Natural selection in utero induced by mass layoffs: the hCG evidence
Article first published online: 4 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 8, pages 796–805, December 2012
How to Cite
Catalano, R., Margerison-Zilko, C., Goldman-Mellor, S., Pearl, M., Anderson, E., Saxton, K., Bruckner, T., Subbaraman, M., Goodman, J., Epstein, M., Currier, R. and Kharrazi, M. (2012), Natural selection in utero induced by mass layoffs: the hCG evidence. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 796–805. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00258.x
- Issue published online: 24 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2012
- Received: 20 December 2011 Accepted: 23 February 2012
- 2001. Human fetal and neonatal movement patterns: gender differences and fetal-to-neonatal continuity. Developmental Psychobiology38:252–273. , , and
- 1988. Time-series modeling for statistical process control. Journal of Business and Economic Statistics6:87–95. , and
- 2009. The gestational timing of pregnancy loss: adaptive strategy?American Journal of Human Biology21:725–727. .
- 2005. The epigenetic environment: secondary sex ratio depends on differential survival in embryogenesis. Human Reproduction20:583–587. .
- 1994. Time Series Analysis: Forecasting and Control, 3rd edn. Prentice Hall, London, UK. , , and
- 2007. The sex ratio and age-specific male mortality: evidence for culling in utero. American Journa of Human Biology19:763–773. , and
- 2006. Spontaneous abortion: a prospective cohort study of younger women from the general population in Denmark. Validation, occurrence and risk determinants. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica85:467–475. , , , , , , and
- 2003. Macroeconomic expectations of households and professional forecasters. Quarterly Journal of Economics118:269–298.
- 2003. Sex ratios in the two Germanies: a test of the economic stress hypothesis. Human Reproduction18:1972–1975. .
- 2011. Selection in utero contributes to the male longevity deficit. Social Science & Medicine72:999–1003. .
- 2005. Economic antecedents of the Swedish sex ratio. Social Science & Medicine60:537–543. , and
- 2006. Secondary sex ratios and male lifespan: damaged or culled cohorts. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America103:1639–1643. , and
- 1987. A test of reciprocal risk between undesirable economic and noneconomic life events. American Journal of Community Psychology15:633–651. , , and
- 2005. Fetal death sex ratios: a test of the economic stress hypothesis. International Journal of Epidemiology34:944–948. , , , and
- 2008. Ambient temperature predicts sex ratios and male longevity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America105:2244–2247. , , and
- 2009a. Gender-specific selection in utero among contemporary human birth cohorts. Paediaticr and Perinatal Epidemiology23:273–278. , , , , and
- 2009b. A sex-specific test of selection in utero. Journal of Theoretical Biology257:475–479. , , , , and
- 2010a. The Health Effects of Economic Decline. Annual Review of Public Health32:431–450. , , , , , , and
- 2010b. Selection in utero: a biological response to mass layoffs. American Journal of Human Biology22:396–400. , , , and
- 1988. Estimation of time series parameters in the presence of outliers. Technometrics30:193–204. , , and
- 1991. The Evolution of Parental Care. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. .
- 1977. Termination: the Consequences of Job Loss. U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, HEW (NIOSH) Publication No. 77-224. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC. , and
- 2010. Biological functions of hCG and hCG-related molecules. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology8:102.
- 1994. Economic stress, coercive family proces, and developmental problems of adolescents. Child Development65:541–561. , , , , and
- 2009. The impact of fetal gender on first trimester nuchal translucency and maternal serum free β-hCG and PAPP-A MoM in normal and trisomy 21 pregnancies. Prenatal Diagnosis29:578–581. , , , , and
- 1999. Cost and effectiveness of the California triple marker prenatal screening program. Genetics in Medicine1:199–206. , and
- 2010. Human chorionic gonadotrophin for threatened miscarriage. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 1–22. Art. No.: CD007422. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007422.pub2. , , and
- 2007. A comparison of LMP-based and ultrasound-based estimates of gestational age using linked California livebirth and prenatal screening records. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology21:62–71. , , , , , and
- 1980. Economic change as a cause of behavioral disorder. Psychological Bulletin87:450–468. , and
- 1993. Survey evidence on excessive public pessimism about the future behavior of unemployment. Public Opinion Quarterly57:566–574. , and
- 2004. First-trimester maternal serum PAPP-A and free-beta subunit human chorionic gonadotropin concentrations and nuchal translucency are associated with obstetric complications: a population-based screening study (the FASTER Trial). American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology191:1446–1451. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Immune surveillance of the maternal/fetal interface: controversies and implications. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism7:428–434.
- 2000. About the sex ratio in connection with early embryonic mortality in man. Ontogenez31:251–257. , , , , and
- 1997. The evolutionary biology of spontaneous abortion in humans. Trends in Ecology & Evolution12:446–450. .
- 2005. A Natural History of Families. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. .
- 1998Decline in sex ratio at birth after Kobe earthquake. Human Reproduction13:2321–2322. , , , and
- 1994. Fitness of twinning. Human Biology66:699–713. , and
- 1994. Fetal plasma cortisol and beta-endorphin response to intrauterine needling. Lancet344:77–81. , , , , and
- 1999. Human fetal and maternal noradrenaline responses to invasive procedures. Pediatric Research45:494–499. , , , and
- 2001. Fetal hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal stress responses to invasive procedures are independent of maternal responses. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism86:104–109. , , , , and
- 2004. Pregnancy-associated plasma protein A, free beta-hCG, nuchal translucency, and risk of pregnancy loss. Obstetrics and Gynecology104:30–36. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. The fetal life table revisited: spontaneous abortion rates in three Kaiser Permanente cohorts. Epidemiology2:33–39. , and
- 1993. Genetic conflicts in human pregnancy. The Quarterly Review of Biology68:495–532. .
