End-of-life care in acute hospitals: an integrative literature review
Version of Record online: 15 AUG 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 165–173, September 2011
How to Cite
Bloomer, M. J., Moss, C. and Cross, W. M. (2011), End-of-life care in acute hospitals: an integrative literature review. Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness, 3: 165–173. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-9824.2011.01094.x
- Issue online: 15 AUG 2011
- Version of Record online: 15 AUG 2011
- Submitted for publication: 25 October 2010 Accepted for publication: 18 February 2011
- 2010a) Health System Reform and Care and the End of Life: A Guidance Document. Palliative Care Australia, Canberra. & (
- 2010) Collaborative working in end-of-life care: Developing a guide for health and social care professionals. International Journal of Palliative Nursing 16, 120–125. (
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (2004) Peaceful Death: Recommended Competencies and Curricular Guidelines for End-of-Life Nursing Care. Available at: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Publications/deathfin.htm (accessed 17 September 2010).
- 2004) Patients’ experiences of palliative care in the home: A phenomenological study of a Swedish sample. Cancer Nursing 27, 65–70. & (
- 2004) Factors that influence the consideration of hastening death and people with life-threatening illnesses. Health and Social Work 29, 17–26. (
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2009) 2008 Deaths Australia Cat No. 3302.0.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2010) Australian Hospital Statistics 2006–07. Available at: http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/index.cfm/title/10587 (accessed 4 August 2010).
- 2005) Risk of post-traumatic stress symptoms in family members of intensive care unit patients. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 171, 987–994. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1998) Longitudinal study of elderly people admitted to residential and nursing homes: 18 months on. Personal Social Services Research Unit Bulletin P36. , , , & (
- 2009) Prevalence of advance care directives in aged care facilities of the Northern Illawarra. Emergency medicine Australasia 21, 379–385. (
- 2008) Iranian nurses’ preparation for loss: finding a balance in end-of-life care. Journal of Clinical Nursing 18, 2329–2336. , , & (
- 2004) Fostering hope in terminally ill patients. Nursing Standard 19, 33–41. & (
- 2010) End-of-life care pathways for improving outcomes in caring for the dying (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 1. & (
- 2008) Final Exam. A Surgeon’s Reflections on Mortality. Vintage Books, Random House, Inc, New York, NY. (
- 2007) End-of-life care around the world: Achievements to date and challenges remaining. Omega 56, 101–110. (
- 2003) Beyond MEDLINE for literature searches. Journal of Nursing Scholarship 35, 177–182. , , , , & (
- 2006) Understanding changing attitudes toward withdrawal and withholding life support in the intensive care unit. Critical Care Medicine 34, S317–S323. , , , & (
- 2009) Potter and Perry’s Fundamentals of Nursing, 3rd edn. Mosby Elsevier, Sydney. & (
- 2004) Consensus statements, positions, standards, and guidelines for pain and care at the end of life. Seminars in Oncology Nursing 20, 121–139. (
- Department of Health (2009) End of Life Care Strategy: First Annual Report. National Health Service, London. Available at: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_102444.pdf (accessed 15 March 2011).
- 2006) Introducing the Liverpool care pathway into nursing homes. Nursing Older People 18, 33–36. & (
- 2004) Elderly palliative care cancer patients’ descriptions of hope-fostering strategies. International Journal of Palliative Nursing 10, 352–359. & (
- Economist Intelligence Unit (2010) The quality of death: Ranking end-of-life care across the world: A report from the Economist Intelligence Unit. Economist Intelligence Unit. Available at: http://graphics.eiu.com/upload/QOD_main_final_edition_Jul12_toprint.pdf (accessed 15 March 2011).
- 2002) Clinical Pathways for care of the dying: an innovation to disseminate clinical excellence. Journal of Palliative Medicine 5, 617–623. (
- 2007) Care of the dying: What a difference an LCP makes. Palliative Medicine 21, 365–368. (
- 2003) Care of the dying patient: The last hours or days of life. British Medical Journal 326, 30–34. & (
- 2006) Factors predictive of preferred place of death in the general population of South Australia. Palliative Medicine 20, 447–453. , , & (
- 2004) Cluster randomisation or randomised consent as an appropriate methodology for trials in palliative care: A feasibility study. BMC Palliative Care 3, 1. , , & (
- General Medical Council (2010) Treatment and Care towards the End of Life: Good Practice in Decision-Making. General Medical Council, London.
