Evolutionary and ecological feedbacks of the survival cost of reproduction
Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 245–255, April 2012
How to Cite
Kuparinen, A., Hardie, D. C. and Hutchings, J. A. (2012), Evolutionary and ecological feedbacks of the survival cost of reproduction. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 245–255. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00215.x
- Issue online: 4 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2011
- Received: 7 October 2011 Accepted: 11 October 2011 First published online: 7 November 2011
- 1997. Growth, maturation and reproductive investment in Arctic charr. Journal of Fish Biology 51:750–759. , and .
- 2009. Expected rate of fisheries-induced evolution is slow. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106:11657–11660. , and .
- 1980. The costs of reproduction and their consequences. The American Naturalist 116:45–76.
- 1986. The cost of reproduction. In R. Dawkins, and M. Ridley, eds. Oxford Surveys in Evolutionary Biology, Vol. 3, pp. 83–131. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and
- 2001. Maternal provisioning of offspring and the use of those resources during ontogeny: variation within and between Atlantic Salmon families. Functional Ecology 15:13–23. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Maternal age as a determinant of larval growth and survival in a marine fish, Sebastes melanops. Ecology 85:1258–1264. , , and .
- 1938. A quantitative theory of organic growth (inquiries on growth laws II). Human Biology 10:181–213.
- 1999. The influence of age-specific survivorship on pumpkinseed sunfish life histories. Ecology 80:2299–2313. , and .
- 1994. Growth, maturation, and longevity of maturation cohorts of Northeast Arctic cod. ICES Journal of Marine Science Symposium 198:482–501. , , and .
- 2005. The importance in fishery management of leaving the big ones. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20:356–358. , and .
- 1979. Robustness in the strategy of scientific model building. In R. L. Launer, and G. N. Wilkinson, eds. Robustness in Statistics, Vol. 1, pp. 201–236. Academic Press, New York, NY.
- 1980. Evolution in Age-Structured Populations. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1993. Life History Invariants: Some Explorations of Symmetry in Evolutionary Ecology. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1954. The population consequences of life history phenomena. Quarterly Review of Biology 29:103–137.
- COSEWIC. 2010. COSEWIC assessment and status report on the Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua, in Canada. Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, Ottawa. http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/virtual_sara/files/cosewic/sr_Atlantic%20Cod_0810_e.pdf (accessed on 18 June 11).
- 2004. Growth-independent effects of temperature on age and size at maturity in Japanese Medaka (Oryzias latipes). Copeia 2004:37–45. , and .
- 2011. Anthropogenic disturbance and evolutionary parameters: a lemon shark population experiencing habitat loss. Evolutionary Applications 4:1–17. , , , , and .
- 1990. Age and size-related differences in reproductive success and reproductive costs in threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Behavioural Ecology 1:140–147. , , and .
- 2009. Eco-genetic modeling of contemporary life-history evolution. Ecological Applications 19:1815–1834. , , and .
- 2007. Trait changes in a harvested population are driven by a dynamic tug-of-war between natural and harvest selection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:15799–15804. , , , , , , et al.
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). 2010. The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture. FAO, Rome.
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1996. Reproductive strategies of Atlantic salmon: ecology and evolution. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 6:379–416.
- 2010. Size, growth, temperature and the natural mortality of marine fish. Fish and Fisheries 11:149–158. , , , and .
- 2011. The ecology of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) in Canadian Arctic lakes. Arctic 64:137–150. , and .
- 2000. Growth and survival effects on maturation pattern in populations of grayling with recent common ancestors. Oikos 90:107–118.
- 2002. Fisheries-induced selection pressures in the context of sustainable fisheries. Bulletin of Marine Science 70:639–656. , and .
- 2004. Energy use in spawning Atlantic salmon. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 13:185–196. , and .
- 1992. Quantitative Fisheries Stock Assessment. Chapman and Hall, New York, NY. , and
- 1993. Adaptive life histories effected by age-specific survival and growth rate. Ecology 74:673–684.
- 1994. Age- and size-specific costs of reproduction within populations of brook trout, Salvelinus fontinalis. Oikos 70:12–20.
