Fates beyond traits: ecological consequences of human-induced trait change
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: The evolutionary basis of biodiversity and its potential for adaptation to global change
Volume 5, Issue 2, pages 183–191, February 2012
How to Cite
Palkovacs, E. P., Kinnison, M. T., Correa, C., Dalton, C. M. and Hendry, A. P. (2012), Fates beyond traits: ecological consequences of human-induced trait change. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 183–191. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00212.x
- Issue online: 29 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2011
- Received: 3 September 2011 Accepted: 20 September 2011 First published online: 28 October 2011
- 2009. Human-induced evolution caused by unnatural selection through harvest of wild animals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America106:9987–9994. , and .
- 2010. Local adaptation in Trinidadian guppies alters ecosystem processes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America107:3616–3621. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Adaptation and evolutionary rescue in metapopulations experiencing environmental deterioration. Science332:1327–1330. , and .
- 1992. Rapid microevolution of migratory behavior in a wild bird species. Nature360:668–670. , , , and .
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Advances in Genetics13:115–155.
- 2006. Evolutionary response to rapid climate change. Science312:1477–1478. , and .
- 2007. Evolution on ecological time-scales. Functional Ecology21:387–393. , , , and .
- 2008. Rapid evolution of seed dispersal in an urban environment in the weed Crepis sancta. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America105:3796–3799. , , , and .
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature426:655–658. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Physiological and behavioral consequences of long-term artificial selection for vulnerability to recreational angling in a teleost fish. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology80:480–490. , , , , and .
- 2001. Rapid, local adaptation of zooplankton behavior to changes in predation pressure in the absence of neutral genetic changes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America98:6256–6260. , , , , , and .
- 2010. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in response to anthropogenic disturbance. Evolutionary Ecology Research12:47–66. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Morphological response of songbirds to 100 years of landscape change in North America. Ecology91:1577–1582.
- 2009. Toward Darwinian fisheries management. Evolutionary Applications2:246–259. , , , and .
- 2011. Does rapid evolution matter? Measuring the rate of contemporary evolution and its impacts on ecological dynamics. Ecology Letters14:603–614. , , and .
- 2009. Eco-evolutionary dynamics: disentangling phenotypic, environmental and population fluctuations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences364:1491–1498. , , and .
- 1996. Ecosystem engineering by a dominant detritivore in a diverse tropical stream. Ecology77:1845–1854.
- 2010. Migratory fishes as material and process subsidies in riverine ecosystems. In K. B. Gido, and D. Jackson, eds. Community Ecology of Stream Fishes: Concepts, Approaches, and Techniques, pp. 559–592. American Fisheries Society Symposium, Bethesda, Maryland. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Anthropogenic habitat alteration induces rapid morphological divergence in a native stream fish. Evolutionary Applications. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00200.x.
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Functional Ecology21:394–407. , , , and .
- 2011. How evolutionary principles improve the understanding of human health and disease. Evolutionary Applications4:249–263. , , , , and .
- 2010. Morphological responses of a stream fish to water impoundment. Biology Letters6:803–806. , , and .
- 2010. The misuse of BLUP in ecology and evolution. American Naturalist175:116–125. , , , , and .
- 2001. Natural selection for grazer resistance to toxic cyanobacteria: evolution of phenotypic plasticity?Evolution55:2203–2214. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Rapid evolution and the convergence of ecological and evolutionary time. Ecology Letters8:1114–1127. , , , , and .
- 2007. How body size mediates the role of animals in nutrient cycling in aquatic ecosystems. In A. Hildrew, D. Raffaelli, and R. Edmonds-Brown, eds. Body Size: The Structure and Function of Aquatic Ecosystems, pp. 286–305. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of fishing and their implications for salmon. Evolutionary Applications1:388–408. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. To sea or not to sea? Anadromy versus non-anadromy in Salmonids. In A. P. Hendry, and S. C. Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated Salmon and their Relatives, pp. 92–125. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , , and .
- 2006. Possible human impacts on adaptive radiation: beak size bimodality in Darwin’s finches. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences273:1887–1894. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology17:20–29. , , and .
- 2011. Evolutionary principles and their practical application. Evolutionary Applications4:159–183. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Effects of biodiversity on ecosystem functioning: a consensus of current knowledge. Ecological Monographs75:3–35. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology17:294–313. , and .
- 2009. Pacific salmon effects on stream ecosystems: a quantitative synthesis. Oecologia159:583–595. , , , and .
- 2003. Timing of autumn bird migration under climate change: advances in long-distance migrants, delays in short-distance migrants. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences270:1467–1471. , and .
- 2007. Managing evolving fish stocks. Science318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 1958. A survey of the frequencies of Biston betularia (L) (Lep.) and its melanic forms in Great Britain. Heredity12:51–72.
