Understanding admixture patterns in supplemented populations: a case study combining molecular analyses and temporally explicit simulations in Atlantic salmon
Version of Record online: 14 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 218–230, February 2013
How to Cite
Perrier, C., Baglinière, J.-L. and Evanno, G. (2013), Understanding admixture patterns in supplemented populations: a case study combining molecular analyses and temporally explicit simulations in Atlantic salmon. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 218–230. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00280.x
- Issue online: 18 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 14 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 2 MAY 2012
- 2001. The problems with hybrids: setting conservation guidelines. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:613–622. , , , and .
- Anonymous 2008. Indice d'Abondance Saumon - Basse-Normandie - Campagne 2008: Fédération de la Manche pour la Pêche et la protection du Milieu Aquatique.
- 2003. Restocking of salmonids - opportunities and limitations. Fisheries Research 62:211–227. , , , , and .
- 2007a. Genetic effects of captive breeding cause a rapid, cumulative fitness decline in the wild. Science 318:100–103. , , and .
- 2007b. Effective population size of steelhead trout: influence of variance in reproductive success, hatchery programs, and genetic compensation between life-history forms. Molecular Ecology 16:953–966. , , , , and .
- 2008. Fitness of hatchery-reared salmonids in the wild. Evolutionary Applications 1:342–355. , , , and .
- 2009. Carry-over effect of captive breeding reduces reproductive fitness of wild-born descendants in the wild. Biology Letters 5:621–624. , , and .
- 2004. Length and age structure modifications of the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) populations of Brittany and Lower Normandy from 1972 to 2002. Technical Report, INRA-CSP, 24 p. , , , , , , and
- 2005. Interannual changes in recruitment of the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) population in the River Oir (Lower Normandy, France): relationships with spawners and in-stream habitat. ICES Journal of Marine Science: Journal du Conseil 62:695–707. , , and .
- 2001. EASYPOP (version 1.7): a computer program for population genetics simulations. Journal of Heredity 92:301–302. .
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 263:1619–1626. , and .
- 1996. GENETIX, logiciel sous WindowsTM pour la génétique des populations. Laboratoire Génome, Populations, Interactions CNRS UMR 5000. Université de Montpellier II. , , , , and .
- 2008. An integrated comparison of captive-bred and wild Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): implications for supportive breeding programs. Biological Conservation 141:1989–1999. , , , and .
- 2011. Temporal change in genetic integrity suggests loss of local adaptation in a wild Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) population following introgression by farmed escapees. Heredity 106:500–510. , , , , and .
- 2008. Introgression and genetic structure in northern Spanish Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) populations according to mtDNA data. Conservation Genetics 9:157–169. , , and .
- 2004. SPLATCHE: a program to simulate genetic diversity taking into account environmental heterogeneity. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:139–142. , , and .
- 2008. The hidden side of invasions: massive introgression by local genes. Evolution 62:1908–1920. , , , and .
- 2004. Reproductive success of hatchery-produced and wild-born brown trout in an experimental stream. Journal of Applied Ecology 41:355–364. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Variability of demographic parameters and population dynamics of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in a southwest French river. Ices Journal of Marine Science 60:356–370. , and .
- 1996. Rapid one-tube DNA extraction for reliable PCR detection of fish polymorphic markers and transgenes. Molecular Marine Biology and Biotechnology 5:295–298. , , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2008. Assessing the long-term genetic impact of historical stocking events on contemporary populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar . Fisheries Management and Ecology 15:315–326. , and .
- 2010. Rapid spread of invasive genes into a threatened native species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107:3606–3610. , , , , , and .
- 2008. A global assessment of salmon aquaculture impacts on wild salmonids. Plos Biology 6:411–417. , and .
- 2008. How well can captive breeding programs conserve biodiversity? A review of salmonids. Evolutionary Applications 1:535–586. .
- 2008. Mixed evidence for reduced local adaptation in wild salmon resulting from interbreeding with escaped farmed salmon: complexities in hybrid fitness. Evolutionary Applications 1:501–512. , , , , and .
- 2011. Extent and scale of local adaptation in salmonid fishes: review and meta-analysis. Heredity 106:404–420. , , , , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. FSTAT (Version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486. .
- 2009. Fine-scale genetic structure of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) using microsatellite markers: effects of restocking and natural recolonization. Freshwater Biology 54:417–433. , , , and .
- 2006. Nemo: an evolutionary and population genetics programming framework. Bioinformatics 22:2556–2557. , and .
- 2002. Estimating the long-term effects of stocking domesticated trout into wild brown trout (Salmo trutta) populations: an approach using microsatellite DNA analysis of historical and contemporary samples. Molecular Ecology 11:1003–1015. .
