Intraspecific variability in the parasitoid wasp Trichogramma chilonis: can we predict the outcome of hybridization?
Article first published online: 8 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: Evolution and Biological Control
Volume 5, Issue 5, pages 498–510, July 2012
How to Cite
Benvenuto, C., Tabone, E., Vercken, E., Sorbier, N., Colombel, E., Warot, S., Fauvergue, X. and Ris, N. (2012), Intraspecific variability in the parasitoid wasp Trichogramma chilonis: can we predict the outcome of hybridization?. Evolutionary Applications, 5: 498–510. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00279.x
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 8 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 APR 2012
- French Agency ANR. Grant Number: ANR-06-BDIV-008
- Scientific Department ‘Santé des Plantes et Environnement’ of INRA. Grant Number: 2008-1254-
- 1974. A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE Transaction on Automatic Control 19:716–723. .
- 1995. Are natural hybrids fit or unfit relative to their parents? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 10:67–71. , and .
- 2005. Stabilization of beneficial traits in Heterorhabditis bacteriophora through creation of inbred lines. Biological Control 32:220–227. , , , and .
- 2003. Genetic variation and founder effects in the parasitoid wasp, Diaeretiella rapae (M'intosh) (Hymenoptera: Braconidae: Aphidiidae), affecting its potential as a biological control agent. Molecular Ecology 12:3303–3311. , , and .
- 2010. Progress in risk assessment for classical biological control. Biological Control 52:245–254. , , , , and .
- 2001 The role of hybridization in evolution. Molecular Ecology 10:551–568. .
- 1983. Optimal outbreeding. In P. Bateson , ed. Mate Choice, pp. 257–277. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Intraspecific hybridization, life history strategies and potential invasion success in a parasitoid wasp. Evolutionary Ecology. DOI 10.1007/s10682-011-9553-z. , , , , and . (In press)
- 2000. Kairomones used by Trichogramma chilonis to find Helicoverpa assulta eggs. Journal of Chemical Ecology 26:359–375. , and .
- 2001. Genetics and the fitness of hybrids. Annual Review of Genetics 35:31–52. , and .
- 2006. JMATING: a software for the analysis of sexual selection and sexual isolation effects from mating frequency data. Bmc Evolutionary Biology 6:40. , and .
- 2011. Outcrossing and crossbreeding recovers deteriorated traits in laboratory cultured Steinernema carpocapsae nematodes. International Journal for Parasitology 41:801–809. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Molecular characterization of Psyttalia lounsburyi, a candidate biocontrol agent of the olive fruit fly, and its Wolbachia symbionts as a pre-requisite for future intraspecific hybridization. BioControl 56:713–724. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Do new access and benefit sharing procedures under the convention on biological diversity threaten the future of biological control? BioControl 55:199–218. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Genetics and Exploitation of Heterosis in Crops. Crop Science Society of America, Madison, WI. , and .
- 1989. Patterns of speciation in Drosophila . Evolution 43:362–381. , and .
- 1997. “Patterns of speciation in Drosophila” revisited. Evolution 51:295–303. , and .
- 2005. Impact of experimental design on Drosophila sexual isolation studies: direct effects and comparison to field hybridization data. Evolution 59:2588–2601. , , and .
- 1998. 90 years ago: the beginning of hybrid maize. Genetics 148:923–928.
- 1950. Genetics of natural populations. XIX. Origin of heterosis through natural selection in populations of Drosophila pseudoobscura . Genetics 35:288–302.
- 2002. Does parental divergence predict reproductive compatibility? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17:520–527.
- 1998. Invasion biology and biological control. Biological Control 13:127–133.
- 2001. Suggestions for unifying the terminology in biological control. BioControl 46:387–400. , , and .
- 2000. Hybridization as a stimulus for the evolution of invasiveness in plants? Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 97:7043–7050. , and .
- 2009. The ecology and evolution of microbes that manipulate host reproduction. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 40:127–149. , and .
- 2005. Hybridization and invasiveness in the freshwater snail Melanoides tuberculata: hybrid vigour is more important than increase in genetic variance. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 18:524–535. , , , and .
- 2008. High genetic variance in life-history strategies within invasive populations by way of multiple introductions. Current Biology 18:363–367. , , , , and .
- 2002. Invasion theory and biological control. Ecology Letters 5:148–157. , , , and .
- 1981. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, London.
- 2008. Foraging behavior of egg parasitoids exploiting chemical information. Behavioral Ecology 19:677–689. , , , , and .
- 2009. French wasps in the new world: experimental biological control introductions reveal a demographic Allee effect. Population Ecology 51:385–397. , and .
- 2004. Relationship between heterosis and genetic distance based on morphological traits and AFLP markers in pepper. Plant Breeding 123:467–473. , , and .
- 2006. Disassociation between weak sexual isolation and genetic divergence in a hermaphroditic land snail and implications about chirality. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 19:1631–1640. , , and .
- 1999. Bioedit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for windows 95/98/nt. Nucleic Acids Symposium Series 41:95–98.
