Reproductive success of captively bred and naturally spawned Chinook salmon colonizing newly accessible habitat
Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 165–179, February 2013
How to Cite
Anderson, J. H., Faulds, P. L., Atlas, W. I. and Quinn, T. P. (2013), Reproductive success of captively bred and naturally spawned Chinook salmon colonizing newly accessible habitat. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 165–179. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00271.x
- Issue online: 18 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 23 MAR 2012
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration . Grant Numbers: NA04OAR4170032, NA07OAR4170007, R/F-148 and R/F-159
- Seattle Public Utilities
- H Mason Keeler Endowment
- 2009. Reintroducing endangered Vancouver Island marmots: survival and cause-specific mortality rates of captive-born versus wild-born individuals. Biological Conservation 142:2181–2190. , , , and .
- 2011. Dispersal and reproductive success of Chinook (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) and coho (O. kisutch) salmon colonizing newly accessible habitat. Ph.D. Dissertation, School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- 2007. Movements of adult coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) during colonization of newly accessible habitat. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64:1143–1154. , and .
- 2010. Selection on breeding date and body size in colonizing coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch. Molecular Ecology 19:2562–2573. , , , , and .
- 2005. Unbiased estimation of relative reproductive success of different groups: evaluation and correction of bias caused by parentage assignment errors. Molecular Ecology 14:4097–4109. , and .
- 2007. Genetic effects of captive breeding cause a rapid, cumulative fitness decline in the wild. Science 318:100–103. , , and .
- 2008. Fitness of hatchery-reared salmonids in the wild. Evolutionary Applications 1:342–355. , , , and .
- 2009. Carry-over effect of captive breeding reduces reproductive fitness of wild-born descendants in the wild. Biology Letters 5:621–624. , , and .
- 2010. Genetic consequences of intensive management in game birds. Biological Conservation 143:1259–1268. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Increases in steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) redd abundance resulting from two conservation hatchery strategies in the Hamma Hamma River, Washington. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65:754–764. , , , and .
- 2006. Timing, Abundance, and Population Characteristics of Spawning Chinook Salmon in the Cedar/Sammamish Watershed. Technical report, King County Department of Natural Resources and Parks, Seattle, WA. , , and .
- 1989. Natural selection resulting from female breeding competition in a Pacific salmon (coho: Oncorhynchus kisutch). Evolution 43:125–140. , and .
- 2000. The evolution of body size: what keeps organisms small? The Quarterly Review of Biology 75:385–407. .
- 1995. Visualizing and quantifying natural selection. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10:313–318. , , and .
- 2006. Wild-reared aplomado falcons survive and recruit at higher rates than hacked falcons in a common environment. Biological Conservation 131:453–458. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Reduced recruitment performance in natural populations of anadromous salmonids associated with hatchery-reared fish. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 68:511–522. , , and .
- 2012. Genetic adaptation to captivity can occur in a single generation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 109:238–242. , , , and .
- 2005. Natural colonization and establishment of a chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, population in the Santa Cruz River, an Atlantic basin of Patagonia. Environmental Biology of Fishes 74:219–227. , , , , and .
- 2003. Confidence intervals are a more useful complement to nonsignificant tests than are power calculations. Behavioral Ecology 14:446–447. , and .
- 2005. Relative importance of salmon body size and arrival time at breeding grounds to reproductive success. Ecology 86:347–352. , , , , and .
- 2000. Selection against late emergence and small offspring in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Evolution 54:628–639. , and .
- 2004. Evolution of egg size and number. In A. P. Hendry, and S. C. Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and their Relatives, pp. 126–153. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , and .
- 2009. Growth and demography of a re-introduced population of White-tailed Eagles Haliaeetus albicilla. Ibis 151:244–254. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. An assessment of the published results of animal relocations. Biological Conservation 96:1–11. , and .
- 1993. Breeding success of hatchery and wild coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) in competition. Ecological Applications 3:230–245. , and .
- 1994. Breeding competition in a Pacific salmon (coho: Oncorhynchus kisutch): measures of natural and sexual selection. Evolution 48:637–657. , and .
- 1990. An experimental comparison of male and female spawning territoriality in a Pacific salmon. Behaviour 115:283–314. .
- 2002. Selection in captivity during supportive breeding may reduce fitness in the wild. Conservation Biology 16:815–825. .
- 2010. The aunt and uncle effect revisited – the effect of biased parentage assignment on fitness estimation in a supplemented salmon population. Journal of Heredity 101:33–41. , and .
- 2006. Changes in run timing and natural smolt production in a naturally spawning coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) population after 60 years of intensive hatchery production. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:2343–2355. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Estimates of natural selection in a salmon population in captive and natural environments. Conservation Biology 22:783–794. , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic adaptation to captivity in species conservation programs. Molecular Ecology 17:325–333. .
- 2008. How well can captive breeding programs conserve biodiversity? A review of salmonids. Evolutionary Applications 1:535–586. .
- 1995. FSTAT (Version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486. .
- 2008. Captive breeding, reintroductions, and the conservation of amphibians. Conservation Biology 22:852–861.
- 1985. Disruptive selection for alternative life histories in salmon. Nature 313:47–48.
- 1991. Life history of Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). In C. Groot, and L. Margolis, eds. Pacific Salmon Life Histories. pp. 311–394. UBC Press, Vancouver, BC.
