The Red Queen and the seed bank: pathogen resistance of ex situ and in situ conserved barley
Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 5, Issue 4, pages 353–367, June 2012
How to Cite
Jensen, H. R., Dreiseitl, A., Sadiki, M. and Schoen, D. J. (2012), The Red Queen and the seed bank: pathogen resistance of ex situ and in situ conserved barley. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 353–367. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00227.x
- Issue online: 24 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2011
- Received: 4 November 2011 Accepted: 7 November 2011
- 2010. Basal host resistance of barley to powdery mildew: connecting quantitative trait loci and candidate genes. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions23:91–102. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Reaction of barley landraces to major foliar diseases. In A. Yahyaoui, L. Brader, A. Tekauz, H. Wallwork, and B. Steffenson, eds. Meeting the Challenges of Barley Blights, pp. 281–284. ICARDA, Aleppo, Syria. , , , and .
- 1985. Production of green feed and grain from grazed barley in Northern Syria. Field Crops Research10:57–75.
- 2003. Developing a tall durum wheat plant type for semi-arid, Mediterranean cereal-live stock farming systems. Field Crops Research80:157–164. , and .
- 2011. Partial resistance in the Linum-Melampsora host-pathogen system: does partial resistance make the Red Queen run slower?Evolution65:512–522. , , , and .
- 2003. Localisation of genes for resistance against Blumeria graminis f.sp. hordei and Puccinia graminis in a cross between a barley cultivar and a wild barley (Hordeum vulgare ssp. spontaneum) line. Theoretical and Applied Genetics106:353–362. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Evolutionary rescue can prevent extinction following environmental change. Ecology Letters12:942–948. , and .
- 1996. The dynamics of crop infraspecific diversity: a conceptual framework at the farmer level. Economic Botany50:26–39.
- 2001. Evolutionary dynamics of plant R-genes. Science292:2281–2285. , , , and .
- 1998. Farmers’ valuation and conservation of crop genetic resources. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution45:139–150. , and .
- 2003. The fitness costs to plants of resistance to pathogens. Genome Biology4:227–229. , and .
- 2008. Pathogen evolution across the agro-ecological interface: implications for disease management. Evolutionary Applications1:57–65. , and .
- 1975. Resistance of some North American barley cultivars to diseases and lodging in Morocco. Plant Disease Reporter590:676–678. , and .
- 2003. Resistance genes in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) and their identification with molecular markers. Journal of Applied Genetics44:291–309. , , and .
- 2003. Seed bank raises hope of Iraqi crop comeback. Nature424:242.
- 2000. Predicting durability of a disease resistance gene based on an assessment of the fitness loss and epidemiological consequences of avirulence gene mutation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America97:13500–13505. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Powdery mildew resistance in barley landraces from Morocco. Journal of Phytopathology – Phytopathologische Zeitschrift148:277–288. , and .
- 2008. Decentralized selection and participatory approaches in plant breeding for low-input systems. Euphytica160:143–154. , , and .
- 2007. Powdery mildew resistance in winter barley cultivars. Plant Breeding126:268–273.
- 2007. Virulence and diversity of Blumeria graminis f.sp hordei in East China. European Journal of Plant Pathology117:357–368. , and .
- 2005. Plant breeding on the front: imperialism, war, and exploitation. Osiris20:161–179. , , and .
- 2010. Crops gone wild: evolution of weeds and invasives from domesticated ancestors. Evolutionary Applications3:494–504. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online1:47–50. , , and .
- 1999. Resistance to powdery mildew in a doubled haploid barley population and its association with marker loci. Euphytica107:185–192. , , , and .
- FAO. 2006. Guidelines for Soil Description, 4th edn. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy.
- 1956. The complementary genic systems in flax and flax rust. Advances in Genetics Incorporating Molecular Genetic Medicine8:29–54.
- 2008. The Svalbard seed vault and crop security. BioScience58:190–191.
- 1974. Genetic conservation: our evolutionary responsibility. Genetics78:53–65.
- 1995. When does evolution by natural selection prevent extinction?Evolution49:201–207. , and .
- 2005. Qtls for straw quality characteristics identified in recombinant inbred lines of a Hordeum vulgare×H. spontaneum cross in a Mediterranean environment. Theoretical and Applied Genetics110:688–695. , , , , , , and .
- 1994. Ex situ conservation of wild plant species: time to reassess the genetic assumptions and implications of seed banks. Conservation Biology8:39–49.
- 2008. Crop adaptation in on-farm management by natural and conscious selection: a case study with lentil. Crop Science48:203–212. , and .
- 1991. Evolution of mildew resistance in a hybrid bulk population. Heredity67:247–256. , and .
- IPGRI. 1994. Descriptors for Barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). International Plant Genetic Resources Institute, Rome, Italy.
- 1971. A Manual of Assessment Keys for Plant Diseases. APS Press, Saint-Paul, Minnesota.
- 2001. The use of the area under the disease-progress curve (AUDPC) to assess quantitative disease resistance in crop cultivars. Theoretical and Applied Genetics102:32–40. , and .
- 2009. Detection of virulence to resistance gene sr36 within the TTKS race lineage of Puccinia graminis f. sp tritici. Plant Disease93:367–370. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. The plant immune system. Nature444:323–329. , and .
- 1986. Near-isogenic barley lines with genes for resistance to powdery mildew. Crop Science26:903–907. , , , and .
- 1994. Dynamic conservation of variability: responses of wheat populations to different selective forces including powdery mildew. Genetics Selection Evolution26:221s–240s. , , , and .
- 1994. Designation of pathotypes of plant pathogens. Journal of Phytopathology140:346–358. , and .
