Evolved polygenic herbicide resistance in Lolium rigidum by low-dose herbicide selection within standing genetic variation
Article first published online: 12 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 231–242, February 2013
How to Cite
Busi, R., Neve, P. and Powles, S. (2013), Evolved polygenic herbicide resistance in Lolium rigidum by low-dose herbicide selection within standing genetic variation. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 231–242. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00282.x
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 12 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 2 MAR 2012
- Grains Research and Development Corporation of Australia (GRDC)
- Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation (RIRDC) under the National Weeds and Productivity Program
- 2011. Gene amplification and insecticide resistance. Pest Management Science 67:886–890. , and .
- 2007. Identification of Arabidopsis thaliana variants with differential glyphosate responses. Journal of Plant Physiology 164:1337–1345. , , , and .
- 2009. Evolution of glyphosate resistance in a Lolium rigidum population by glyphosate selection at sub-lethal doses. Heredity 103:318–325. , and .
- 2011. Reduced sensitivity to paraquat evolves under selection with low glyphosate doses in Lolium rigidum. Agronomy for Sustainable Development 31:525–531. , and .
- 2011a. Gene flow increases the initial frequency of herbicide resistance alleles in unselected Lolium rigidum populations. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 142:403–409. , , , and .
- 2011b. Genetic control of cytochrome P450-based enhanced herbicide metabolism in a Lolium rigidum population. Heredity 106:817–824. , , and .
- 1991. Cross-resistance to herbicides in annual ryegrass (Lolium rigidum) II. chlorsulfuron resistance involves a wheat-like detoxification system. Plant Physiology 95:1036–1043. , , , and .
- 1994. Malathion antagonizes metabolism-based chlorsulfuron resistance in Lolium rigidum. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology 49:172–182. , , and .
- 1994. Genetics of Herbicide Resistance in Weeds and Crops. In S. B. Powles, and J. A. M. Holtum, eds. Herbicide Resistance in Plants: Biology and Biochemistry, pp. 263–298. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2005. Weed resistance to acetyl coenzyme A carboxylase inhibitors: an update. Weed Science 53:728–746.
- 1981. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 2nd edn. Longman, London, UK. .
- 2004. The genetics and genomics of insecticide resistance. Trends in Genetics 20:163–170. , , and .
- 2010. Gene amplification confers glyphosate resistance in Amaranthus palmeri. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 107:1029–1034. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Genetics, adaptation, and invasion in harsh environments. Evolutionary Applications 3:97–108. , , , and .
- 2012. International survey of herbicide resistant weeds. http://www.weedscience.org (accessed on 15 August 2011).
- 1996. The evolution and genetics of herbicide resistance in weeds. Weed Science 44:176–193. , , and .
- 1981. The minimum number of geners contributing to quantitative variation between and within populations. Genetics 99:541–553.
- 2001. Inheritance of fenoxaprop-P-ethyl resistance in a blackgrass (Alopecurus myosuroides Huds.) population. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 103:288–296. , and .
- 2011. Rapid evolution of herbicide resistance by low herbicide dosages. Weed Science 59:210–217. , , , and .
- 2012. Simulation modelling identifies polygenic basis of herbicide resistance in a weed population and predicts rapid evolution of herbicide resistance at low herbicide rates. Crop Protection 40:114–120. , , , , and .
- 1982. Components of means: additive and dominance effects. In K. Mather and J. L. Jinks, eds. Biometrical Genetics, pp. 71–76. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, N.Y. , and .
- 2005. Recurrent selection with reduced herbicide rates results in the rapid evolution of herbicide resistance in Lolium rigidum. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 110:1154–1166. , and .
- 2009. Evolutionary-thinking in agricultural weed management. New Phytologist 184:783–793. , , and .
- 2006. Crop losses to pests. Journal of Agricultural Science 144:31–43. .
- 2010. Current statistical issues in Weed Research. Weed Research 50:5–24. , , , , and .
- 1992. The genetics of adaptation: a reassessment. The American Naturalist 140:725–742. , and .
- 2001. Evolution – humans as the world's greatest evolutionary force. Science 293:1786–1790. .
- 2010a. Prevalence of cross- or multiple resistance to the acetyl-coenzyme A carboxylase inhibitors fenoxaprop, clodinafop and pinoxaden in black-grass (Alopecurus myosuroides Huds.) in France. Pest Management Science 66:168–177. , , , and .
- 2010b. Complex genetic control of non-target-site-based resistance to herbicides inhibiting acetyl-coenzyme A carboxylase and acetolactate-synthase in Alopecurus myosuroides Huds. Plant Science 178:501–509. , , , and .
- 1998. QU-GENE: a simulation platform for quantitative analysis of genetic models. Bioinformatics 14:632–653. , and .
- 2010. Evolution in action: plants resistant to herbicides. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61:317–347. , and .
- 2003. Inheritance and linkage of metabolism-based herbicide cross-resistance in rigid ryegrass (Lolium rigidum). Weed Science 51:4–12. .
- 1998. Amitrole inhibits diclofop metabolism and synergises diclofop-methyl in a diclofop-methyl-resistant biotype of Lolium rigidum. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology 62:179–189. , and .
- 1996. Multiple resistance to dissimilar herbicide chemistries in a biotype of Lolium rigidum due to enhanced activity of several herbicide degrading enzymes. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology 54:123–134. , , , and .
- 2004. A role for glutathione S-transferases in resistance to herbicides in grasses. Weed Science 52:468–474. , , and .
- 1987. Ecological genetics of insecticide and acaricide resistance. Annual Review of Entomology 32:361–380. , and .
- 2009. Bacterial gene amplification: implications for the evolution of antibiotic resistance. Nature Reviews Microbiology 7:578–588. , and .
- 1969. Biometry. W.H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco. , and .
- 2001. Determining the mode of inheritance of pesticide resistance with backcross experiments. Journal of Economic Entomology 84:703–712. .
- 1993. Occurrence of a herbicide-resistant acetyl-coenzyme-a carboxylase mutant in annual ryegrass (Lolium rigidum) selected by sethoxydim. Planta 190:176–181. , , and .
- 2011. Evolution in agriculture: the application of evolutionary approaches to the management of biotic interactions in agro-ecosystems. Evolutionary Applications 4:200–215. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Cytochromes P450 for engineering herbicide tolerance. Trends in Plant Science 5:116–123. , , and .
- 2007. Diversity of acetyl-coenzyme a carboxylase mutations in resistant Lolium populations: evaluation using clethodim. Plant Physiology 145:547–558. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Mutations of the ALS gene endowing resistance to ALS-inhibiting herbicides in Lolium rigidum populations. Pest Management Science 64:1229–1236. , , and .
- 2007. Non-target-site herbicide resistance: a family business. Trends in Plant Science 12:6–13. , , and .