Drugs that target pathogen public goods are robust against evolved drug resistance
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 7, pages 757–761, November 2012
How to Cite
Pepper, J. W. (2012), Drugs that target pathogen public goods are robust against evolved drug resistance. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 757–761. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00254.x
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2012
- Received: 30 January 2012, Accepted: 9 February 2012
- 2004. Experiments in digital evolution (editors’ introduction to the special issue). Artificial Life10:117–122. , and .
- 2005. Multicellular organization in bacteria as a target for drug therapy. Ecology Letters8:800–810. , and .
- 2010. Theory for the evolution of diffusible external goods. Evolution64:2682–2687. , and .
- 2007. Cumulative effects of several nonenzymatic mechanisms on the resistance of Pseudomonas aeruginosa to aminoglycosides. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy51:1016–1021. , , , , and .
- 2003. Reemergence of established Pathogens in the 21st Century. Kluwer, New York. , and , eds.
- 1975. Innate social aptitudes of man: an approach from evolutionary genetics. In F. R. Robin Fox, ed. Biosocial Anthropology, pp. 133–153. Malaby Press, London, UK.
- 2010. Bacterial charity work leads to population-wide resistance. Nature467:82–U113. , , , and .
- 2003. Drug Resistance and its Clinical Circumvention. In Cancer Medicine 6, edited by D.W. Kufe, R.E. Pollack, R.R. Weichselbaum, R.C. Bast. Jr., T.S. Gansler, J.F. Holland and E. Frei III. Hamilton: BC Decker Inc. , , and .
- 2007. Drug resistance in cancer – searching for mechanisms, markers and therapeutic agents. Expert Opinion on Drug Metabolism & Toxicology 3 (6):805–817. , , , and .
- 2004. The “averaging fallacy” and the levels of selection. Biology and Philosophy19:167–184.
- 2007. Models, simulations, instantiations, and evidence: the case of digital evolution. Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Artificial Intelligence19:29–42.
- 2007. Simple models of assortment through environmental feedback. Artificial Life13:1–9.
- 2008. Defeating pathogen drug resistance: guidance from evolutionary theory. Evolution62:3185–3191.
- 1970. Selection and covariance. Nature227:520–521.
- 1972. Extension of covariance selection mathematics. Annals of Human Genetics35:485–490.
- 2003. Diffusion in biofilms. Journal of Bacteriology185:1485–1491.
- 1985. Soft selection, hard selection, kin selection, and group selection. American Naturalist125:61–73.
- 2007. Social semantics: altruism, cooperation, mutualism, strong reciprocity and group selection. Journal of Evolutionary Biology20:415–432. , , and .