Genetic variation and risks of introgression in the wild Coffea arabica gene pool in south-western Ethiopian montane rainforests
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 243–252, February 2013
Total views since publication: 757
How to Cite
Aerts, R., Berecha, G., Gijbels, P., Hundera, K., Van Glabeke, S., Vandepitte, K., Muys, B., Roldán-Ruiz, I. and Honnay, O. (2013), Genetic variation and risks of introgression in the wild Coffea arabica gene pool in south-western Ethiopian montane rainforests. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 243–252. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00285.x
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 31 JAN 2012
- University Development Cooperation of the Flemish Interuniversity Council (VLIR-UOS)
- 2011. Semi-forest coffee cultivation and the conservation of Ethiopian Afromontane rainforest fragments. Forest Ecology and Management 261:1034–1041. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Predictable waves of sequential forest degradation and biodiversity loss spreading from an African city. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107:14556–14561. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Genetic diversity of wild coffee (Coffea arabica L.) using molecular markers. Euphytica 118:53–65. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. The origin of cultivated Coffea arabica L. varieties revealed by AFLP and SSR markers. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 104:894–900. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Populations of weedy crop–wild hybrid beets show contrasting variation in mating system and population genetic structure. Evolutionary Applications 3:305–318. , , , and .
- 2011. Gene flow between wheat and wild relatives: empirical evidence from Aegilops geniculata, Ae. neglecta and Ae. triuncialis . Evolutionary Applications 4:685–695. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Effects of pollination distance on reproduction and offspring performance in Hypochoeris radicata: experiments with plants from three European regions. Biological Conservation 132:109–118. , , and .
- 2009. Introgression from modern hybrid varieties into landrace populations of maize (Zea mays ssp mays L.) in central Italy. Molecular Ecology 18:603–621. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Resistance to Meloidogyne paranaensis in wild Coffea arabica . Tropical Plant Pathology 34:38–41. , , , , and .
- 2011. POLYSAT: an R package for polyploid microsatellite analysis. Molecular Ecology Resources 11:562–566. , and .
- 2003. Genetic variation in the endangered wild apple (Malus sylvestris (L.) Mill.) in Belgium as revealed by amplified fragment length polymorphism and microsatellite markers. Molecular Ecology 12:845–857. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Genetic diversity of wild grapevine populations in Spain and their genetic relationships with cultivated grapevines. Molecular Ecology 21:800–816. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Deforestation driven by urban population growth and agricultural trade in the twenty-first century. Nature Geoscience 3:178–181. , , , and .
- 2012. Gene flow among wild and domesticated almond species: insights from chloroplast and nuclear markers. Evolutionary Applications 5:317–329. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Field guide to Ethiopian orchids, Kew Field Guide. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. , , and .
- 2008. Genetic diversity and correlation of bean caffeine content with cup quality and green bean physical characteristics in coffee (Coffea arabica L.). Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 88:1726–1730. , , , and .
- 2010. Plant mating systems in a changing world. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 25:35–43. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Dangerous liaisons? When cultivated plants mate with their wild relatives. John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore.
- 1999. Gene flow and introgression from domesticated plants into their wild relatives. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 30:539–563. , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2007. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: dominant markers and null alleles. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:574–578. , , and .
- 2006. Natural genetic variation for improving crop quality. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9:196–202. , , and .
- 1994. Honeybee flora of Ethiopia. The National Herbarium, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa and Deutscher Entwicklungsdienst (DED) Margraf Verlag, Weichersheim, Germany. , and eds .
- 2011. Solutions for a cultivated planet. Nature 478:337–342. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Crop wild relatives-undervalued, underutilized and under threat? BioScience 61:559–565. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Forests and forest trees of northeast tropical Africa—their natural habitats and distribution patterns in Ethiopia, Djibouti and Somalia. Kew Bulletin Additional Series 15:1–396.
- 2008. Floristic composition and environmental factors characterizing coffee forests in southwest Ethiopia. Forest Ecology and Management 255:2138–2150. , , , and .
- 2009. A powerful regression-based method for admixture mapping of isolation across the genome of hybrids. Molecular Ecology 18:1207–1224. , and .
- 2010. INTROGRESS: a software package for mapping components of isolation in hybrids. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:378–384. , and .
- 2004. Unused natural variation can lift yield barriers in plant breeding. PLoS Biology 2:1610–1615. , and .
- 2003. Flora of Ethiopia and Eritrea. Volume 4, part 1. Apiaceae to Dipsacaceae. The National Herbarium, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa and The Department of Systematic Botany, Uppsala University, Uppsala. , , and , eds.
- 2006. The economic value of coffee (Coffea arabica) genetic resources. Ecological Economics 60:176–185. , and .
