Characterizing the physical and genetic structure of the lodgepole pine × jack pine hybrid zone: mosaic structure and differential introgression
Article first published online: 8 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 5, Issue 8, pages 879–891, December 2012
How to Cite
Cullingham, C. I., James, P. M. A., Cooke, J. E. K. and Coltman, D. W. (2012), Characterizing the physical and genetic structure of the lodgepole pine × jack pine hybrid zone: mosaic structure and differential introgression. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 879–891. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00266.x
- Issue published online: 24 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 8 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAR 2012
- the Government of Alberta. Grant Number: AAET/AFRI-859-G07
- 2002. A model-based method for identifying species hybrids using multilocus genetic data. Genetics 160:1217–1229. , and .
- 1997. Natural Hybridization and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1993. Natural hybridization in Louisiana irises: genetic variation and ecological determinants. In H. G. Harrison, eds. Hybrid zones and the Evolutionary Process, pp. 115–139. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 1993. Genetic analysis of hybrid zones. In R. G. Harrison, ed. Hybrid Zones and the Evolutionary Process, pp. 13–45. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 1985. Analysis of hybrid zones. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16:113–148. , and .
- 1989. Adaptation, speciation and hybrid zones. Nature 341:497–503. , and .
- 2006. Comparison of Bayesian and maximum-likelihood inference of population genetic parameters. Bioinformatics 22:341–345.
- 2001. Maximum likelihood estimation of a migration matrix and effective population sizes in n subpopulations by using a coalescent approach. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 98:4563–4568. , and .
- 2010. Climate change and bark beetles of the western United States and Canada: direct and indirect effects. BioScience 60:602–613. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. How to track and assess genotyping errors in population genetic studies. Molecular Ecology 13:3261–3273. , , , , and .
- 2001. Spatial structure and habitat variation in a grasshopper hybrid zone. Evolution 55:1832–1843. , , and .
- 2009. Detection of hybrids in nature: application to oaks (Quercus suber and Q. ilex). Heredity 102:442–452. , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Model Selection and Multimodel Inference: A Practical Information-Theoretic Approach, 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY. , and .
- 2011. Bayesian analysis of hybridization and introgression between the endangered european mink (Mustela lutreola) and the polecat (Mustela putorius). Molecular Ecology 20:1176–1190. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Spatio-temporal changes in the genetic structure of the Passerina bunting hybrid zone. Molecular Ecology 20:1166–1175. , and .
- 1999. Genetics of elevational adaptations of lodgepole pine in the interior. Journal of Sustainable Forestry 10:35–44. , , , and .
- 2012. Relationships between spatio-temporal environmental and genetic variation reveal an important influence of exogenous selection in a pupfish hybrid zone. Molecular Ecology 21:1209–1222. , , , , and .
- 2010. Climate change and range expansion of an aggressive bark beetle: evidence of higher beetle reproduction in naïve host tree populations. Journal of Applied Ecology 47:1036–1043. , , , and .
- 2011. Mountain pine beetle host-range expansion threatens the boreal forest. Molecular Ecology 20:2157–2171. , , , , , and .
- 2002. A knowledge-based approach to the statistical mapping of climate. Climate Research 22:99–113. , , , , and .
- 1983. Allozyme variability and evolution of lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta var. latifolia) and jack pine (P. banksiana) in Alberta. Canadian Journal of Genetics and Cytology 25:57–64. , and .
- 2004. Selection and dispersal in a multispecies oak hybrid zone. Evolution 58:261–269. , and .
- 1984. Allozyme analysis of the mating system in lodgepole pine populations. Journal of Heredity 75:212–214. , and .
- 1989. Spatial autocorrelation analysis of the distribution of genotypes within populations of lodgepole pine. Genetics 121:369–377. , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 2007. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: dominant markers and null alleles. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:574–578. , , and .
- 1997. A review of methods for the assessment of prediction errors in conservation presence/absence models. Environmental Conservation 24:38–49. , and .
- 1993. The “hybrid bridge” hypothesis: host shifting via plant hybrid swarms. The American Naturalist 141:651–662. , and .
- 2008. Comparing clines on molecular and phenotypic traits in hybrid zones: a window on tension zone models. Evolution 62:2789–2806. , , , and .
- 2004. Gene flow across a climatic barrier between hybridizing avian species, California and Gambel's quail (Callipepla californica and C. gambelli). Evolution 58:1108–1121.
- 2005. A mitochondrial DNA minisatellite reveals the postglacial history of jack pine (Pinus banksiana), a broad-range North American conifer. Molecular Ecology 14:3497–3512. , , , and .
- 2008. Glacial vicariance in the Pacific Northwest: evidence from a lodgepole pine mitochondrial DNA minisatellite for multiple genetically distance and widely separated refugia. Molecular Ecology 17:2463–2475. , , , , and .
