Can interbreeding of wild and artificially propagated animals be prevented by using broodstock selected for a divergent life history?
Article first published online: 28 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 7, pages 705–719, November 2012
How to Cite
Seamons, T. R., Hauser, L., Naish, K. A. and Quinn, T. P. (2012), Can interbreeding of wild and artificially propagated animals be prevented by using broodstock selected for a divergent life history?. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 705–719. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00247.x
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 28 FEB 2012
- Received: 30 December 2011 Accepted: 9 January 2012
- 1985. The interaction of size and experience in dominance relationships of juvenile steelhead trout (Salmo gairdneri). Behaviour92:241–253. , , and
- 2002. A model-based method for identifying species hybrids using multilocus genetic data. Genetics160:1217–1229. , and
- 2008. An improved method for predicting the accuracy of genetic stock identification. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences65:1475–1486. , , and
- 2010. Is hatchery stocking a help or harm?: evidence, limitations and future directions in ecological and genetic surveys. Aquaculture308:S2–S11. , and
- 2007a. Reproductive success of captive bred steelhead trout in the wild: evaluation of three hatchery programs in the Hood River. Conservation Biology21:181–190. , , , , and
- 2007b. Genetic effects of captive breeding cause a rapid, cumulative fitness decline in the wild. Science318:100–103. , , and
- 2008. Fitness of hatchery-reared salmonids in the wild. Evolutionary Applications1:342–355. , , , and
- 2009. Carry-over effect of captive breeding reduces reproductive fitness of wild-born descendants in the wild. Biology Letters5:621–624. , , and
- 2005. Genetic analyses of juvenile steelhead, coastal cutthroat trout, and their hybrids differ substantially from field identifications. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society134:829–840. , , and
- 2005. Restocking and Stock Enhancement of Marine Invertebrate Fisheries. Vol. 49, Advances in Marine Biology: Academic Press. , , , , , , and , eds
- 2004. Review of Relative Fitness of Hatchery and Natural Salmon. U.S. Dept. Commer, NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS-NWFSC-61. 28 p. Northwest Fisheries Science Center, Seattle, WA. , and
- 2004. The controversy about salmon hatcheries. Fisheries29:12–31. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Model Selection and Multimodel Inference: A Practical Information-Theoretic Approach, 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, USA. , and
- 1995. Genetic risks and hazards in hatchery operations; fundamental concepts and issues. American Fisheries Society Symposium15:71–80. , and
- 1996. Status review of west coast steelhead from Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and California. U. S. Dep. Commer, NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS-NWFSC-27, 261 p. Northwest Fisheries Science Center, Seattle, WA. , , , , , , and
- 1995. Genetic effects of hatchery fish on wild populations of Pacific salmon and steelhead: what do we really know? In H. L. Schramm Jr, and R. G. Piper, eds. Uses and Effects of Cultured Fishes in Aquatic Ecosystems, pp. 337–353. American Fisheries Society Symposium 15, Bethesda, MD.
- 2008. A review of quantitative genetic components of fitness in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications1:222–238. , and
- 2011. Conciliation biology: the eco-evolutionary management of permanently invaded biotic systems. Evolutionary Applications4:184–199.
- 2011. Reduced recruitment performance in natural populations of anadromous salmonids associated with hatchery-reared fish. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences68:511–522. , , and
- 2011a. Who are the missing parents? Grandparentage analysis identifies multiple sources of gene flow into a wild population. Molecular Ecology20:1263–1276. , , and
- 2011b. Genetic adaptation to captivity can occur in a single generation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science109:238–242. , , , and
- 1979. The Origin and History of Trout Brood Stocks of the Washington Department of Game. Washington Dept. of Game, Olympia, WA.
- 2010. Beta regression in R. Journal of Statistical Software34:1–24. , and
- 2009. Estimating the ratio of hatchery-produced to wild adult steelhead on the spawning grounds using scale pattern analysis. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society138:15–22. , , , , and
- 2010. Homing and spawning site selection by supplemented hatchery- and natural-origin Yakima River spring Chinook salmon. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society139:1014–1028. , , , , , and
- 2003. The ecology of bird introductions. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics34:71–98. , , and
- 2000. Selection against late emergence and small offspring in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Evolution54:628–639. , and
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics164:1567–1587. , , and
- 2002. Selection in captivity during supportive breeding may reduce fitness in the wild. Conservation Biology16:815–825.
- 2011. Extent and scale of local adaptation in salmonid fishes: review and meta-analysis. Heredity106:404–420. , , , , and
- 1995. FSTAT (Version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity86:485–486.
- 2000. Microsatellite and mitochondrial DNA polymorphism reveals life-history dependent interbreeding between hatchery and wild brown trout (Salmo trutta L.). Molecular Ecology9:583–594. , , , and
- 2006. Genetic restoration of a stocked brown trout Salmo trutta population using microsatellite DNA analysis of historical and contemporary samples. Journal of Applied Ecology43:669–679. , , , , and
- 2006. An empirical verification of population assignment methods by marking and parentage data: hatchery and wild steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in Forks Creek, Washington, USA. Molecular Ecology15:3157–3173. , , , , and
- 2006. Genetic diversity in steelhead before and after conservation hatchery operation in a coastal, boreal river. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society135:251–267. , , , and
- 1991. Genetic effects of cultured fish on natural fish populations. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences48:945–957. , , and
- 2009. Factors that contribute to the ecological risks of salmon and steelhead hatchery programs and some mitigating strategies. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries19:9–31.
