Incorporating deep and shallow components of genetic structure into the management of Alaskan red king crab
Version of Record online: 12 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 8, pages 820–837, December 2012
How to Cite
Grant, W. S. and Cheng, W. (2012), Incorporating deep and shallow components of genetic structure into the management of Alaskan red king crab. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 820–837. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00260.x
- Issue online: 24 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 12 APR 2012
- Received: 26 September 2011 Accepted: 6 March 2012 First published online: XX Xxxxx 20XX
- AKCRRAB. 2011. Alaska King Crab Research, Rehabilitation and Biology Program (AKCRRAB). http://seagrant.uaf.edu/research/projects/initiatives/king_crab/general .
- 2010. Permanent genetic resources added to Molecular Ecology Resources database 1 October 2009–30 November 2009. Molecular Ecology Resources10:404–408. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Estimating divergence times from molecular data on phylogenetic and population genetic timescales. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics33:707–740. , , , , and .
- 2000. Phylogeography: The History and Formation of Species. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 2002. Larval distribution of offshore spawning flatfish in the Gulf of Alaska: potential transport pathways and enhanced onshore transport during ENSO events. Marine Ecology Progress Series236:205–217. , and .
- 1999. Population structure and dynamics of walleye pollock, Theragra chalcogramma. Advances in Marine Biology37:179–255. , , , and .
- 2000. Estimating allozyme genetic variability in red king crab Paralithodes camtschaticus Tilesius. Russian Journal of Genetics36:860–866. , and .
- 1999. Late Quaternary glaciation and postglacial stratigraphy of the northern Pacific margin of Canada. Quaternary Research51:113–123. , and .
- 2009. Reconstruction of historical abundance and recruitment of red king crab during 1960–2004 around Kodiak, Alaska. Fisheries Research100:86–98. , and .
- 1977. Distribution and abundance of juvenile halibut in the southeastern Bering Sea. International Pacific Halibut Commission, Scientific Report62:1–23.
- 2011. Gone with the currents: lack of genetics differentiation at the circum-continental scale in the Antarctic krill Euphausia superb. BMC Genetics12:32. , , , , and .
- 2008. Global patterns in marine dispersal estimates: the influence of geography, taxonomic category and life history. Proceedings of the Royal Society B275:1803–1809. , , , , and .
- 2001. New perspectives on Beringian Quaternary paleogeography, stratigraphy, and glacial history. Quaternary Science Reviews20:15–24.
- 1997. North American black bear mtDNA phylogeography: implications for morphology and the Haida Gwaii glacial refugium controversy. Evolution51:1647–1653. , , and .
- 1962. The occurrence of the king crab, Paralithodes camtschatica (Tilesius), and of Lithodes aequispina Benedict in British Columbia. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada19:401–408. , and .
- 2010. Multiple ice-age refugia in Pacific cod, Gadus macrocephalus. Molecular Ecology19:4339–4351. , , , , and .
- 2008. Intraspecific phylogeographic genomics from multiple complete mtDNA genomes in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua): origins of the “codmother,” transatlantic vicariance and midglacial population expansion. Genetics180:381–389. , and .
- 2003. Estimation of red king crab (Paralithodes camtschaticus) abundances and available harvest in Southeast Alaska for the 2001/2002 season using a pot survey. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Regional Information Report 1J03–25. 75 p. , , , , and .
- 2002. TCS: a computer program to estimate gene genealogies. Molecular Ecology9:1657–1659. , , and .
- 2009. Larval dispersal and marine population connectivity. Annual Reviews in Marine Sciences1:443–466. , and .
- 2012. Expansion dating: calibrating molecular clocks in marine species from expansions onto the Sunda Shelf following the Last Glacial Maximum. Molecular Biology and Evolution29:707–719. , , , , and .
- 1990. Behavioral ecology of podding red king crab, Paralithodes camtschatica. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences47:1944–1958.
