Evolution of root plasticity responses to variation in soil nutrient distribution and concentration
Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 8, pages 850–857, December 2012
How to Cite
Grossman, J. D. and Rice, K. J. (2012), Evolution of root plasticity responses to variation in soil nutrient distribution and concentration. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 850–857. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00263.x
- Issue online: 24 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2012
- Received: 13 February 2012 Accepted: 6 March 2012
- 2003. Contribution of relative growth rate to root foraging by annual and perennial grasses from California oak woodlands. Oecologia136:424–430. , , and
- 2002. Phosphorus sources and availability modify growth and distribution of root clusters and nodules of native Australian legumes. Plant Cell and Environment25:837–850. , , and
- 2000. On the origin and domestication history of barley (Hordeum vulgare). Molecular Biology and Evolution17:499–510. , , , , , , et al.
- 1967. Genetic variation and phenotypic plasticity of roots in two cultivated species of jute (Corchorus olitorus L. and C. capsularis L.). Biologia plantarum9:292–300. , and
- 2005. Soil phosphorus variability: scale-dependence in an urbanizing agricultural landscape. Landscape Ecology20:389–400. , , and
- 2005. Nitrogen supply affects root: shoot ratio in corn and velvetleaf (Abutilon theophrasti). Weed Science53:670–675. , , , and
- 2000. Sample preparation and scanning protocol for computerised analysis of root length and diameter. Plant and Soil218:185–196. , , and
- 2000. A methodological study on participatory barley breeding – I. Selection phase. Euphytica111:91–104. , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Soils: An Introduction to Soils and Plant Growth, 5th edn. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ. , , and
- 1975. Comparison of effects of a localized supply of phosphate, nitrate, ammonium and potassium on growth of seminal root system, and shoot, in barley. New Phytologist75:479–490.
- 2005. Identification of quantitative trait loci that regulate Arabidopsis root system size and plasticity. Genetics172:485–498. , , , , , and
- 2002. Local and long-range signaling pathways regulating plant responses to nitrate. Annual Review of Plant Biology53:203–224.
- 2001. Soil nutrient heterogeneity alters competition between two perennial grass species. Ecology82:2534–2546. , , and
- 1995. Seminal root morphology and coleoptile length in wild (Hordeum vulgare ssp spontaneum) and cultivated (Hordeum vulgare ssp vulgare) barley. Euphytica86:73–80. , and
- 2003. Localized supply of phosphorus induces root morphological and architectural changes of rice in split and stratified soil cultures. Plant and Soil248:247–256. , , and
- 2004. Estimating length, average diameter and surface area of roots using two different image analyses systems. Plant and Soil260:111–120. , , and
- 2004. The plastic plant: root responses to heterogeneous supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist162:9–24.
- 2006. Plastic plants and patchy soils. Journal of Experimental Botany57:401–411.
- 2002. The use of stable isotope in soil fertility research. In K. R. Krishna, ed. Soil Fertility and Crop Production, pp. 313–317. Science Publishers, Enfield, NH, Original edition.
- 1990. Root distribution in relation to soil-nitrogen availability in field-grown tomatoes. Plant and Soil128:115–126. , and
- 1993. Geostatistical patterns of soil heterogeneity around individual perennial plants. Journal of Ecology81:683–692. , and
- 2005. Contrasting phosphate acquisition of mycorrhizal fungi with that of root hairs using the root hairless barley mutant. Plant Cell and Environment28:928–938. , , , , and
- 2008. Phosphorus acquisition and wheat growth are influenced by shoot phosphorus status and soil phosphorus distribution in a split-root system. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science171:266–271. , and
- 2007. Amount or pattern? Grassland responses to the heterogeneity and availability of two key resources. Ecology88:501–511. , and
- 1995. Comparison of restriction-fragment-length-polymorphisms in wild and cultivated barley. Genome38:298–306. , , and
- 2007. Consistency between an allometric approach and optimal partitioning theory in global patterns of plant biomass allocation. Functional Ecology21:713–720. , and
- 2005. Ecological consequences of phenotypic plasticity. Trends in Ecology & Evolution20:685–692. , , , , and
- 2005. Applicability and limitations of optimal biomass allocation models: a test of two species from fertile and infertile habitats. Annals of Botany95:1211–1220. , and
- 2000. Genetic diversity of barley landrace accessions (Hordeum vulgare ssp vulgare) conserved for different lengths of time in ex situ gene banks. Heredity84:476–486. , , and
- 2000. The effect of cultivation on the spatial variability of selected properties of an umbric horizon. Geoderma97:273–292. , , and
- 2007. Root foraging traits and competitive ability in heterogeneous soils. Oecologia153:145–152.
- 1996. The ecological significance of plasticity in root weight ratio in response to nitrogen: opinion. Plant and Soil185:75–97. , and
- 2001. Root gravitropism and below-ground competition among neighbouring plants: a modelling approach. Annals of Botany88:929–940. , , , , , and
- 2003. Arbuscular mycorrhizal dependency of different plant species and cultivars. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition49:655–668.
- 2005. Soils and Soil Fertility, 6th edn. Blackwell Pub, Ames, Iowa. , and
- 2007. Comparative assessment of EST-SSR, EST-SNP and AFLP markers for evaluation of genetic diversity and conservation of genetic resources using wild, cultivated and elite barleys. Plant Science173:638–649. , , , , and
- 2007. From crop domestication to super-domestication. Annals of Botany100:893–901. , , and
- 2002. Trends in biomass fractionation in wheat and barley from wild ancestors to modern cultivars. Plant Biology4:258–265. , , and
- 2006. Root development and nutrient uptake. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences25:279–301. , , and
- 1951. On the comparison of several mean values: an alternative approach. Biometrika38:330–336.
- 1988. Russell’s Soil Conditions and Plant Growth. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- 1960. On competition. Verslagen van landbouwkundige onderzoekingen66:1–82.