The implications of nongenetic inheritance for evolution in changing environments
Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: The evolutionary basis of biodiversity and its potential for adaptation to global change
Volume 5, Issue 2, pages 192–201, February 2012
How to Cite
Bonduriansky, R., Crean, A. J. and Day, T. (2012), The implications of nongenetic inheritance for evolution in changing environments. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 192–201. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00213.x
- Issue online: 29 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2011
- Received: 29 September 2011 Accepted: 6 October 2011 First published online: 8 November 2011
- 1999. Transgenerational induction of defences in animals and plants. Nature401:60–63. , , and .
- 1992. Ontogeny of pine cone opening behavior in the black rat, Ratus ratus. Animal Behaviour44:327–336. , and .
- 2005. Epigenetic transgenerational actions of endocrine disruptors and mate fertility. Science308:1466–1469. , , , and .
- 2006a. Endocrine disruptor vinclozolin induced epigenetic transgenerational adult-onset disease. Endocrinology147:5515–5523. , , and .
- 2006b. Transgenerational effect of the endocrine disruptor vinclozolin on male spermatogenesis. Journal of Andrology27:868–879. , , , and .
- 2010. Genes or culture: are mitochondrial genes associated with tool use in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops sp.)?Behavior Genetics40:706–714. , , , , and .
- 1896. A new factor in evolution. The American Naturalist30:441–451.
- 2007. Warm and cold parental reproductive environments affect seed properties, fitness, and cold responsiveness in Arabidopsis thaliana progenies. Plant Cell Environment30:165–175. , , , , and .
- 2005. A reassessment of genetic limits to evolutionary change. Ecology86:1371–1384. , and .
- 2009. Nongenetic inheritance and its evolutionary implications. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics40:103–125. , and .
- 2007. Maternal and paternal condition effects on offspring phenotype in Telostylinus angusticollis (Diptera: Neriidae). Journal of Evolutionary Biology20:2379–2388. , and .
- 2006. The effect of phenotypic plasticity on evolution in multipeaked fitness landscapes. Journal of Evolutionary Biology19:1555–1570. , , and .
- 2011. A truly ecological epigenetics study. Molecular Ecology20:1572–1574. , and .
- 2008. Epigenetics for ecologists. Ecology Letters11:106–115. , , and .
- 2001. Longevity determined by paternal ancestors’ nutrition during their slow growth period. Acta Biotheoretica49:53–59. , , and .
- 2008. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity in response to climate change in a wild bird population. Science320:800–803. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Adaptation, plasticity, and extinction in a changing environment: towards a predictive theory. PLoS Biology8:e1000357. , , and .
- 2009. Coping with environmental uncertainty: dynamic bet hedging as a maternal effect. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences364:1087–1096. , and .
- 2007. Transgenerational epigenetic imprints on mate preference. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America104:5942–5946. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Within- and between-generation effects of temperature on the morphology and physiology of Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution50:1205–1218. , , and .
- 2011. A unified approach to the evolutionary consequences of genetic and nongenetic inheritance. The American Naturalist178:E18–E36. , and .
- 2009. The role of behavior in evolution: a search for mechanism. Evolutionary Ecology23:513–531.
- 2009. Maternal high-fat diet promotes body length increases and insulin insensitivity in second-generation mice. Endocrinology150:4999–5009. , and .
- 2011. Maternal high-fat diet effects on third generation female body size via the paternal lineage. Endocrinology152:2228–2236. , and .
- 2004. Environmental unpredictability and offspring size: conservative versus diversified bet-hedging. Evolutionary Ecology Research6:443–455. , and .
- 2001. Parental and developmental temperature effects on the thermal dependence of fitness in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution55:209–214. , and .
- 2007. Non-genomic transgenerational inheritance of disease risk. Bioessays29:145–154. , , and .
- 2009. Demographic and genetic constraints on evolution. The American Naturalist174:E218–E229. , and .
- 2011. Untangling individual variation in natural populations: ecological, genetic and epigenetic correlates of long-term inequality in herbivory. Molecular Ecology20:1675–1688. , and .
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptation. Nature470:479–485. , and .
- 2003. Behavioral drive versus Behavioral inertia in evolution: a null model approach. American Naturalist161:357–366. , , and .
- 1995. Epigenetic Inheritance and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 2005. Evolution in Four Dimensions. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, USA. , and .
- 1992. Evidence, mechanisms and models for the inheritance of acquired traits. Journal of Theoretical Biology158:245–268. , , and .
- 1995. The adaptive advantage of phenotypic memory in changing environments. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society London B350:133–141. , , , , , and .
- 1988. A negative maternal effect in springtails. Evolution42:828–834. , , , and .
- 2009. Assessing the impact of transgenerational epigenetic variation on complex traits. PLoS Genetics5:e1000530. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Quantitative epigenetics through epigenomic perturbation of isogenic lines. Genetics188:215–227. , and .
- 2002. Cardiovascular and diabetes mortality determined by nutrition during parents’ and grandparents’ slow growth period. European Journal of Human Genetics10:682–688. , , and .