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary conservation biology: contemporary evolution and the dynamics of persistence. Functional Ecology21:444–454. , and .
- 2011. Correlated contemporary evolution of life history traits in New Zealand Chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha. Heredity106:448–459. , , and .
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends in Ecology & Evolution22:652–659. , and .
- 2008. Rapid evolution buffers ecosystem impacts of viruses in a microbial food web. Ecology Letters11:1178–1188. , and .
- 2011. Assessing evolutionary consequences of size-selective recreational fishing on multiple life-history traits, with an application to northern pike (Esox lucius). Evolutionary Ecology25:711–735. , , and .
- 1988. Diadromy in Fishes Migrations between Freshwater and Marine Environments. Croom Helm, London.
- 2007. Fish extinctions alter nutrient recycling in tropical freshwaters. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America104:4461–4466. , , , and .
- 2008. The great opportunity: evolutionary applications to medicine and public health. Evolutionary Applications1:28–48. , and .
- 2009. Experimental evidence that phenotypic divergence in predators drives community divergence in prey. Ecology90:300–305. , and .
- 2008. Independent evolutionary origins of landlocked alewife populations and rapid parallel evolution of phenotypic traits. Molecular Ecology17:582–597. , , , and .
- 2009. Experimental evaluation of evolution and coevolution as agents of ecosystem change in Trinidadian streams. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences364:1617–1628. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Eco-evolutionary trophic dynamics: loss of top predators drives trophic evolution and ecology of prey. PLoS ONE6:e18879. , , and .
- 2001. Humans as the world’s greatest evolutionary force. Science293:1786–1790.
- 1998. Fitness and community consequences of avoiding multiple predators. Oecologia113:565–576. , and .
- 2009. Eco-evolutionary dynamics. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences364:1483–1489. , , and .
- 2009. Selection for vulnerability to angling in largemouth bass. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society138:189–199. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Eco-evolutionary feedbacks in community and ecosystem ecology: interactions between the ecological theatre and the evolutionary play. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences364:1629–1640. , and .
- 2008. Intraspecific variation in a predator affects community structure and cascading trophic interactions. Ecology89:2019–2032. , , , and .
- 2005. The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle.
- 2009. Life-history traits and energetic status in relation to vulnerability to angling in an experimentally selected teleost fish. Evolutionary Applications2:312–323. , , , , and .
- 2010. The metabolic and biochemical basis of vulnerability to recreational angling after three generations of angling-induced selection in a teleost fish. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences67:1983–1992. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Ecosystem recovery after climatic extremes enhanced by genotypic diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America102:2826–2831. , , , and .
- 2005. Can commercial fishing cause evolution? Answers from guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences62:791–801. , and .
- 2009. Contemporary evolution of reproductive isolation and phenotypic divergence in sympatry along a migratory divide. Current Biology19:2097–2101. , , , and .
- 2003. Pacific salmon and the ecology of coastal ecosystems. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment1:31–37. , , , , , and .
- 2011. The newest synthesis: understanding the interplay of evolutionary and ecological dynamics. Science331:426–429.
- 2006. Conservation: losing biodiversity by reverse speciation. Current Biology16:R334–R337.
- 2010. Decline in top predator body size and changing climate alter trophic structure in an oceanic ecosystem. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences277:1353–1360. , , , , and .
- 2009. Life history change in commercially exploited fish stocks: an analysis of trends across studies. Evolutionary Applications2:260–275. , and .
- 1989. The evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity. BioScience39:436–445.
- 2009. Evolution: unnatural selection. Nature457:803–804. , and .
- 2003. Elevated CO2 lowers relative and absolute herbivore density across all species of a scrub-oak forest. Oecologia134:82–87. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution18:94–101. , , and .
- 2006. Loss of a harvested fish species disrupts carbon flow in a diverse tropical river. Science313:833–836. , , and .
- 2011. Evolution in agriculture: the application of evolutionary approaches to the management of biotic interactions in agro-ecosystems. Evolutionary Applications4:200–215. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Experimental assessment of the probabilistic maturation reaction norm: condition matters. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences278:709–717. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Nutrient cycling by animals in freshwater ecosystems. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics33:341–370.
- 2011. Interpopulation variation in a fish predator drives evolutionary divergence in prey in lakes. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences278:2628–2637. , and .
- 2009. Anadromous alewives (Alosa pseudoharengus) contribute marine-derived nutrients to coastal stream food webs. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences66:439–448. , , and .
- 2011. Comparing the effects of rapid evolution and phenotypic plasticity on predator-prey dynamics. American Naturalist178:287–304. , , and .