- 2010) End of life care policies: Do they make a difference in practice? Social Science and Medicine 70, 1166–1170. (
- 2000) At life’s end, many patients are denied peaceful passing: Planning for death. New York Times, May 29, 2000. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2000/05/29/us/at-life-s-end-many-patients-are-denied-peaceful-passing.html (accessed 15 March 2011). (
- 2007) Audit of the care of the dying in a network of hospitals and institutions in Queensland. Internal Medicine Journal 37, 315–319. , , & (
- 2005) End of life care in acute care hospitals in Canada: A quality finish? Journal of Palliative Care 21, 142–150. , , , , & (
- 2005) End-of-life care: Lessons from other nations. Journal of Palliative Medicine 8, S161–S173. (
- 2005) Focus. Promoting end-of-life care in nursing homes using an ‘integrated care pathway for the last days of life’. Journal of Research in Nursing 10, 135–152. , & (
- 2008) ACP releases recommendations for palliative care at the end of life. American Family Physician 78, 1095–1096. (
- 2009) Editorial: The beginning of the end (of life care strategy). Journal of Clinical Nursing 18, 935–937. , & (
- 2003) Nurses’ perceptions of the Liverpool care pathway for the dying patient in the acute hospital setting. International Journal of Palliative Nursing 9, 375–381. , , & (
- 2006) Barriers to hospice care for African Americans: problems and solutions. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing 2, 65–72. , , , & (
- 2009) The development and implementation of the pathway for improving the care of the dying in general medical wards. Internal Medicine Journal 39, 695–699. , & (
- 2005) Improving end-of-life care: Why has it been so difficult? Hastings Center Report 35, S2–S4. (
- 2009) Ethics and advance care planning in a culturally diverse society. Journal of transcultural nursing 20, 405–416. & (
- 2010) What is a clinical pathway? Development of a definition to inform the debate. BMC Medicine 8, 31. , , , & (
- 2005) Allow natural death: A more humane approach to discussing end-of-life directives. Journal of Emergency Nursing 31, 560–561. & (
- 2009) Hope in palliative care: An integrative review. Palliative and supportive care 7, 365–377. , , & (
- 2005) Methodological approaches for a systematic review of end-of-life care. Journal of Palliative Medicine 8, S4–S11. , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2003) Patterns of functional decline at the end of life. Journal of the American Medical Association 2879, 2387–2392. , , , & (
- 2007) Best practice for care in the last days of life. Working with Older People 11, 25–28. , & (
- 2005) Illness trajectories and palliative care. British Medical Journal 330, 1007–1011. , , & (
- 2000) Advance Care Planning in residential care. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Medicine 30, 339–343. , , , & (
- National Consensus Project for Quality Palliative Care (2004) Clinical practice guidelines for quality palliative care, executive summary. Journal of Palliative Medicine 7, 611–627.
- Palliative and end-of-life care in the emergency department: Guidelines for nurses. Journal of Emergency Nursing (in press). , & (In press)
- NSW Health (2005) Guidelines for End-of-Life Care and Decision-Making. NSW Health, North Sydney, NSW.
- 2005) Introduction: Papers from the national institutes of health state-of-the-science conference on improving end-of-life care. Journal of Palliative Medicine 8, S1–S3. (
- Palliative Care Australia (2008) Palliative Care Australia. Available at: http://www.palliativecare.org.au/Portals/46/PCA%20Submission%20to%20NHHRC.pdf (accessed 15 July 2010).
- 2009) Introduction of the Liverpool care pathway for the end of life care to emergency medicine. Emergency Medicine Journal 26, 777–779. , , , , & (
- 2005) Symptoms of anxiety and depression in family members of intensive care unit patients before discharge or death. A prospective multicenter study. Journal of Critical Care 20, 90–96. , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Synthesizing Qualitative and Quantitative Health Evidence. A Guide to Methods. McGraw Hill, Open University Press, Berkshire. , & (
- 2010) Use of the proportion of patients dying in and End of Life Pathway as a quality marker: Considerations for interpretation. Palliative Medicine 24, 544–547. , & (
- 2007) Nursing and Midwifery Research: Methods and Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice, 3rd edn. Mosby Elsevier, Marrickville. , , , & (
- 2007) Patient advocacy and Advance Care Planning in the acute hospital setting. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 24, 29–36. (
- 2007) Place of Death of People with Cancer in NSW. Cancer Institute NSW, Sydney. , , & (
- 2007) Process mapping: enhancing the implementation of the Liverpool care pathway. International Journal of Palliative Nursing 13, 163–167. & (
- 2006) ‘Changing lanes’. Facilitating the transition from curative to palliative care. Journal of Palliative Care 22, 91–98. , & (
- 2009) Policy Issues in end-of-life care. Journal of Professional Nursing 25, 363–368. & (
- 2008) Recommendations for end-of-life care in the intensive care unit: A consensus statement by the American College of Critical Care Medicine. Critical Care Medicine 36, 953–963. , , , , , , & (
- 2006) Audit of the Liverpool care pathway for the dying patient in a Dutch cancer hospital. Journal of Palliative Care 22, 305–308. , , , , , & (
- 2008) The effect of the Liverpool care pathway for the dying: A multi-centre study. Palliative Medicine 22, 145–151. , , , , , & (
- 2009) Clinical pathways as a healthcare tool: design, implementation and assessment of a clinical pathway for lower-extremity deep venous thrombosis. Quality and Safety in Health Care 18, 314–320. , , , & (
- 2008) Respectful death: A model for end-of-life care. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing 12, 621–626. (
- 2003) End-of-life care in the United States: Policy issues and model programs of integrated care. International Journal of Integrated Care 3, 1–11. & (
- 2005) Combining evidence in nursing research; Methods and implications. Nursing Research 54, 56–62. (
- 2005) The integrative review: Updated methodology. Journal of Advanced Nursing 52, 546–553. & (
- World Health Organization (2004) Better Palliative Care for Older People. World Health Organization. Available at: http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/98235/E82933.pdf (accessed 15 March 2011).
- World Health Organization (2009) WHO Definition of Palliative Care. Available at: http://www.who.int/cancer/palliative/definition/ed (accessed 13 July 2010).
- 2001) Caring for dying infants: Experiences of neonatal intensive care nurses in Hong Kong. Journal of Clinical Nursing 10, 651–659. , & (