The findings and conclusions in this article are those of the authors and do not represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Prevalence and correlates of metabolic syndrome based on a harmonious definition among adults in the US*
Version of Record online: 23 APR 2010
Published 2010. This article is a US Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
Journal of Diabetes
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 180–193, September 2010
How to Cite
FORD, E. S., LI, C. and ZHAO, G. (2010), Prevalence and correlates of metabolic syndrome based on a harmonious definition among adults in the US. Journal of Diabetes, 2: 180–193. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-0407.2010.00078.x
- Issue online: 16 AUG 2010
- Version of Record online: 23 APR 2010
- Received 20 January 2010; revised 8 April 2010; accepted 11 April 2010.
- 1Risks for all-cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes associated with the metabolic syndrome: a summary of the evidence. Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 1769–78..
- 2Metabolic syndrome and incident diabetes: current state of the evidence. Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 1898–904., , .
- 3Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation. Diabet Med. 1998; 15: 539–53., .
- 4World Health Organization. Definition, diagnosis, and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Report of a WHO consultation. Part I: diagnosis and clasisfication of diabetes mellitus. World Health Organization, Geneva, 1999.
- 5Comment on the provisional report from the WHO consultation. European Group for the Study of Insulin Resistance (EGIR). Diabet Med. 1999; 16: 442–3., .
- 6Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults. Executive summary of the Third Report of The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA. 2001; 285: 2486–97.
- 7Definitions of the insulin resistance syndrome: the 1st World Congress on the Insulin Resistance Syndrome. Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 824–30..
- 8Definition of metabolic syndrome: Report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Heart Association conference on scientific issues related to definition. Circulation. 2004; 109: 433–8., , , , .
- 9The metabolic syndrome: a new worldwide definition. Lancet. 2005; 366: 1059–62., , .
- 10Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement. Circulation. 2005; 112: 2735–52., , et al.
- 11Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the International Diabetes Federation Task Force on Epidemiology and Prevention; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; American Heart Association; World Heart Federation; International Atherosclerosis Society; and International Association for the Study of Obesity. Circulation. 2009; 120: 1640–5., , et al.
- 12Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. 2009. Available from: http://wwwcdcgov/nchs/nhaneshtm, accessed 13 July 2009.
- 13US Department of Health and Human Services. 2008 Physical activity guidelines for Americans. ODPHP Publication No. U0036. 2008. Available from: http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/pdf/paguide.pdf, accessed 20 January 2010.
- 14A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate. Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604–12., , et al.
- 15Prevalence of metabolic syndrome among adults 20 years of age and over, by sex, age, race and ethnicity, and body mass index: United States, 2003–2006. Natl Health Stat Report. 2009; (13): 1–7..
- 16Self-reported prevalence and awareness of metabolic syndrome: findings from SHIELD. Int J Clin Pract. 2008; 62: 1168–76., , , .
- 17Effectiveness of therapeutic lifestyle changes in patients with hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and/or hyperglycemia. Am J Cardiol. 2004; 94: 1558–61., , et al.
- 18Epidemiology and treatment of the metabolic syndrome. Ann Med. 2004; 36: 332–46., , , , .
- 19Metabolic syndrome: epidemiology and more extensive phenotypic description. Cross-sectional data from the Bruneck Study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003; 27: 1283–9., , et al.
- 20Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among US adults: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. JAMA. 2002; 287: 356–9., , .
- 21Full accounting of diabetes and pre-diabetes in the U.S. population in 1988–1994 and 2005–2006. Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 287–94., , et al.