- 1993. Evolution and extinction in response to environmental change. In P. M. Kareiva, J. G. Kingsolver, and R. B. Huey, eds. Biotic Interactions and Global Change, pp. 234–250. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts. , and .
- 1994. Molecular marker analyses of powdery mildew resistance in barley. Theoretical and Applied Genetics88:733–740. , , and .
- 2010. Evolutionary response of landraces to climate change in centers of crop diversity. Evolutionary Applications3:480–493. , and .
- 2008. Asymmetrical local adaptation of maize landraces along an altitudinal gradient0. Evolutionary Applications1:489–500. , , and .
- 1986. Covered and naked barleys from the Himalaya. Theoretical and Applied Genetics71:730–735. , and .
- 2005. Breeding for organic and low-input farming systems: an evolutionary-participatory breeding method for inbred cereal grains. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems20:48–55. , , , , and .
- 2009. Detection of wheat stem rust (Puccinia graminis f.sp tritici) race TTKSK (Ug99) in Iran. Plant Disease93:2. , , , , and .
- 2007. Probing the responses of barley cultivars (Hordeum vulgare L.) by chlorophyll a fluorescence OLKJIP under drought stress and re-watering. Environmental and Experimental Botany60:438–446. , , , and .
- 2000a. Evolution of resistance against powdery mildew in winter wheat populations conducted under dynamic management. Is specific seedling resistance selected?Theoretical and Applied Genetics101:449–456. , , , , , and .
- 2000b. Evolution of resistance against powdery mildew in winter wheat populations conducted under dynamic management. II. Adult plant resistance. Theoretical and Applied Genetics101:457–462. , , , , , , and .
- 1986. Collecting germplasm in Southern Morocco. Plant Genetic Resources Newsletter65:26–28. , , , and .
- 2005. Evolutionary plant breeding for low input systems. Journal of Agricultural Science143:245–254. , and .
- 2011. Genome-wide nested association mapping of quantitative resistance to northern leaf blight in maize. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences108:6893–6898. , , , and .
- 2000. A simple sequence repeat-based linkage map of barley. Genetics156:1997–2005. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The conservation of wild plant species in seed banks. BioScience51:960–966. , and .
- 2000. An economic method for the fluorescent labeling of PCR fragments. Nature Biotechnology18:233–234.
- Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity. 2010. Global Biodiversity Outlook 3, pp. 94. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal.
- 1997. The effect of nitrogen fertilization on the expression of slow-mildewing resistance in Knox wheat. Phytopathology67:1051–1056. , and .
- 2007. Nuclear activity of Mla immune receptors links isolate-specific and basal disease-resistance responses. Science315:1098–1103. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Identification of QTLs for powdery mildew and scald resistance in barley. Euphytica151:421–429. , , , , and .
- 2009. Frequency of resistance to stem rust race TPMK in Afghan wheat cultivars. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology31:250–253. , , , and .
- 2007. Spread of a highly virulent race of Puccinia graminis tritici in Eastern Africa – Challenges and opportunities. Developments in Plant Breeding12:51–57. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Race non-specific resistance to rust diseases in CIMMYT spring wheats. Euphytica179:175–186. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Morphological and phenological comparisons of two Hopi maize conserved in situ and ex situ. Economic Botany49:56–77. , and .
- 2010. Evolutionary change in agriculture: the past, present and future. Evolutionary Applications3:405–408. , , and .
- 2011. Evolution in agriculture: the application of evolutionary approaches to the management of biotic interactions in agro-ecosystems. Evolutionary Applications4:200–215. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Fitness costs of R-gene-mediated resistance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature423:74–77. , , , , and .
- 2001. Diversity and adaptation in rice varieties under static (ex situ) and dynamic (in situ) management – a case study in the Mekong Delta, Vitnam. Euphytica122:491–502. , , and .
- 1988. Distrain – a computer-program for training people to estimate disease severity on cereal leaves. Plant Disease72:455–459. , and .
- 2000. Mapping quantitative and qualitative disease resistance genes in a doubled haploid population of barley (Hordeum vulgare). Theoretical and Applied Genetics101:580–589. , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Powdery mildew resistance genes in 106 Northwest European spring barley varieties. Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University Yearbook, pp. 75–102. Copenhagen, Denmark. , , and
- United Nations. 1992. Convention on Biological Diversity. United Nations Conference on the Environment and Development, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- 1973. A new evolutionary law. Evolutionary Theory1:1–30. .
- 2007. A high density barley microsatellite consensus map with 775 Ssr loci. Theoretical and Applied Genetics114:1091–1103. , , , , , , et al.
- 1976. Hill plots for preliminary yield evaluation of doubled haploids in a barley breeding program. Crop Science16:862–822. , , and .
- 1999. The Mla (powdery mildew) resistance cluster is associated with three NBS-LRR gene families and suppressed recombination within a 240-Kb DNA interval on chromosome 5s (1hs) of barley. Genetics153:1929–1948. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Genome dynamics and evolution of the Mla (powdery mildew) resistance locus in barley. Plant Cell14:1903–1917. , , and .
- 2001. Plant breeding at the onset of the 3rd millenium. Plant Breeding and Seed Science45:17–31. , , , , and .
- 1974. Sources of resistance to powdery mildew in barley. Hereditas78:1–40. .
- 1992. Barley mildew in Europe: population biology and host-resistance. Euphytica63:125–139. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Virulence spectrum in populations of the barley powdery mildew pathogen, Erysiphe graminis f.sp. hordei in Tunisia and Morocco in 1992. Plant Pathology46:139–146. , , and .
- 1987. Breeding dual-purpose barley. Field Crops Research15:267–276. , and .
- 1974. A decimal code for the growth stages of cereals. Weed Research14:415–421. , , and .