Genomic regions in crop–wild hybrids of lettuce are affected differently in different environments: implications for crop breeding
Article first published online: 23 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 6, pages 629–640, September 2012
How to Cite
Hartman, Y., Hooftman, D. A. P., Uwimana, B., van de Wiel, C. C. M., Smulders, M. J. M., Visser, R. G. F. and van Tienderen, P. H. (2012), Genomic regions in crop–wild hybrids of lettuce are affected differently in different environments: implications for crop breeding. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 629–640. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00240.x
- Issue published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 23 FEB 2012
- Received: 12 December 2011 Accepted: 21 December 2011
- 2004. Tandem constructs to mitigate transgene persistence: tobacco as a model. Molecular Ecology13:697–710. , , and .
- 2005. Quantitative trait loci associated with seed and seedling traits in Lactuca. Theoretical and Applied Genetics111:1365–1376. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Selection on domestication traits and quantitative trait loci in crop-wild sunflower hybrids. Molecular Ecology17:666–677. , , , , and .
- 1998. QTL analyses: power, precision and accuracy. In A. H. Paterson, ed. Molecular Dissection of Complex Trait, pp. 145–162. CRC Press, Boca Raton.
- 2009. Rapid evolution in crop-weed hybrids under artificial selection for divergent life histories. Evolutionary Applications2:172–186. , , , and .
- 2006. Letting the gene out of the bottle: the population genetics of genetically modified crops. New Phytologist170:429–443. , and .
- 1994. Empirical threshold values for quantitative mapping. Genetics138:963–971. , and .
- 2008. Marker-assisted selection: an approach for precision plant breeding in the twenty-first century. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B363:557–572. , and .
- 1999. Public concerns over transgenic crops. Genome Research9:1159–1162.
- 2008. Hybridization rates between lettuce (Lactuca sativa) and its wild relative (L. serriola) under field conditions. Environmental Biosafety Research7:61–71. , , and .
- 2009. Climate change, anthropogenic disturbance and the northward range expansion of Lactuca serriola (Asteraceae). Journal of Biogeography36:1573–1587. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Fitness effects and genetic architecture of plant-herbivore interactions in sunflower crop-wild hybrids. New Phytologist184:828–841. , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Permutation tests for multiple loci affecting a quantitative character. Genetics142:285–294. , and .
- EFSA. 2011. Guidance for risk assessment of food and feed from genetically modified plants. EFSA Journal9:2150.
- 2003. Dangerous Liaisons? When Cultivated Plants Mate with their Wild Relatives. John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- Over a decade of crop transgenes out-of-place. In C. A. Wozniak, and C. W. A. McHughen, eds. Regulation of Agricultural Biotechnology: The United States and Canada. Springer, New York, NY. In press.
- 2004. Quantitative trait locus analyses and the study of evolutionary process. Molecular Ecology13:2505–2522. , , , and .
- 2010. Adaptation and extinction in experimentally fragmented landscapes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA107:19120–19125. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Structure of linkage disequilibrium in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology54:357–374. , , and .
- 2006. Identifying loci under selection across contrasting environments in Avena barbata using quantitative trait locus mapping. Molecular Ecology15:1321–1333. , and .
- 2008. Heritable variation and genetic correlation of quantitative traits within and between ecotypes of Avena barbata. Journal of Evolutionary Biology21:737–748. , and .
- 2008. Pollen-mediated transgene flow in lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.). Plant Breeding127:308–314. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Tandem constructs: preventing the rise of superweeds. Trends in Biotechnology17:361–366.
- 2005. Genes invading new populations: a risk assessment perspective. Trends in Ecology and Evolution20:245–252. , and .
- 2004. Population genetics of transgene containment. Ecology Letters7:213–220. , , and .
- 2005. Demographic vital rates determine the performance advantage of crop-wild hybrids in lettuce. Journal of Applied Ecology42:1086–1095. , , , and .
- 2006. Invasive behaviour of Lactuca serriola (Asteraceae) in the Netherlands: spatial distribution and ecological amplitude. Basic and Applied Ecology7:507–519. , , and .
- 2007. Modelling the long-term consequences of crop-wild relative hybridization: a case study using four generations of hybrids. Journal of Applied Ecology44:1035–1045. , , , and .