- 2005. Did trawling on the brood stock contribute to the collapse of Alaska’s king crab?Ecological Applications15:919–941. , and .
- 2010. Genetic structure of Carcinus maenas within its native range: larval dispersal and oceanographic variability. Marine Ecology Progress Series410:111–123. , , , , and .
- 2007. BEAST: Bayesian evolutionary analysis by sampling trees. BMC Evolutionary Biology7:214. , and .
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics1:47–50. , , and .
- 2005. Southeastern Chukchi Sea (Alaska) epibenthos. Polar Biology28:402–421. , , and .
- 1994. DNA primers for amplification of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase subunit I from diverse metazoan invertebrates. Molecular Marine Biology and Biotechnology3:294–299. , , , , and .
- 2007. Ecology of reproduction of the red king crab. Russian Journal of Ecology38:112–118.
- 1998. Shallow population histories in deep evolutionary lineages in marine fishes: insights from sardines and anchovies and lessons for conservation. Journal of Heredity89:415–426. , and .
- 1984. Biochemical population genetics of Pacific herring (Clupea pallasii). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences41:856–864. , and .
- 2011. Low allozyme heterozygosity in North Pacific and Bering Sea populations of red king crab (Paralithodes camtschaticus): adaptive specialization, population bottleneck, or metapopulation structure?ICES Journal of Marine Science68:499–506. , , , and .
- 2006. Temperate rocky reef fishes. In P. F. Sale, and J. P. Kritzer, eds. Marine Metapopulations, pp. 69–117. Academic Press, San Deigo, CA, 544 p. , and .
- 2009. Global bottlenecks in the distribution of marine Crustacea: temperature constraints in the family Lithodidae. Journal of Biogeography36:2125–2135. , and .
- 2002. Loss of microsatellite diversity and low effective size in an overexploited population of New Zealand snapper (Pagrus auratus). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America99:11742–11747. , , , , and .
- 1997. Genetic effective size of a metapopulation. In I. Hanski, and M. E. Gilpin, eds. Metapopulation Biology: Ecology, Genetics, and Evolution, pp. 165–181. Academic Press, San Diego, 512 pp. , and .
- 2002. Coupling global and regional circulation models in the coastal Gulf of Alaska. Progress in Oceanography53:335–367. , , , and .
- 2000. The genetic legacy of the Quaternary ice ages. Nature405:907–913.
- 2008. The effect of inappropriate calibration: three case studies in molecular ecology. PLoS One3:e1615. , , , , and .
- 2011. Time-dependent rates of molecular evolution. Molecular Ecology20:3087–3101. , , , , , , and .
- 1972. The paleogeography and climatic history of Beringia during late Cenozoic time. Inter-Nord12:121–150.
- 2005. Oceanography and ecology of the Aleutian Archipelago: spatial and temporal variation. Fisheries Oceanography14(Suppl. 1):292–306. , and .
- 2007. Millennial-scale fluctuations in seasonal sea-ice and deep-water formation in the Japan Sea during the late Quaternary. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology247:131–143. , and .
- 1984. The orbital theory of Pleistocene climate: support from a revised chronology of the marine δ18O record. In A. L. Berger, J. Imbrie, J. D. Hayes, G. J. Kukla, and B. Saltzman, eds. Milankovitch and Climate, Part 1, pp. 269–305. Reidel Publishing, Boston, MA, 269 p. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The genetic variability of red king crab, Paralithodes camtschatica (Tilesius, 1915) (Anomura, Lithodidae) introduced into the Barents Sea compared with samples from the Bering Sea and Kamchatka Region using eleven microsatellite loci. Hydrobiologia590:115–121. , , , and .
- 2007. Orbital and millennial Antarctic climate variability over the past 800,000 years. Science317:793–796. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Counting alleles with rarefaction: private alleles and hierarchical sampling designs. Conservation Genetics5:539–543.
- 2005. HP-Rare: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic diversity. Molecular Ecology Notes5:187–189.
