Phylogeny meets ecotoxicology: evolutionary patterns of sensitivity to a common insecticide
Version of Record online: 23 JAN 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 5, Issue 6, pages 593–606, September 2012
How to Cite
Hammond, J. I., Jones, D. K., Stephens, P. R. and Relyea, R. A. (2012), Phylogeny meets ecotoxicology: evolutionary patterns of sensitivity to a common insecticide. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 593–606. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00237.x
- Issue online: 6 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 23 JAN 2012
- Received: 7 December 2011 Accepted: 13 December 2011
- 1999. Global amphibian declines: a problem in applied ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics30:133–165. , and .
- 2011. Acute toxicity of organic chemicals to Gammarus pulex correlates with sensitivity of Daphnia magna across most modes of action. Aquatic Toxicology103:38–45. , , , and .
- 2008. Endosulfan acute toxicity in Bufo bufo gills: ultrastructural changes and nitric oxide synthase localization. Aquatic Toxicology86:447–456. , , , , and .
- 1998. Toxicity of endosulfan to aquatic stages of anuran amphibians. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry17:1738–1744. , , , and .
- 2002. Complexity in conservation: lessons from the global decline of amphibian populations. Ecology Letters5:597–608. , and .
- 2002. Tempo and mode in evolution: phylogenetic inertia, adaptation and comparative methods. Journal of Evolutionary Biology15:899–910. , and .
- 2003. Testing for phylogenetic signal in comparative data: behavioral traits are more labile. Evolution57:717–745. , , and .
- 2007. Multiple stressors in amphibian communities: effects of chemical contamination, bullfrogs, and fish. Ecological Applications17:291–301. , , , and .
- 2000. Variation in pesticide tolerance of tadpoles among and within species of Ranidae and patterns of amphibian decline. Conservation Biology14:1490–1499. , and .
- 2008. Risks of Glyphosate Use to Federally Threatened California Red-Legged Frog (Rana aurora draytonii). US EPA, Washington, DC, USA, 180 pp. , , , , , , and .
- 1991. Toxicity to aquatic organisms of off-target deposition of endosulfan applied by aircraft. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry10:103–114. , , , , and
- 1973. Maximum likelihood and minimum-step methods for estimating evolutionary tress from data on discrete characters. Systematic Zoology22:240–249.
- 1971. Probit Analysis. Cambridge University Press, New York, NY.
- 2006. Pesticides in the Nation’s Streams and Ground Water, 1992–2001 – A Summary. Fact Sheet. U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA. , and .
- 1981. The acute toxicity of endosulfan to fresh-water organisms. Toxicology Letters7:453–456. , , , and .
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica16:183–190.
- 1998a. The functional integrity of northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens) and green frog (Rana clamitans) populations in orchard wetlands. I. Genetics, physiology, and biochemistry of breeding adults and young-of-the-year. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry17:1338–1350. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998b. The functional integrity of northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens) and green frog (Rana clamitans) populations in orchard wetlands. II. Effects of pesticides and eutrophic conditions on early life stage development. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry17:1351–1363. , , , , and .
- 2000. Species- and age-related differences in susceptibility to pesticide exposure for two amphibians, Rana pipiens, and Bufo americanus. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology64:263–270. , , , and .
- 2002. Hermaphroditic, demasculinized frogs after exposure to the herbicide atrazine at low ecologically relevant doses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America99:5476–5480. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Pesticide mixtures, endocrine disruption, and declines: are we underestimating the impact?Environmental Health Perspectives114:40–50. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Elevated trace element concentrations in southern toads, Bufo terrestris, exposed to coal combustion waste. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology35:325–329. , , , and .
- 2004. Overview of the Ecological Risk Assessment Process in the Office of Pesticide Programs, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. US EPA, Washington, DC. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Very highly toxic effects of endosulfan across nine species of tadpoles: lag effects and family-level sensitivity. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry28:1939–1945. , , and .
- 2010. Roundup® and amphibians: the importance of concentration, application time, and stratification. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry29:2016–2025. , , and .