- 2009. A powerful regression-based method for admixture mapping of isolation across the genome of hybrids. Molecular Ecology 18:1207–1224. , and .
- 2010. introgress: a software package for mapping components of isolation in hybrids. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:378–384. , and .
- 1991. Hydrolysis of lipid and protein reserves in loblolly pine seeds in relation to protein electrophoretic patterns following imbibition. Physiologia Plantarum 83:99–106. , , and .
- 1982. Genetic diversity and population structure in pitch pine (Piinus rigida Mill). Evolution 36:387–402. , and .
- 2005. Models of climate normals for genecology and climate change studies in BC. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 128:211–221. , and .
- 2007. Asymmetrical natural hybridization between Populus deltoids and P. balsamifera (Salicaceae). Canadian Journal of Botany 85:1227–1232. , , , and .
- 1993. Hybrids and hybrid zones: historical perspective. In R. G. Harrison ed. Hybrid Zones and the Evolutionary Process, pp. 3–12. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1992. Generalized linear models. In J. M Chambers, and T. J. Hastie, eds. Statistical Models in S, pp. 195–247. Wadsworth & Brooks/Cole, University of Michigan, MI. , and .
- 2005. Genetics of Populations, 3rd edn. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Sudbury, MA.
- 2006. Changing temperatures influence suitability for modeled mountain pine beetle (Dendroctonus ponderosae) outbreaks in the western United States. Journal of Geophysical Research 111:G02019. , , , and .
- 2009. Geographically extensive hybridization between the forest trees American butternut and Japanese walnut. Biology Letters 5:324–327. , , , and .
- 1997. Temporal scaling of moisture and the forest–grassland boundary in western Canada. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 84:115–122.
- 2007. A new generation of climate-change experiments: events, not trends. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 5:365–374. , , and .
- 2000. Biomodal hybrid zones and speciation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15:250–255. , and .
- 2011. Insights into the area under the receiver operating characteristic curve (AUC) as a discrimination measure in species distribution modelling. Global Ecology and Biogeography doi: 10.1111/j.1466-8238.2011.00683.x.
- 1998. Is specialization a dead end?. The phylogeny of host use in Dendroctonus Bark Beetles(Scolytidae). Evolution 52:1731–1743. , and .
- 1997. A long-term study of Pinus banksiana population dynamics. Journal of Vegetative Science 8:241–254. , , and .
- 1968. The concept of stasipatric speciation. Systematic Zoology 17:14–22.
- 2007. Maintenance of genetic structure in progenies of marginal mountainous and steppe populations of three species of Pinaceae Lindl. Family in Ukraine. Silvae Genetica 1:1–10. , , , and .
- 2005. Barrier to gene flow between two ecologically divergent Populus species, P. alba (white poplar) and P. tremula (European aspen): the role of ecology and life history in gene introgression. Molecular Ecology 14:1045–1057. , , , , and .
- 1969. Forest genetics and forest-tree breeding. Annual Review Genetics 3:469–494. , , and .
- 1971. Atlas of the United States Trees, Conifers and Important Hardwoods, Vol. 1. U.S. Department of Agriculture Miscellaneous Publication No. 1146.
- 2011. Effect of water stress and plant defense stimulation on monoterpene emission from historical and new pine hosts of the mountain pine beetle. Journal of Chemical Ecology 37:1013–1026. , , , , and .
- 1985. A fossil pollen based reconstruction of the late Quaternary history of lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta ssp. latifolia) in the western interior of Canada. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 15:1039–1044. , and .
- 1998. The late Quaternary dynamics of pines in northern North America. In D. M. Richardson, ed. Ecology and Biogeography of Pinus, pp. 122–136. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- 2001. Hybrid populations selectively filter gene introgression between species. Evolution 55:1325–1335. , , , and .
- 1975. Gene frequency clines in the presence of selection opposed by gene flow. The American Naturalist 109:659–676. , , and .
- 1997. Postglacial range expansion and population growth of Picea marina, Picea glauca, and Pinus banksiana in the western interior of Canada. Journal of Biogeography 24:865–881. , and .
- 1993. Nature of selection in the northern flicker hybrid zone and its implications for speciation theory. In R. G. Harrison, ed. Hybrid zones and the Evolutionary Process, pp. 196–225. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 2008. Risk assessment of the threat of mountain pine beetle to Canada's boreal and eastern pine forests. Report BC-X-417, Canadian Forest Service, Pacific Forestry Centre, Victoria, BC. , and .
- 2007. nonbinROC: ROC-type Analysis for Non-Binary Gold Standards. R package Version 1.0.1. http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/nonbinROC/nonbinROC.pdf (accessed on April 27 2012).
- 2006. Hybridlab (version 1.0): a program for generating simulated hybrids from population samples. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:971–973. , , and .
- 2005. Estimating and comparing diagnostic tests’ accuracy when the gold standard is not binary. Academic Radiology 12:1198–1204.