- Karlstrom, T. N. V., and G. E. Ball, eds 1969. The Kodiak Island Refugium: Geology, Flora, Fauna and History. Ryerson Press, Toronto, 262 p.
- 2005. Diatoms as paleoenvironmental proxies for seasonal productivity, sea-ice and surface circulation in the Bering Sea during the late Quaternary. Deep Sea Research II52:2110–2130. , and .
- 2009. Pleistocene glaciations events shape genetic structure across the range of the American lobster, Homarus americanus. Molecular Ecology18:1654–1667. , , , and .
- 2007. Long-term change: crabs and shrimps. In R. B. Spies, ed. Long-Term Ecological Change in the Northern Gulf of Alaska, pp. 378–394. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- 2011. Effects of Pleistocene climatic fluctuations on the phylogeographic and demographic histories of Pacific herring (Clupea pallasii). Molecular Ecology20:3879–3893. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Mesquite: A Modular System for Evolutionary Analysis. Version 2.74. http://mesquiteproject.org . , and .
- 1995. Late Pleistocene and Holocene paleoenvironments of the North Pacific coast. Quaternary Science Reviews14:449–471. , and .
- 2002. The Pacific Decadal Oscillation. Journal of Oceanography58:35–44. , and .
- 1933. Biological and fishery research on Japanese king crab Paralithodes camtschatica (Tilesius). Journal of the Imperial Fishery Experimental Station, Tokyo4:1–152.
- 2004. Mitochondrial DNA variation and population genetic structure of the blue crab Callinectes sapidus in the eastern United States. Marine Biology145:769–777. , and .
- 1999. Rapid climate oscillations in the Northeast Pacific during the last deglaciation reflect Northern and Southern Hemisphere sources. American Geophysical Union, Geophysical Monograph112:127–148. , , , , , , and .
- 1993. Mitochondrial DNA in Gasterosteus and Pleistocene glacial refugium on the Queen Charlotte Islands, British Columbia. Evolution47:678–684. , , , and .
- 1998. Crustacean resources are vulnerable to serial depletion—the multifaceted decline of crab and shrimp fisheries in the Greater Gulf of Alaska. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries8:117–176. , , , and .
- 1986. Management and assessment of eastern Bering Sea king crab stocks. . In G. S. Jamieson, and M. Bourne, eds. Pacific workshop on stock assessment and management of invertebrates. Canadian Special Publications on Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences92:83–106.
- 2010. Red king crab (Paralithodes camtschaticus) early post-settlement habitat choice: structure, food, and ontogeny. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology393:130–137. , and .
- 2008. jModelTest: phylogenetic model averaging. Molecular Biology and Evolution25:1253–1256.
- 2003. Intra-deme molecular diversity in spatially expanding populations. Molecular Biology and Evolution20:76–86. , , and .
- 1992. Population growth makes waves in the distribution of pairwise genetic differences. Molecular Biology and Evolution9:552–569. , and .
- 2004. A global invader at home: population structure of the green crab, Carcinus maenas, in Europe. Molecular Ecology13:2891–2898. , and .
- 2008. GENEPOP 2007: a complete reimplementation of the GENEPOP software for Windows and Linux. Molecular Ecology Resources8:103–106.
- 2008. Climate control on ancestral population dynamics: insight from Patagonian fish phylogeography. Molecular Ecology17:2234–2244. , , , , , , and .
- 1991. Effects of supportive breeding on the genetically effective population size. Conservation Biology5:325–329. , and .
- 2006. PowSim–a computer program for assessing statistical power when testing for genetic differentiation. Molecular Ecology Notes6:600–602. , and .
- SAFE Plan Team. 2010. Stock Assessment and Fishery Evaluation Report for the King and Tanner Crab Fisheries of the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands Regions, 659 p. North Pacific Fishery Management Council, Anchorage, AK.
- 1989. Molecular Cloning, a Laboratory Manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY. , , and .
