Maternal iron status: relation to fetal growth, length of gestation, and iron endowment of the neonate
Article first published online: 1 NOV 2011
© 2011 International Life Sciences Institute
Special Issue: Iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia in early infancy; etiology, consequences, prevalence, and prevention
Volume 69, Issue Supplement s1, pages S23–S29, November 2011
How to Cite
Scholl, T. O. (2011), Maternal iron status: relation to fetal growth, length of gestation, and iron endowment of the neonate. Nutrition Reviews, 69: S23–S29. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00429.x
- Issue published online: 1 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 2011
- 2World Health Organization. Worldwide Prevalence of Anaemia Report 1993–2005: WHO Global Database on Anaemia. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008. Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2008/9789241596657_eng.pdf. Accessed 15 September 2010.
- 3Paediatric Nutrition Surveillance 2008. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2009., , , , .
- 4Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc. Washington DC: National Academy Press; 2001.
- 5Centers for Disease Control. Recommendations to prevent and control iron deficiency in the United States. MMWR Recomm Rep. 1998;47:1–36.
- 6Institute of Medicine. Nutrition during Pregnancy. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1990.
- 7U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for Iron Deficiency Anemia in Childhood and Pregnancy: Update of the 1996 U.S. Preventive Task Force Review. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2006. Report No.: 06-0590-EF-1. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20722137. Accessed 3 September 2010.
- 11Anemia and iron deficiency anemia, compilation of data on pregnancy outcome. Am J Clin Nutr. 1994;59(Suppl):S492–S501., .
- 16Maternal haemoglobin and premature child delivery. East Mediterr Health J. 1998;4:480–486., , , .
- 33Perinatal aspects of iron metabolism. Acta Paediatr Suppl. 2002;438:124–129., .
- 34Iron balance and iron nutrition in infancy. Acta Paediatr Suppl. 2003;441:82–85., , , .
- 40Anemia and iron deficiency: Effects on pregnancy outcome. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000;71(Suppl):S1280–S1284..
- 45Maternal, Fetal, & Neonatal Physiology: A Clinical Perspective, 3rd ed. New York, NY: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2007..