Using photographs and narratives to contextualise and map the experience of caring for a person with dementia
Version of Record online: 19 AUG 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness
Volume 1, Issue 3, pages 215–228, September 2009
How to Cite
Hibberd, P., Keady, J., Reed, J. and Lemmer, B. (2009), Using photographs and narratives to contextualise and map the experience of caring for a person with dementia. Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness, 1: 215–228. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-9824.2009.01024.x
- Issue online: 19 AUG 2009
- Version of Record online: 19 AUG 2009
- Submitted for publication: 9 March 2009 Accepted for publication: 31 May 2009
- Alzheimer Australia (2007) Dementia: A Major Health Problem for Indigenous People. Paper 12. http://www.alzheimers.org.au accessed via google 02/03/09.
- Alzheimer’s Society (2007) Dementia Report. Alzheimer’s society, London.
- 1995) Profiles in Caregiving. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , , & (
- 2006) Capturing the Huntington’s disease spousal carer experience: a preliminary investigation using the ‘Photovoice’ method. Dementia 5, 95–116. Sage Publications. & (
- Audit Commission (2000) Forget Me Not: Mental Health Services for Older People. Audit Commissionm, London.
- Audit Commission (2002b) For Get Me Not 2002: Developing mental health services for older people in England. Audit Commission, London.
- Australian Government (2006) National Framework for Action on Dementia. http://www.health.gov.au/interent/main/publishing.nsf/Content/D648D892C6FDD167CA2572180007E717/$File/nfad.pdf accessed via google 02/03/09.
- 1994) Sociology and Visual Representation. Routledge, London. (
- 1999) Family care-giving for people with dementia: some implications for policy and professional practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing 29, 712–720. (
- 2001) Family Nursing Network: Scottish initiative to support family care. British Journal of Nursing 10, 1142–1147. , & (
- 1996) Parent participation: a concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing 23, 733–740. (
- Department of Health (2001) National Service Framework for older People: Modern Standards and Service Models. HMSO, London.
- Department of Health (2005a) A New Ambition for Old Age. Next Steps in implementing the National Service Framework for older People. A Resource Document, HMSO, London.
- Department of Health (2005b) The Mental Capacity Act. HMSO, London.
- Department of Health (2007) Our Health Our Say. HMSO, London.
- Department of Health (2009) Living Well With Dementia: A National Dementia Strategy. HMSO, London.
- 1938) Family Care of Mental Defectives. From a discussion by Dr. Edgar A. Doll of a paper entitled, “A visit to a French Family Care Colony”. Full reference: Edgar, A. Doll & Geraldine Longwell (1938). Social Competence of Feeble-minded in Family Care. Proceedings of the American Association on Mental Deficiency 43, 211–216. (
- 1978) The McMaster Model of Family Functioning. Journal of Marriage and Family Counselling 4, 19–31. , & (
- 2004) Re-thinking family-centred care across the continuum of children’s healthcare. Child: Care, Health and Development 30, 3, 265–277. & (
- 1996) Seeing sociology. American Sociologist 57, No. 3, 69–78. (
- 2002) Seeing health and illness worlds – using visual methodologies in a sociology of health and illness: a methodological review. Sociology of Health & Illness 24, No. 6 856–872. (
- 2005) ‘We do things together’: a case study of ‘couplehood’ in dementia. Dementia 4, 7–22. , & (
- 2007) Sustaining ‘couplehood’: Spouses’ strategies for living positively with dementia. Dementia 6, 383–409. , & (
- 2008) A family-centred approach to dementia care. Journal of Dementia Care 16, 26–27. , , & (
- 1983) ‘Home Care versus institutionalization: family caregiving and senile brain disease. Journal of Nursing Studies 20, 23–32. (
- 1981) Families living and coping with the cognitively impaired. In Care of the Ageing: Recent Advances in Nursing (CoppLA ed.). Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp. 159–167. (
- 2003) The dynamics of dementia: Working together; working separately, or working alone? In Partnerships in Family Care: Understanding the Caregiving Carer (NolanMR, LundhU, KeadyJ & GrantG, eds). University Press, Buckingham, pp. 15–32. & (
- 2008) Forgetting and the memory of forgetting: The material and symbolic role of memory in the intersubjective lives of people with AIDS dementia. Dementia 7, 451–461. (
- 1974) Families and Family Therapy. Routledge, London. (
- 1996) Understanding Family Care. University Press, Buckingham. , & (
- 2006) Image-based Research: a source book for qualitative researchers. Routledge Falmer Taylor Francis Group, London and New York, p. 247. (
- 2007) Enhancing the contribution of visual methods to inclusive education. Journal of Research in Special Educational Needs 7, No. 1, 55–68. & (
- 2007) Appreciative Inquiry Research for Change. SAGE Publications, London. (
- 2004) Bringing relationships into the heart of dementia care. Journal of Dementia Care 12, 22–24. (
- 1976) One flesh: Separate Persons. Constable, London. (
- 2003) Admiral Nurses: a model of family assessment and intervention. In Community Mental Health Nursing and Dementia Care Practice Perspectives (KeadyJ, ClarkeC & AdamsT eds). Open University Press, Philadelphia, pp. 171–185. (
- 2008) Mutuality of the marital relationship in Parkinson’s disease. Movement Disorders published on line 29 August 2008 http://www3.interscience.wiley.com accessed via Google 23/09/2008. , , , , , & (
- 2006) An Estimate of the Worldwide Prevalence and Direct Costs of Dementia in 2003. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders 21, 175–181. , & (
- 2001) Adapting visual methods: action research with Kampala street children. Area - Institute of British Geographers 33(pt. 2), 141–152. & (
- 1982) Families under stress: interventions for caregivers of senile dementia patients. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 19, 461–471. & (
- 1985) The hidden victims of Alzheimer’s disease. Families Under Stress. New York Press, New York. , & (