Iron deficiency and iron-deficiency anemia in the first two years of life: strategies to prevent loss of developmental potential
Article first published online: 1 NOV 2011
© 2011 International Life Sciences Institute
Special Issue: Iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia in early infancy; etiology, consequences, prevalence, and prevention
Volume 69, Issue Supplement s1, pages S64–S70, November 2011
How to Cite
Black, M. M., Quigg, A. M., Hurley, K. M. and Pepper, M. R. (2011), Iron deficiency and iron-deficiency anemia in the first two years of life: strategies to prevent loss of developmental potential. Nutrition Reviews, 69: S64–S70. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00435.x
- Issue published online: 1 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 2011
- 2Worldwide prevalence of anemia in pre-school aged children, pregnant women and non-pregnant women of reproductive age. In: Kraemer K, Zimmermann M, eds. Nutritional Anemia. Basel, Switzerland: Sight and Life Press; 2007:1–12., , , , .
- 7Iron therapy for improving psychomotor development and cognitive function in children under the age of three with iron deficiency anaemia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001:CD001444., , .
- 20A review of studies on the effect of iron deficiency on cognitive development in children. J Nutr. 2001;131(Suppl):S649–S668., .
- 29Iron biology in immune function, muscle metabolism and neuronal functioning. J Nutr. 2001;131(Suppl):S568–S579..
- 34World Health Organization, Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, Mental Health: Evidence and Research. Mental Health Atlas 2005, Rev ed. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2005.
- 35World Health Organization., Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse. Maternal mental health and child health and development in low and middle income countries: Report of the meeting held in Geneva, Switzerland, 30 January–1 February. Geneva: World Health Organization;2008.
- 40Iron deficiency alters brain development and functioning. J Nutr. 2003;133(Suppl):S1468–S1472..
- 45Maternal depression and early childhood growth in developing countries. In: Preedy VR, ed. The Handbook of Growth and Growth Monitoring in Health and Disease. In press., , .
- 54Guidelines for the Use of Iron Supplements to Prevent and Treat Iron Deficiency Anemia. Washington, DC: ILSI Press; 1998., .
- 60World Health Organization. Secretariate on behalf of the participants to the consultation. Conclusions and recommendations of the WHO consultation on prevention and control of iron deficiency in infants and young children in malaria-endemic areas. Food Nutr Bull. 2007;28(Suppl):S671–S627.
- 62Commentary: Cochrane review on oral iron supplementation for preventing or treating anaemia among children in malaria-endemic areas. Int J Epidemiol. 2010;39:34–35..