- 2003. Estimating natural selection acting on stream-dwelling Atlantic salmon: implications for the restoration of extirpated populations. Conservation Biology 17:795–805. , , and .
- HSRG. 2003. Hatchery reform: principles and recommendations of the Hatchery Scientific Review Group. Long Live the Kings, Seattle, WA.
- 2010. COLONY: a program for parentage and sibship inference from multilocus genotype data. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:551–555. , and .
- 2008. The effects of captive experience on reintroduction survival in carnivores: a review and analysis. Biological Conservation 141:355–363. , , and .
- 2007. Revising how the computer program CERVUS accommodates genotyping error increases success in paternity assignment. Molecular Ecology 16:1099–1106. , , and .
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary conservation biology: contemporary evolution and the dynamics of persistence. Functional Ecology 21:444–454. , and .
- 2009. Factors that contribute to the ecological risks of salmon and steelhead hatchery programs and some mitigating strategies. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 19:9–31. .
- 2004. How interactions between ecology and evolution influence contemporary invasion dynamics. Ecology 85:2061–2070.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 2007. Manipulating sex ratio to increase population growth: the example of the Lesser Kestrel. Animal Conservation 10:236–244. , , and .
- 1998. Statistical confidence for likelihood-based paternity inference in natural populations. Molecular Ecology 7:639–655. , , , and .
- 1962. The effect of altered sex ratios on the spawning of red salmon. In T. S. Y. Koo, ed. Studies of Alaska Red Salmon, pp. 137–246. University of Washington Press, Seattle.
- 2008. Evolutionary effects of alternative artificial propagation programs: implications for viability of endangered anadromous salmonids. Evolutionary Applications 1:356–375. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Colonization and development of stream communities across a 200-year gradient in Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska, U.S.A. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:2319–2335. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Hatchery reform in Washington state: principles and emerging issues. Fisheries 30:11–23. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. An evaluation of the effects of conservation and fishery enhancement hatcheries on wild populations of salmon. Advances in Marine Biology 53:61–194. , , , , , , and .
- National Research Council. 1996. Upstream: Salmon and Society in the Pacific Northwest. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 2011. The influences of body size, habitat quality, and competition on the movement and survival of juvenile coho salmon during the early stages of stream recolonization. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 140:883–897. , , , , , and .
- 2005. The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA.
- 1996. Behavioral tactics of male sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) under varying operational sex ratios. Ethology 102:304–322. , , and .
- 2001. Evolution of chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) populations in New Zealand: pattern, rate, and process. Genetica 112-113:493–513. , , and .
- 2002. Artificial selection and environmental change: countervailing factors affecting the timing of spawning by coho and chinook salmon. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 131:591–598. , , , , and .
- 2007. Do males matter? The role of males in population dynamics. Oikos 116:335–348. , and .
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptations: what empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica 112-113:183–198. , and .
- 2008. Relative fitness of wild and captive-reared piping plovers: does egg salvage contribute to recovery of the endangered Great Lakes population? Biological Conservation 141:3079–3088. , , and .
- 2006. Independent populations of Chinook salmon in Puget Sound. U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NWFSC-78, Seattle, WA. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. The population biology of invasive species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32:305–332. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The mating system of steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) inferred by molecular analysis of parents and progeny. Environmental Biology of Fishes 69:333–344. , , and .
- 2007. DNA parentage analysis reveals inter-annual variation in selection: results from 19 consecutive brood years in steelhead trout. Evolutionary Ecology Research 9:409–431. , , and .
- 2007. Developing the science of reintroduction biology. Conservation Biology 21:303–312. , , and .
- 2004. Assessment of counting accuracy of the Vaki infrared counter on chum salmon. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 24:249–252. , and .
- 2005. The importance of mating system in translocation programs: reproductive success of released male bridled nailtail wallabies. Biological Conservation 123:289–300. , , and .
- 1999. Egg burial depth by sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka): implications for survival of embryos and natural selection on female body size. Canadian Journal of Zoology 77:836–841. , and .
- 1993. The uses of statistical power in conservation biology: the vaquita and northern spotted owl. Conservation Biology 7:489–500. , and .
- 2011. Reduced reproductive success of hatchery coho salmon in the wild: insights into most likely mechanisms. Molecular Ecology 20:1860–1869. , , , , and .
- 2002. Modern Applied Statistics with S. Springer, New York, NY. , and .
- 1999. Dispelling some myths about hatcheries. Fisheries 24:12–21. .
- 2005. Genetic characterization of Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) populations within Watershed Resouces Inventory Area 8 (WRIA 8), Washington State. Genetics Laboratory, Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Olympia, WA. , and .
- 2011. Eco-evolutionary effects on population recovery following catastrophic disturbance. Evolutionary Applications 4:354–366. , , , , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 2009. Minimizing genetic adaptation in captive breeding programs: a review. Biological Conservation 142:2388–2400. , and .
- 2010. Factors influencing the relative fitness of hatchery and wild spring Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) in the Wenatchee River, Washington, USA. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 67:1840–1851. , , , , and .
- 1996. Avian and mammalian translocations: update and reanalysis of 1987 survey data. Conservation Biology 10:1142–1154. , , , and .
- 1999. Managing the decline of Pacific salmon: metapopulation theory and artificial recolonization as ecological mitigation. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:1700–1706.