Evolution in biodiversity policy – current gaps and future needs
Article first published online: 29 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: The evolutionary basis of biodiversity and its potential for adaptation to global change
Volume 5, Issue 2, pages 202–218, February 2012
How to Cite
Santamaría, L. and Méndez, P. F. (2012), Evolution in biodiversity policy – current gaps and future needs. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 202–218. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00229.x
- Issue published online: 29 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 29 FEB 2012
- Received:17 October 2011 Accepted: 17 November 2011
- 2002. Waterfowl-mediated dispersal and wetland connectedness: supporting a new approach to wetland policy. Acta Oecologica23:213–222. , , and .
- 2012. Genomic toolboxes for conservation biologists. Evolutionary Applications5:128–141. , , , and .
- 2007. Genetic effects of captive breeding cause a rapid, cumulative fitness decline in the wild. Science318:100. , , and .
- 2006. Marine ecosystem-based management: from characterization to implementation. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment4:525–532. doi: 10.1890/1540-9295(2006)4[525:MEMFCT]2.0.CO;2. , , and .
- 2011. Has the Earth’s sixth mass extinction already arrived?Nature471:51–57. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Plant-animal mutualistic networks: the architecture of biodiversity. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics38:567–593. , and .
- 2006. Asymmetric coevolutionary networks facilitate biodiversity maintenance. Science312:431–433. , , and .
- 2006. European nature conservation legislation and spatial planning: for better or for worse?Journal of Environmental Planning and Management49:605–619.
- 2011. A proposed unified framework for biological invasions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution26:333–339. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. The European Union as a Sustainable Development Actor: the Case of External Fisheries Policy. Journal of European Integration30:410–417. , and .
- 2003. Save those molecules: molecular biodiversity and life. Journal of Applied Ecology40:193–203.
- 2007. Facing change: forms and foundations of contemporary adaptation to biotic invasions. Molecular Ecology17:361–372.
- 2007. Evolution on ecological time-scales. Functional Ecology21:387–393. , , , and .
- CBD Press Brief. 2010. The strategic plan for the CBD. http://www.cbd.int/cop10 (accessed on 18 January 2012).
- Chivian, E., and A. Bernstein, eds. 2008. Sustaining Life: How Human Health Depends on Biodiversity. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1996. The Report of the Ecological Society of America Committee on the Scientific Basis for Ecosystem Management. Ecological Applications6:665–691. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Darwinian fishery science. Marine Ecology Progress Series208:299–313.
- Convention on Biological Diversity. 1992. http://www.cbd.int/doc/legal/cbd-en.pdf (accessed on 16 January 2012).
- 1997. The value of the world’s ecosystem services and natural capital. Nature387:253–260. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Rarity value and species extinction: the anthropogenic allee effect. PLoS Biology4:e415. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0040415. , , et al.
- 2004. Alien Species and Evolution. Island Press, Washington.
- 2000. Considering evolutionary processes in conservation biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution15:290–295. , , , and .
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Fisheries science and sustainability in international policy: a study of failure in the European Union’s Common Fisheries Policy. Marine Policy29:189–197. , and .
- 2005. Monitoring global rates of biodiversity change: challenges that arise in meeting the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) 2010 goals. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences360:229–241.
- 1988. Why put a value on biodiversity. In E. O. Wilson, and F. M. Peter, eds. Biodiversity, pp. 212–216. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 1998. The end and the beginning: recoveries from mass extinctions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution13:344–349.
- European Commission. 1999. European Spatial Development Perspective. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg.
- European Commission. 2011. Common Strategic Framework for EU Research and Innovation Funding. Analysis of public consultation. Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg. doi: 10.2777/58706.
- 2007. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of size-selective harvesting: how much do we know?Molecular Ecology17:209–220. , and .
- 2003. Exploitative wildlife management as a selective pressure for life-history evolution of large mammals. In M. Festa-Bianchet, and M. Apollonio, eds. Animal Behavior and Wildlife Conservation, pp. 191–207. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- 2011. Back from the brink: potential for genetic rescue in a critically endangered tree. Molecular Ecology20:3773–3784. , , , , , , and .
- 2004a. Regime shifts, resilience, and biodiversity in ecosystem management. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics35:557–581. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Genetic adaptation to captivity in species conservation programs. Molecular Ecology17:325–333.
- 2005. Patterns of genetic diversity and its loss in mammalian populations. Conservation Biology19:1523–1739. , , and .
- Grant, F., J. Mergeay, L. Santamaria, J. Young, and A. D. Watt, eds. 2010. Evolution and biodiversity: the evolutionary basis of biodiversity and its potential for adaptation to global change. Report of an e-conference. http://www.epbrs.org/event/show/27 (accessed 16 January 2012).
- 2003. The 2002 reform of the Common Fisheries Policy’s system of governance—rhetoric or reality?Marine Policy27:545–554. , and .
- 2005. Why not the best? How science failed the Florida panther. PLoS Biology3:e333. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0030333.
- 2006. Taxonomic Considerations in Listing Subspecies Under the U.S. Endangered Species Act. Conservation Biology20:1584–1594. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Rapid evolution of egg size in captive salmon. Science299:1738–1740. , , , , and .
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology17:20–29. , , and .
