Adaptive potential of ash (Fraxinus excelsior) populations against the novel emerging pathogen Hymenoscyphus pseudoalbidus
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 219–228, April 2012
Total views since publication: 912
How to Cite
Kjær, E. D., McKinney, L. V., Nielsen, L. R., Hansen, L. N. and Hansen, J. K. (2012), Adaptive potential of ash (Fraxinus excelsior) populations against the novel emerging pathogen Hymenoscyphus pseudoalbidus. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 219–228. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00222.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2011
- Received: 20 September 2010 Accepted: 5 October 2011 First published online: 3 December 2011
- 2008. Adaptation, migration or extirpation: climate change outcomes for tree populations. Evolutionary Application 1:95–111. , , , , and .
- 2008. Paternity analysis of pollen-mediated gene flow for Fraxinus excelsior L. in a chronically fragmented landscape. Heredity 101:368–380. , and .
- 2009a. Occurrence and pathogenicity of fungi in necrotic and nonsymptomatic shoots of declining common ash (Fraxinus excelsior) in Sweden. European Journal of Forest Research 128:51–60. , , , , and .
- 2009b. Investigations concerning the role of Chalara fraxinea in declining Fraxinus excelsior. Plant Pathology 58:284–292. , , , , and .
- 2008. Life history determines genetic structure and evolutionary potential of host-parasite interactions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:678–685. , , , and .
- 1969. Breeding blister rust resistance western white pine. V. Estimates of heritability, combining ability, and genetic advance based on tester matings. Silvae Genetica 18:28–33. , , , and .
- 1977. Genetic correlation as a concept for studying genotype–environment interaction in forest tree breeding. Silvae Genetica 26:168–175.
- 2001. Genetic diversity and disease resistance: some considerations for research, breeding, and deployment. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 31:596–606.
- 2009. Coevolution of plants and their pathogens in natural habitats. Science 324:755–756. , and .
- 2006. The current and future dynamics of disease in plant communities. Annual Review of Phytopathology 44:19–39. , , and .
- 2008. What are the prospects for genetically engineered, disease resistant plants? European Journal of Plant Pathology 121:217–231. C., , and .
- 1996. Genetic parameter estimates for resistance to rust (Cronartium quercuum) infection from full-sib tests of slash pine (Pinus elliottii), modelled as functions of rust incidence. Silvae Genetica 45:235–242. , , and .
- 2007. Presence of defeated qualitative resistance genes frequently has major impact on quantitative resistance to Melampsora larici-populina; leaf rust in P. interamericana hybrid poplars. Tree Genetics & Genomes 3:261–274. , and .
- 1993. Dynamic gene conservation for uncertain futures. Forest Ecology and Management 62:15–37. , , and .
- 2010. Evolution of disease response genes in Loblolly Pine: insights from candidate genes. PLoS ONE 5:e14234. , , , , and .
- European Commission 2007. Interpretation Manual of European Union habitats. EUR27, pp. 142. DG Environment, Nature and Biodiversity, The European Commission, Bruxelles, Belgium.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. Longman Scientific and Technical, Harlow, UK. 438 pp. , and
- FRAXIGEN 2005. Ash Species in Europe: Biological Characteristics and Practical Guidelines for Sustainable Use. Department of Plant Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK. 128 pp.
- 2009. Optimization of combined genetic gain and diversity for collection and deployment of seed orchard crops. Tree Genetics & Genomes 5:583–593. , , , , and .
- 2010. White pines, Ribes, and blister rust: a review and synthesis. Forest Pathology 40:147–185. , , and .
- 2006. Temporal cline in a hybrid zone population between Fraxinus excelsior L and Fraxinus angustifolia Vahl. Molecular Ecology 15:3655–3667. , , and .
- 2007. Bud burst phenology, dormancy release and susceptibility to Dutch elm disease in elms (Ulmus spp.). Acta Universitatis Agriculturae Sueciae 2007:134.
- 2009. ASReml User Guide Release 3.0. VSN International Ltd, Hemel Hempstead, UK. , , , and
- 2000. Blight control and restoration of the American chestnut. Journal of Forestry 98:22–27.
- 2005. Low cost improvement of Coastal Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii var. menziesii (Mirb.) franco) by application of the breeding seed orchard approach in Denmark. Silvae Genetica 54:218–227. , , and .
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130:195–204.
- 2011. Chalara fraxinea is an invasive pathogen in France. European Journal of Plant Pathology 130:311–324. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Environmental change and the option value of genetic diversity. Trends in Plant Science 14:51–58. , , and .