- 2010. Pre-zygotic parental environment modulates seed longevity. Austral Ecology35:837–848. , , , , and .
- 2005. Cultural transmission of tool use in bottlenose dolphins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America102:8939–8943. , , , , , and .
- 1996. The inheritance of phenotypes: an adaptation to fluctuating environments. Journal of Theoretical Biology181:1–9. , and .
- 1996. The evolutionary consequences of niche construction: a theoretical investigation using two-locus theory. Journal of Evolutionary Biology9:293–316. , , and .
- 1999. Evolutionary consequences of niche construction and their implications for ecology. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America96:10242–10247. , , and .
- 2010. How culture shaped the human genome: bringing genetics and the human sciences together. Nature Reviews Genetics11:137–148. , , and .
- 2009. Adaptation to an extraordinary environment by evolution of phenotypic plasticity and genetic assimilation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology22:1435–1446.
- 2010. Biodiversity and climate change: integrating evolutionary and ecological responses of species and communities. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics41:321–350. , , , and .
- 1896. On modification and variation. Science4:733–740.
- 2007. Info-disruption: pollution and the transfer of chemical information between organisms. Trends in Ecology & Evolution22:374–379. , and .
- 2003. Cross-generation effects due to cold exposure in Drosophila serrata. Functional Ecology17:664–672. , and .
- 2008. Why do dolphins carry sponges?PLoS ONE3:e3868. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Transgenerational plasticity in the sea: context-dependent maternal effects across the life history. Ecology89:418–427.
- 2008. Offspring size variation within broods as a bet-hedging strategy in unpredictable environments. Ecology89:2506–2517. , , and .
- 2011. Improving assessment and modelling of climate change impacts on global terrestrial biodiversity. Trends in Ecology & Evolution26:249–259. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Associated costs and benefits of a defended phenotype across multiple environments. Functional Ecology24:1299–1305. , , and .
- 1998. The adaptive significance of maternal effects. Trends in Ecology and Evolution13:403–407. , and .
- 2010. Chronic high-fat diet in fathers programs beta-cell dysfunction in female rat offspring. Nature467:963–967. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Plant phenotypic plasticity in a changing climate. Trends in Plant Science15:684–692. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The effect of maternal exposure to contaminated sediment on the growth and condition of larval Fundulus heteroclitus. Aquatic Toxicology82:242–250. , , and .
- 2003. Niche Construction: The Neglected Process in Evolution. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA. , , and .
- 2009. Bet-hedging as an evolutionary game: the trade-off between egg size and number. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences276:2963–2969. , , and .
- 2007. On the adaptive disadvantage of Larmarckianism in rapidly changing environments. In F. Almeida e Costa., Advances in Artificial Life, 9th European Conference on Artificial Life, pages: 355–364, Springer, LNCS, 4648. , , , and
- 1998. Plasticity, memory and the adaptive landscape of the genotype. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Science265:1319–1323.
- 1999. Epigenetic inheritance, genetic assimilation and speciation. Journal of Theoretical Biology200:19–37. , and .
- 2006. Sex-specific, male-line transgenerational responses in humans. European Journal of Human Genetics14:159–166. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Maternal effects, paternal effects and sexual selection. Trends in Ecology & Evolution16:95–100. , and .
- 2010. Phenotypic plasticity and population viability: the importance of environmental predictability. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B277:3391–3400. , , , , and .
- 2006. Inherited epigenetic variation – revisiting soft inheritance. Nature Reviews Genetics7:395–401.
- 2005. Not by Genes Alone: How Culture Transforms Human Evolution. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, USA. , and .
- 2007. Petroleum hydrocarbon contamination in boreal forest soils: a mycorrhizal ecosystems perspective. Biological Reviews82:213–240. , , , and .
- 2011. Genome-wide epigenetic perturbation jump-starts patterns of heritable variation found in nature. Genetics188:1015–1017. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Modes of response to environmental change and the elusive empirical evidence for bet hedging. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences278:1601–1609.
- 2008. Transgenerational epigenetic programming of the brain transcriptome and anxiety behavior. PLoS ONE3:e3745. , , , , and .
- 2004. Germline epimutation of MLH1 in individuals with multiple cancers. Nature Genetics36:497–501. , , and .
- 2010. Epigenetic contribution to covariance between relatives. Genetics184:1037–1050. , , and .
- 2009. A role for RNAi in the selective correction of DNA methylation defects. Science323:1600–1604. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Epigenetics and its implications for ecotoxicology. Ecotoxicology20:607–624. , and .
- 2007. Epigenetic natural variation in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Biology5:e174. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Keeping up with a warming world; assessing the rate of adaptation to climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B275:649–659.
- 1989. Behavioral environments and evolutionary change. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics20:137–169.
- 2003. Developmental Plasticity and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1995. Variance-induced peak shifts. Evolution49:252–259.
- 1995. Bigger isn’t always better: body size, developmental and parental temperature and male territorial success in Drosophila melanogaster. Animal Behaviour49:671–677. , , and .