Post-introduction evolution in the biological control agent Longitarsus jacobaeae (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae)
Article first published online: 3 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 8, pages 858–868, December 2012
How to Cite
Szűcs, M., Schaffner, U., Price, W. J. and Schwarzländer, M. (2012), Post-introduction evolution in the biological control agent Longitarsus jacobaeae (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). Evolutionary Applications, 5: 858–868. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00264.x
- Issue published online: 24 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 3 MAY 2012
- Received: 13 March 2012 Accepted: 20 March 2012
- 1996. The effect of flexible growth rates on optimal sizes and development times in a seasonal environment. The American Naturalist147:381–395. , , , and .
- 2012. Evolution of critical day length for diapause induction enables range expansion of Diorhabda carinulata, a biological control agent against tamarisk (Tamarix spp.). Evolutionary Applications (In press). , , and .
- 2004. Grasshopper populations across 2000 m of altitude: is there life history adaptation?Ecography27:733–740. , , and .
- 2004. Bergmann and converse Bergmann latitudinal clines in arthropods: two ends of a continuum?Integrative and Comparative Biology44:413–424. , and .
- 1995. Life history adaptation along a latitudinal cline in the water strider Aquarius remigis (Heteroptera: Gerridae). Journal of Evolutionary Biology8:21–41. , and .
- 2005. Phenotypic and genetic differentiation between native and introduced plant populations. Oecologia144:1–11. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Genetic and demographic parameters determining population persistence after a discrete change in the environment. Heredity86:313–324. , and .
- 2008. Genetic response to rapid climate change: it’s seasonal timing that matters. Molecular Ecology17:157–166. , and .
- 2010. Evolutionary constraints on adaptive evolution during range expansion in an invasive plant. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences277:1799–1806. , , and .
- 2004. Alien Species and Evolution: The Evolutionary Ecology of Exotic Plants, Animals, Microbes, and Interacting Native Species. Island Press, Washington DC.
- 1987. Insect dormancy: an ecological perspective. Biological survey of Canada Monograph series No. 1.
- 1990. Altitudinal variation in life cycle syndromes of California populations of the grasshopper, Melanoplus sanguinipes (F.). Oecologia84:199–206. , , and .
- 2008. Founding events in species invasions: genetic variation, adaptive evolution, and the role of multiple introductions. Molecular Ecology17:431–449. , and .
- 1970. Ragwort flea beetle established for biological control of tansy ragwort in northern California. California Agriculture24:12–13.
- 1971. Longitarsus jacobaeae (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae), a flea beetle for the biological control of tansy ragwort. II. Life history of a Swiss biotype. Annals of the Entomological Society of America64:834–840.
- 1972. Longitarsus jacobaeae (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae), a flea beetle for the biological control of tansy ragwort. 3. Comparison of the biologies of the egg stage of Swiss and Italian biotypes. Annals of the Entomological Society of America65:406–410. , and .
- 1973. Longitarsus jacobaeae (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae), a flea beetle for the biological control of tansy ragwort. 4. Life history and adult aestivation of an Italian biotype. Annals of the Entomological Society of America66:358–367. , and .
- 2007. The multifarious effects of dispersal and gene flow on contemporary adaptation. Functional Ecology21:434–443. , , and .
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology17:167–178. , , , , and .
- 1999. The effects of density dependence and immigration on local adaptation and niche evolution in a black-hole sink environment. Theoretical Population Biology55:283–296. , , and .
- 2011. Ecological genetics of invasive alien species. BioControl56:409–428. , , , , , , et al.
- 1984. Current approaches to biological control of weeds. In J. S. Kelleher, and M. A. Hulme, eds. Biological Control Programmes against Insects and Weeds in Canada 1969–1980, pp. 95–99. CAB, International, Wallingford, UK.
- 1980. Biological control of tansy ragwort in the state of Oregon, USA. In E. S. Delfosse, ed. Proceedings of the V International Symposium on Biological Control of Weeds, pp. 623–626. CSIRO, Brisbane, Qld, Australia.
- 2011. Reevaluating and broadening the definition of genetic rescue. Conservation Biology25:1069–1070. , , and .
- 2001. An introduction to microevolution: rate, pattern, process. Genetica112–113:1–8. , and .
- 2011. Evolutionary principles and their practical application. Evolutionary Applications4:159–183. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. The American Naturalist173:579–588.
- 1997. How does immigration influence local adaptation? A reexamination of a familiar paradigm. The American Naturalist149:563–572. , and .