- 2002Sons reduced maternal longevity in preindustrial humans. Science296:1085. , , and .
- 2009. Evolutionary ecology of human birth sex ratio under the compound influence of climate change, famine, economic crises and wars. Journal of Animal Ecology78:1226–1233. , , and
- Human Mortality Database. 2010. University of California, Berkeley (USA) and Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (Germany) 2010 [cited 2010]. Available from Available at http://www.mortality.org or http://www.humanmortality.de.
- 2010. Second trimester serum predictors of preterm birth in a population-based sample of low-risk pregnancies. Prenatal Diagnosis30:727–733. , , and
- 2011. The association of maternal factors with delayed implantation and the initial rise of urinary human chorionic gonadotrophin. Human Reproduction26:920–926. , , , and
- 2009. Triple-marker prenatal screening program for chromosomal defects. Obstetrics and Gynecology114:50–58. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Secondary sex ratio variation during stressful times: the impact of the French revolutionary wars on a German parish (1787–1802). American Journal of Human Biology18:806–821. .
- 1987. Unemployment and health in a community sample. Journal of Health and Social Behavior28:51–59. , , and
- 2011. Early fetal growth, PAPP-A and free beta-hCG in relation to the risk of delivering a small-for-gestational age infant. Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology37:341–347. , , and .
- 1994. The impact of job insecurity on marital and family relationships. Family Relations43:138–143. , , and
- 1996. Fetal sensory competencies. European Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology68:1–23. , and
- 1985. The effects of unemployment and the business cylce on absenteeism. Journal of Economics and Business37:159–170. .
- 1988. Psychological effects of unemployment on workers and their families. Journal of Social Issues44:87–105. , and
- 1992. Forecasting and Time Series Analysis Using the SCA Statistical System. Scientific Computing Associates, Oak Brook, IL. , and
- 2001. Reproductive investment in pre-industrial humans: the consequences of offspring number, gender and survival. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London: Biological Sciences268:1977–1983. .
- 1974. Altered sex ratio after the London smog of 1952 and the Brisbane flood of 1965. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the British Commonwealth81:626–631. .
- 1996. Unemployment and consumption. Oxford Economic Papers-New Series48:584–600. , and
- 1999. Remifentanil for fetal intrauterine microendoscopic procedures. Anesthesia and Analgesia88:S257. , , , , and
- 2001. Correlations between serum assays of human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) and humanplacental lactogen (hPL) and pre-eclampsia or intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) among nulliparas younger than 38 years. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology95:59–67. , , , , , , and
- 2009. ‘It knocked this city to its knees’: the closure of Pillowtex Mills in Kannapolis, North Carolina and the decline of the US textile industry. Labor History50:287–311. .
- 1997. Developmental selection against developmentally unstable offspring and sexual selection. Journal of Theoretical Biology185:415–422. .
- 2004. Fetal endoscopic surgery: indications and anaesthetic management. Best Practices & Research in Clinical Anaesthesiology18:231–258. , , , and
- 2008. The great opportunity: evolutionary applications to medicine and public health. Evolutionary Applications1:28–48. , and
- 2007. Assessing the quality of last menstrual period date on California birth records. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology21:50–61. , , and
- 2010. Infant sex predicts breast milk energy content. American Journal Human Biology22:50–54. , , and
- 1991. Stress transmission: the effects of husbands’ job stressors on the emotional health of their wives. Journal of Marriage and the Family53:165–177. , , and
- 2008. Decline in sex ratio at birth after Bam (Kerman Province, Southern Iran) earthquake. Journal of Biosocial Science40:935–937. .
- 2011. Chorionic gonadotrophin regulates CXCR4 expression in human endometrium via E-series prostanoid receptor 2 signalling to PI3K-ERK1/2: implications for fetal-maternal crosstalk for embryo implantation. Molecular Human Reproduction1:22–32. , , , and .
- 1987. The selection-arena hypothesis. In S. C. Stearns, ed. The Evolution of Sex and its Consequences, pp. 337–386. Birkhauser Verlag, Basel.
- 2003. Acute undernutrition is not associated with excess of females in humans: the Dutch Hunger Winter. Proceedings of the Royal Society B Biological Sciences271:S138–S141. , , and
- 1973. Natural selection of parental ability to vary sex ratio of offspring. Science179:90–92. , and
- Unites States Department of Labor. Mass Layoffs Statistics. 2011. http://www.bls.gov/mls/#data (accessed on 16 May, 2011).
- 2003. Maternal-conceptus cross talk: a review. Placenta S56–S61. , , , and .
- 1996. Hard times and hurtful partners: how financial strain affects depression and relationship satisfaction of unemployed persons and their spouses. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology71:166–179. , , and
- 2000. Natural selection and sex differences in morbidity and mortality in early life. Journal of Theoretical Biology202:65–76. .
- 1999. Time of implantation of the conceptus and loss of pregnancy. New England Journal of Medicine340:1796–1799. , , and
- 2001. Effect of fetal gender on first trimester markers and on Down syndrome screening. Prenatal Diagnosis21:1027–1030. , , , , , and