Life history change in response to fishing and an introduced predator in the East African cyprinid Rastrineobola argentea
Article first published online: 23 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 7, pages 677–693, November 2012
How to Cite
Sharpe, D. M. T., Wandera, S. B. and Chapman, L. J. (2012), Life history change in response to fishing and an introduced predator in the East African cyprinid Rastrineobola argentea. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 677–693. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00245.x
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 23 FEB 2012
- Received: 4 January 2012 Accepted: 9 January 2012
- 1996. The effects of predation on the age and size of maturity of prey. Evolution50:1052–1061. , and .
- 2003. Biodiversity and fishery sustainability in the Lake Victoria basin: an unexpected marriage?BioScience53:703–716. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Maturation of Newfoundland American plaice (Hippoglossoides platessoides): long-term trends in maturation reaction norms despite low fishing mortality?ICES Journal of Marine Science62:56–64. , , , and
- 2002. Large freshwater lakes: present state, trends, and future. Environmental Conservation29:21–38.
- 2011. Effect of predation and habitat quality on growth and reproduction of a stream fish. Ecology of Freshwater Fish20:102–113. , , and .
- 1993. Maturity of lake trout from eleven lakes in Alaska. Northwest Science67:78–87.
- 2007. The role of the freshwater shrimp Caridina nilotica (Roux) in the diet of the major commercial fish species in Lake Victoria, Tanzania. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management10:368–380. , and .
- 1999. Changes in size-at-maturity of Baltic cod (Gadus morhua) during a period of large variations in stock size and environmental conditions. Fisheries Research41:285–295. , and .
- 2007. Four decades of opposing natural and human-induced artificial selection acting on Windermere pike (Esox lucius). Ecology Letters10:512–521. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Natives adapting to invasive species: ecology, genes, and the sustainability of conservation. Ecological Research22:892–901.
- 2007. Changes in baseline growth and maturation parameters of Northwest Atlantic porbeagle, Lamna nasus, following heavy exploitation. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences64:19–29. , , and .
- 2008. Biodiversity conservation in African inland waters: lessons of the Lake Victoria region. Verhandlungen des Internationalen Verein Limnologie30:16–34. , , , , and .
- 1994. Maturation of white sucker, Catostomus commersoni, populations in Ontario. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences51:2066–2076. , and
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science297:94–96. , and .
- 2008. Effect of Ligula intestinalis on the reproductive capacity of Rastrineobola argentea in Lake Victoria. Journal of Fish Biology73:2249–2260. , , and .
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Blue Harvest: Inland Fisheries as an Ecosystem Service. United Nations Environment Programme, Penang. , , , , and .
- 1988. Evolution of life histories and yields in experimental populations of Daphnia magna. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society34:309–326. , and .
- 2004. Maturity changes in Norwegian spring-spawning herring Clupea harengus: compensatory or evolutionary responses?Marine Ecology Progress Series272:245–256. , and .
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences271:415–423. , , and .
- 2007. Rapid evolution in response to introduced predators I: rates and patterns of morphological and life-history trait divergence. BMC Evolutionary Biology7:1–11. , , , and .
- 1970. Life historical consequences of natural selection. American Naturalist104:1–24. , and .
- 1983. Genetic variation in quantitative traits and selective breeding in fish and shellfish. Aquaculture33:51–72.
- 2008. The invasion of an introduced predator, Nile perch (Lates niloticus, L.) in Lake Victoria (East Africa): chronology and causes. Environmental Biology of Fishes81:127–139. , , and .
- 2003. Fisheries-induced trends in reaction norms for maturation in North Sea plaice. Marine Ecology Progress Series257:247–257. , , , , and .
- 2010. Multiple stressors cause rapid ecosystem change in Lake Victoria. Freshwater Biology55:19–42. , , , , and .
- 1998. Management of evolving fish stocks. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences55:1971–1982.
- 2002. Estimating reaction norms for age and size at maturation with reconstructed immature size distributions: a new technique illustrated by application to Northeast Arctic cod. ICES Journal of Marine Science59:562–575. , , and .
- 1999. Perspective: the pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution53:1637–1653. , and .
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology17:20–29. , , and .
- 1986. Changes in the feeding biology of the Nile perch, Lates niloticus (L.) (Pisces: Centropomidae), in Lake Victoria, East Africa since its introduction in 1960, and its impact on the native fish community of the Nyanza Gulf. Journal of Fish Biology29:541–548.
- 1985. Batch fecundity in multiple spawning fishes. In R. Lasker, ed. An Egg Production Method for Estimating Spawning Biomass of Pelagic Fish: Application to the Northern Anchovy, Engraulis Mordax, pp. 67–77. U.S. Dcp. Commer, NOAA Tech. Rep. NMFS 36, Washington, DC. , , and .