- 2009. Existence of vigorous lineages of crop-wild hybrids in Lettuce under field conditions. Environmental Biosafety Research8:203–217. , , , and .
- 2011. Locus-dependent selection in crop-wild hybrids of lettuce under field conditions and its implication for GM crop development. Evolutionary Applications4:648–659. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Rapid displacement of native species by invasive species: effects of hybridization. Biological Conservation89:143–152.
- 2000. Lettuce, a shallow-rooted crop, and Lactuca serriola, its wild progenitor, differ at QTL determining root architecture and deep soil water exploitation. Theoretical and Applied Genetics101:1066–1073. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Species relationships in Lactuca SL (Lactuceae, Asteraceae) inferred from AFLP fingerprints. American Journal of Botany88:1881–1887. , , and .
- 2011. Transgene introgression in crop relatives: molecular evidence and mitigation strategies. Trends in Biotechnology29:284–293. , , , and .
- 2007. Hybridization, recombination, and the genetic basis of fitness variation across environments in Avena barbata. Genetica129:167–177. , , and .
- 2010. Quantitative trait locus mapping of genes under selection across multiple years and sites in Avena barbata: epistasis, pleiotropy, and genotype-by-environment interactions. Genetics185:375–385. , , and .
- 2006. Evaluating genetic containment strategies for transgenic plants. Trends in Biotechnology24:109–114. , and .
- 1998. Long-term introgression of crop genes into wild sunflower populations. Theoretical and Applied Genetics96:339–347. , , , , and .
- 2005. Epistasis for fitness-related quantitative traits in Arabidopsis thaliana grown in the field and in the greenhouse. Genetics171:2013–2027. , , , and .
- 2006. Detecting adaptive trait introgression between Iris fulva and I. brevicaulis in highly selective field conditions. Genetics172:2481–2489. , , and .
- 2008. Multi-environment QTL mixed models for drought stress adaptation in wheat. Theoretical and Applied Genetics117:1077–1091. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Mapping quantitative trait loci in plants: uses and caveats for evolutionary biology. Nature Reviews Genetics2:370–381.
- 2007. Stress and domestication traits increase the relative fitness of crop-wild hybrids in sunflower. Ecology Letters10:383–393. , , , and .
- 2004. How species evolve collectively: implications of gene flow and selection for the spread of advantageous alleles. Molecular Ecology13:1341–1356. , and .
- 2002. Directional selection is the primary cause of phenotypic diversification. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA99:12242–12245. , , , and .
- 2009. Genetic load and transgenic mitigating genes in transgenic Brassica rapa (field mustard) × Brassica napus (oilseed rape) hybrid populations. BMC Biotechnology9:93. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Long-term persistence of crop alleles in weedy populations of wild radish (Raphanus raphanistrum). New Phytologist186:537–548. , , , , , and .
- SPSS Inc.2009. PASW Statistics 17.0 Command Syntax Reference. SPSS Inc., Chicago.
- 2003. Transgene introgression from genetically modified crops to their wild relatives. Nature Reviews Genetics4:806–817. , , and .
- 2011. A genetic analysis of the introgression process from cultivated lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) to wild prickly lettuce (L. serriola L.). PhD thesis, Wageningen University, the Netherlands.
- 2008. Heritability in the genomics era – concepts and misconceptions. Nature Reviews Genetics9:255–266. , , and .
- 2002. MapChart: software for the graphical presentation of linkage maps and QTLs. Journal of Heredity93:77–78.
- 1997. Origin and domestication of Lactuca sativa L. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution44:165–174.
- 2010. Windows QTL Cartographer 2.5. Department of Statistics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC. , , and .
- 2008. Do escaped transgenes persist in nature? The case of an herbicide resistance transgene in a weedy Brassica rapa population. Molecular Ecology17:1387–1395. , , , and .
- 2002. Novel loci control variation in reproductive timing in Arabidopsis thaliana in natural environments. Genetics162:1875–1884. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Heterogeneous selection at specific loci in natural environments in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics165:321–329. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. QTLs for shelf life in lettuce co-locate with those for leaf biophysical properties but not with those for leaf developmental traits. Journal of Experimental Botany58:1433–1449. , , , , , , et al.