- 2002. Life histories of fish. in P. J. B. Hart, and J. D. Reynolds, eds. Handbook of Fish Biology and Fisheries Vol. 1. Fish Biology, pp. 149–174. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- 2005. Life-history consequences of overexploitation to population recovery in Northwest Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:824–832.
- 2009. Avoidance of fisheries-induced evolution: management implications for catch selectivity and limit reference points. Evolutionary Applications 2:324–334.
- 2011. Correlates of recovery for Canadian Atlantic cod. Canadian Journal of Zoology 89:386–400. , and .
- 2004. Marine fish population collapses: consequences for recovery and extinction risk. BioScience 54:297–309. , and .
- 1997. Origin of the relation between K and Linf and synthesis of relations among life history parameters. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 54:987–989.
- 2011. Genetic correlations between adults and larvae in a marine fish: potential effects of fishery selection on population replenishment. Evolutionary Applications 4:621–633. , , , and .
- 1991. Energetic cost of spawning in male and female Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Journal of Fish Biology 39:739–744. , , and .
- 2010. Modelling fishing-induced adaptations and consequences for natural mortality. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 67:1086–1097. , and .
- 2009. Some cautionary notes on fisheries evolutionary impact assessments. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106:E115. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:652–659. , and .
- 2009. Estimating fisheries-induced selection: traditional gear selectivity research meets fisheries-induced evolution. Evolutionary Applications 2:234–243. , , and .
- 2011. Fish age at maturation is influenced by temperature independently of growth. Oecologia 167:435–443. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:271–277.
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Food availability and the nocturnal vs. diurnal foraging trade-off in juvenile salmon. Journal of Animal Ecology 68:371–381. , , and .
- 1987. Natural selection and the heritability of fitness components. Heredity 59:181–197. , and .
- 1997. Maximum population growth rates and recovery times for Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua. Fishery Bulletin 95:762–772. , , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Harvest-induced maturation evolution under different life-history trade-offs and harvesting regimes. Journal of Theoretical Biology 279:102–112. , , and .
- 2010. Climate change effects on fishes and fisheries: towards a cause-and-effect understanding. Journal of Fish Biology 77:1745–1779. , and .
- 2008. The demographic consequences of the cost of reproduction in ungulates. Ecology 89:2604–2611. , , and .
- 1999. Quantitative Fish Dynamics. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0; http://www.R-project.org.
- 1985. Cost of reproduction: an evaluation of the empirical evidence. Oikos 44:257–267.
- 1997. Evaluation of the rate of evolution in natural populations of guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Science 275:1934–1937. , , , and .
- 1984. The evolution of life history parameters in teleosts. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 41:989–1000.
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA.
- 2007. Life-history and the costs of reproduction in Northern Great Plains Paddlefish (Polyodon spathula) as a potential framework for other Acipenseriform fishes. Reviews in Fisheries Science 15:211–263. , , , , , and .
- 1975. The adaptive significance of variations in life history among local populations of Atlantic salmon in North America. Ecology 56:577–590. , and .
- 1999. The demographic cost of reproduction and its consequences in Balsam Fir (Abies balsamea). The American Naturalist 29:321–332. , and .
- 1996. Costs of reproduction in the wild: path analysis of natural selection and experimental tests of causation. Evolution 50:1299–1313. , and .
- 1989. Trade-offs in life-history evolution. Functional Ecology 3:259–268.
- 2010. Direct and indirect climate forcing in a multi-species marine system. Proceedings of the Royal Society B series 277:3411–3420. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Life-history evolution and elevated natural mortality in a population of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Evolutionary Applications 4:18–29.
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society B series 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 1991. A review of local adaptation in Salmonidae, with particular reference to Pacific and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:185–207.
- 2011. Experimental assessment of the probabilistic maturation reaction norm: condition matters. Proceedings of the Royal Society B series 278:709–717. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Lahontan cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki henshawi) spawning and downstream migration of juveniles into Summit Lake, Nevada. Western North American Naturalist 60:333–341. , and .
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .
- 1996. Lessons for stock assessment from the northern cod collapse. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 6:125–137. , and .
- 2010. Eco-genetic model to explore fishing-induced ecological and evolutionary effects on growth and maturation schedules. Evolutionary Applications 2:438–455. , and .