- 2009. Avoidance of fisheries-induced evolution: management implications for catch selectivity and limit reference points. Evolutionary Applications2:324–334.
- 2005. Measuring marine fish biodiversity: temporal changes in abundance, life history and demography. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences360:315–338. , and .
- 2009. Size-selective fishing gear and life history evolution in the Northeast Arctic cod. Evolutionary Applications2 (3):356–370. , , and .
- 2007. Managing evolving fish stocks. Science318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Spatial and seasonal patterns in the feeding habits of juvenile Lates niloticus (L.), in the Mwanza Gulf of Lake Victoria. Hydrobiologia568:121–133. , , , and .
- 1992. Catastrophic change in species-rich freshwater ecosystems. BioScience42:846–858.
- 2009. Quantifying six decades of fishery selection for size and age at maturity in sockeye salmon. Evolutionary Applications2:523–536. , , and .
- 1997. Population differences in responses of red-legged frogs (Rana aurora) to introduced bullfrogs. Ecology78:1752–1760. , and .
- 1979. Optimal life histories under age-specific predation. American Naturalist114:399–417.
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science57:659–668.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series335:271–277.
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology3:343–359. , and .
- 2004. Predator-induced behaviour shifts and natural selection in field-experimental lizard populations. Nature432:505–508. , , and .
- LVFO. 2011. Lake Victoria fisheries organization homepage. http://www.lvfo.org (accessed on 12 September 2011).
- 2007. Survival of the Lake Victoria Rastrineobola argentea in a rapidly changing environment: biotic and abiotic interactions. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management10:407–415. , and .
- 2004. Trophic characterization of the dominant fishes in the Victoria and Kyoga lake basins. Ph.D Thesis, Makerere University.
- 2010. Life history differences parallel environmental differences among North American lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush) populations. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences67:314–325. , , and .
- 1979. Evolution of life histories in response to age-specific mortality factors. American Naturalist113:531–550.
- 2007. Towards sustainable exploitation of Nile perch consequential to regulated fisheries in Lake Victoria. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management10:449–457. , , , , and .
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolutionary changes in maturation reaction norms in North Sea sole Solea solea. Marine Ecology Progress Series351:189–199. , , and .
- 2001. The evolutionary impact of invasive species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences98:5446–5451. , and .
- 2008. A report of the fisheries catch assessment survey in the Ugandan waters of Lake Victoria for the February 2008 survey. NaFIRRI and NARO.
- NaFIRRI. 2004. Annual Report 2003/2004. National Fisheries Resources Research Institute, Jinja.
- NaFIRRI. 2005. Annual Report 2004/2005. National Fisheries Resources Research Institute, Jinja.
- NaFIRRI. 2008. Technical Report: Stock Assessment Task Force. National Fisheries Resources Research Institute, Jinja.
- 2001. Age validation of a tropical cyprinid, Rastrineobola argentea (Pellegrin 1904) by immersion in tetracycline hydrochloride and use of phi prime. African Journal of Tropical Hydrobiology and Fisheries10:1–13. , , and .
- 1985. The effects of predation by Nile perch, Lates niloticus (Linne), introduced into Lake Kyoga (Uganda) in relation to the fisheries of Lake Kyoga and Lake Victoria. In FAO Fisheries Report No. 335. (pp. 18–39).
- 1990a. Changes in the prey ingested and the variations in the Nile perch and other fish stocks of Lake Kyoga and the northern waters of Lake Victoria (Uganda). Journal of Fish Biology37:55–63.
- 1990b. The decline of the native fishes of lakes Victoria and Kyoga (East Africa) and the impact of introduced species, especially the Nile perch, Lates niloticus, and the Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus. Environmental Biology of Fishes27:81–96.
- 1993. The effects of predation by Nile perch, Lates niloticus L., on the fish of Lake Nabugabo, with suggestions for conservation of endangered endemic cichlids. Conservation Biology7:701–711.
- 2004. Management of the Nile perch, Lates niloticus fishery in Lake Victoria in light of the changes in its life history characteristics. African Journal of Ecology42:306–314.
- 2010. Fitness landscape of Atlantic cod shaped by harvest selection and natural selection. Evolutionary Ecology25:695–710. , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Humans as the world’s greatest evolutionary force. Science293:1786–1790.
- 2009. Temporal trends in probabilistic maturation reaction norms and growth of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) on the Icelandic shelf. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences66:1719–1733. , , , , and
- 2009. Fishing down and fishing hard: ecological change in the Nile perch of Lake Nabugabo, Uganda. Ecology of Freshwater Fish18:380–394. , and .
- 1970. On r-and K-selection. The American Naturalist104:592–597.
