Current address: Vector Biology Group, Department of Entomology, Minnie Belle Heep Building, Texas A&M University, 2475 TAMU, College Station, TX 77843, USA.
Birds in space and time: genetic changes accompanying anthropogenic habitat fragmentation in the endangered black-capped vireo (Vireo atricapilla)
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 5, Issue 6, pages 540–552, September 2012
How to Cite
Athrey, G., Barr, K. R., Lance, R. F. and Leberg, P. L. (2012), Birds in space and time: genetic changes accompanying anthropogenic habitat fragmentation in the endangered black-capped vireo (Vireo atricapilla). Evolutionary Applications, 5: 540–552. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00233.x
- Issue published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2012
- Received: 8 December 2011 Accepted: 9 December 2011
- 2005. An efficient Monte Carlo method for estimating N-e from temporally spaced samples using a coalescent-based likelihood. Genetics170:955–967.
- 2011. Crumbling diversity: comparison of historical archived and contemporary natural populations indicate reduced genetic diversity and increasing genetic differentiation in the golden-cheeked warbler. Conservation Genetics12:1345–1355. , , , and .
- 2007. Novel microsatellite loci for the study of the Black-cappped Vireo (Vireo atricapilla). Molecular Ecology Notes7(6):1067–1069. , , , , and .
- 2008. Population structure in an endangered songbird: maintenance of genetic differentiation despite high vagility and significant population recovery. Molecular Ecology17:3628–3639. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Detecting population expansion and decline using microsatellites. Genetics153:2013–2029.
- 2003. Estimation of population growth or decline in genetically monitored populations. Genetics164:1139–1160.
- 2002. Approximate bayesian computation in population genetics. Genetics162:2025–2035. , , and .
- 2004. Genetix 4.05 logiciel sous windows TM pour la genetique des populations 4.05. Laboratoire Genome, Populations, Interactions, CNRS UMR 5000. Universite de Montpellier II, Montpellier, France.
- 2010. Habitat and landscape effects on brood parasitism, nest survival, and fledgling production in Swainson’s warblers. The Journal of Wildlife Management74:81–93. , , , and .
- 2004. How to track and assess genotyping errors in population genetics studies. Molecular Ecology13:3261–3273. , , , , , and .
- 2003. The effects of genetic and geographic structure on neutral variation. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics34:99–125. , , and .
- 1999. Impact of brood parasitism by brown-headed cowbirds on red-winged blackbird success. The Condor101:105–114. , and .
- 2008. Inferring population history with DIY ABC: a user-friendly approach to Approximate Bayesian Computation. Bioinformatics24:2713–2719. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Detecting bottlenecks using BOTTLENECK 1.2.02 in wild populations: the importance of the microsatellite structure. Conservation Genetics11:1043–1049. , , , , and .
- 1859. On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life, 1st edn. John Murray, London.
- 2008. Patterns of genetic variation in anthropogenically impacted populations. Conservation Genetics9:141–156.
- 1991. DNA typing of museum birds. Nature354:113.
- 1993. Population genetic consequences of small population size: implications for plant conservation. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics24:217–242. , and .
- 2003. Effects of intense versus diffuse population bottlenecks on microsatellite genetic diversity and evolutionary potential. Conservation Genetics4:595–604. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Highways block gene flow and cause a rapid decline in genetic diversity of desert bighorn sheep. Ecology Letters8:1029–1038. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Breeding habitat, distribution and population status of the black-capped vireo in northern Mexico. Project WER65 Final Report. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Albuquerque, New Mexico. , and .
- 1995a. Conservation genetics. Annual Reviews in Genetics29:305–327.
- 1995b. Inbreeding and extinction: a threshold effect. Conservation Biology9:792–800.
- 2007. Comparative estimation of effective population sizes and temporal gene flow in two contrasting population systems. Molecular Ecology16:3866–3889. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Combining demographic, environmental and genetic data to test hypotheses about colonization events in metapopulations. Molecular Ecology13:811–825. , , , and .
- 2000. Local gradients of Cowbird abundance and parasitism relative to livestock grazing in a western landscape. Conservation Biology14:1862–1869. , and .
- 2002. FSTAT 126.96.36.199, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices. Available from http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/fstat.htm (accessed on 6 January 2009).
- 1961. Distribution, habitat requirements and life history of the black-capped vireo (Vireo atricapilla). Ecological Monographs31:25.
- 1998. Connecting the parameters of local extinction and metapopulation dynamics. Oikos83:390–396.
- 2002. Loss of microsatellite diversity and low effective population size in an overexploited population of New Zealand snapper (Pagrus auratus). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America99:11742–11747. , , , , and .
- 1999. Perspective: highly variable loci and their interpretation in evolution and conservation. Evolution53:313–318.
- 2005. A standardized genetic differentiation measure. Evolution59:1633–1638.
- 2000. Demography and extinction in small populations. In A. Young, and G. M. Clarke, eds. Genetics, Demography and Viability of Fragmented Populations, pp. 55–75. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2004. Temporal changes in allele frequencies and low effective population size in greater prairie chickens. Molecular Ecology13:2617–2630. , , , and .
- 2008. Historical fragmentation of islands and genetic drift in populations of Galapagos lava lizards (Microlophus albemarlensis complex). Molecular Ecology17:1224–1237. , and .
- 2008. GST and its relatives do not measure differentiation. Molecular Ecology17:4015–4026.
- 2008. Adult and juvenile survival of Black-capped vireos within a large breeding population in Texas. Condor110:251–259. , and .
