Modeling intraspecific adaptation of Abies sachalinensis to local altitude and responses to global warming, based on a 36-year reciprocal transplant experiment
Article first published online: 7 NOV 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 229–244, April 2012
How to Cite
Ishizuka, W. and Goto, S. (2012), Modeling intraspecific adaptation of Abies sachalinensis to local altitude and responses to global warming, based on a 36-year reciprocal transplant experiment. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 229–244. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00216.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 7 NOV 2011
- Received: 4 October 2011 Accepted: 6 October 2011 First published online: 7 November 2011
- 2008. Adaptation, migration or extirpation: climate change outcomes for tree populations. Evolutionary Applications 1:95–111. , , , , and .
- 2007. Local adaptation and cogradient selection in the alpine plant, Poa hiemata, along a narrow altitudinal gradient. Evolution 61:2925–2941. , , and .
- 1989. Geographic variation in Pinus armandii Franch. Silvae Genetica 38:81–90.
- 2010. Why does phenology drive species distribution? Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 365:3149–3160.
- 1973. Growth data for 29 years from California elevational transect study of ponderosa pine. Forest Science 19:31–40.
- 1998. Physiological and morphological variation in Metrosideros polymorpha, a dominant Hawaiian tree species, along an altitudinal gradient: the role of phenotypic plasticity. Oecologia 113:188–196. , , , , and .
- 2001. Range shifts and adaptive responses to quaternary climate change. Science 292:673–679. , and .
- 1984. Altitudinal variation in freezing resistance of Saghalien fir (Abies sachalinensis). Canadian Journal of Botany 62:156–160. , and .
- 1980. Severity index and transfer effects on survival and volume production of Pinus sylvestris in northern Sweden. Studia forestalia Suecica 156:1–32. , , , , and .
- 1979. Model relating levels of genetic variance to stand development of four north American conifers. Silvae Genetica 28:207–212.
- 2000. Population differentiation in an annual legume: local adaptation. Evolution 54:1173–1181. , and .
- 2011. Outbreeding depression caused by intraspecific hybridization between local and nonlocal genotypes in Abies sachalinensis. Restoration Ecology 19:243–250. , , , and .
- 2005. Adaptive strategies in seedlings of three co-occurring, ecologically distinct northern coniferous tree species across an elevational gradient. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 35:910–917.
- 1968. Early growth of Douglas-fir from various altitudes and aspects in southern Oregon. Silvae Genetica 17:143–150. , and .
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptation. Nature 470:479–485. , and .
- 2003. From genotype to phenotype: unraveling the complexities of cold adaptation in forest trees. Canadian Journal of Botany 81:1247–1266. , , , , , and .
- 1996. A late glacial climatic reversion in Hokkaido, northeast Asia, inferred from the Larix pollen record. Quaternary Science Reviews 15:989–995.
- 2005. Running to stand still: adaptation and the response of plants to rapid climate change. Ecology Letters 8:1010–1020. , and .
- 1952. The vegetation of the Tokyo University Forest in Hokkaido (in Japanese with English summary). Bulletin of the Tokyo University Forests 43:1–18.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecology Letters 7:1225–1241. , and .
- 2005. Provenance trials of ponderosa pine in northern California. Forest Science 51:595–607.
- 2007. The use of ‘altitude’ in ecological research. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22:569–574.
- 2010. Increased mortality can promote evolutionary adaptation of forest trees to climate change. Forest Ecology and Management 259:1003–1008. , , and .
- 1981. Variation of morphological characters and growth response of Saghalien fir (Abies sachalinensis) in different altitude (in Japanese with English summary). Bulletin of the Tokyo University Forests 71:101–151. , and .
- 1993. Altitudinal variation in Abies sachalinensis– growth and reproduction trait of 19-years individual in reciprocal transplant examination – (in Japanese). Summary of the 104th Meeting of Forest Society in Japan: 417–420. , , , and .
- 2005. Projection of climatic change over Japan due to global warming by high-resolution regional climate model in MRI. SOLA 1:97–100. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A significant upward shift in plant species optimum elevation during the 20th century. Science 320:1768–1771. , , , , and .
- 2009. Differences between tree species seedling and adult altitudinal distribution in mountain forests during the recent warm period (1986–2006). Ecography 32:765–777. , , , , and .
- 2008. Asymmetrical local adaptation of maize landraces along an altitudinal gradient. Evolutionary Applications 1:489–500. , , and .
- 2000. Transplantation of the subshrub Lotus scoparius: testing the home-site advantage hypothesis. Conservation Biology 14:1034–1045. , and .
- 1994. Altitudinal changes in vegetation and soils on Mt. Dairoku, central Hokkaido, Japan (in Japanese with English summary). Japanese Journal of Ecology 44:33–47. , , and .
- 1998. Growth and physiology of Picea abies populations from elevational transects: common garden evidence for altitudinal ecotypes and cold adaptation. Functional Ecology 12:573–590. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Isozyme polymorphisms provide evidence of clinal variation with elevation in Nothofagus pumilio. Journal of Heredity 94:218–226.
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1983. Adaptation of Pinus contorta populations to heterogeneous environments in northern Idaho. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 13:405–411.
- 1989. Ecological adaptations in Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii var Glauca) – a synthesis. Forest Ecology and Management 28:203–215.
- 1999. Genetic responses to climate in Pinus contorta: niche breadth, climate change, and reforestation. Ecological Monographs 69:375–407. , , , and .
- 2001. Physiologic plasticity, evolution, and impacts of a changing climate on Pinus contorta. Climatic Change 50:355–376. , , and .
- 2002. Intraspecific responses to climate in Pinus sylvestris. Global Change Biology 8:912–929. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Inter-specific competition in mixed forests of Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) and common beech (Fagus sylvatica) under climate change, a model-based analysis. Annals of Forest Science 67:805 p1–11. , , , and .
- 1994. Relationship between the elevation of seed collecting sites and the susceptibility of Abies sachalinensis to Scleroderris lagerbergii in Hokkaido, Japan, pp. 224–247. Meeting of the IUFRO Working Party, Canker and shoot blight of conifers. Vallombrosa, Italy. , , and .
- 2003. Altitudinal variation in lifetime growth trajectory and reproductive schedule of a sub-alpine conifer, Abies mariesii. Evolutionary Ecology Research 5:671–689. , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic variation in cessation of growth and frost hardiness and consequences for adaptation of Pinus sylvestris to climatic changes. Forest Ecology and Management 197:79–89. , , , , and .
- 2007. Gene flow and local adaptation in trees. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 38:595–619. , , and .
- 1983. Distribution Map of the Sasa Group in Hokkaido, Explanatory Note (in Japanese), 36 pp. Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute, Hokkaido Branch, Sapporo, Japan. , , and .
- 1998. Differentiation of mitochondrial DNA polymorphisms in populations of five Japanese Abies species. Evolution 52:1031–1042. , and .
- 2009. Altitudinal differentiation in growth and phenology among populations of temperate-zone tree species growing in a common garden. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 39:1259–1269. , , , , and .
- 2004. Geographic pattern of local optimality in natural populations of lodgepole pine. Forest Ecology and Management 194:177–198. , and .
- 1989. Geographic variation, nursery effects, and early selection in lodgepole pine. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 19:832–841. , , and .
- 2001. The new Meteorological Research Institute coupled GCM (MRI-CGCM 2) -Model climate and variability-. Papers in Meteorology and Geophysics 51:47–88. , , , , , , et al.