Untangling the positive genetic correlation between rainbow trout growth and survival
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 7, pages 732–745, November 2012
How to Cite
Vehviläinen, H., Kause, A., Kuukka-Anttila, H., Koskinen, H. and Paananen, T. (2012), Untangling the positive genetic correlation between rainbow trout growth and survival. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 732–745. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00251.x
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2012
- Received: 12 January 2012 Accepted: 20 January 2012
- 2000. The evolution of body size: what keeps organisms small?The Quarterly Review of Biology75:385–407.
- 2004. Carotenoids and life-history evolution in animals. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics430:10–15.
- 2006. Evo-devo and constraints on selection. Trends in Ecology & Evolution21:362–368.
- 2008. A review of quantitative genetic components of fitness in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications1:222–238. , and .
- 1990. Optimization models, quantitative genetics, and mutation. Evolution44:520–538.
- 2011. The evolution of growth trajectories: what limits growth rate?Biological Reviews86:97–116.
- 2009. Just how much is the G-matrix actually constraining adaptation?Evolutionary Biology36:323–326.
- 1960. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Robert MacLehose and Co., Glascow, UK.
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK.
- 2000. Life-history correlates of evolution under high and low adult mortality. Evolution54:1260–1272. , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic (co)variation in harvest body weight and survival in Penaeus (Litopenaeus) vannamei under standard commercial conditions. Aquaculture243:83–92. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The first family-based breeding program in aquaculture. Reviews in Aquaculture2:2–15.
- 1997. Past, present, and future of genetic improvement in salmon aquaculture. ICES Journal of Marine Science54:1009–1014. , and .
- 2001. Disease-induced variability of genetic correlations: ascites in broilers as a case study. Journal of Animal Science79:1723–1733. , , , , and .
- 1981. Modification of estimates of parameters in the construction of genetic selection indexes (Bending). Biometrics37:483–493. , and .
- 1943. The genetic basis of constructing selection indices. Genetics28:476–490.
- 2008. Genetic aspects regarding piglet losses and the maternal behaviour of sows. Part 1. Genetic analysis of piglet mortality and fertility traits in pigs. Animal2:1273–1280. , , , , , and .
- 1975. Best linear unbiased estimation and prediction under a selection model. Biometrics31:423–447.
- 2002. Genetic variation for growth rate, feed conversion efficiency, and disease resistance exists within a farmed population of rainbow trout. Aquaculture209:59–76. , , , , , , and .
- 1993. Selection experiments in salmon ranching. 1. Genetic and environmental sources of variation in survival and growth in fresh-water. Aquaculture109:225–236.
- 2002. Selection and phenotypic plasticity in evolutionary biology and animal breeding. Livestock Production Science78:195–214. , and .
- 2001. Seasonality and genetic architecture of development time and body size of the birch feeding sawfly Priophorus pallipes. Genetical Research78:31–40. , and .
- 1999. How to become large quickly: quantitative genetics of growth and foraging in a flush feeding lepidopteran larva. Journal of Evolutionary Biology12:471–482. , , , and .
- 2001. Seasonally varying diet quality and the quantitative genetics of development time and body size in birch feeding insects. Evolution55:1992–2001. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Coupling body weight and its composition: a quantitative genetic analysis in rainbow trout. Aquaculture211:65–79. , , , , and .
- 2003. Big and beautiful? Quantitative genetic parameters for appearance of large rainbow trout. Journal of Fish Biology62:610–622. , , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic trends in growth, sexual maturity and skeletal deformations, and rate of inbreeding in a breeding programme for rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquaculture247:177–187. , , , , and .
- 2006. Feed efficiency of rainbow trout can be improved through selection: different genetic potential on alternative diets. Journal of Animal Science84:807–817. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Direct and indirect selection of visceral lipid weight, fillet weight, and fillet percentage in a rainbow trout breeding program. Journal of Animal Science85:3218–3227. , , , and .
- 2011. Quality and production trait genetics of farmed European whitefish, Coregonus lavaretus. Journal of Animal Science89:959–971. , , , , and .
- 2006. Heritability and genetic correlations of growth and survival in black tiger prawn Penaeus monodon reared in tanks. Aquaculture259:138–145. , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Spawning induces a shift in energy metabolism from glucose to lipid in rainbow trout white muscle. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry14:439–448. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Quantitative genetic architecture of parasite-induced cataract in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Heredity104:20–27. , , , , and .