- 2007. Conservation and sustainable use of crop wild relatives. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 121:245–255. , , , , and .
- 1999. Plant genetic resources: what can they contribute toward increased crop productivity? Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 96:5937–5943. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Susceptibility of common and rare plant species to the genetic consequences of habitat fragmentation. Conservation Biology 21:823–831. , and .
- 2005. Forest fragmentation effects on patch occupancy and population viability of herbaceous plant species. New Phytologist 166:723–736. , , , and .
- 2012. Crop wild relatives: more common ground for breeders and ecologists. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10:121. , , and .
- 2007. Modelling the long-term consequences of crop-wild relative hybridization: a case study using four generations of hybrids. Journal of Applied Ecology 44:1035–1045. , , , and .
- 1993. RAPD variation within and among populations of outcrossing buffalograss (Buchloe dactyloides (Nutt.) Engelm). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 86:927–934. , , and .
- 2007. CLUMPP: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23:1801–1806. , and .
- 2011. Some like it hot: the influence and implications of climate change on coffee berry borer (Hypothenemus hampei) and coffee production in East Africa. PLoS ONE 6(9):0000. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Bee pollination and fruit set of Coffea arabica and C. canephora (Rubiaceae). American Journal of Botany 90:153–157. , , and .
- 2008. Advances in pollination ecology from tropical plantation crops. Ecology 89:935–943. , , , and .
- 2011. Transgene introgression in crop relatives: molecular evidence and mitigation strategies. Trends in Biotechnology 29:284–293. , , , and .
- 2008. Current status of coffee (Coffea arabica L.) genetic resources in Ethiopia: implications for conservation. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 55:1079–1093. , , , and .
- 1996. Genetic diversity for RAPD markers between cultivated and wild accessions of Coffea arabica . Euphytica 87:59–64. , , , , and .
- 1999. Molecular characterisation and origin of the Coffea arabica L. genome. Molecular and General Genetics 261:259–266. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Molecular analysis of introgressive breeding in coffee (Coffea arabica L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 100:139–146. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Breeding coffee (Coffea arabica) for sustainable production. In M. Jain , and P. M. Priyadarshan , eds. Breeding Plantation Tree Crops: Tropical Species, pp. 525–544. Springer, New York. , , and .
- 2011. Analysis of alien introgression in coffee tree (Coffea arabica L.). Molecular Breeding 27:223–232. , , , , and .
- 2009. Analysis of genetic structure in a sample of coffee (Coffea arabica L.) using fluorescent SSR markers. Tree Genetics and Genomes 5:435–446. , , , and .
- 2006. Towards a definition of a crop wild relative. Biodiversity and Conservation 15:2673–2685. , , , , and .
- 2007. Creation and use of a national inventory of crop wild relatives. Biological Conservation 140:142–159. , , , and .
- 2010. The evolutionary ecology of clonally propagated domesticated plants. New Phytologist 186:318–332. , , , and .
- 2004. In situ conservation of crop wild relatives: status and trends. Biodiversity and Conservation 13:663–684. , and .
- 2010. Evolutionary response of landraces to climate change in centers of crop diversity. Evolutionary Applications 3:480–493. , and .
- 2011. From forest to field: perennial fruit crop domestication. American Journal of Botany 98:1389–1414. , and .
- 2010. Conserving and enhancing maize genetic resources as global public goods-a perspective from CIMMYT. Crop Science 50:13–28. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Asymmetry of gene flow and differential geographical structure of molecular diversity in wild and domesticated common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) from Mesoamerica. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 106:239–250. , and .
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2010. Documentation for structure software: Version 2.3. Available from http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/structure.html. , , and .
- 2009. Wild coffee management and plant diversity in the montane rainforest of southwestern Ethiopia. African Journal of Ecology 48:78–86. , , , , and .
- 2006. Effects of wild coffee management on species diversity in the Afromontane rainforests of Ethiopia. Forest Ecology and Management 232:68–74. , and .
- 2007. Genetic diversity and structure of Ethiopian, Yemen and Brazilian Coffea arabica L. accessions using microsatellites markers. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 54:1367–1379. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. The temporal development in a hybridizing population of wild and cultivated chicory (Cichorium intybus L.). Molecular Ecology 16:3292–3298. , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic approaches to crop improvement: responding to environmental and population changes. Nature Reviews Genetics 9:444–457. , and .
- 2010. Breeding technologies to increase crop production in a changing world. Science 327:818–822. , and .
- 2010. ATETRA, a new software program to analyse tetraploid microsatellite data: comparison with TETRA and TETRASAT. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:331–334. , , and .
- 1996. The population genetic consequences of habitat fragmentation for plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 11:413–418. , , and .