- 1958. Studies on larval development and fishery biology of king crab, Paralithodes camtschatica (Tilesius). Bulletin of the Hokkaido Regional Fisheries Research Laboratory17:1–103. [In Japanese; English translation E. H. Ozaki, Biological Laboratory, Bureau of Commercial Fisheries, Seattle, WA]
- 1990. Genetic structure of red king crab populations in Alaska facilitates enforcement of fishing regulations. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on King and Tanner Crabs, pp. 491–502. Alaska Sea Grant College Program Report, 90-04. , , , and .
- 2011. Marine connectivity: a new look at pelagic larval duration and genetic metrics of dispersal. Marine Ecology Progress Series436:291–305. , and .
- 1989a. Interannual variability in density, timing and survival of Alaskan red king crab Paralithodes camtschatica larvae. Marine Ecology Progress Series54:51–59. , and .
- 1989b. Temperature and salinity tolerances and preferences of red king crab larvae. Marine Behaviour and Physiology16:19–30. , and .
- 2008. Genetic variation of the spine spider crab Maja brachydactyla in the northeastern Atlantic. Marine Ecology Progress Series362:211–223. , , , and .
- 2001. On the temporal variability of the physical environment over the south-eastern Bering Sea. Fisheries Oceanography10:81–98. , , , , and .
- 2004. Mitochondrial DNA variation in Northeast Atlantic and Mediterranean populations of Norway lobster, Neprops norvegicus. Molecular Ecology13:1377–1390. , , , and .
- 1992. Seasonal migration and distribution of female red king crabs in a Southeast Alaskan estuary. Journal of Crustacean Biology12:546–560. , , and .
- 1989. Recent studies of Pacific halibut postlarvae in the Gulf of Alaska and eastern Bering Sea. International Pacific Halibut Commission, Scientific Report73:1–17 + 2 appendages.
- 1989. Statistical method for testing the neutral mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphism. Genetics123:585–595.
- 1993. Estimation of the number of nucleotide substitutions in the control region of mitochondrial DNA in humans and chimpanzees. Molecular Biology and Evolution10:512–526. , and .
- 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Molecular Biology and Evolution28:2735–2739. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Mitochondrial DNA panmixia in spiny lobster Palinurus gilchristi suggests a population expansion. Marine Ecology Progress Series297:225–231. , , , and .
- 2005. Mitochondrial DNA variation in the European lobster (Homarus gammarus) throughout the range. Marine Biology146:223–235. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Separating the wheat from the chaff: patterns of genetic differentiation in high gene flow species. Journal of Heredity89:438–450.
- 2006. What is a population? An empirical evaluation of some genetic methods for identifying the number of gene pools and their degree of connectivity. Molecular Ecology15:1519–1539. , and .
- 2008. Integrating genetic data into management of marine resources: how can we do it better?Fish and Fisheries9:423–449. , , and .
- 1982. Ice-free conditions on the Queen Charlotte Islands, British Columbia, at the height of Late Wisconsin Glaciation. Science218:675–677. , , and .
- 2011. Competitive exclusion: phylogeography’s ‘elephant in the room’?Molecular Ecology20:4388–4394.
- 2007. Compatible genetic and ecological estimates of dispersal rates in insect (Coenagrion mercuriale: Odonata: Zygoptera) populations: analysis of ‘neighbourhood size’ using a more precise estimator. Molecular Ecology16:737–751. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Southeast Alaska: oceanographic habitats and linkages. Journal of Biogeography36:387–400. , , , and .
- 2008. Red king crab (Paralithodes camtschaticus) in the Barents Sea: a comparative study of introduced and native populations. Russian Journal of Genetics44:859–991. , , , and .
- 2000. Recruitment patterns of Alaskan crabs in relation to decadal shifts in climate and physical oceanography. ICES Journal of Marine Science57:438–451. , and .
- 2006. Recruitment variation of eastern Bering Sea crabs: climate forcing or top-down effects?Progress in Oceanography68:184–204. , and .