- 2011. Unexpected patterns of fisheries collapse in the world’s oceans. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences108:8317–8322. , , , and .
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptations: what empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica112:183–198. , and .
- 2005. Fisheries-induced adaptive change in reproductive investment in North Sea plaice (Pleuronectes platessa)?Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences62:833–843. , , and .
- 2000. Global biodiversity scenarios for the year 2100. Science287:1770–1774. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Patterns of the remnant cichlid fauna in southern Lake Victoria. Conservation Biology11:890–904. , , , , and .
- 2009. Life history change in commercially exploited fish stocks: an analysis of trends across studies. Evolutionary Applications2:260–275. , and .
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution18:94–101. , , and .
- 2000. Fishing as an evolutionary force. Marine Ecology Progress Series208:307–309. , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary responses of natives to introduced species: what do introductions tell us about natural communities?Ecology Letters9:357–374. , , and .
- 2010. Alien species in fresh waters: ecological effects, interactions with other stressors, and prospects for the future. Freshwater Biology55:152–174.
- 2004. Variation in catch composition of Rastrineobola argentea Pellegrin (“Mukene”) fishery in relation to distance from shore on Lake Victoria (Uganda). M.Sc. Thesis: 97 pp.
- 2009. Human-induced changes in the reproductive traits of Lake Constance common whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus). Journal of Evolutionary Biology22:88–96. , , , and .
- 1995. Age at maturity as a stress indicator in fisheries. BioScience45:759–771.
- 2007. Spatial and temporal changes in the distribution of Rastrineobola argentea in Lake Victoria. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management10:398–406. , , , , and .
- UNEP. 2006. Lake Victoria: Falling water levels concern for growing population. Africa’s lakes: atlas of our changing environment, 90 pp. http://na.unep.net/atlas/africaLakes/downloads/posters/Lake_Victoria.pdf (accessed 12 September 2011).
- 1982. Phenotypic evolution in a poorly dispersing snail after arrival of a predator. Nature229:349–350.
- 2010. Fisheries-induced evolution in growth, maturation and reproductive investment of the sexually dimorphic North Sea plaice (Pleuronectes platessa L.). Journal of Sea Research64:85–93. , , , and .
- 2008. Interactions between the direct and indirect effects of predators determine life history evolution in a killifish. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences105:594–599. , and .
- 1994. Effects of Nile perch (Lates niloticus) introduction into Lake Victoria, East Africa, on the diet of Pied Kingfishers (Ceryle rudis). Hydrobiologia279–280:367–376. , and .
- 1996. Foraging locations of kingfishers and cormorants at Lake Victoria depend on the distribution of harvestable prey. African Journal of Ecology34:90–93.
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters9:142–148. , , , and .
- 1992. A study of Rastrineobola argentea in the Ugandan lakes. In P. Manini, ed. The Lake Victoria Dagaa (Rastrineobola argentea): Report of the First Meeting of the Working Group on Lake Victoria Rastrineobola argentea, pp. 36. FAO/UNDP, Bujumbura.
- 1999. Reproductive biology of Rastrineobola argentea (Pellegrin) in the northern waters of Lake Victoria. In I. G. Cowx, and D. Tweddle, eds. Report on the Fourth FIDAWOG Workshop Held at Kisumu, 16–20 Aug 1999, pp. 184–191. LVFRP/TECH/99/07. UNECIA, Kisumu.
- 1995. Growth and mortality of dagaa (Rastrineobola argentea Fam. Cyprinidae) in Lake Victoria. NAGO, ICLARM Quarterly: 42–45. , and
- 1998. The pelagic cyprinid Rastrineobola argentea as a crucial link in the disrupted ecosystem of Lake Victoria. Ph.D Thesis. 288 pp.
- 1999. Prospects for the fishery on the small pelagic Rastrineobola argentea in Lake Victoria. Hydrobiologia407:183–189.
- 2000. The use of perturbation as a natural experiment: effects of predator introduction on the community structure of zooplanktivorous fish in Lake Victoria. Advances in Ecological Research31:533–570. , and .
- 1992. Patterns of life-history diversification in North American fishes: implications for population regulation. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences49:2196–2218. , and .
- 1992. The destruction of an endemic species flock: quantitative data on the decline of the haplochromine cichlids of Lake Victoria. Environmental Biology of Fishes34:1–28. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Recovery of cichlid species in Lake Victoria: an examination of factors leading to differential extinction. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries10:233–241. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Reproductive investment in the North Sea haddock: temporal and spatial variation. Marine Ecology Progress Series432:149–160. , , , and .
- 2004. Temporal and spatial variation in reproductive investment of Atlantic cod Gadus morhua in the northern North Sea and Scottish west coast. Marine Ecology Progress Series276:237–248. , and .