- 1995. The Global Biodiversity Assessment. United Nations Environment Programme. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , ed.
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptation. Nature470:479–485. , and .
- 1997. Population diversity: its extent and extinction. Science278:689–692. , , and .
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology17:294–313. , and .
- 2001. Lessons from the past: evolutionary impacts of mass extinctions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences98:5393–5398.
- 1995. Tusklessness in African elephants: a future trend. African Journal of Ecology33:230–235. , , and .
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary conservation biology: contemporary evolution and the dynamics of persistence. Functional Ecology21:444–454. , and .
- 2007. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology II: impediments to integration and application. Ecological Research22:947–954. , , and .
- 1993. Compass and Gyroscope: Integrating Science and Politics for the Environment. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- 2008. Comparative studies of quantitative trait and neutral marker divergence: a meta-analysis. Journal of Evolutionary Biology21:1–17. , , , and .
- 2001. Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning: current knowledge and future challenges. Science294:804–808. , , et al.
- 2006. Biodiversity. In R. M. Hassan, R. Scholes, and N. Ash, eds. Ecosystems and Human Well-Being: Current State and Trends. Findings of the Condition and Trends Working Group of the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, pp. 79–115. Island Press, Washington, DC. , , et al.
- 1995. Assessing extinction rates. In J. H. Lawton, and R. M. May, eds. Extinction Rates, pp. 1–24. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , and .
- 2002. Adaptive population divergence: markers, QTL and traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution17:285–291. , and .
- 2002. Strategies to protect biological diversity and the evolutionary processes that sustain it. Systematic Biology51:238–254.
- 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature403:853–858. , , , , and .
- 2002. Ecosystem consequences of biodiversity loss: the evolution of a paradigm. Ecology83:1537–1552.
- 2009. Biodiversity loss and the rise of zoonotic pathogens. Clinical Microbiology and Infection15:40–43.
- 2004. Protected areas governance and justice: theory and the European Union’s Habitats Directive. Environmental Sciences1:59–77.
- 1998. Variation in genetic diversity across the range of North American brown bears. Conservation Biology12:418–429. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Ecological consequences of human-induced trait change: fates beyond traits. Evolutionary Applications5:183–191. , , , , and .
- 2001. Humans as the world’s greatest evolutionary force. Science293:1786–1790.
- 2011. Are nested networks more robust to disturbance? A test using epiphyte-tree, comensalistic networks. PLoS ONE6:e19637. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0019637. , , and .
- 2006. The genetic rescue of the Florida panther. Animal Conservation9:115–122. , , and .
- 1998. Assessing ecosystem health. Trends in Ecology and Evolution13:397–402. , , and .
- 2000. Global biodiversity scenarios for the year 2100. Science287:1770–1774. , , et al.
- 2004. Deciphering the evolutionary biology of freshwater fish using multiple approaches – insights for the biological conservation of the Vairone (Leuciscus souffia souffia). Conservation Genetics5:63–77. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Management of novel ecosystems: are novel approaches required?Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment6:547–553. , , and .
- Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity. 2010. Global Biodiversity Outlook 3. Montréal, QC, Canada.
- 2012. Invasive species as drivers of evolutionary change: cane toads in tropical Australia. Evolutionary Applications5:107–116.
- 2003. Conservation biology of Saimaa ringed seal (Phoca hispida saimensis) with reference to other European seal populations. PhD Thesis, University of Helsinki, Finland. https://helda.helsinki.fi/bitstream/handle/10138/22401/conserva.pdf?sequence=2 (accessed on 16 January 2012).
- 2009. The evolutionary consequence of the individualistic response to climate change. Journal of Evolutionary Biology22:2363–2375.
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution18:94–101. , , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary restoration ecology. In D. A. Falk, M. A. Palmer, and J. B. Zedler, eds. Foundations of Restoration Ecology, pp. 113–138. Island Press, Washington, DC. , , and .
- 2009. Re-shuffling of species with climate disruption: a no-analog future for California birds?PLoS ONE4:e6825. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0006825. , , et al.
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society, Series B: Biological Sciences274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 1997. Noninvasive genetic tracking of the endangered Pyrenean brown bear population. Molecular Ecology6:869–876. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The alluring simplicity and complex reality of genetic rescue. Trends in Ecology and Evolution19:489–496. , , and .
- 1998. Rapid evolution as an ecological process. Trends in Ecology and Evolution13:329–332.
- 2005. The Geographic Mosaic of Coevolution. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2009. The coevolving web of life. American Naturalist173:125–150.
- 2012. A crucial step towards realism: responses to climate change from an evolving metacommunity perspective. Evolutionary Applications5:154–167. , , , , and .
- 2012. Changing organisms in rapidly changing anthropogenic landscapes: the significance of the ‘‘Umwelt’’-concept and functional habitat for animal conservation. Evolutionary Applications5:144–153.
- 2007. Novel climates, no-analog communities, and ecological surprises. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment5:475–482. doi: 10.1890/070037. , and .
- 2001. Legal protection for seals in small populations in European Community and Mediterranean coastal waters. Mammalia65:335–348. , , and .
- 2009. The frequency of polyploid speciation in vascular plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences106:13875–13879. , , , , , and .