Linkage disequilibrium and effective population size when generations overlap
Article first published online: 8 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 290–302, February 2013
How to Cite
Robinson, J. D. and Moyer, G. R. (2013), Linkage disequilibrium and effective population size when generations overlap. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 290–302. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00289.x
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 8 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAY 2012
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service
- 2005. SPIP 1.0: a program for simulating pedigrees and genetic data I age-structured populations. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:459–461. , and .
- 1999. Effective population sizes: missing measures and missing concepts. Animal Conservation 2:317–319. , , and .
- 2005. Genetics and extinction. Biological Conservation 126:131–140.
- 2011. Understanding and estimating effective population size for practical application in marine species management. Conservation Biology 25:438–449. , , , , , , et al.
- 1972. Effective size of populations with overlapping generations. Theoretical Population Biology 3:278–289.
- 1979. A note on effective population size with overlapping generations. Genetics 92:317–322.
- 1995. Temporal allele frequency change and estimation of effective size in populations with overlapping generations. Genetics 139:1077–1090. , and .
- 1979. Allozymic variation and linkage disequilibrium in some laboratory populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 92:1295–1314. , and .
- 2008. Preliminary Population Viability Analysis for the Fat Threeridge Mussel (Amblema neislerii). Final report. IUCN/SSC Conservation Breeding Specialist Group, Apple Valley, MN, 21 pp.
- 2012. Past and present processes influencing genetic diversity and effective population size in a natural population of Atlantic sturgeon. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 141:56–67. , , and .
- 1991. The influence of age structure and fecundity on effective population size. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 246:71–76.
- 1993. The influence of mating system and overlapping generations on effective population size. Evolution 47:1329–1341.
- 2008. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: what can they tell us about the importance of genetic stochasticity for wild population persistence? Molecular Ecology 17:3428–3447. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. ver. 2.14.2 R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, http://www.R-project.org
- 2005. Estimation of effective population sizes from data on genetic markers. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 360:1395–1409.
- 2010. Estimation of parameters of inbreeding and genetic drift in populations with overlapping generations. Evolution 64:1704–1718. , , , , and .
- 1989. A generalized approach for estimating effective population size from temporal changes in allele frequency. Genetics 121:379–391.
- 1991. Genetic methods for estimating the effective size of cetacean populations. Reports of the International Whaling Commission 13:279–300.
- 2005. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: to what time periods do the estimates apply? Molecular Ecology 14:3335–3352.
- 2010. Spatial-temporal stratifications in natural populations and how they affect understanding and estimation of effective population size. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:785–796.
- 2008. LDNE: a program for estimating effective population size from data on linkage disequilibrium. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:753–756. , and .
- 2010. Linkage disequilibrium estimates of contemporary Ne using highly variable genetic markers: a largely untapped resource for applied conservation and evolution. Evolutionary Applications 3:244–262. , and .
- 2007. Temporal estimates of effective population size in species with overlapping generations. Genetics 175:219–233. , and .
- 2011. Calculating Ne and Ne/N in age-structured populations: a hybrid Felsenstein-Hill approach. Ecology 92:1513–1522. , , and .
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics 16:97–159.