- 2003. Naturally spawning hatchery steelhead contribute to smolt production but experience low reproductive success. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society132:780–790. , , and
- 2010. Compromising genetic diversity in the wild: unmonitored large-scale release of plants and animals. Trends in Ecology & Evolution25:520–529. , , , and
- 2011. Incorporating evolutionary principles into environmental management and policy. Evolutionary Applications4:315–325. , , , and
- 1996. Genetic introgression between native and introduced brown trout Salmo trutta L. populations in the Rhône river basin. Molecular Ecology5:417–426. , and
- Leber, K. M., S. Kitada, T. Svåsand, and H. L. Blankenship eds. 2004. Stock Enhancement and Sea Ranching: Developments, Pitfalls and Opportunities, 2 edn. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford.
- 1984. Spawning characteristics of sympatric populations of steelhead trout (Salmo gairdneri): evidence for partial reproductive isolation. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences41:1454–1462. , , and
- 2010. Responsible approach to marine stock enhancement: an update. Reviews in Fisheries Science18:189–210. , , and
- 2001. Comparisons of run timing, spatial distribution, and length of wild and newly established hatchery populations of steelhead in Forks Creek, Washington. North American Journal of Fisheries Management21:717–724. , , and
- 2005. Assignment methods: matching biological questions with appropriate techniques. Trends in Ecology and Evolution20:136–142. , , and
- 2003. Differential reproductive success of sympatric, naturally spawning hatchery and wild steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) through the adult stage. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences60:433–440. , , and
- 2004. Differential reproductive success of sympatric, naturally spawning hatchery and wild steelhead, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Environmental Biology of Fishes69:359–369. , , and
- 2004. Hatchery reform: principles and recommendations of the HSRG. 1305 Fourth Avenue, Suite 810, Seattle, WA 98101 (available from http://www.hatcheryreform.org): Long Live the Kings. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Hatchery reform in Washington State: principles and emerging issues. Fisheries30:11–23. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Channel type and salmonid spawning distribution and abundance. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences56:377–387. , , , and
- 2008. An evaluation of the effects of conservation and fishery enhancement hatcheries on wild populations of salmon. Advances in Marine Biology53:61–194. , , , , , , and
- National Research Council. 1996. Upstream: Salmon and Society in the Pacific Northwest. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 2006. Hybridlab (version 1.0): a program for generating simulated hybrids from population samples. Molecular Ecology Notes6:971–973. , , and
- 2007. A caution regarding rules of thumb for variance inflation factors. Quality & Quantity41:673–690.
- 2001. Bayesian methods for analysis of stock mixtures from genetic characters. Fishery Bulletin99:151–167. , and
- 2004. GENECLASS2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. Journal of Heredity95:536–539. , , , , , and
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics155:945–959. , , and
- 1993. A review of homing and straying of wild and hatchery-produced salmon. Fisheries Research (Amsterdam)18:29–44.
- 2005. The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA.
- R Foundation for Statistical Computing. 2009. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria ISBN 3-900051-07-0, http://www.R-project.org (accessed on 09 February 2012).
- 1998. Factors affecting the outcome of territorial contests between hatchery and naturally reared coho salmon parr in the laboratory. Journal of Fish Biology53:1220–1230. , and
- 2008. GENEPOP’007: a complete re-implementation of the GENEPOP software for Windows and Linux. Molecular Ecology Resources8:103–106.
- 1995. Supportive breeding and variance effective population size. Conservation Biology9:1619–1628. , , and
- 2004. The mating system of steelhead, Oncorhynchus mykiss, inferred by molecular analysis of parents and progeny. Environmental Biology of Fishes69:333–344. , , and
- 2007. DNA parentage analysis reveals inter-annual variation in selection: results from 19 consecutive brood years in steelhead trout. Evolutionary Ecology Research9:409–431. , , and
- 1954. Life histories of the steelhead rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri gairdneri) and silver salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) with special reference to Waddell Creek, California, and recommendations regarding their management. California Dept. Fish and Game, Fish Bulletin98:375. , and
- 2010. Improved estimators for a general class of beta regression models. Computational statistics and Data Analysis54:348–366. , and
- Stouder, D. J., P. A. Bisson, and R. J. Naiman eds. 1996. Pacific Salmon and their Ecosystems: Status and Future Options. Chapman and Hall, New York, NY.
- 1999. Politics is at the bottom of the whole thing: spatial relations of power in Oregon salmon management. In R. White, and J. M. Findlay, eds. Power and Place in the North American West, pp. 233–263. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA.
- 1997. Regeneration of adipose fins given complete and incomplete clips. North American Journal of Fisheries Management17:467–469. , and
- USGS. 2011. Willapa River Time-series: Daily statistics. United States Geological Survey. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv/?site_no=12013500?PARAmeter_cd=00060,00065 (accessed on 23 March 2011).
- 2005. Implementing false discovery rate control: increasing your power. Oikos108:643–647. , , and
- 1989. A generalized approach for estimating effective population size from temporal changes in allele frequency. Genetics121:379–391.
- 1991. Genetic interactions between hatchery and wild salmonids: lessons from the Pacific Northwest. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences48:124–133.
- 1999. Dispelling some myths about hatcheries. Fisheries24:12–21.
- 2008. LDNE: a program for estimating effective population size from data on linkage disequilibrium. Molecular Ecology Resources8:753–756. , and
- 2010. Linkage disequilibrium estimates of contemporary Ne using highly variable genetic markers: a largely untapped resource for applied conservation and evolution. Evolutionary Applications3:244–262. , and
- WDFW. 2011. SalmonScape, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s interactive, computer mapping system. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. http://wdfw.wa.gov/mapping/salmonscape/index.html (accessed on 21 March 2011).