How nurse prescribing is being used in diabetes services: views of nurses and team members
Article first published online: 9 FEB 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 13–21, March 2010
How to Cite
Carey, N., Stenner, K. and Courtenay, M. (2010), How nurse prescribing is being used in diabetes services: views of nurses and team members. Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness, 2: 13–21. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-9824.2010.01043.x
- Issue published online: 9 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 9 FEB 2010
- Submitted for publication: 19 August 2009 Accepted for publication: 6 December 2009
- Audit Commission (2000) Testing Times: A Review of Diabetes Services in England and Wales. Audit Commission, London.
- 2004) Doctors’ views on supervising nurse prescribers. Prescriber 5, 56–61. , & (
- 2007) Impact of nurse prescribing: a qualitative study. Journal of Advanced Nursing 59, 120–128. & (
- 2006) Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualitative Research in Psychology 3, 77–101. & (
- 2007a) A review of the activity and effects of nurse-led care in diabetes. Journal of Clinical Nursing 16, 296–304. & (
- 2007b) Service delivery by nurse prescribers for diabetes care. Nurse Prescribing 5, 443–449. & (
- 2008) Nurse supplementary prescribing for patients with diabetes: a national questionnaire survey. Journal of Clinical Nursing 18, 2185–2193. & (
- 2009a) Stakeholder views on the impact of nurse prescribing on dermatology services. Journal of Clinical Nursing, [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.02874.x,. , & (
- 2009b) Views on implementing nurse prescribing in a specialist children’s hospital. Nurse Prescribing 7, 205–210. , & (
- 1998) How should we respond to the worldwide diabetes epidemic. Diabetes Care 21, 475–476. (
- 2007) Comparing nurses’ and doctors’ views of nurse prescribing: a questionnaire survey. Nurse Prescribing 5, 1–6. & (
- 2008a) Preparing nurses to prescribe medicines for patients with diabetes: findings from a national questionnaire survey. Journal of Advanced Nursing 61, 403–412. & (
- 2008b) The prescribing practices of nurse independent prescribers caring for patients with diabetes: findings from a national questionnaire survey. Practical Diabetes International 25, 1–5. & (
- 2008) A National Evaluation of Nurse Independent/Nurse Supplementary Prescribing in Diabetes: Final Report. University of Reading, Reading. , & (
- 2009) An exploration of the practice of nurse prescribers who care for people with diabetes: a case study. Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness 1, 311–320. , & (
- 2005) Group based training for self-management strategies in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus (Review). The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2. , , & (
- 2003) Management of uncontrolled hypertension in a nurse-led clinic compared with conventional care for patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 26, 2256–2260. , , & (
- DoH (1999) Saving Lives: Our Healthier Nation. DOH, London.
- DoH (2000) The NHS Plan: A Plan for Investment, A Plan for Reform. DOH, London.
- DoH (2002) Extending Independent Nurse Prescribing within the NHS in England: A Guide for Implementation. DOH, London.
- DoH (2003a) National Service Framework Diabetes. DOH, London.
- DoH (2003b) Supplementary Prescribing for Nurses and Pharmacists within the NHS in England. DOH, London.
- DoH (2005a) Supplementary Prescribing by Nurses, Pharmacists, Chiropodists, Podiatrists, Physiotherapists and Radiographers within NHS in England. A Guide for Implementation. DOH, London.
- DoH (2005b) General Medical Services (GMS) contract. DoH, London.
- DoH (2006a) Improving Patients’ Access to Medicines: A Guide to Implementing Nurse and Pharmacist Independent Prescribing within the NHS in England. DoH, London.
- DoH (2006b) Care planning in diabetes. DoH, London.
- DoH (2007) Shifting Care Closer to Home. DoH, London.
- Healthcare Commission (HCC) (2007) Managing Diabetes: Improving Services for Patients with Diabetes. Healthcare Commission, London.
- 2000) Nurse prescribers: infrastructures required to support their role. Nursing Standard 14, 35–39. & (
- 2003) Specialist nurse-led intervention to treat and control hypertension and hyperlipidemia in diabetes (SPLINT). Diabetes Care 26, 2250–2555. , , , , , , & (
- NMC (2006) Standards of Proficiency for Nurse and Midwife Prescribers. NMC, London.
- NMC (2009) Number of Independent Extended Nurse Prescribers. Personal Communication with NMC.
- 2002) The development needs of nurse prescribers. Nursing Standard 16, 33–38. (
- 1995) The Art of Case Study Research: Perspectives on Practice. Sage, London. (
- 2008a) Benefits of nurse prescribing for patients in pain:nurses’s views. Journal of Advanced Nursing 63, 27–55. & (
- 2008b) The role of inter-professional relationships and support for nurse prescribing in acute and chronic pain. Journal of Advanced Nursing 63, 276–283. & (