Host specificity in biological control: insights from opportunistic pathogens
Article first published online: 7 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: Evolution and Biological Control
Volume 5, Issue 5, pages 470–480, July 2012
How to Cite
Brodeur, J. (2012), Host specificity in biological control: insights from opportunistic pathogens. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 470–480. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00273.x
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 7 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 APR 2012
- 1997. Ultrastructural and cytochemical investigations of the antagonistic effect of Verticillium lecanii on cucumber powdery mildew, Sphaerotheca fuliginea . Phytopathology 87:359–368. , , and .
- 1998. Strain variability in pathogenicity of the fungus Verticillium lecanii to aphids and powdery mildew. Biocontrol Science & Technology 8:23–32. , , , and .
- 1999. Ultrastructural and cytochemical characterization of aphid invasion by the Hyphomycete Verticillium lecanii . Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 74:1–13. , , and .
- 1999. Arthropods and vertebrates in biological control of plants. In T. S. Bellows , L. E. Caltgirone , and T. W. Fisher , eds. Handbook of Biological Control: Principles and Applications of Biological Control, pp. 505–516. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA. , and .
- 2000. Evidence for antibiosis and induced host defense reactions in the interaction between Verticillium lecanii and Penicillium digitatum, the causal agent of green mold. Phytopathology 90:932–943. , and .
- 2001. Antifungal and eliciting properties of the mycoparasite, Verticillium lecanii, mediate the interaction between Pythium ultimum and Ri T-DNA transformed cucumber roots. Plant Molecular and Physiological Pathology 58:133–146. , and .
- 1999. The case for indigenous generalists in biological control. In B. A. Hawkins , and H. V. Cornell , eds. Theoretical Approaches to Biological Control, pp. 103–115. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , and .
- 2001. Biological control of weeds by means of plant-pathogens: significance for integrated weed management in modern agro-ecology. Biological Control 46:229–260. .
- 1982. Insecticidal secondary metabolic products from the entomopathogenous fungus Verticillium lecanii . Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 40:413–418. , and .
- 2010. Do new access and benefit sharing procedures under the convention on biological diversity threaten the future of biological control? BioControl 55:199–218. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Making greater use of introduced microorganisms for biological control of plant pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 31:53–80. .
- 2005. Benefits of classical biological control for managing invasive pants. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 24:131–150. .
- 2000. A taxonomic revision of Metarhizium based on sequence analysis of ribosomal DNA. Mycology Resources 104:135–151. , , and .
- 2001. Trichoderma: the genomics of opportunistic success. Nature Reviews 9:751–759. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Invasion theory and biological control. Ecology Letters 5:148–157. , , , and .
- 2007. Increased insect virulence in Beauveria bassiana strains overexpressing an engineered chitinase. Applied Environmental Microbiology 73:295–302. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Mycoinsecticides and mycoacaricides: a comprehensive list with worldwide coverage and international classification of formulation types. Biological Control 43:237–256. , and .
- 1996. Host specificity in microbe-insect interactions. BioScience 46:410–421. , and .
- 2008. Improvement of insect pathogens as insecticides through genetic engineering. In C. Hill , and R. Sleator , eds. PathoBiotechnology, pp. 15–40. Landes Bioscience, Austin, TX, USA. , , and .
- 1994. Survey of entomopathogenic fungi naturally infecting cereal aphids (Homoptera: Aphididae) of irrigated grain crops in southwestern Idaho. Environmental Entomology 19:1534–1542. , , and .
- 2000. Dose-response susceptibility of pest aphids (Homoptera: Aphididae) and their control of hydroponically grown lettuce with the entomopathogenic fungus Verticillium lecanii, azarid- actin, and insecticidal soap. Environmental Entomology 29:568–578. , and .
- 2011. Genome sequencing and comparative transcriptomics of the model entomopathogenic fungi Metarhizium anisopliae and M. acridum . PLoS Genetics 7:e1001264. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Effect of endotoxic compounds isolated from Verticillium lecanii on the sweet potato whitefly, Bemesia tabaci . Phytoparasitica 22:189–196. , , , and .
- 2005. Entomopathogenic fungi and their role in regulation of insect populations. In L. I. Gilbert , K. Iatrou , and S. Gill , eds. Comprehensive Molecular Insect Science, Vol. 6, pp. 361–406. Elsevier, Oxford, UK. , , and .
- 2008. Potential of Lecanicillium spp. For management of insects, nematodes and plant diseases. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 98:256–261. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Benefits and risks of classical biological control. In H. M. T. Hokkanen , and J. M. Lynch , eds. Biological Control: Benefits and Risks, pp. 53–63. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. .
- 2007. Approaches to and successes in developing transgenically enhanced mycoherbicides. In M. Vurro , and J. Gressel , eds. Novel Biotechnologies for Biocontrol Agent Enhancement and Management, pp. 297–305. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Fungal pathogens as classical biological control agents against arthropods. BioControl 55:147–158. , and .
- 2003. Entomopathogenic fungi as classical biological control agents. In H. M. T. Hokkanen , and A. E. Hajek , eds. Environmental Impacts of Microbial Insecticides, pp. 15–34. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands. , , and .
- 1978. The Dynamics of Arthropods Predator-Prey Systems. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, NJ, USA. .
- 2006. Risks of interbreeding between species used in biological control and native species, and methods for evaluating their occurrence and impact. In F. Bigler , D. Babendreier , and U. Kuhlmann , eds. Environmental Impact of Invertebrates for Biological Control of Arthropods: Methods and Risk Assessment, pp. 78–97. CAB International, Wallingford, UK. , , and .
- 1991. Environmental impacts of classical biological control. Annual Review of Entomology 36:485–509. .
- 2005. Microevolution in biological control: mechanisms, patterns, and processes. Biological Control 35:227–239. , and .