- The GeM Working Group. 2012. Monitoring adaptive genetic responses to environmental change. Molecular Ecology 21:1311–1329. , , , , and
- 2005. Selecting arthropod biological control agents against arthropod pests: can the science be improved to decrease the risk of releasing ineffective agents? Biological Control 34:255–264. , and .
- 2002. Biological control of cactus weeds: implications of hybridization between control agent biotypes. Journal of Applied Ecology 39:900–908. , , and .
- 2010. PopTools version 3.2.3. Available on the internet. http://www.poptools.org.
- 1993. Management of genetics of biological-control introductions. Annual Review of Entomology 38:27–51. , , and
- 1976. Genetic improvement of insects: fact or fantasy. Environmental Entomology 5:833–836.
- 1985. Recent advances in genetics and genetic improvement of the Phytoseiidae. Annual Review of Entomology 30:345–370.
- 1981. Selection for and genetic analysis of permethrin resistance in Metaseiulus occidentalis: genetic improvement of a biological control agent. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 30:10–18. , and .
- 1983. Release and evaluation of a laboratory selected, pyrethroid resistant strain of the predaceous mite Metaseiulus occidentalis (Acari: Phytoseiidae) in Southern Oregon pear orchards and a Washington apple orchard. Journal of Economic Entomology 76:383–388. , , and .
- 2005. Microevolution in biological control: mechanisms, patterns, and processes. Biological Control 35:227–239. , and .
- 2010. Genomic admixture increases fitness during a biological invasion. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23:1720–1731. , and .
- 2004. Genetic variation increases during biological invasion by a Cuban lizard. Nature 431:177–181. , , , , and .
- 2009. Relationship between phenotypic and genetic diversity of parental genotypes and the specific combining ability and heterosis effects in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Euphytica 165:419–434. , , , and .
- 2007. Increased genetic variation and evolutionary potential drive the success of an invasive grass. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:3883–3888. , and .
- 1989. Phenotypic expressions of polygenes in Muscidifurax raptorellus Hym, Pteromalidae, a synanthropic fly parasitoid. Entomophaga 34:523–530.
- 1993. Theory for quantitative inheritance of behavior in a protelean parasitoid, Muscidifurax raptorellus (Hymenoptera, Pteromalidae). European Journal of Entomology 90:11–21.
- 2006. Assessing risks of releasing exotic biological control agents of arthropod pests. Annual Review of Entomology 51:609–634. , , , , and .
- 2008. Prediction of the heterosis of Laminaria hybrids with the genetic distance between their parental gametophyte clones. Journal of Applied Phycology 20:1097–1102. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Performance of melon hybrids derived from parents of diverse geographic origins. Euphytica 173:1–16. , , , and .
- 1991. The genetic interpretation of inbreeding depression and outbreeding depression. Evolution 45:622–629.
- 1972. Genetic aspects of insect production. Entomophaga 17:27–48.
- 1976. Genetic problems in the production of biological control agents. Annual review of Entomology 21:269–385.
- 2010. Introduction of the African parasitoid Psyttalia lounsburyi in south of France for the classical biological control of Bactrocera oleae: will hybridization affect establishment and population growth? IOBC/WPRS Bulletin 53:49–55. , , , , , , et al.
- 1967. The detection of disease clustering and a generalized regression approach. Cancer Research 27:209–220.
- 2010. Underutilized resources for studying the evolution of invasive species during their introduction, establishment, and lag phases. Evolutionary Applications 3:203–219. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Hybridization between Dactylopius tomentosus (Hemiptera: Dactylopiidae) biotypes and its effects on host specificity. Bulletin of Entomological Research 100:331–338. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Biosystematics of Amblyseius-Andersoni and a-Potentillae (Acarina, Phytoseiidae) – implications for biological-control. Experimental & Applied Acarology 10:267–278. , and .
- 2003. Suppressive effect of the egg parasitoid Trichogramma chilonis Ishii (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae) on the population density of the diamondback moth. Applied Entomology and Zoology 38:79–85.
- 1965. The relationship of heterosis and genetic divergence in maize. Genetics 52:139–144. , , , and .
- 2010a. Fitness of heat and desiccation tolerant hybrid strains of Heterorhabditis bacteriophora (Rhabditidomorpha: Heterorhabditidae). Journal of Pest Science 83:281–287. , , , and .
- 2010b. Improvement of heat and desiccation tolerance in Heterorhabditis bacteriophora through cross-breeding of tolerant strains and successive genetic selection. BioControl 55:511–521. , , , and .
- 2008. Classical biological control: exploiting enemy escape to manage plant invasions. Biological Invasions 10:859–874. , and .
- 2002. Host-plant adaptation drives the parallel evolution of reproductive isolation. Nature 417:440–443. , , and .
- 2000. Speciation by postzygotic isolation: forces, genes and molecules. BioEssays 22:1085–1094. , and .
- 2005. Comparing the estimation properties of different statistics for measuring sexual isolation from mating frequencies. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 85:307–318. , , and .