- 2002. Evidence for nonadaptive evolution in parasitoid virulence following a biological control introduction. Ecological Applications12:66–78.
- 2005. Microevolution in biological control: mechanisms, patterns, and processes. Biological Control35:227–239. , and .
- 1978. The role of biological agents in integrated control of tansy ragwort. In T. E. Freeman, ed. Proceedings of the IV International Symposium on Biological Control of Weeds, pp. 189–192. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
- 1998. Biological Control of Weeds. A World Catalogue of Agents and their Target Weeds. CAB International, Oxon, UK. , and , eds.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution7:1225–1241. , and .
- 2001. The pace of modern life II: from rates of contemporary microevolution to pattern and process. Genetica112–113:145–164. , and .
- 2004. How interactions between ecology and evolution influence contemporary invasion dynamics. Ecology85:2061–2070.
- 2002. Evolutionary genetics of invasive species. Trends in Ecology and Evolution17:386–391.
- 2008. The release and establishment of the tansy ragwort flea beetle in the Northern Rocky Mountains of Montana. In M. H. Julien, R. Sforza, M. C. Bon, H. C. Evans, P. E. Hatcher, H. L. Hinz, and B. G. Rector, eds. Proceedings of the XII International Symposium on Biological Control of Weeds, pp. 573–576. CAB International, Wallingford, UK. , , , and .
- 2004. Rapid evolution of an invasive plant. Ecological Monographs74:261–280. , , , , and .
- 1991. Successful biological control of ragwort, Senecio jacobaea, by introduced insects in Oregon. Ecological Applications1:430–442. , , and .
- 2012. Evolving while invading: rapid genetic divergence in juvenile development time for a biological control organism colonizing a high-elevation environment. Evolutionary Applications (In press). , , , and .
- 1991. Maternal effects in insect life histories. Annual Review of Entomology36:511–534. , and .
- 1982. Ecology and evolution of the Opuntia-Cactoblastis ecosystem in Australia. In J. S. F. Barker, and W. T. Starmer, eds. Ecological Genetics and Evolution. The Cactus-Yeast-Drosophila Model System, pp. 17–30. Academic Press, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- 1980. Genetic and phenotypic variability, genetic variance, and the success of establishment of insect introductions for the biological control of weeds. In E. S. Delfosse, ed. Proceedings of the V International Symposium on Biological Control of Weeds, Brisbane, Australia, pp. 91–102. CSIRO, Melbourne, Vic., Australia. , and .
- 1996. Life-history adaptation and reproductive isolation in a grasshopper hybrid zone. Evolution50:704–716.
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics37:637–669.
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature421:37–42. , and .
- 2008. East meets west: adaptive evolution of an insect introduced for biological control. Journal of Applied Ecology45:948–956. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Field and laboratory observations of the life history of the Swiss biotype of Longitarsus jacobaeae (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). In M. H. Julien, R. Sforza, M. C. Bon, H. C. Evans, P. E. H. Hatcher, H. L. Hinz, and B. G. Rector, eds. Proceedings of the XII International Symposium on Biological Control of Weeds, pp. 200–205. CAB International, Wallingford, UK. , , , and .
- 2002. Maternal effects and the evolution of behavioral and morphological characters: a literature review indicates the importance of extended maternal care. Journal of Heredity93:400–405.
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptations: what empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica112:183–198. , and .
- 2003. Genes in new environments: genetics and evolution in biological control. Nature Reviews Genetics4:889–899. , and .
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA, USA.
- 2003. Fingerprints of global warming on wild animals and plants. Nature421:57–60. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Size and shape: the developmental regulation of static allometry in insects. BioEssays29:536–548. , , , , and .
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution18:94–101. , , and .
- 2011. Reevaluating establishment and potential hybridization of different biotypes of the biological control agent Longitarsus jacobaeae using molecular tools. Biological Control58:44–52. , , and .
- 2012. Hybrid vigor in the biological control agent, Longitarsus jacobaeae. Evolutionary Applications (In press). , , , and .
- 2004. The alluring simplicity and complex reality of genetic rescue. Trends in Ecology & Evolution19:489–496. , , and .
- 1986. Seasonal Adaptations of Insects. Oxford University Press, New York. , , and .
- 2008. Rapid evolution in introduced species, ‘invasive traits’ and recipient communities: challenges for predicting invasive potential. Diversity Distributions14:569–580. , and .
- 1991. Life cycle and abundance of Longitarsus jacobaeae (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae), biocontrol agent of Senecio jacobaea. Entomophaga36:605–618.