A resurrection study reveals rapid adaptive evolution within populations of an invasive plant
Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 266–278, February 2013
How to Cite
Sultan, S. E., Horgan-Kobelski, T., Nichols, L. M., Riggs, C. E. and Waples, R. K. (2013), A resurrection study reveals rapid adaptive evolution within populations of an invasive plant. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 266–278. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00287.x
- Issue online: 18 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 DEC 2011
- 1988. The effects of zinc contamination from electricity pylons – evolution in a replicated situation. New Phytologist 110:571–580. , , and .
- 2002. The relative advantages of plasticity and fixity in different environments: when is it good to adjust? Evolutionary Ecology 16:285–297. , and .
- 2003. Polygonaceae. In W. ZhengYi, P. H. Raven, and H. DeYuan, eds. Flora of China 5 (Ulmaceae Through Basellaceae), p. 292. Flora of China Editorial Committee, Missouri Botanical Garden, St. Louis. , , , , , , et al.
- 1971. Heavy metal tolerance in plants. Advances in Ecological Research 7:1–85. , , and .
- 2001. Pattern and process: evidence for the evolution of photosynthetic traits in natural populations. Oecologia 127:455–467. , and .
- 1999. Dynamic phenotypic plasticity for root growth in Polygonum: a comparative study. American Journal of Botany 86:807–819. , and .
- 1994. Seeds: Physiology of Development and Germination. Plenum Press, New York, NY. , and
- 2004. The evolution of an invasive plant: an experimental study of Silene latifolia. Ecology 85:3035–3042. , and .
- 1995. Evolution of increased competitive ability in invasive nonindigenous plants: a hypothesis. Journal of Ecology 83:887–889. , and .
- 2001. Trends and rates of microevolution in plants. Genetica 112-113:165–182. , and .
- 2005. Phenotypic and genetic differentiation between native and introduced populations. Oecologia 144:1–11. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Selection of preadapted populations allowed Senecio inaequidens to invade Central Europe. Diversity and Distributions 14:676–685. , , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary response to rapid climate change. Science 312:1477–1478. , and .
- 1996. Short-term evolution of reduced dispersal in island plant populations. Journal of Ecology 84:53–61. , and .
- 2010. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in response to anthropogenic disturbance. Evolutionary Ecology Research 12:47–66. , , , , , , .
- 1995. A rapid change in ozone resistance in Plantago major after summers with high ozone concentrations. New Phytologist 131:337–344. , and .
- 2001. Adaptive divergence in plasticity in natural populations of Impatiens capensis and its consequences for performance in novel habitats. Evolution 55:692–702. , , , , and .
- 2005. The Ecology of Seeds. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 2000. Optimum experimental design for Free-Air Carbon dioxide Enrichment (FACE) studies. Global Change Biology 6:843–854. , , and .
- 2002. Environmental Physiology of Plants, 3rd edn. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , and .
- 2007. Rapid evolution of flowering time by an annual plant in response to a climate fluctuation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 104:1278–1282. , , and .
- 2008. The resurrection initiative: storing ancestral genotypes to capture evolution in action. BioScience 58:870–873. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Inheritance and natural selection on functional traits. International Journal of Plant Sciences 164:S21–S42. , and .
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Functional Ecology 21:394–407. , , , and .
- 1999. Rapid evolution revealed by dormant eggs. Nature 401:446. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Amplification of DNA from preserved specimens shows blowflies were preadapted for the rapid evolution of insecticide resistance. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 103:8757–8762. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53:1637–1653. , and .
- 2004. Population differentiation and plastic responses to drought stress in the generalist annual Polygonum persicaria. International Journal of Plant Sciences 165:817–824. , , , and .
- 1997. Mutational collapse of fitness in marginal habitats and the evolution of ecological specialization. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 10:407–429. , , and .
- 2009. Adaptation and colonization history affect the evolution of clines in two introduced species. New Phytologist 183:678–690. , , , , and .
- 2008. Allopolyploid speciation in Persicaria (Polygonaceae): insights from a low-copy nuclear region. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105:12370–12375. , , and .
- 2007. Increased genetic variation and evolutionary potential drive the success of an invasive grass. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 104:3883–3888. , and .
- 1988. Assessing the contributions of multiple interacting traits to plant reproductive success: environmental dependence. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 1:255–273. , and .
- 2002. Evolutionary genetics of invasive species. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17:386–391.
- 2008. Evolutionary origins of invasive populations. Evolutionary Applications 1:427–448. , and .
- 2003. Evolution of physiological tolerance and performance during freshwater invasions. Integrative and Comparative Biology 43:439–449. , , and .
- 1991. Long-term experimental evolution in Escherichia coli. I. Adaptation and divergence during 2,000 generations. American Naturalist 138:1315–1341. , , , and .
- 2009. Flowering-time plasticity facilitates niche shifts in adjacent populations. New Phytologist 183:661–666.
- 2004. Rapid evolution of an invasive plant. Ecological Monographs 74:261–280. , , , , and .
- 2010. Global change and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1206:35–55. , , and .
- 2003. IPANE: Invasive Plant Atlas of New England. Available at http://nbii-nin.ciesin.columbia.edu/ipane/(accessed on 20 July 2010). , Jr, , , and .
- 2011. The role of developmental plasticity in evolutionary innovation. Proceedings of the Royal Society (London) Series B 278:2705–13. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The evolutionary impact of invasive species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 98:5446–5451. , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37:637–669.
- 2000. Range expansion of Polygonum caespitosum var. longisetum in the United States. Bartonia 60:57–69.
- 2004. Adapting to an invasive species: toxic cane toads induce morphological change in Australian snakes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 49:17150–17155. , and .
- 2003. Genetic and plastic responses of a northern mammal to climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society (London) Series B 270:591–596. , , , and .
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptations: what empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica 112:183–198. , and .
- 2006. Jack of all trades, master of some?On the role of phenotypic plasticity in plant invasions. Ecology Letters 9:981–993. , , , , and .
- 2001. The population biology of invasive species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32:305–332. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Natural selection on ecophysiological traits of a fern species in a temperate rainforest. Evolutionary Ecology 21:651–662. , , , and .
- 2007. Ecological and evolutionary insights from species invasion. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22:465–471. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Deteriorative Changes Associated with the Loss of Viability of Stored Desiccation-Tolerant and Desiccation-Sensitive Seeds. In J. Kigel, and G. Galili, eds. Seed Development and Germination, pp. 701–746. Marcel Dekker, New York, NY. , and .
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity for fitness components in Polygonum species of contrasting ecological breadth. Ecology 82:328–343.
- 2004. Promising directions in plant phenotypic plasticity. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 6:227–233.
- 2007. Development in context: the timely emergence of eco-devo. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22:575–581.
- 1998a. Physiological response to complex environments in annual Polygonum species of contrasting ecological breadth. Oecologia 115:564–578. , , , and .
- 1998b. Contrasting ecological breadth of co-occurring annual Polygonum species. Journal of Ecology 86:363–383. , , , and .
- 2003. Developmental Plasticity and Evolution. Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
- 1999. Biostatistical Analysis, 4th edn. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.