- 2009. A generic theoretical model for biological control of foliar plant diseases. Journal of Theoretical Biology 256:201–214. , , , and .
- 2007. Potential of Lecanicillium species for dual microbial control of aphids and the cucumber powdery mildew fungus, Sphaerotheca fuliginea . Biological Control 40:327–332. , , and .
- 2010. Evaluation of Lecanicillium longisporum, Vertalec® against the cotton aphid, Aphis gossypii, and cucumber powdery mildew, Sphaerotheca fuliginea in a greenhouse environment. Crop Protection 29:540–544. , , and .
- 2012. Future biological control for soybean cyst nématode. In H. A. El-Shemy , ed. Soybean Physiology & Biochemistry, pp. 193–208. Intech Open Access, Rijeka, Croatia. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The analysis of the complete mitochondrial genome of Lecanicillium muscarium (synonym Verticillium lecanii) suggests a minimum common gene organization in mtDNAs of Sordariomycetes: phylogenetic implications. Fungal genetics and Biology 41:930–940. , , and .
- 2006. Selection of non-target species for host specificity testing. In F. Bigler , D. Babendreier , and U. Kuhlmann , eds. Environmental Impact of Invertebrates for Biological Control of Arthropods: Methods and Risk Assessment, pp. 15–37. CAB International, Wallingford, UK. , , and .
- 2012. The state of commercial augmentative biological control: plenty of natural enemies, but a frustrating lack of uptake. BioControl 57:1–20. .
- 2003. Mass production, storage, shipment and release of natural enemies. In J. C. van Lenteren , ed. Quality Control and Production of Biological Control Agents: Theory and Testing Procedures, pp. 181–189. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, UK. , and .
- 2006. Assessing risks of releasing exotic biological control agents of arthropod pests. Annual Review of Entomology 51:609–634. , , , , and .
- 1995. Overview of benefits and risks of biological control introductions. In H. M. T. Hokkanen , and J. M. Lynch , eds. Biological Control: Benefits and Risks, pp. xvii–xxii. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. .
- 2002. The risks of biocontrol: transient impacts and minimum nontarget densities. Ecological Applications 12:1872–1882. , , , , and .
- 1988. Population dynamics and biological control. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B 318:129–169. , and .
- 2006. Evaluation of phytoseiid predators for control of western flower thrips on greenhouse cucumber. BioControl 51:753–768. , , and .
- 2008. Increased pathogenicity against coffee berry borer, Hypothenemus hampei (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) by Metarhizium anisopliae expressing the scorpion toxin (AaIT) gene. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 99:220–226. , , , , and .
- 1986. Biological invasions of plants and animals in agriculture and forestry. In H. A. Mooney , and J. A. Drake , eds. Ecology of Biological Invasions of North America and Hawaii, pp. 149–162. Springer Verlag, New York. .
- 2003. Using fungi and yeasts to manage vegetable crop diseases. Trends in Biotechnology 21:400–407. , and .
- 2011. A Roadmap to the Successful Development and Commercialization of Microbial Pest Control Products for Control of Arthropods. Springer, Dordrecht.
- 2003. Genes in new environments: genetics and evolution in biological control. Nature Reviews Genetics 4:889–899. , and .
- 2008. Potential of Verticillium lecanii (Lecanicillium spp.) hybrid strains as biological control agents for soybean cyst nematode: is protoplast fusion an effective tool for development of plant-parasitic nematode control agents? Japanese Journal of Nematology 38:9–18. , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Risks of species introduced for biological control. Biological Conservation 78:185–192. , and .
- 2008. Studies on adaptations of Metarhizium anisopliae to life in the soil. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 98:271–276. .
- 2010. Genetic engineering of fungal biocontrol agents to achieve greater efficacy against insect pests. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 85:901–907. , and .
- 1996a. Characterization and ultrastructural localization of chitinases from Metarhizium anisopliae, M. flavoviride, and Beauveria bassiana during fungal invasion of host (M. sexta) cuticle. Applied Environmental Microbiology 62:907–912. , , , , and .
- 1996b. Construction of an improved mycoinsecticide over-expressing a toxic protease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 93:6349–6354. , , , and .
- 1996. Host specificity of insect parasitoids and predators. BioScience 46:422–429. , and .
- 1999. Ecological approaches and the development of truly integrated. Pest management. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 96:5944–5951. .
- 1994. The Coevolutionary Process. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, USA. .
- 1975. Biochemical coevolution between parasitoids and their hosts. In P. W. Price , ed. Evolutionary Strategies of Parasitic Insects and Mites, pp. 14–18. Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA. .
- 1995. The use of exotic organisms as biopesticides: Some issues. In H. M. T. Hokkanen , and J. M. Lynch , eds. Biological Control: Benefits and Risks, pp. 93–100. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. .
- 2001. Indirect ecological effects in biological control: the challenge and the opportunity. In E. Wajnberg , J. K. Scott , and P. C. Quimby , eds. Evaluating Indirect Ecological Effects of Biological Control, pp. 1–12. CAB International, Wallingford, UK. .
- 1923. The Principles of Insect Control. University of Manchester Press, New York, NY, USA. , and .
- 1993. Bionomics of the braconidae. Annual Review of Entomology 38:121–143. .
- 1999. Induction of defense responses in cucumber by the biocontrol agent Trichoderma harzianum . Applied and Environmental Microbiology 65:1061–1070. , , and .
- 2001. A revision of Verticillium sect. Prostrata. IV. The genera Lecanicillium and Simplicillium . Nova Hedwigia 73:1–50. , and .
- 2000. A revision of Verticillium Sect. Prostrata. I. Phylogenetic studies using ITS sequences. Nova Hedwigia 71:465–480. , , and .