Life history and demographic determinants of effective/census size ratios as exemplified by brown trout (Salmo trutta)
Version of Record online: 23 JAN 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 5, Issue 6, pages 607–618, September 2012
How to Cite
Serbezov, D., Jorde, P. E., Bernatchez, L., Olsen, E. M. and Vøllestad, L. A. (2012), Life history and demographic determinants of effective/census size ratios as exemplified by brown trout (Salmo trutta). Evolutionary Applications, 5: 607–618. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00239.x
- Issue online: 6 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 23 JAN 2012
- Received: 17 November 2011 Accepted: 19 December 2011
Vol. 5, Issue 8, 925, Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2012
- 2003. Demographic and genetic estimates of effective population size (Ne) reveals genetic compensation in steelhead trout. Molecular Ecology12:35–49. , and .
- 2004. Estimating reaction norms for age and size at maturation when age at first reproduction is unknown. Evolutionary Ecology Research6:659–678. , , , and .
- 1989. Electrofishing – theory and practice with special emphasis on salmonids. Hydrobiologia173:9–43. , , , , and .
- 2008. Seasonal mortality and the effect of body size: a review and an empirical test using individual data on brown trout. Functional Ecology22:663–673. , , and .
- 2009. Effective population size and patterns of molecular evolution and variation. Nature Reviews Genetics10:195–205.
- 2009. The genetics of inbreeding depression. Nature Reviews. Genetics10:783–796. , and .
- 1988. Inbreeding and variance effective population numbers. Evolution42:482–495. , and .
- 1970. An Introduction to Population Genetics Theory. Harper & Row, New York, NY. , and .
- 1955. Measurement of gene frequency drift in small populations. Evolution9:202–214. , and .
- 2008. PERSPECTIVE: potential responses to climate change in organisms with complex life histories: evolution and plasticity in Pacific salmon. Evolutionary Applications1:252–270. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Complexity and demographic stability in population models. Theoretical Population Biology65:211–225. , , and .
- 2000. Effect of harvest and effective population size on genetic diversity in a striped bass population. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society129:1367–1372. , , , and .
- 2007. Of chickens and eggs: diverging propagule size of iteroparous and semelparous organisms. Evolution61:232–238. , and .
- 1998. Pattern and variability in the breeding system of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), with comparisons to other salmonids. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences55:59–76.
- 2004. Salmonid breeding systems. In A. P. Hendry, and S. C. Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated, pp. 264–294. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1995. Effective population-size adult population size ratios in wildlife – a review. Genetical Research66:95–107.
- 1996. Relationship of genetic variation to population size in wildlife. Conservation Biology10:1500–1508.
- 2010. Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- 2007. Comparative estimation of effective population sizes and temporal gene flow in two contrasting population systems. Molecular Ecology16:3866–3889. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Effect of life history strategy, environmental variability, and overexploitation on the genetic diversity of pelagic fish populations. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences56:1376–1388. , and .
- 2001. A Genetic evaluation of mating system and determinants of individual reproductive success in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Journal of Heredity92:137–145. , , and .
- 1991. Salmon breeding behavior and life history evolution in changing environments. Ecology72:1180–1186.
- 2010. MCMC methods for multi-response generalized linear mixed models: the MCMCglmm R package. Journal of Statistical Software33:1–22.
- 2006. Towards unbiased parentage assignment: combining genetic, behavioural and spatial data in a Bayesian framework. Molecular Ecology15:3715–3730. , , and .
- 2002. Long-term effective population sizes, temporal stability of genetic composition and potential for local adaptation in anadromous brown trout (Salmo trutta) populations. Molecular Ecology11:2523–2535. , , , , and .
- 1994. Does variance in reproductive success limit effective population size of marine organisms? In A. Beaumont, ed. Genetics and Evolution of Aquatic Organisms, pp. 122–134. Chapman and Hall, London.
- 2000. The impact of supplementation in winter-run chinook salmon on effective population size. Journal of Heredity91:112–116. , , , and .
- 2009. Dynamic micro-geographic and temporal genetic diversity in vertebrates: the case of lake-spawning populations of brown trout (Salmo trutta). Molecular Ecology18:1100–1111. , , , and .
- 2004. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives. Oxford University Press, New York, NY. , and .
