Mutualism effectiveness and vertical transmission of symbiotic fungal endophytes in response to host genetic background
Article first published online: 12 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 8, pages 838–849, December 2012
How to Cite
Gundel, P. E., Martínez-Ghersa, M. A., Omacini, M., Cuyeu, R., Pagano, E., Ríos, R. and Ghersa, C. M. (2012), Mutualism effectiveness and vertical transmission of symbiotic fungal endophytes in response to host genetic background. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 838–849. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00261.x
- Issue published online: 24 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 12 APR 2012
- Received: 25 February 2012 Accepted: 6 March 2012 First published online: XX Xxxxx 20XX
- 2003. Genetic structure of natural populations of the grass endophyte Epichloë festucae in semiarid grasslands. Molecular ecology11:355–364. , , , and .
- 1994. Stains, media, and procedures for analyzing endophytes. In C. W. Bacon, and J. F. White Jr, eds. Biotechnology of Endophytic Fungi of Grasses, pp. 47–56. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 1992. Mechanism of inheritance of diclofop resistance in Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum). Weed Science40:184–189. , , , , and .
- 2003. Molecular evidence for host-adapted races of the fungal endophyte Epichloë bromicola after presumed host shifts. Evolution57:37–51. , and .
- 2007. Costs of fungal endophyte infection in Lolium perenne genotypes from Eurasia and North Africa under extreme resource limitation. Environmental and Experimental Botany60:202–210.
- 1995. Variation in the ability of Acremonium endophytes of Lolium perenne, Festuca arundinacea and F. pratensis to form compatible associations in the three grasses. Mycological Research99:466–470.
- 2002. Evolutionary origins and ecological consequences of endophyte symbiosis with grasses. The American Naturalist160:S99–S127. , and .
- 2007. The R Book. John Wiley and Sons Ltd, West Sussex, UK.
- 2007. Population size and relatedness affect fitness of a self-incompatible invasive plant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America104:549–552. , , , and .
- 2000. Hybridization as a stimulus for the evolution of invasiveness in plants?Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America97:7043–7050. , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from genetic distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics131:479–491. , , and .
- 2002. Are endophytic fungi defensive plant mutualists?Oikos98:25–36.
- 2001. Effects of habitat fragmentation on choke disease (Epichloë bromicola) in the grass Bromus erectus. Journal of Ecology89:247–255. , , , , and .
- 2008. Neotyphodium endophyte infection frequency in annual grass populations: relative importance of mutualism and transmission efficiency. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B275:897–905. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Imperfect vertical transmission of the endophyte Neotyphodium in exotic grasses in grasslands of the Flooding Pampa. Microbial Ecology57:740–748. , , , , , and .
- 2010. The interplay between the effectiveness of the grass-endophyte mutualism and the genetic variability of the host plant in an agronomic context. Evolutionary Applications3:538–546. , , , and .
- 2010. Hybridization in endophyte symbionts alters host response to moisture and nutrient treatments. Microbial Ecology59:768–775. , , and .
- 1999. The evolution of mutualisms: exploring the paths between conflict and cooperation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution14:49–53. , , , and .
- 2003. Effects of Neotyphodium endophytes on growth, reproduction and drought-stress tolerance of three Lolium perenne L. genotypes. Grass and Forage Science58:407–415. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Neotyphodium coenophialum mycelial protein and herbage mass effects on ergot alkaloid concentration in tall fescue. Journal of Chemical Ecology23:2721–2736. , and .
- 1997. Functioning of mycorrhizal associations along the mutualism-parasitism continuum. New Phytologist135:575–585. , , and .
- 2000. Cross species inoculation of Chewings and Creeping Fescues with fungal endophytes. Crop Science40:1485–1489. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Mutualisms in a changing world: an evolutionary perspective. Ecology Letters13:1459–1474. , , , , and .
- 2004. Herbicide selection of Italian ryegrass under different levels of UVB radiation. Journal of Environmental Quality33:1376–1386. , , , , and .
- 2000. The evolutionary origins of Epichloë endophytes from annual ryegrasses. Mycologia92:1103–1118. , , , and .
- 2001. Symbiotic fungal endophytes control insect host-parasite interaction webs. Nature409:78–81. , , , and .
- 2009. A fungal endosymbiont affects host plant recruitment through seed- and litter-mediated mechanisms. Functional Ecology23:1148–1156. , , , and .
- 2005. Specificity of host-endophyte association in tall fescue populations from Sardinia, Italy. Crop Science45:1456–1463. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Herbicide Resistance in Plants: Biology and Biochemistry. CRC Lewis Publishers, New York, NY. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, R version 2.14.0, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, http://www.R-project.org/ (accessed on 13 October 2011).
- 2007. Ecology of Weeds and Invasive Plants: Relationship to Agriculture and Natural Resource Management, 3rd Edn. John Wiley and Sons Inc, Hoboken, NJ. , , and .
- 2007. High nitrogen supply and carbohydrate content reduce fungal endophyte and alkaloid concentration in Lolium perenne. New Phytologist173:787–797. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Cultivar and environment effects on annual ryegrass forage yield, yield distribution, and nutritive value. Crop Science42:2049–2054. , , , , and .
- 1998. NTSYS-pc: Numerical Taxonomy and Multivariate Analysis System. Version 2.01. Exeter Software, Setauket, NY.
- 2009. A fungus among us: broad patterns of endophyte distribution in the grasses. Ecology90:1531–1539. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Evolution of endophyte-plant symbioses. Trends in Plant Science9:275–280. , , , and .
- 2010. Genetic compatibility determines endophyte-grass combinations. PLoS ONE5:e11395. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0011395. , , and .
- 2010. The Epichloae, symbionts of the grass subfamily Poöideae. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden97:646–665.
- 2007. Fungal endophytes in grasses: hybrids rescued by vertical transmission?An evolutionary perspective New Phytologist173:452–458. , and .
- 1984. A fungal endophyte of tall fescue: incidence and dissemination. Phytopathology74:932–937. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Gene flow in the endophyte Neotyphodium and implications for coevolution with Festuca arizonica. Molecular Ecology13:649–656. , and .
- 1993. Analyses of selected endophyte-infected grasses for the presence of Loline-type and Ergot-type alkaloids. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry41:2299–2303. , , and .
- 2005. The Geographic Mosaic of Coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 2007. Coevolution of symbiotic mutualists and parasites in a community context. Trends in Ecology and Evolution22:120–126. , , , and .
- 2003. Evolution of herbicide resistance in weeds: vertically transmitted fungal endophytes as genetic entities. Evolutionary Ecology17:441–456. , , and .
- 2005. Fungal endophyte infection changes growth attributes in Lolium multiflorum Lam. Austral Ecology30:49–57. , , and .
- 2007. Occurrence and genetic structure of the systemic grass endophyte Epichloë festucae in fine fescue populations. Microbial Ecology53:20–29. , , , and .
- 2010. Is plant endophyte-mediated defensive mutualism the result of oxidative stress protection?Physiologia Plantarum138:440–446. , and .
- 2008. Global genetic diversity of the perennial ryegrass fungal endophyte Neotyphodium lolii. Crop Science48:1487–1501. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Analyzing Ecological Data. Springer, New York, NY. , , and .