An exploration of the practices of nurse prescribers who care for people with diabetes: a case study
Article first published online: 14 DEC 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 311–320, December 2009
How to Cite
Courtenay, M., Stenner, K. and Carey, N. (2009), An exploration of the practices of nurse prescribers who care for people with diabetes: a case study. Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness, 1: 311–320. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-9824.2009.01034.x
- Issue published online: 14 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 14 DEC 2009
- Submitted for publication: 19 July 2009 Accepted for publication: 9 October 2009
- Audit Commission (2000) Testing Times: A Review of Diabetes Services in England and Wales. Audit Commission, London.
- 2003) Setting standards based on patients’ views on access and continuity: secondary analysis of data from the general practice assessment survey. British Medical Journal 236, 258–260. , , & (
- 2007) Impact of nurse prescribing: a qualitative study. Journal of Advanced Nursing 59, 120–128. & (
- 2006) Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualitative Research in Psychology 3, 77–101. & (
- 2000) Age, gender, socioeconomic, and ethnic differences in patients’ assessments of primary health care. Quality in Health Care: QHC 10, 90–95. , & (
- 2007) A review of the activity and effects of nurse-led care in diabetes. Journal of Clinical Nursing 16, 294–304. & (
- 2008a) Preparing nurses to prescribe medicines for patients with diabetes: a national survey. Journal of Advanced Nursing 61, 291–299. & (
- 2008b) The prescribing practices of nurse independent prescribers caring for patients with diabetes. Practical Diabetes International 25, 1–6. & (
- 2009) Nurse prescriber-patient consultations: a case study in dermatology. Journal of Advanced Nursing 65, 1207–1217. , & (
- 1998) Introduction: entering the field of qualitative research. In Collecting and Interpreting Qualitative Material (DenzinNK & LincolnYS eds). Sage, London, pp. 1–34. & (
- Diabetes UK (2008) Diabetes Prevalence. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Professionals/information_resorces/Reports/Diabetes-prevalence-2008 (accessed 9 December 2008).
- DoH (2003) National Service Framework Diabetes. Department of Health, London.
- DoH (2006) Independent Prescribing by Nurses and Pharmacists within the NHS in England. A Guide for Implementation. Department of Health, London.
- DoH (2007) Working Together for Better Diabetes Care. DoH, London.
- DoH (2008) Five Years On: Delivering the NSF. DoH, London.
- Healthcare Commission (2007) Improving Services for People with Diabetes. Commission for Healthcare Audit and inspection, London.
- 2009) Diabetes specialist nurses and role evolvement: a survey by Diabetes UK and ABCD of specialist diabetes services 2007. Diabetes Medicine 26, 560–565. , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Mental health nurse supplementary prescribing: experiences of mental health nurses, psychiatrists and patients. Journal of Advanced Nursing 59, 488–496. , , , & (
- 2005) An Evaluation of Extended Formulary Independent Nurse Prescribing. Executive summary of final report. DoH, London. , , , , & (
- 2007a) Evaluating the clinical appropriateness of nurses’ prescribing practice: method development and findings from an expert panel analysis. Quality & Safety in Health Care 16, 415–421. , , & (
- 2007b) Perceptions and practice of concordance in nurses’ prescribing consultations: findings from a national questionnaire survey and case studies of practice in England. International Journal of Nursing Studies 44, 9–18. , , & (
- 2004) Substitution of doctors by nurses in primary care. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Art. No.: CD001271. , , , , & (
- NPC (2001) Maintaining Competencies in Prescribing: An Outline Framework to Help Nurses. NPC, Liverpool.
- 2001) What role do nurses play in Type 2 diabetes care in the community. Journal of Advanced Nursing 34, 179–188. , , , , & (
- 2006) Analysing qualitative data. In Qualitative Research in Health Care, 3rd edn (PopeC & MaysN eds). BMJ books, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, pp. 63–75. , & (
- 2000) The General Practice Assessment Survey (GPAS): tests of data quality and measurement properties. Family Practice 17, 372–379. , , , & (
- 1995) Triangles and crystals: on the geometry of qualitative research. Research in Nursing and Health 18, 569–573. (
- 1999) Nurse Specialists’ perceptions of their role and function in relation to starting an adult diabetic on insulin. Journal of Clinical Nursing 8, 512–518. (
- 1998) Case studies. In Strategies of Qualitative Enquiry (DenzinNK & LincolnYS eds). Sage, London, pp. 86–109. (
- 2008) The benefits of nurse prescribing according to nurses prescribing for patients in pain. Journal of Advanced Nursing 63, 27–35. & (
- 2004) Global prevalence of diabetes. Diabetes Care 27, 1047–1053. , & (
- 2002) Association of British Clinical Diabetologists (ABCD): survey of specialist diabetes care services in the UK, 2000.2. Workforce issues, roles and responsibilities of diabetes nurse specialists. Diabetic Medicine 19(Suppl. 4), 27–31. , & (
- 1994) Case Study Research Design and Methods, 2nd edn. Applied Social Research Methods Series, Volume 5. Sage, London. (