- 2002. Cold storage of Trichogramma ostriniae reared on Sitotroga cerealella eggs. BioControl 47:525–535. , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2006. Functional response of Trichogramma chilonis to Galleria mellonella and Chilo sacchariphagus eggs. Entomologia Experimentalis Et Applicata 118:229–236. , , , and .
- 2003. Comparisons of genetic and morphological distance with heterosis between Medicago sativa subsp sativa and subsp falcata . Euphytica 131:37–45. , , , , and .
- 2007. Hybridization and the colonization of novel habitats by annual sunflowers. Genetica 129:149–165. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Genes in new environments: genetics and evolution in biological control. Nature Reviews Genetics 4:889–899. , and .
- 2000. Estimating sexual selection and sexual isolation effects from mating frequencies. Evolution 54:30–36. , and .
- 2008. Evidence for multiple sources of invasion and intraspecific hybridization in Brachypodium sylvaticum (Hudson) Beauv. in North America. Molecular Ecology 17:4657–4669. , , and .
- 1981a. Genetic improvement of Metaseiulus occidentalis: selection with methomyl, dimethoate, and carbaryl and genetic analysis of carbaryl resistance. Journal of Economic Entomology 74:138–141. , and .
- 1981b. Laboratory, glasshouse, and field studies of artificially selected carbaryl resstance in Metaseiulus occidentalis . Journal of Economic Entomology 74:142–147. , and .
- 2009. Crop Physiology – Applications for Genetic Improvement and Agronomy. Academic Press, Elsevier Inc. , and , eds.
- 2010. Genetic improvement of the desiccation tolerance and host-seeking ability of the entomopathogenic nematode Steinernema feltiae . Phytoparasitica 38:359–368. , , , and .
- 2011. Large-scale diversity patterns of parasitoid insects. Entomological Science 14:371–382. , and .
- 2011. Applying DNA barcoding for the study of geographical variation in host-parasitoid interactions. Molecular Ecology Resources 11:46–59. , , and .
- 2009. Hybridization and the evolution of invasiveness in plants and other organisms. Biological Invasions 11:1093–1105. , and .
- 2001. Ecology and the origin of species. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:372–380.
- 2008. Evolution of mating isolation between populations of Drosophila ananassae . Molecular Ecology 17:2706–2721. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Genetics for improving biological control agents: the case of entomopathogenic nematodes. Crop Protection 19:685–689. , and .
- 2003. The role of reinforcement in speciation: theory and data. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 34:339–364. , and .
- 1997. Genetic improvement of heat tolerance in Heterorhabditis bacteriophora through hybridization. Biological Control 8:153–159. , , and .
- 2005. Targeted improvement of Steinernema carpocapsae for control of the pecan weevil, Curculio caryae (Horn) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) through hybridization and bacterial transfer. Biological Control 34:215–221. , , and .
- 1996. Biological control with Trichogramma: advances, successes, and potential of their use. Annual Review of Entomology 41:375–406.
- 2004. Genetic improvement of the desiccation tolerance of the entomopathogenic nematode Heterorhabditis bacteriophora through selective breeding. Biological Control 31:218–226. , , , and .
- 2005. Molecular marker genotypes, heterozygosity and genetic interactions explain heterosis in Arabidopsis thaliana . Heredity 94:295–304. , and .
- 2011. Reevaluating establishment and potential hybridization of different biotypes of the biological control agent Longitarsus jacobaeae using molecular tools. Biological Control 58:44–52. , , and .
- 2006. Importance of host oviposition pattern and plant size for the selection of Trichogramma strains to control the diamondback moth. Entomologia Experimentalis Et Applicata 119:47–51. , , , and .
- 2010. Parasitism of different Trichogramma species and strains on Plutella xylostella L. on greenhouse cauliflower. Journal of Pest Science 83:251–256. , , , and .
- 2007. MEGA4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24:1596–1599. , , , and .
- 2006. Comparison of phenotypic and molecular distances to predict heterosis and F1 performance in Ethiopian mustard (Brassica carinata A. Braun). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 112:752–759. , and .
- 2001. Theory and speciation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:330–343. , , and .
- 1993. Population structure, optimal outbreeding, and assortative mating in Angiosperms. In N. W. Thornhill , ed. The Natural History of Inbreeding and Outbreeding, pp. 173–199. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1998. Biological Control of Insect Pests: Southeast Asian Prospects. ACIAR Monograph, No 51, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research, Canberra, Australia.
- 2003. Incidence of a new sex-ratio-distorting endosymbiotic bacterium among arthropods. Proceedings. Biological Sciences/The Royal Society 270:1857–1865. , , and .
- 2005. Genomic compatibility occurs over a wide range of parental genetic similarity in an outcrossing plant. Proceedings. Biological Sciences/The Royal Society 272:1333–1338. , and .
- 2010. Relationship between heterosis and parental genetic distance based on molecular markers for functional genes related to yield traits in rice. Rice Science 17:288–295. , , , , , , et al.