- 1972. Effective size of populations with overlapping generations. Theoretical Population Biology3:278–289.
- 1979. Note on effective population size with overlapping generations. Genetics92:317–322.
- 2010. COLONY: a program for parentage and sibship inference from multilocus genotype data. Molecular Ecology Resources10:551–555. , and .
- 1996. Demographic genetics of brown trout (Salmo trutta) and estimation of effective population size from temporal change of allele frequencies. Genetics143:1369–1381. , and .
- 2008. The effect of multiple paternity on the genetically effective size of a population. Molecular Ecology17:3973–3977.
- 1998. Temporal change of mitochondrial DNA haplotype frequencies and female effective size in a brown trout (Salmo trutta) population. Evolution52:910–915. , , and .
- 2002. Spatial and temporal population structure of sea trout at the Island of Gotland, Sweden, delineated from mitochondrial DNA. Journal of Fish Biology60:49–71. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Effective population size, genetic variation, and their use in population management. In M. Soulé, ed. Viable Populations for Conservation, pp. 87–123. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 2006. High genetic diversity and no inbreeding in the endangered copper redhorse, Moxostoma hubbsi (Catostomidae, Pisces): the positive sides of a long generation time. Molecular Ecology15:1769–1780. , , and .
- 1991. Genetic consequences of local population extinction and recolonization. Trends in Ecology & Evolution6:5–8.
- 2007. Variation in reproductive success and effective number of breeders in a hatchery population of steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss): examination by microsatellite-based parentage analysis. Conservation Genetics, 9:295–304. , , , , and .
- 1989. Ecology and Management of Atlantic Salmon, Pages XIII, 351 s. Chapman and Hall, London.
- 1993. The influence of mating system and overlapping generations on effective population size. Evolution47:1329–1341.
- 1996. The influence of variation in female fecundity on effective population size. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society59:411–425.
- 1994. Estimating the effective population size of conserved populations. Conservation Biology8:175–184. , and .
- 2003. Microgeographical variation in brown trout reproductive traits: possible effects of biotic interactions. Oikos100:483–492. , and .
- 2003. Effective population size and temporal genetic change in stream resident brown trout (Salmo trutta, L.). Conservation Genetics4:249–265. , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: what can they tell us about the importance of genetic stochasticity for wild population persistence?Molecular Ecology17:3428–3447. , and .
- 1990. Feasibility of using implantable passive integrated transponder (PIT) tags in salmonids. American Fisheries Society Symposium7:317–322. , and
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 1991. Effects of supportive breeding on the genetically effective population size. Conservation Biology5:325–329. , and .
- 2010. Mating patterns and determinants of individual reproductive success in brown trout (Salmo trutta) revealed by parentage analysis of an entire stream living population. Molecular Ecology19:3193–3205. , , , and .
- 1976. Life-history tactics: a review of the ideas. The Quarterly Review of Biology51:3–47.
- 2008. Fine-Scale Genetic Structure of Brown Trout (Salmo trutta). MSc Thesis, Department of Biology, University of Oslo, Norway thesis, Oslo.
- 1996. Dimensionless life histories and effective population size. Conservation Biology10:1456–1462. , and .
- 2004. Sibship reconstruction from genetic data with typing errors. Genetics166:1963–1979.
- 1990. Conservation genetics of Pacific salmon. 3. Estimating effective population size. Journal of Heredity81:277–289.
- 2002. Evaluating the effect of stage-specific survivorship on the Ne/N ratio. Molecular Ecology11:1029–1037.
- 2010. The state of the field: spatial-temporal stratifications in natural populations and how they affect understanding and estimation of effective population size. Molecular Ecology Resources10:785–796.
- 2009. Genetic and evolutionary considerations in fishery management: research needs for the future. In R. Beamish, and B. Rothschild, eds. The Future of Fisheries Science in North America. pp. 427–451, Springer, New York. , and .
- 1938. Size of population and breeding structure in relation to evolution. Science87:430–431.
- 2004. Toward evolutionary management. Lessons from salmonids. In A. P. Hendry, and S. C. Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated. Salmon and Their Relatives, pp. 358–376. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1958. The removal method of population estimation. Journal of Wildlife Management22:82–90.