- 2010. Picante: R tools for integrating phylogenies and ecology. Bioinformatics26:1463–1464. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Acute toxicity of the insecticides endosulfan, chlorpyrifos, and malathion to the epibenthic estuarine amphipod Gammarus palustris (Bousfield). Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry18:958–964. , and .
- 1999. Summertime transport of current-use pesticides from California’s central valley to the Sierra Nevada mountain range, USA. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry18:2715–2722. , , , , and .
- 1996. Phylogenetic perspectives on community ecology. Ecology77:1344–1354.
- 1998. Contingency and determinism in replicated adaptive radiations of island lizards. Science279:2115–2118. , , , , and .
- 1991. Null models for the number of evolutionary steps in a character on a phylogenetic tree. Evolution45:1184–1197. , and .
- 1998. Wet deposition of current-use pesticides in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, California, USA. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry17:1908–1916. , , , and .
- 2000. Building a regional species pool: diversification of the Enallagma damselflies in eastern North America. Ecology81:904–920. , and .
- 2001. Central & North West Region’s Water Quality Program. CNR2000.067. CNWRWQP Pesticide Report. Centre for Natural Resources, NSW Department of Land and Water Conservation, NSW, Australia.
- 2001. Microsatellite variation and fine-scale population structure in wood frog (Rana sylvatica). Molecular Ecology10:1087–1100. , and .
- 1999. Inferring the historical patterns of biological evolution. Nature401:877–884.
- 2003. Overlapping confidence intervals or standard error intervals: what do they mean in terms of statistical significance?Journal of Insect Science3:34–39. , , and .
- 2002. Local population differences in phenotypic plasticity: predator-induced changes in wood frog tadpoles. Ecological Monographs72:77–93.
- 2009. A cocktail of contaminants: how mixtures of pesticides at low concentrations affect aquatic communities. Oecologia159:363–376.
- 2008. An unforeseen chain of events: lethal effects of pesticides at sublethal concentrations. Ecological Applications18:1728–1742. , and .
- 2008. Interactive effects of predators and a pesticide on aquatic communities. Oikos117:1647–1658. , and .
- 2009. The toxicity of roundup original max® to 13 species of larval amphibians. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry28:2004–2008. , and .
- 2001. The relative roles of adaptation and phylogeny in determination of larval traits in diversifying anuran lineages. American Naturalist157:282–299.
- 1992. Evolution of ecological differences in the old-world leaf warblers. Nature355:817–821. , and .
- 2005. Effects of an herbicide and an insecticide on pond community structure and processes. Ecological Applications15:1135–1147. , and .
- 2008. Agrochemicals increase trematode infections in a declining amphibian species. Nature455:1235–1239. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Reregistration Eligibility Decision for Endosulfan. EPA 738-R-02-013. Reregistration Report. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC.
- 1994. Experimental-evidence that competition promotes divergence in adaptive radiation. Science266:798–801.
- 1997. Likelihood of ancestor states in adaptive radiation. Evolution51:1699–1711. , , , and .
- 2007. Comparative toxicity of chlorpyrifos, diazinon, malathion, and their oxon derivatives to larval Rana boylii. Environmental Pollution147:535–539. , and .
- 2001. Pesticides and amphibian population declines in California, USA. Environmental Toxicology Chemistry20:1591–1595. , , and .
- 2004. Convergence, divergence, and homogenization in the ecological structure of emydid turtle communities: the effects of phylogeny and dispersal. American Naturalist164:244–254. , and .
- 1999. Mitochondrial DNA reveals cryptic oligochaete species differing in cadmium resistance. Molecular Biology and Evolution16:967–974. , , , , and .
- 1999. Effects of malathion on disease susceptibility in Woodhouse’s toad. Journal of Wildlife Disease35:536–541. , , and .
- 1984. Sensitivity of toad larvae to 2,4-D and endosulfan pesticides. Archiv fuer Hydrobiologie100:395–400. , , and .
- 2005. Toxicity of α-, β-, (α + β)-endosulfan and their formulated and degradation products to Daphnia magna, Hyalella azteca, Oncorhynchus mykiss, Oncorhynchus kisutch, and biological implications in streams. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry24:1146–1154. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Ecomorphological diversification in lowland fresh-water fish assemblages from 5 biotic regions. Ecological Monographs61:343–365.