- 1992. Effects of population bottlenecks on genetic diversity as measured by allozyme electrophoresis. Evolution11:477–494.
- 2002. Estimating allelic richness: effects of sample size and bottlenecks. Molecular Ecology11:2445–2451.
- 2009. Implications of landscape alteration for the conservation of genetic diversity of endangered species. In J. A. DeWoody, J. W. Bickham, C. Michler, K. Nichols, O. E. Rhodes, and K. Woeste, eds. Molecular Insights into Natural Resource Conservation and Management, pp. 212–238. Cambridge University Press, New York, NY. , , , , and .
- 2008. Habitat fragmentation and genetic diversity of an endangered, migratory songbird, the golden-cheeked warbler (Dendroica chrysoparia). Molecular Ecology17:2122–2133. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Distortion of allele frequency distributions provides a test for recent population bottlenecks. Journal of Heredity89:238–247. , , , and .
- 2010. Estimation of census and effective population size: the increasing usefulness of DNA-based approaches. Conservation Genetics11:355–373. , , , , and .
- 2007. Population fragmentation leads to spatial and temporal genetic structure in the endangered Spanish imperial eagle. Molecular Ecology16:477–486. , , and .
- 1980. Genetic-variability and effective population-size when local extinction and recolonization of sub-populations are frequent. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America-Biological Sciences77:6710–6714. , and .
- 2003. The history of effective population size and genetic diversity in the Yellowstone grizzly (Ursus arctos): implications for conservation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences100:4334–4339. , and .
- 2002. Assessing allelic dropout and genotype reliability using maximum likelihood. Genetics160:357–366. , , and .
- 2009. Why the Indian subcontinent holds the key to global tiger recovery. PLoS Genetics5:e1000585. , , and .
- 1997a. Skin from feet of museum specimens as non-destructive source of DNA for avian genotyping. Auk114:126–129. , , and .
- 1997b. Microsatellite variation and microevolution in the critically endangerd San Clemente Island loggerhead shrike (Lanius ludovicianus mearnsi). Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 264:869–875. , , , and .
- 1981. Genetic drift and estimation of effective population-size. Genetics98:625–640. , and .
- 1975. The bottleneck effect and genetic variability in populations. Evolution29:1–10. , , and .
- 2001. Fragmentation of riverine systems: the genetic effects of dams on bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) in the Clark Fork River system. Molecular Ecology10:1153–1164. , and .
- 2008. Waking the dead: the value of population genetic analyses of historical samples. Fish and Fisheries9:450–461. , and .
- Oklahoma. 2005. Oklahoma’s History. Government of Oklahoma, Oklahoma, OK.
- 2008. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: what can they tell us about the importance of genetic stochasticity for wild population persistence?Molecular Ecology17:3428–3447. , and .
- 2006. Habitat edge, land management, and rates of brood parasitism in tallgrass prairie. Ecological Applications16:687–695. , , , , and .
- 2002. Prehistoric decline of genetic diversity in the Nene. Science296:1827. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Genotyping errors: causes, consequences and solutions. Nature Reviews Genetics6:847–859. , , , and .
- 2005. Detecting past population bottlenecks using temporal genetic data. Molecular Ecology14:2915–2923. , , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity86:248–249. , and .
- 2005. Low dispersal ability and habitat specificity promote extinctions in rare but not in widespread species: the Orthoptera of Germany. Ecography28:593–602. , , , and .
- 2008. Loss of genetic variation and effective population size of Kirikuchi charr: implications for the management of small, isolated salmonid populations. Animal Conservation11:153–159. , and .
- 2002. Texas Natual History: A Century of Change, 1 edn. Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX. , and .
- 2004. On the cause of the 1930s dust bowl. Science303:1855–1859. , , , , and .
- 2000. Experimental evaluation of the usefulness of microsatellite DNA for detecting demographic bottlenecks. Molecular Ecology9:1517–1528. , , and .
- 2008. ONeSAMP: a program to estimate effective population size using approximate Bayesian computation. Molecular Ecology Resources8:299–301. , , , and .
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 1991. Black-capped vireo (Vireo atricapillus) recovery plan. Austin, TX.
- 2002. GIMLET: a computer program for analysing genetic individual identification data. Molecular Ecology Notes2:377–379.
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER:software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes4:535–538. , , , and
- 2001. A pseudo-likelihood method for estimating effective population size from temporally spaced samples. Genetical Research78:243–257.
- 2005. Estimation of effective population sizes from data on genetic markers. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences360:1395–1409.
- 2003. Estimating effective population size and migration rates from genetic samples over space and time. Genetics163:429–446. , and .
- 2010. Linkage disequilibrium estimates of contemporary Ne using highly variable genetic markers: a largely untapped resource for applied conservation and evolution. Evolutionary Applications3:244–262. , and .
- 2006. Population Status and Threat Analysis for the Black-Capped Vireo. Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX. , , , and .
- 2006. Limits to the adaptive potential of small populations. Annual Reviews of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics37:433–458. , , and .
- 2004. Dust Bowl: The Southern Plains in the 1930s, 1 edn. Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
- 2004. Genetic differentiation of white-spotted charr (Salvelinus leucomaenis) populations after habitat fragmentation: spatial-temporal changes in gene frequencies. Conservation Genetics5:529–538. , , , and .
- 2010. Comparison of molecular markers in the endangered black-capped vireo (Vireo atricapilla) and their interpretation in conservation. The Auk127:797–806. , , , , and .