Phages limit the evolution of bacterial antibiotic resistance in experimental microcosms
Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 5, Issue 6, pages 575–582, September 2012
How to Cite
Zhang, Q.-G. and Buckling, A. (2012), Phages limit the evolution of bacterial antibiotic resistance in experimental microcosms. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 575–582. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00236.x
- Issue online: 6 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2012
- Received: 1 December 2011 Accepted: 13 December 2011
- 1998. Bacteriophages show promise as antimicrobial agents. Journal of Infection36:5–15. , , , and .
- 2010. Antibiotic resistance and its cost: is it possible to reverse resistance?Nature Reviews Microbiology8:260–271. , and .
- 1995. Site directed chromosomal marking of a fluorescent pseudomonad isolated from the phytosphere of sugar beet; Stability and potential for marker gene transfer. Molecular Ecology4:755–763. , , , , and .
- 1997. Bacteriophage therapy and prophylaxis: rediscovery and renewed assessment of potential. Trends in Microbiology5:268–271. , and .
- 2002. Bacteriophage therapy rescues mice bacteremic from a clinical isolate of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium. Infection and Immunity70:204–210. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Evaluating treatment protocols to prevent antibiotic resistance. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America94:12106–12111. , , and .
- 2007. Experimental coevolution with bacteria and phage: the Pseudomonas fluorescens-Φ2 model system. Infection, Genetics and Evolution7:547–552. , , , and .
- 2002. Antagonistic coevolution between a bacterium and a bacteriophage. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences269:931–936. , and .
- 2006. Antagonistic coevolution with parasites increases the cost of host deleterious mutations. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences273:45–49. , , , , and .
- 2002. Dynamics of success and failure in phage and antibiotic therapy in experimental infections. BMC Microbiology2:35. , , , , and .
- 2010. A tale of tails: sialidase is key to success in a model of phage therapy against K1-capsulated Escherichia coli. Virology398:79–86. , , and .
- 2001. Phages and their application against drug-resistant bacteria. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology76:689–699. , , , and .
- 2003. The role of mutators in the emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Drug Resistance Updates6:137–145. , , and .
- 1999. Combination antibiotic therapy versus monotherapy for gram-negative bacteraemia: a commentary. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents11:7–12. , and .
- 1992. Epidemiology of drug resistance: implications for a post-antimicrobial era. Science257:1050–1055.
- 2007. Phage-antibiotic synergy (PAS): β-lactam and quinolone antibiotics stimulate virulent phage growth. PLoS ONE2:e799. , , , , and .
- 2005. Intermediate mutation frequencies favor evolution of multidrug resistance in Escherichia coli. Genetics171:825–827. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Antibiotic discovery in the twenty-first century: current trends and future perspectives. Journal of Antibiotics63:423–430. , , , , and .
- 2004. Adaptation varies through space and time in a coevolving host–parasitoid interaction. Nature431:841–844. , , and .
- 2008. Coevolution drives temporal changes in fitness and diversity across environments in a bacteria-bacteriophage interaction. Evolution62:1830–1839. , , , and .
- 2006. The competitive cost of antibiotic resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Science312:1944–1946. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Development of resistance in wild-type and hypermutable Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains exposed to clinical pharmacokinetic profiles of meropenem and ceftazidime simulated in vitro. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy51:3642–3649. , , , and .
- 2009. Trophic interactions and range limits: the diverse roles of predation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences276:1435–1442. , and .
- 1992. Analysis of adaptation in heterogeneous landscapes: implications for the evolution of fundamental niches. Evolutionary Ecology6:433–447. , and .
- 2010. Bacteriophages as potential new therapeutics to replace or supplement antibiotics. Trends in biotechnology28:591–595. , and .
- 1991. Long-term experimental evolution in Escherichia coli. I. adaptation and divergence during 2,000 generations. The American Naturalist138:1315–1341. , , , and .
- 1996. Phage therapy revisited: the population biology of a bacterial infection and its treatment with bacteriophage and antibiotics. The American Naturalist147:881–898. , and .
- 2000. Compensatory mutations, antibiotic resistance and the population genetics of adaptive evolution in bacteria. Genetics154:985–997. , , and .
- 2004. Antibacterial resistance worldwide: causes, challenges and responses. Nature Medicine10:S122–S129. , and .
- 1997. The population dynamics of antimicrobial chemotherapy. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy41:363–373. , and .
- 2010. Antagonistic coevolution across productivity gradients: an experimental test of the effects of dispersal. Journal of Evolutionary Biology23:207–211. , , and .
- 1943. Mutations of bacteria from virus sensitivity to virus resistance. Genetics28:491–511. , and .
- 2002. Compensatory adaptation to the deleterious effect of antibiotic resistance in Salmonella typhimurium. Molecular Microbiology46:355–366. , , , and .
- 2007. Predicting antibiotic resistance. Nature Reviews Microbiology5:958–965. , , and .
- 2003. Geographic diversity and temporal trends of antimicrobial resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae in the United States. Nature Medicine9:424–430. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Bacteriophage applications: where are we now?Letters in Applied Microbiology51:363–369. , , , , and .
- 2005. The effect of migration on local adaptation in a coevolving host-parasite system. Nature437:253–256. , , and .
- 2007. Coevolution with viruses drives the evolution of bacterial mutation rates. Nature450:1079–1081. , , , , and .
- 2007. Source-sink dynamics shape the evolution of antibiotic resistance and its pleiotropic fitness cost. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences274:2351–2356. , , and .
- 2010. Hypermutability and compensatory adaptation in antibiotic-resistant bacteria. The American Naturalist176:303–311. , , and .
- 2011. The phage therapy paradigm: pret-a-porter or sur-mesure?Pharmaceutical Research28:934–937. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The evolution of specificity in evolving and coevolving antagonistic interactions between a bacteria and its phage. Evolution62:1–11. , , , , and .
- 1996. Physical and genetic map of the Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 chromosome. Molecular Microbiology19:521–533. , and .
- 2011. The evolution of drug resistance and the curious orthodoxy of aggressive chemotherapy. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America108:10871–10877. , , and .
- 2010. Host-pathogen coevolution, secondary sympatry and species diversification. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences365:1139–1147.
- 1997. Adaptation to the fitness costs of antibiotic resistance in Escherichia coli. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences264:1287–1291. , , and .
- 1987. The control of experimental Escherichia coli diarrhoea in calves by means of bacteriophages. Journal of General Microbiology133:1111–1126. , , and .
- 2001. Bacteriophage therapy. Annual Review of Microbiology55:437–451.
- 2004. Old dogma, new tricks – 21st century phage therapy. Nature Biotechnology22:31–36.
- 2002. The fate of microbial mutators. Microbiology148:1247–1252.
- 2009. The cost of multiple drug resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Journal of Evolutionary Biology22:997–1003. , , and .
- 2011. Population biological principles of drug-resistance evolution in infectious diseases. The Lancet Infectious Diseases11:236–247. , , , , and .
- 2006. Emergence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with extensive resistance to second-line drugs – Worldwide, 2000–2004. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report55:301–305. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Drug interactions and the evolution of antibiotic resistance. Nature Reviews Microbiology7:460–466. , , , and .