- 2009. Admixture analysis of stocked brown trout populations using mapped microsatellite DNA markers: indigenous trout persist in introgressed populations. Biology Letters 5:656–659. , and .
- 2009. Sixty years of anthropogenic pressure: a spatio-temporal genetic analysis of brown trout populations subject to stocking and population declines. Molecular Ecology 18:2549–2562. , , , and .
- 2012. Computer simulations: tools for population and evolutionary genetics. Nature Reviews Genetics 13:110–122. , , and .
- 2003a. Atlantic salmon straying from the River Imsa. Journal of Fish Biology 62:641–657. , , and .
- 2003b. The marine survival and growth of wild and hatchery-reared Atlantic salmon. Journal of Applied Ecology 40:900–911. , , and .
- 2006. Bayesian analyses of admixture in wild and domestic cats (Felis silvestris) using linked microsatellite loci. Molecular Ecology 15:119–131. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Spatio-temporal genetic structuring of brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) populations within the River Luga, northwest Russia. Conservation Genetics 10:281–289. , , , , and .
- 2001. The road to extinction is paved with good intentions: negative association of fish hatcheries with threatened salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 268:1153–1158. , , and .
- 2010. Loss of genetic integrity correlates with stocking intensity in brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis). Molecular Ecology 19:2025–2037. , , and .
- 2003. Fitness reduction and potential extinction of wild populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, as a result of interactions with escaped farm salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 270:2443–2450. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Impact of naturally spawning captive-bred Atlantic salmon on wild populations: depressed recruitment and increased risk of climate-mediated extinction. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 276:3601–3610. , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Estimation of average heterozygosity and genetic distance from a small number of individuals. Genetics 89:583–590. .
- 1983. Accuracy of estimated phylogenetic trees from molecular-data and gene-frequency data. Journal of Molecular Evolution 19:153–170. , , and .
- 2008. Waking the dead: the value of population genetic analyses of historical samples. Fish and Fisheries 9:450–461. , and .
- 2006. HYBRIDLAB (version 1.0): a program for generating simulated hybrids from population samples. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:971–973. , , and .
- 2007. Population structure and gene flow reversals in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) over contemporary and long-term temporal scales: effects of population size and life history. Molecular Ecology 16:4504–4522. , , and .
- 2007. Straying of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, from delayed and coastal releases in the Baltic Sea, with special focus on the Swedish west coast. Fisheries Management and Ecology 14:21–32. , , , , and .
- 2010. Natural recolonization of the Seine River by Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) of multiple origins. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 67:1–4. , , , , and .
- 2011a. Determinants of hierarchical genetic structure in Atlantic salmon populations: environmental factors versus anthropogenic influences. Molecular Ecology 20:4231–4245. , , , and .
- 2011b. Coupling genetic and otolith trace element analyses to identify river-born fish with hatchery pedigrees in stocked Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) populations. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 68:977–987. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1993. A review of homing and straying of wild and hatchery-produced salmon. Fisheries Research 18:29–44. .
- 2009. Tales from scales: old DNA yields insights into contemporary evolutionary processes affecting fishes. Molecular Ecology 18:2545–2546. , and .
- 2008. Detecting hybridization between wild species and their domesticated relatives. Molecular Ecology 17:285–293. .
- 2008. High genetic introgression in alpine brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) populations from Hardangervidda, Norway. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 17:174–183. , , and .
- 2010. Survival and life history characteristics among wild and hatchery coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) returns: how do unfed fry differ from smolt releases? Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 67:486–497. , , and .
- 2011. Reduced reproductive success of hatchery coho salmon in the wild: insights into most likely mechanisms. Molecular Ecology 20:1860–1869. , , , , and .
- 2009. Microsatellites reveal clear genetic boundaries among Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) populations from the Barents and White seas, northwest Russia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 66:717–735. , , , , and .
- 2010. Population genetics of south European Atlantic salmon under global change. Global Change Biology 16:36–47. , , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2001. Identification of the origin of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) population in a recently recolonized river in the Baltic Sea. Molecular Ecology 10:2877–2882. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Population structure in the Atlantic salmon: insights from 40 years of research into genetic protein variation. Journal of Fish Biology 67:3–54. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Minimizing genetic adaptation in captive breeding programs: a review. Biological Conservation 142:2388–2400. , and .
- 2011. Hybridization and restricted gene flow between native and introduced stocks of Alpine whitefish (Coregonus sp.) across multiple environments. Molecular Ecology 20:456–472. , , , and .