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2010. Natural hybridization between kermes (Quercus coccifera L.) and holm oaks (Q. ilex L.) revealed by microsatellite markers. Plant Biology 12:234–238. , and .
- 2004. The evolutionary ecology of novel plant-pathogen interactions. Annuals Reviews of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 35:675–700. , and .
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2005. Genotyping errors: causes, consequences and solutions. Nature Reviews, Genetics 6:847–859. , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2010. Detecting hybridization between willow grouse (Lagopus lagopus) and rock ptarmigan (L. muta) in central Sweden through Bayesian admixture analyses and mtDNA screening. Conservation Genetics 11:557–569. , , and .
- 2008. Cross-scale divers of natural disturbances prone to anthropogenic amplification: the dynamics of bark beetle eruptions. BioScience 58:501–517. , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Genepop (Version-1.2) - Population-genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 1993. Introgression and its consequences in plants. In R. G. Harrison, ed. Hybrid Zones and the Evolutionary Process, pp. 70–109. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 1978. The late-Quaternary history of the boreal forest of central Canada, based on standard pollen stratigraphy and principal components analysis. Journal of Ecology 66:199–212. , and .
- 2009. Spatial-temporal analysis of species range expansion: the case of the mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae. Journal of Biogeography 36:1446–1458. , , , , and .
- 2007. Population differentiation of lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta) and jack pine (Pinus banksiana) complex in Alberta: growth, survival, and responses to climate. Canadian Journal of Botany 85:545–556. , , , , and .
- 2006. The biology and epidemiology of the mountain pine beetle in lodgepole pine forests. In L. Safranyik, and W. Wilson, eds. The Mountain Pine Beetle: A Synthesis of Biology, Management and Impacts on Lodgepole Pine, pp. 3–66. Natural Resources Canada, Canadian Forest Service, Pacific Forestry Centre, Victoria, BC. , and .
- 2010. Potential for range expansion of mountain pine beetle into the boreal forest of North America. Canadian Entomologist 142:415–4442. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Hybridization and adaptive radiation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19:198–207.
- 2009. ROCR: Visualizing the performance of scoring classifiers. R package version 1.0-4. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=ROCR (accessed on May 2001). , , , and .
- 2010. Molecular biodiversity and population structure in common ash (Fraxinus excelsior L.) in Britain: implications for conservation. Molecular Ecology 19:2196–2211. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. GIS-based niche models reveal unifying climatic mechanisms that maintain the location of avian hybrid zones in a North American suture zone. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19:717–725.
- 1996. A bioclimatic model for the potential distributions of north European tree species under present and future climates. Journal of Biogeography 23:203–233. , , and .
- 2010. Repeated unidirectional introgression towards Populus balsamifera in contact zones of exotic and native poplars. Molecular Ecology 19:132–145. , , , , and .
- 2006. Species assignment and hybrid identification among Scandinavian hares Lepus europaeus and L. timidus. Wildlife Biology 12:29–38. , , , and .
- 2010. Microsatellites and single nucleotide polymorphisms in avian hybrid identification: a comparative case study. Journal of Avian Biology 41:34–49. , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. The maintenance of reproductive isolation in a mosaic hybrid zone between the fire-bellied toads Bombina bombina and B. variegata. Evolution 57:1876–1888. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Development of scale-free climate data for western Canada for use in resource management. International Journal of Climatology 26:383–397. , , , and .
- 1987. A quantitative measure of introgression between lodgepole and jack pines. Canadian Journal of Botany 65:1876–1885. , and .
- 1983. Biosystematics of the genus Pinus, subsection Contortae. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 11:333–340. , , and .
- 1996. Effect of geographic variation and jack pine introgression on disease and insect resistance in lodgepole pine. Canadian Journal of Forestry Research 26:711–726. , , and .
- 2008. Evaluation of genetic variation of attack and resistance in lodgepole pine in the early stages of a mountain pine beetle outbreak. Tree Genetics and Genomes 4:171–180. , , and .
- 1999. Susceptibility of Pinus contorta – Pinus banksiana complex to Endocronartium harknessi: host-pathogen interactions. Canadian Journal of Botany 77:1035–1043. , , and .
- 2007. Multilocus structure in the Pinus contorta – Pinus banksiana complex. Canadian Journal of Botany 85:774–784. , , and .
- 2002. Population structure of a lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta) and jack pine (P. banksiana) complex as revealed by random amplified polymorphic DNA. Genome 45:530–540. , , and .
- 1969. Turpentine composition of Pinus contorta x Pinus banksiana hybrids and hybrid derivatives. Canadian Journal of Botany 47:1443–1453. , , and .
- 2009. Climatic extremes improve predictions of spatial patterns of tree species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Scienes, USA 106:19723–19728. , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Mixed Effects Models and Extensions in Ecology with R. Springer, New York. , , , , and