Evolution in biodiversity policy – current gaps and future needs
Article first published online: 29 FEB 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: The evolutionary basis of biodiversity and its potential for adaptation to global change
Volume 5, Issue 2, pages 202–218, February 2012
Total views since publication: 1445
How to Cite
Santamaría, L. and Méndez, P. F. (2012), Evolution in biodiversity policy – current gaps and future needs. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 202–218. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00229.x
- Issue published online: 29 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 29 FEB 2012
- Received:17 October 2011 Accepted: 17 November 2011
- 2002. Waterfowl-mediated dispersal and wetland connectedness: supporting a new approach to wetland policy. Acta Oecologica 23:213–222. , , and .
- 2012. Genomic toolboxes for conservation biologists. Evolutionary Applications 5:128–141. , , , and .
- 2007. Genetic effects of captive breeding cause a rapid, cumulative fitness decline in the wild. Science 318:100. , , and .
- 2006. Marine ecosystem-based management: from characterization to implementation. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 4:525–532. doi: 10.1890/1540-9295(2006)4[525:MEMFCT]2.0.CO;2. , , and .
- 2011. Has the Earth’s sixth mass extinction already arrived? Nature 471:51–57. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Plant-animal mutualistic networks: the architecture of biodiversity. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 38:567–593. , and .
- 2006. Asymmetric coevolutionary networks facilitate biodiversity maintenance. Science 312:431–433. , , and .
- 2006. European nature conservation legislation and spatial planning: for better or for worse? Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 49:605–619.
- 2011. A proposed unified framework for biological invasions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 26:333–339. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. The European Union as a Sustainable Development Actor: the Case of External Fisheries Policy. Journal of European Integration 30:410–417. , and .
- 2003. Save those molecules: molecular biodiversity and life. Journal of Applied Ecology 40:193–203.
- 2007. Facing change: forms and foundations of contemporary adaptation to biotic invasions. Molecular Ecology 17:361–372.
- 2007. Evolution on ecological time-scales. Functional Ecology 21:387–393. , , , and .
- CBD Press Brief. 2010. The strategic plan for the CBD. http://www.cbd.int/cop10 (accessed on 18 January 2012).
- Chivian, E., and A. Bernstein, eds. 2008. Sustaining Life: How Human Health Depends on Biodiversity. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1996. The Report of the Ecological Society of America Committee on the Scientific Basis for Ecosystem Management. Ecological Applications 6:665–691. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Darwinian fishery science. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208:299–313.
- Convention on Biological Diversity. 1992. http://www.cbd.int/doc/legal/cbd-en.pdf (accessed on 16 January 2012).
- 1997. The value of the world’s ecosystem services and natural capital. Nature 387:253–260. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Rarity value and species extinction: the anthropogenic allee effect. PLoS Biology 4:e415. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0040415. , , et al.
- 2004. Alien Species and Evolution. Island Press, Washington.
- 2000. Considering evolutionary processes in conservation biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 15:290–295. , , , and .
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Fisheries science and sustainability in international policy: a study of failure in the European Union’s Common Fisheries Policy. Marine Policy 29:189–197. , and .
- 2005. Monitoring global rates of biodiversity change: challenges that arise in meeting the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) 2010 goals. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 360:229–241.
- 1988. Why put a value on biodiversity. In E. O. Wilson, and F. M. Peter, eds. Biodiversity, pp. 212–216. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 1998. The end and the beginning: recoveries from mass extinctions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 13:344–349.
- European Commission. 1999. European Spatial Development Perspective. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg.
- European Commission. 2011. Common Strategic Framework for EU Research and Innovation Funding. Analysis of public consultation. Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg. doi: 10.2777/58706.
- 2007. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of size-selective harvesting: how much do we know? Molecular Ecology 17:209–220. , and .
- 2003. Exploitative wildlife management as a selective pressure for life-history evolution of large mammals. In M. Festa-Bianchet, and M. Apollonio, eds. Animal Behavior and Wildlife Conservation, pp. 191–207. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- 2011. Back from the brink: potential for genetic rescue in a critically endangered tree. Molecular Ecology 20:3773–3784. , , , , , , and .
- 2004a. Regime shifts, resilience, and biodiversity in ecosystem management. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 35:557–581. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Genetic adaptation to captivity in species conservation programs. Molecular Ecology 17:325–333.
- 2005. Patterns of genetic diversity and its loss in mammalian populations. Conservation Biology 19:1523–1739. , , and .
- Grant, F., J. Mergeay, L. Santamaria, J. Young, and A. D. Watt, eds. 2010. Evolution and biodiversity: the evolutionary basis of biodiversity and its potential for adaptation to global change. Report of an e-conference. http://www.epbrs.org/event/show/27 (accessed 16 January 2012).
- 2003. The 2002 reform of the Common Fisheries Policy’s system of governance—rhetoric or reality? Marine Policy 27:545–554. , and .
- 2005. Why not the best? How science failed the Florida panther. PLoS Biology 3:e333. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0030333.
- 2006. Taxonomic Considerations in Listing Subspecies Under the U.S. Endangered Species Act. Conservation Biology 20:1584–1594. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Rapid evolution of egg size in captive salmon. Science 299:1738–1740. , , , , and .
