Evolution in biocontrol strains: insight from the harlequin ladybird Harmonia axyridis
Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: Evolution and Biological Control
Volume 5, Issue 5, pages 481–488, July 2012
How to Cite
Tayeh, A., Estoup, A., Laugier, G., Loiseau, A., Turgeon, J., Toepfer, S. and Facon, B. (2012), Evolution in biocontrol strains: insight from the harlequin ladybird Harmonia axyridis. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 481–488. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00274.x
- Issue online: 10 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 7 NOV 2011
- French Agropolis Foundation. Grant Number: 1001-001
- 2003. The Multicoloured Asian Ladybird Harmonia axyridis Pallas (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae), a threat for native aphid predators in Belgium? Belgian Journal of Zoology 133:195–196. , , and .
- 1988. Genetic changes associated with the evolution of adaptedness in cultivated plants and their wild progenitors. Journal of Heredity 79:225–238.
- 2007. Genetic effects of captive breeding cause a rapid, cumulative fitness decline in the wild. Science 318:100–103. , , and .
- 2011. The global spread of Harmonia axyridis (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae): distribution, dispersal and routes of invasion. BioControl 56:623–641. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Crop evolution: from genetics to genomics. Current Opinion in Genetics and Development 17:525–532. , , and .
- 1991. Harmonia axyridis Pallas, the 3rd species of the genus to be found in the United-States (Coleoptera, Coccinellidae). Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 93:630–635. , and .
- 2003. Relationship between natural productivity and the frequency of wild fish in mixed spawning populations of wild and hatchery steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:1057–1067.
- 2002. Evolution, consequences and future of plant and animal domestication. Nature 418:700–707.
- 2011. Can things get worst when an invasive species hybridizes? The harlequin ladybird Harmonia axyridis in France as a case study. Evolutionary Applications 4:71–88. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Coccinelle Harmonia axyridis pallas: mise au point sur son introduction et son utilisation en lutte biologique. Adalia 36:21–24. , , , , and .
- 2000. Effective population size and maintenance of genetic diversity in captive-bred populations of a Lake Victoria Cichlid. Conservation Biology 14:886–892. , , and .
- 1993. Breeding success of hatchery and wild coho salmon Oncorhynchus kisutch in competition. Ecological Applications 3:230–245. , and .
- 2008. Genetic adaptation to captivity in species conservation programs. Molecular Ecology 17:325–333.
- 1986. Selection in captive populations. Zoo Biology 5:127–138. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Dynamics of genetic adaptation to captivity. Conservation Genetics 4:189–197. , and .
- 2003. Rapid evolution of egg size in captive salmon. Science 299:1738–1740. , , , , and .
- 1993. Management of genetics of biological-control introductions. Annual Review of Entomology 38:27–51. , , and .
- 1985. Recent advances in genetics and genetic improvement of the Phytoseiidae. Annual Review of Entomology 30:345–370.
- 2002. Evidence for nonadaptive evolution in parasitoid virulence following a biological control introduction. Ecological Applications 12:66–78.
- 1984. Maintenance of genetic variability in reared insects. In E. G. King, and N. C. Leppla, eds. Advances and Challenges in Insect Rearing, pp. 20–29. USA Agricultural Research Service, Southern Region, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 2008. Current and potential management strategies against Harmonia axyridis. BioControl 53:235–252. , , , and .
- 2003. The multicolored Asian lady beetle, Harmonia axyridis: a review of its biology, uses in biological control, and non-target impacts. Journal of Insect Science 3:1–16.
- 2008. Bad side of a good beetle: the North American experience with Harmonia axyridis. BioControl 53:23–35. , and .
- 2006. Invasions by Harmonia axyridis (Pallas) (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) in the Western Hemisphere: Implications for South America. Neotropical Entomology 35:421–434. , , and .
- 2006. Captive breeding and the fitness of reintroduced species: a test of the responses to predators in a threatened amphibian. Journal of Applied Ecology 43:360–365. , , , and .
- 1997. Gene flow in the exotic colonizing ladybeetle Harmonia axyridis in North America. Biological Control 8:207–214. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Inbreeding avoidance or tolerance? Comparison of mating behaviour between mass-reared and wild strains of the sweet potato weevil. Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology 65:1483–1489. , , , and .
- 1996. Field observations on Harmonia axyridis Pallas (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) in Oregon. Biological Control 6:232–237. , and .
- 1990. Electrophoretic comparison of the reproductive success of naturally spawning transplanted and wild steelhead trout through the returning adult stage. Aquaculture 88:239–252. , , , and .