- 2010. Growth performance, mortality and carotenoid pigmentation of fry offspring as affected by dietary supplementation of astaxanthin to female rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) broodstock. Journal of Applied Ichthyology26:35–39. , , , , and .
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution applied to brain: body size allometry. Evolution33:402–416.
- 2010. Use of laboratory assays to predict subsequent growth and survival of Pacific oyster (Crassostrea gigas) families planted in coastal waters. Aquaculture306:68–79. , , , and .
- 2009. Immunity in a variable world. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences364:15–26. , and .
- 2008. DMU – a package for analysing multivariate mixed models, version 6. http://www.dmu.agrsci.dk (accessed on 12 January 2012). , and .
- 1991. Simulation study on covariance component estimation for two binary traits in an underlying continuous scale. Journal of Dairy Science74:580–591. , , and .
- 2008. The evolutionary costs of immunological maintenance and deployment. BMC Evolutionary Biology8:76. , , , and .
- 1999. Genetic architecture of fitness and nonfitness traits: empirical patterns and development of ideas. Heredity83:103–109. , and .
- 2010. Genetic analysis of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) strains I: genetic parameters and heterosis for growth traits and survival. Aquaculture304:14–21. , , , , , , and .
- 1986. Acquisition and allocation of resources: their influence on variation in life history tactics. The American Naturalist128:137–142. , and .
- 2001. Inbreeding changes the shape of the genetic covariance matrix in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics158:1137–1145. , , and .
- 2000. The fall and rise of Dr Pangloss: adaptationism and the Spandrels paper 20 years later. Trends in Ecology & Evolution15:66–70. , and .
- 2007. Breeding salmonids for feed efficiency in current fishmeal and future plant-based diet environments. Genetics, Selection, Evolution39:431–446. , , , and .
- 1998. Undesirable side effects of selection for high production efficiency in farm animals: a review. Livestock Production Science56:15–33. , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic parameters for early lamb survival and growth in Scottish Blackface sheep. Journal of Animal Science86:1758–1764. , , and .
- 1984. Genetic variation in weight and survival of brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis). Aquaculture38:155–170. , and .
- 2010. Genetic parameters of piglet survival and birth weight from a two-generation crossbreeding experiment under outdoor conditions designed to disentangle direct and maternal effects. Journal of Animal Science88:1276–1285. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories, Theory and Analysis. Chapman and Hall, New York, USA.
- 1996. The evolution of genetic correlations: an analysis of patterns. Evolution50:1392–1403.
- 2011. Path analysis of the genetic integration of traits in the sand cricket: a novel use of BLUPs. Journal of Evolutionary Biology24:1857–1869. , and .
- 1984. Genetic covariation in Drosophila life-history – untangling the data. The American Naturalist123:565–569.
- 2010. Genetic Improvement Programs For Aquaculture Species In Developed Countries. Proceedings of the 9th world congress on genetics applied to livestock production. http://www.kongressband.de/wcgalp2010/assets/pdf/0963.pdf (accessed on 12 January 2012). , , and .
- 1990. Survival in early life of Atlantic salmon and rainbow trout: estimates of heritabilities and genetic correlations. Aquaculture89:209–216. , , and .
- SAS. 2008. SAS/STAT User’s Guide, Version 9.2. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC, USA.
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution50:1766–1774.
- 1990. Developing a color card for raw flesh of astaxanthin-fed salmon. Journal of Food Science55:356–363. , , , , and .
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, New York, USA.
- 2007. Correlated responses to artificial body size selection in growth, development, phenotypic plasticity and juvenile viability in yellow dung flies. Journal of Evolutionary Biology20:87–103. , , and .
- 2008. Survival of the currently fittest – genetics of rainbow trout survival across time and space. Genetics180:507–516. , , , , and .
- 2010a. Genetic architecture of rainbow trout survival from egg to adult. Genetics Research92:1–11. , , , and .
- 2010b. Comparison of direct and indirect selection for rainbow trout sea grow-out survival. Proceedings of the 9th world congress on genetics applied to livestock production. http://www.kongressband.de/wcgalp2010/assets/pdf/0951.pdf (accessed on 12 January 2012). , , , , and .
- 2008. Viability of brown trout embryos positively linked to melanin-based but negatively to carotenoid-based colours of their fathers. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B: Biological Sciences275:1737–1744. , , , , and .
- 1920. The relative importance of heredity and environment in determining the piebald pattern of guinea-pigs. Genetics6:320–332.