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology 17:20–29. , , and .
- 1995. The Global Biodiversity Assessment. United Nations Environment Programme. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , ed.
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptation. Nature 470:479–485. , and .
- 1997. Population diversity: its extent and extinction. Science 278:689–692. , , and .
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 2001. Lessons from the past: evolutionary impacts of mass extinctions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 98:5393–5398.
- 1995. Tusklessness in African elephants: a future trend. African Journal of Ecology 33:230–235. , , and .
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary conservation biology: contemporary evolution and the dynamics of persistence. Functional Ecology 21:444–454. , and .
- 2007. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology II: impediments to integration and application. Ecological Research 22:947–954. , , and .
- 1993. Compass and Gyroscope: Integrating Science and Politics for the Environment. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- 2008. Comparative studies of quantitative trait and neutral marker divergence: a meta-analysis. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21:1–17. , , , and .
- 2001. Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning: current knowledge and future challenges. Science 294:804–808. , , et al.
- 2006. Biodiversity. In R. M. Hassan, R. Scholes, and N. Ash, eds. Ecosystems and Human Well-Being: Current State and Trends. Findings of the Condition and Trends Working Group of the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, pp. 79–115. Island Press, Washington, DC. , , et al.
- 1995. Assessing extinction rates. In J. H. Lawton, and R. M. May, eds. Extinction Rates, pp. 1–24. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , and .
- 2002. Adaptive population divergence: markers, QTL and traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:285–291. , and .
- 2002. Strategies to protect biological diversity and the evolutionary processes that sustain it. Systematic Biology 51:238–254.
- 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403:853–858. , , , , and .
- 2002. Ecosystem consequences of biodiversity loss: the evolution of a paradigm. Ecology 83:1537–1552.
- 2009. Biodiversity loss and the rise of zoonotic pathogens. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 15:40–43.
- 2004. Protected areas governance and justice: theory and the European Union’s Habitats Directive. Environmental Sciences 1:59–77.
- 1998. Variation in genetic diversity across the range of North American brown bears. Conservation Biology 12:418–429. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Ecological consequences of human-induced trait change: fates beyond traits. Evolutionary Applications 5:183–191. , , , , and .
- 2001. Humans as the world’s greatest evolutionary force. Science 293:1786–1790.
- 2011. Are nested networks more robust to disturbance? A test using epiphyte-tree, comensalistic networks. PLoS ONE 6:e19637. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0019637. , , and .
- 2006. The genetic rescue of the Florida panther. Animal Conservation 9:115–122. , , and .
- 1998. Assessing ecosystem health. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13:397–402. , , and .
- 2000. Global biodiversity scenarios for the year 2100. Science 287:1770–1774. , , et al.
- 2004. Deciphering the evolutionary biology of freshwater fish using multiple approaches – insights for the biological conservation of the Vairone (Leuciscus souffia souffia). Conservation Genetics 5:63–77. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Management of novel ecosystems: are novel approaches required? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 6:547–553. , , and .
- Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity. 2010. Global Biodiversity Outlook 3. Montréal, QC, Canada.
- 2012. Invasive species as drivers of evolutionary change: cane toads in tropical Australia. Evolutionary Applications 5:107–116.
- 2003. Conservation biology of Saimaa ringed seal (Phoca hispida saimensis) with reference to other European seal populations. PhD Thesis, University of Helsinki, Finland. https://helda.helsinki.fi/bitstream/handle/10138/22401/conserva.pdf?sequence=2 (accessed on 16 January 2012).
- 2009. The evolutionary consequence of the individualistic response to climate change. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:2363–2375.
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18:94–101. , , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary restoration ecology. In D. A. Falk, M. A. Palmer, and J. B. Zedler, eds. Foundations of Restoration Ecology, pp. 113–138. Island Press, Washington, DC. , , and .
- 2009. Re-shuffling of species with climate disruption: a no-analog future for California birds? PLoS ONE 4:e6825. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0006825. , , et al.
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society, Series B: Biological Sciences 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 1997. Noninvasive genetic tracking of the endangered Pyrenean brown bear population. Molecular Ecology 6:869–876. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The alluring simplicity and complex reality of genetic rescue. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19:489–496. , , and .
- 1998. Rapid evolution as an ecological process. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13:329–332.
- 2005. The Geographic Mosaic of Coevolution. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2009. The coevolving web of life. American Naturalist 173:125–150.
- 2012. A crucial step towards realism: responses to climate change from an evolving metacommunity perspective. Evolutionary Applications 5:154–167. , , , , and .
- 2012. Changing organisms in rapidly changing anthropogenic landscapes: the significance of the ‘‘Umwelt’’-concept and functional habitat for animal conservation. Evolutionary Applications 5:144–153.
- 2007. Novel climates, no-analog communities, and ecological surprises. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 5:475–482. doi: 10.1890/070037. , and .
- 2001. Legal protection for seals in small populations in European Community and Mediterranean coastal waters. Mammalia 65:335–348. , , and .
- 2009. The frequency of polyploid speciation in vascular plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106:13875–13879. , , , , , and .