Constraints and tradeoffs: toward a predictive theory of competition and succession. Oikos58:3–15.
- 2008. Global change and species interactions in terrestrial ecosystems. Ecology Letters11:1351–1363. , , , and .
- 2006. Maladaptation and mass-effects in a metacommunity: consequences for species coexistence. American Naturalist168:28–40.
- 2009. Community monopolization: local adaptation enhances priority effects in an evolving metacommunity. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B. Biological Sciences276:4129–4138. , and .
- 2006. Evolving metacommunities: toward an evolutionary perspective on metacommunities. Ecology87:1616–1626. , and .
- 2008. The evolutionary ecology of metacommunities. Trends in Ecology and Evolution23:311–317. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The power of species sorting: local factors drive bacterial community composition over a wide range of spatial scales. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA104:20404–20409. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Predicting species distribution and abundance responses to climate change: why it is essential to include biotic interactions across trophic levels. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences365:2025–2034. , , and .
- 2008. Garden plants get a head start on climate change. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment6:212–216. , , , , and .
- 2009a. Population dynamics determine genetic adaptation to temperature in Daphnia. Evolution63:1867–1878. , , , , and .
- 2009b. Local adaptation to higher temperatures reduces immigration success of genotypes from a warmer region in the water flea Daphnia. Global Change Biology15:3046–3055. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Experimental thermal microevolution in community-embedded Daphnia populations. Climate Research43:81–89. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. The consequences of genetic diversity in competitive communities. Ecology87:304–311.
- 2010. Community and ecosystem responses to recent climate change. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences365:2019–2024.
- 2002. Ecological responses to recent climate change. Nature416:389–395. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. A framework for community and ecosystem genetics: from genes to ecosystems. Nature Reviews Genetics7:510–523. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Novel climates, no-analog communities, and ecological surprises. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment5:475. , and .
- 1969. Evolution and the Genetics of Populations, Volume 2: The Theory of Gene Frequencies. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2010. Phenology, ontogeny, and the effects of climate change on the timing of species interactions. Ecology Letters13:1–10. , and .