- 1983. The Neutral Theory of Molecular Evolution. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2010. A review of genetic approaches to the management of blister rust in white pines. Forest Pathology 40:292–313. , , , and .
- 2006. Chalara fraxinea sp nov associated with dieback of ash (Fraxinus excelsior) in Poland. Forest Pathology 36:264–270.
- 2009. The teleomorph of Chalara fraxinea, the causal agent of ash dieback. Forest Pathology 39:304–308. , and .
- Genetic variability of Chalara fraxinea, dieback cause of European ash (Fraxinus excelsior L). Mycological Progress; doi: 10.1007/s11557-010-0724-z. Available from: http://www.springerlink.com/content/h838779388401575/ (accessed on 23 November 2011). , , and in press.
- 2010. Increased mortality can promote evolutionary adaptation of forest trees to climate change. Forest Ecology and Management 259:1003–1008. , , and .
- 1999. Identification and characterization of microsatellite loci in ash (Fraxinus excelsior L) and their conservation in the olive family (Oleaceae). Molecular Ecology 8:1088–1090. , , , , and .
- 2004. Habitat fragmentation effects on fitness of plant populations – a review. Journal for Nature Conservation 12:53–72.
- 2011. Presence of natural genetic resistance in Fraxinus excelsior (Oleraceae) to Chalara fraxinea (Ascomycota): an emerging infectious disease. Heredity 106:788–797. , , , and .
- Genetic resistance to Chalara fraxinea limits fungal growth and symptom occurrence in Fraxinus excelsior. Forest Pathology; doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0329.2011.00725.x. Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0329.2011.00725.x/abstract (accessed on 23 November 2011). , , , and in press.
- 2005. Genetic variation in Eucalyptus globulus for susceptibility to Mycosphaerella nubilosa and its association with tree growth. Australasian Plant Pathology 34:11–18. , , , , and .
- 2007. Resistance of Castanea clones to Phytophthora cinnamomi: testing and genetic control. Silvae Genetica 56:11–21. , , , and .
- 1991. Maintaining genetic diversity in breeding for resistance in forest trees. Annual Review of Phytopathology 29:325–342.
- 2010. Gene flow and mating patterns in individuals of wych elm (Ulmus glabra) in forest and open land after the influence of Dutch elm disease. Conservation Genetics 11:257–268. , and .
- 2009. Skove og Plantager 2008 [Forests and Plantations 2008. In Danish]. University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark. ISBN 978-87-7903-448-8 (internet). , , , , and
- 2010. Plant health and global change – some implications for landscape management. Biological Reviews 85:729–755. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2006. Some evolutionary consequences of being a tree, Annu. Annual review of ecology, evolution, and systematics 37:187–214. , and .
- 2011. Performance of twenty-four European excelsior populations in three Lithuanian progeny trials with a special emphasis on resistance to Chalara fraxinea. Baltic Forestry 17:17–33. , , , and .
- 2010. Cryptic speciation in Hymenoscyphus albidus. Forest Pathology 41:133–142. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Extensions of models for the estimation of mating systems using n independent loci. Heredity 88:221–228.
- 1997. Risk analyses in clonal forestry. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 27:425–432. , and .
- 2011. First record of Chalara fraxinea in Finland and genetic variation among isolates sampled from Aland, mainland Finland Estonia and Latvia. Forest Pathology 41:169–174. , , , , and .
- SAS Institute Inc., 2008. SAS/STAT User Guide. SAS Institute Inc., Gary, IN, USA.
- 2009. Associations among symptoms of dieback in evenaged stands of ash (Fraxinus excelsior L). Forest Pathology 40:7–18. , , , and .
- 2005. Screening European elms for resistance to Ophiostoma novo-ulmi. Forest Science 51:134–141. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Population structure in daphnia obtusa: quantitative genetic and allozymic variation. Genetics, 135:367–374.
- 2007. Studie av klonskillnader i känslighet för askskottsjuka[A Study on clonal variation in susceptibility to Ash die-back]. Arbetsrapport 648. SkogForsk, Sweden. ISSN 1404-305x (in Swedish)
- 2008. The origins of plant pathogens in agro-ecosystems. Annual review of Phytopathology 46:75–100. , and .
- 1973. A new evolutionary law. Evolutionary Theory 1:1–30.
- 2008. Evolutionary quantitative genetics. Handbook of Statistical Genetics. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, England.
- 1989. Predicting Breeding Values: with Applications in Forest Tree Improvement. Kluwer Academic Pub, Boston, MA, USA, 388 pp. , and