- 2001. The road to extinction is paved with good intentions: negative association of fish hatcheries with threatened salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 268:1153–1158. , , and .
- 2001. Adaptations to captivity in the butterfly Pieris brassicae (L.) and the implications for ex situ conservation. Journal of Insect Conservation 5:55–63. , and .
- 2008. Phenotypic variation in invasive and biocontrol populations of the harlequin ladybird, Harmonia axyridis. BioControl 53:89–102. , , , and .
- 2010. Bridgehead Effect in the Worldwide Invasion of the Biocontrol Harlequin Ladybird. PLoS One 5:e9743. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Inferring the origin of populations introduced from a genetically structured native range by approximate Bayesian computation: case study of the invasive ladybird Harmonia axyridis. Molecular Ecology 20:4654–4670. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Age–specific effects of novel mutations in Drosophila melanogaster: II. Fecundity and male mating ability. Genetica 110:31–41. , , and .
- 2003. Fitness reduction and potential extinction of wild populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, as a result of interactions with escaped farm salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B – Biological Sciences 270:2443–2450. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Evolutionary process of Bos taurus cattle in favourable versus unfavourable environments and its implications for genetic selection. Evolutionary Applications 3:422–433. , , and .
- 1993. Life-cycle of Harmonia-axyridis (Col, Coccinellidae) in its area of introduction - South-Eastern France. Entomophaga 38:125–128. , , , and .
- 2008. Predicting the potential geographical distribution of the harlequin ladybird, Harmonia axyridis, using the CLIMEX model. BioControl 53:103–125. , , , and .
- 1999. Genetic changes from artificial propagation of Pacific salmon affect the productivity and viability of supplemented populations. Ices Journal of Marine Science 56:459–466. , and .
- 2007. Plant domestication, a unique opportunity to identify the genetic basis of adaptation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:8641–8648. , , and .
- 2008. Interactions between the fungal pathogen Beauveria bassiana and three species of coccinellid: Harmonia axyridis, Coccinella septempunctata and Adalia bipunctata. BioControl 53:265–276. , , , , and .
- 2011. Living with the enemy: parasites and pathogens of the ladybird Harmonia axyridis. BioControl 56:663–679. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Whole-genome resequencing reveals loci under selection during chicken domestication. Nature 464:587–591. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Presence of Harmonia axyridis Pallas (Coleoptera: Coccinelidae) in BS.AS. Province, Argentina. Biological and morphological aspects. RIA, Revista de Investigaciones Agropecuarias 33:151–160.
- 2002. Genetic evidence for an East Asian origin of domestic dogs. Science 298:1610–1613. , , , , and .
- 2000. Evolutionary responses of the life history of wild-caught Drosophila melanogaster to two standard methods of laboratory culture. American Naturalist 156:–353. , and .
- 2003. Entomopathogenic fungi as biological control agents. Applied microbiology and biotechnology 61:413–423. , and .
- 1995. Biometry: The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biological Research, 3rd edn. W. H. Freeman and Co., New York. 887 pp. , and
- 2007. Discovery of an alien invasive, predatory insect in South Africa: the multicoloured Asian ladybird beetle, Harmonia axyridis Pallas (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae). South African Journal of Science 103:123–126. , and .
- 2009. Entomopathogenic fungi recorded from the harlequin ladybird, Harmonia axyridis. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 102:88–89. , and .
- 1994. Release and establishment of Harmonia axyridis (Coleoptera, Coccinellidae) in the Southeastern United-States. Entomological News 105:228–243. , and .
- 2000. A natural flightless mutation in the ladybird, Harmonia axyridis. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 96:33–38. , , , , and .
- 2011. Experimental evidence for the phenotypic impact of admixture between wild and biocontrol Asian ladybird Harmonia axyridis involved in the European invasion. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24:1044–1052. , , , , , , , and .
- 1991. Quality control of mass-reared arthropods: a genetical and statistical approach. Fifth Workshop of the IOBC Global Working Group on Quality Control of Mass Reared Arthropods : 15–25.
- 1999. Dispelling some myths about hatcheries. Fisheries 24:12–21.
- 2006. Environmental coupling of selection and heritability limits evolution. PLoS Biology 4:e216. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0040216. , , , , et al.
- 1982. Selection at the alcohol-dehydrogenase locus of the olive fruit-fly dacus-oleae under artificial rearing. Heredity 48:169–185. , , , and .